Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #151
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
Oh that will be crappy.

Dd will be going to NYC in a couple weeks during Spring Break with drama teacher chaperones and other kids. So excited for her.
And tomorrow have a guidance counselor meeting to discuss her goals and what course.path to take.

DS chose his courses for next year about a month or so ago so that is done. I can't believe how fast this year is going!

NYC sounds like fun.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #152
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr View Post
I just saw this thread so I thought I would Join in!

DD14 is our 2nd out of 5 kiddos. our oldest is a Freshman in college. What was I thinking?!

With DD14 we are looking at colleges and ideas way before the end of her Jr year as we had done with older sis.
DS15 has decided that he wants to go into the United States Naval Academy. Not sure where he came up with that idea. I told him to keep thinking of other places to apply to just because not everyone gets into their first choice.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #153
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

So far DD is doing well this year. All A's so far- this semester she has Honors Geometry, Honors Biology, Honors World History, and Software Development. She also made the JV soccer team, so she has had practices and games every day after school since mid-February. They just finished registering online for next years' classes- seems like sophomore year is hurtling toward us!!
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #154
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Let's keep this going for the Class of 2016!

How was the school year for everyone?

What's happening for sophomore year?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #155
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

DD's freshman year went great! and she is really excited for her sophomore year.

Last year they got a new choir/showchoir director and he is WONDERFUL!! He is really expanding the program and has the kids absolutely loving all the changes he is making.

Next year will be expensive but, I think, great opportunity wise with the travel and things he has planned. They will perform all over Washington DC in the spring and in the fall they will travel to several universities to perform with the choirs and work with the university directors.

Academically, she really excelled like never before. The teachers at her high school just seem to pull kids out and really get them to learn and enjoy it!! DD's downfall has always been English. Not anymore!

They are on the block schedule so English I was a one semester class. She met the teacher just before Christmas and the semester break. Dd thought she was going to hate the lady and kept saying "but she is soooo OCD". It turned out that teacher ended up being one of her favorites and she has even inspired dd to read some books that I never thought she would read.

I will say there were some shocks to the "high school world" with the behavior of some students especially the girls! Way more uhmmm. . . "looseness" than I expected. DD was shocked too! But after the first 9 weeks, she found her place with friends that she is comfortable with and of course she always has her bff.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #156
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Dd enjoyed her Freshman year,so I am very happy she acclimated so easily.

Next year: drivers ed for her 2 nd semester
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #157
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago
Dd enjoyed her Freshman year,so I am very happy she acclimated so easily.

Next year: drivers ed for her 2 nd semester
DD15 also acclimated very easily. I was stunned. She maintained straight As all year, and marched in the Sugar Bowl in NOLA.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #158
My2Cinderellas
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm late to this party but better late than never. My oldest is going to be a sophomore this year, last year didn't really feel like high school since our district groups grades together differently. We have K-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12 buildings.

Band camp is August 5-9 and then classes start on the 15th. Class schedule is planned out for the next 3 years to fit everything in. It's going to go fast!

"I'd like to stop people from passing off narrow-mindedness and intolerance as family values." - Alan Shore, Boston Legal
My2Cinderellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #159
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cinderellas View Post
Hi! I'm late to this party but better late than never. My oldest is going to be a sophomore this year, last year didn't really feel like high school since our district groups grades together differently. We have K-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12 buildings.

Band camp is August 5-9 and then classes start on the 15th. Class schedule is planned out for the next 3 years to fit everything in. It's going to go fast!
DD starts back the 6th! And her choir director has them starting back on July 29th with regular practice and such.

It is going to go back too fast. DD wants to be a make up artist and plans to go to school in NOLA. She has been talking to some in the profession that have suggested a certain school there. Last year when she was talking about visiting the school, it seemed soooo far away but now it seems like its so CLOSE!!!

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #160
Pikester
DIS Veteran

School here starts August 26th. DS15 got is schedule in the mail a couple of weeks ago and we had to contact the school to have one of his classes changed. To free up his time he is taking an online health class approved by the school but they forgot and added it in for this school year. Now he needs to pick out a different half a year class to fill in that space.

I think he is looking forward to getting the year started. Me, I'm nervous as my DS12 is going Into 7th grade which is in the same building as the high school kids. They keep them as separated from the HS kids as they can but just knowing I have two kids in the high school makes me feel old.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #161
Kimberlyann11
Mouseketeer

I am late to the party as I just discovered this board not too long ago.

Lat year was good for DD. She managed to get straight A's for the second semester, which was an improvement over the first. Band camp starts at the end of this month. School here always starts the Tuesday after labor day.

This weekend is band awards. She got enough points to get a letter jacket. $$$$ She is proud of that accomplishment.
Kimberlyann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #162
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

I am also late to the party, just saw this thread. My ds won't go back until after Labor Day. He has 5 books for summer reading, none of which have been started yet. But I can't complain too much, this week he is doing community service in another state with our church.

DS announced he is willing to to go NYU, U of Chicago or Boston University. I am equally certain DH is not willing to pay full tuition at any of those schools. I'm looking forward to learning more about when we need to get ready for SATs, have him seriously look at schools in a realistic way, etc. I think the time is at hand!

Maria

Worfiedoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #163
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

DD had a good freshman year. All A's for the year- 5 honors courses and 3 non-honors electives. Her JV soccer team had a great season, and DD scored 2 game winning goals (a big deal for her, since she usually isn't a big scorer).

So far, the summer has been fun, but very busy for her. Between soccer training and camp, vacation with the family, vacation with a friend's family, and vacation with her Grammy, she has had almost no free time to just hang out.

She only has one book to read for English class this summer- Night by Elie Wiesel. I put it on her Kindle the day school got out for the summer, and I bet she hasn't started it yet.

School starts 8/26- they will get their schedules for the year a week or so before class starts. She wants to take Drivers Ed this year, also- I guess I need to get her registered.

Looking forward to sophomore year!!
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #164
suzcruz
Mouseketeer

I just found this thread too, only 1 year late lol! My only child DD15 starts 10th grade on August 20th. She too has summer reading and has not read one page yet! Its interesting to see the number and variety of classes kids can take, her school only offers basically core classes. She ended up with a 3.8 for the year and is not taking any AP classes (only one is offered AP European History) and one honors class, English. She also will be taking regular chemistry, world history, algebra 2 & Spanish 2. The issue is whether she will get the good teachers or not & we will find out her schedule a week before school. Hard to say what her college plans are yet (given that they don't have test scores yet & the gpa is subject to a lot of changes) but she is going! Hope that she will stay on the west coast but she has visited and likes the east coast too.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #165
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Emily starts school on the 7th. She had a pretty good freshman year, some of the typical friendship shifts you get as classmates start to go their separate ways in coursework. She finally did her summer reading this week and is working on getting her papers done before our vacation Friday, so she can relax that final week before school starts.

I honestly can't remember all the classes she's signed up for this year. AP English and Geometry, Anatomy and Physiology and another science (I forget, but not chemistry, something else), 3D art (I think), phys ed, Spanish II, and (I think) some form of government or history. Could be a crazy year. She was thinking about getting a job, but now has decided to wait and see how hard her coursework is first. She'll get her license in January, and by then she'll know if she can handle a job or not. So, we'll see how that goes.

January 2017.

Last edited by indimom; 07-18-2013 at 03:21 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: