Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Holly Quinlan
This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Ya. Still good.

4 year old terrified of new bed

Just purchased my 4 almost 5 year old DS a new loft style bed. His room is so small I thought it would help with the small space. We spent the whole evening yesterday putting it together and my son wouldn't go near it. I showed it to him in the store before we purchased it and he said he liked it. He had to sleep with us last night because he would just cry and shake when we tried to help him up the ladder.

Today he allowed us to lift him onto the bed and the first thing out of his mouth was how cool it was. He spend quite a bit of time up there but when I went to help him down he freaked out again screaming and crying that he was so scared. I spent probably an hour trying to talk him down eventually I was able to just grab his leg and pull him to me and lift him down I don't think its taller than a regular bunk bed so its not THAT high but now I wish I would have waited.

Any tips/ideas to help him get over his fear

Holly Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

How about a body pillow he can put between him and the edge? Is there space for a mirror that will reflect the ladder so he can see where he is putting his feet when he is getting down?

olwyngdh is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
bittybabygrower
Mouseketeer

I'd throw a mattress on the floor and let him sleep there, he'll eventually get used to it 😀 especially when he has friends over and think it is cool 😀
bittybabygrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Holly Quinlan
This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Ya. Still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwyngdh View Post
How about a body pillow he can put between him and the edge? Is there space for a mirror that will reflect the ladder so he can see where he is putting his feet when he is getting down?
He's not afraid of the edge when he is up there he looks over the edge and laughs but I might throw a body pillow up there for my own piece of mind. Love the mirror idea. Thanks

Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Holly Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittybabygrower View Post
I'd throw a mattress on the floor and let him sleep there, he'll eventually get used to it �� especially when he has friends over and think it is cool ��
I think I will do this tonight

Old 12-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Maybe he needs a bed rail for a little while until he gets used to it? Or a chair or some kind of stool that he can use for climbing up and down.

I'd go in his room with him, hang out in there sitting on the bed, maybe read some books or a play a game together sitting on the bed and get him used to being there awake, until he is comfortable.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

4 is a bit young for a loft bed. I thought they recommended that kids be over 6 to use an upper bunk. I'm not surprised he's scared. He really isn't ready fot the that type of bed. I think you should move the mattress to the floor until he is more comfortable with it.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

Take it back. Totally unsafe for that age…you can't even see him to check on him if he needs you

We just got one for our 10 year old and I hate it. I can't see her, and making the bed is impossible!

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Quinlan View Post
Just purchased my 4 almost 5 year old DS a new loft style bed. His room is so small I thought it would help with the small space. We spent the whole evening yesterday putting it together and my son wouldn't go near it. I showed it to him in the store before we purchased it and he said he liked it. He had to sleep with us last night because he would just cry and shake when we tried to help him up the ladder.

Today he allowed us to lift him onto the bed and the first thing out of his mouth was how cool it was. He spend quite a bit of time up there but when I went to help him down he freaked out again screaming and crying that he was so scared. I spent probably an hour trying to talk him down eventually I was able to just grab his leg and pull him to me and lift him down I don't think its taller than a regular bunk bed so its not THAT high but now I wish I would have waited.

Any tips/ideas to help him get over his fear
Ouch, that is a tough one.

I think having the mattress on the floor is a good attempt to see if he warms up to the loft bed.

I would not push the issue since he is still young and you want them to have good sleep. Nothing worse than a kid having sleep issues because of a bed.

If after a couple of weeks he has not warmed up to the idea, I would probably disassemble and put it up until he is older. If you can take it back, I would do that first though and get him a different bed.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
DisneyJules
I LOVE BONO!
I wish everyone could experience the magic of Disney

My first bed at the age of 4 was a loft bed. I do remember my parents installing an extra safety railing so I wouldn't fall out! It sounds like perhaps he's intimidated by the ladder? All in good time. He's still pretty young, as others said perhaps a mattress on the floor for time being would work. But I'm sure a bit of practicing going up and down the ladder will bring him around. I just had to say, I really loved having a loft bed growing up, I still kind of miss it as an adult.

WDW 1985, 1987, 1988
WDW March 1992
WDW (7/31- 8/14) 1996
Disneyland July 2000
WDW Feb 2004
WDW June-August 2005
WDW May 2006
DisneyJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeetoo View Post
4 is a bit young for a loft bed. I thought they recommended that kids be over 6 to use an upper bunk. I'm not surprised he's scared. He really isn't ready fot the that type of bed. I think you should move the mattress to the floor until he is more comfortable with it.
Oh...now that I re-read I have to agree with this. When I read the first post, I thought that the OP was talking about a captains bed, not a loft bed. I would never put a child under the age of maybe 8 or 9 in a loft or top bunk. We did buy our daughter a captains bed when she was about 6, and we used a rail for a couple years even with the captains bed.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

If you can put a 2nd mattress under the loft, I'd do that. Let him play supervised on the loft, and sleep under it. For another year at least.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Holly Quinlan

We ended up moving the mattress to the bottom and will try again when he's older

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: