Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #76
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Band camp starts tomorrow. We found a flute for $20 at church that was going to be sold at the garage sale on Sunday. We bought it early, even though nobody can play it yet. I think we have 9 instruments in the house, now: French horn, mellophone, trumpet, trombone, wooden recorder, two guitars, a keyboard, and now a flute.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR

Last edited by FlightlessDuck; 08-12-2012 at 11:32 PM.
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #77
KiminChicago
I start to feel anxiety if I don't have two or three books waiting to be read.

It's funny how the instruments seem to multiply, isn't it? We were on vacation in Michigan last week and stopped in at Greenfield Village. The only souvenir DS wanted was a maple fife . So between DS and DD we currently own 1 piano, 3 (!) clarinets (we just bought DS a new Buffet R13 on the advice of his instructors), 1 saxophone, 2 violins, 2 guitars, 1 wooden recorder, 2 plastic recorders and now a fife. DS's clarinet instructor has also suggested he learn how to play the flute, so that may also be in our future....

ETA: How could I have forgotten the ukulele and the electronic keyboard?

Last edited by KiminChicago; 08-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.
KiminChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #78
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We don't have quite as many instruments in our house- one trumpet, an electric guitar, a bass guitar, several amps, and a drum set that seems to multiply in pieces every so often (we have an extra snare drum...among other things)- but our most recent acquisition is a bagpipe chanter for my DS13. He is calling it his back up instrument. If he doesn't make the HS band on percussion next year, he is hoping to make the bagpipe corps.

So- just a few instruments at home- but they are the loudest ones! Thank goodness we have great and understanding neighbors!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #79
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I would *love* it if my DS had a chanter... I went to high school at St. Thomas Episcopal, where their pipe & drum corps has won the world championship highland games 5 times, and it still gives me goosebumps to hear that music. Hearing them practice on their chanters out in the courtyard every day brings back very fond memories.

I guess I'll have to settle for DS's wailing (in an awesome way!) sax, a couple screaming electric guitars, and his Rock Band drums (not quite as loud as real drums, so I'll take it.) Plus a few assorted other novelty instruments including a banjo, ukelele, and some carved flute thing from Roatan that is one of his prized posessions.

He was playing some of their new show music around the house this weekend, and I really really like it so far! So much faster and more intricate than last year's, which is good -- this is a State year, and they really need to step it up. We have the parent preview this Thursday night -- Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #80
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Had never thought about how many instruments we have! Drum set, percussion kit (bells, snare, etc) trumpet, trombone, two rented tubas, piano, acustic guitar, electric guitar, and at least two plastic recorders. DS17 also has flute type things from several different countries that hes visited.

School starts Wednesday! Band rehearsal today from 4-6. Tomorrow they play for the teachers assembly, and tubas are having a sectional. Wednesday will be inside rehearsal, so they dont have to go to school sweaty. Thursday the 7 a.m. Rehearsals, and sweaty school days! Thursday nights are rehearsal from 6-9, starting this week! By Friday they will be exhausted!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #81
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Band Camp started this morning. So far DH got a text from DD that she survived the morning. Fortunately we have a little break in the weather and it is only in the 80's for now.

We are fortunate that we only have clarinets! Well technically we have my old flute under the bed upstairs but it would have to have a complete overhaul to be played, and not sure that would even make it playable. We have, I think, 4 clarinets. If DH finds one on ebay or craigslist for cheap he buys it. DD16 has one for marching season and one for concert season and a spare. Then when DD12 decided she was going to play clarinet a friend passed on one for a great price from their daughter who had quit band. After the first time we had to pay to have DD16's clarinet overhauled DH decided that he better learn to fix them on his own! So it is good to have extras for them to use while he is tinkering.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #82
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

well, DD14 has survived band camp. they have 2 all-day practices tomorrow and thursday (8:00am-3:00pm, with a 2 hour lunch break), then school starts on monday, and they'll practice every afternoon after school.

yesterday, DH and i decided to do a one-day, ambush birthday trip to wdw for DD next month-gotta e-mail the band director and see if she can leave the football game right after the halftime show the night before! hehehehehehe! got the trip all booked and the dining reservation made, just have to call the "cake hotline" and order a birthday cake!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #83
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Week 3 of band camp here and the whining has subsided a bit This Saturday is our annual march around the neighborhood. I've volunteered to walk with one of the groups (they split the band into two groups and march 2 different routes, thus maximizing visibility AND donation potential ) I'd like to find one of those misting fan bottle things to carry with me to help with the 100-degree heat that day. Any suggestions on where I can find one this late in the season?
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #84
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post
Week 3 of band camp here and the whining has subsided a bit This Saturday is our annual march around the neighborhood. I've volunteered to walk with one of the groups (they split the band into two groups and march 2 different routes, thus maximizing visibility AND donation potential ) I'd like to find one of those misting fan bottle things to carry with me to help with the 100-degree heat that day. Any suggestions on where I can find one this late in the season?
Our Wal-Mart has them in the camping or fitness area. The marching around the neighborhood sounds cool!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #85
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Reed Allergy! Has anyone heard of this? I think DD has it. Every year during band camp she gets a painful itchy rash right below her lip that is really awful and ends up infected. This time I googled it and it looks like this is Reed Allergy. She has a nickle allergy so she already has problems with her fingertips breaking out.

Going to talk to the Band Director in the morning to see what he recommends. Looks like we will need to switch her to a plastic reed at least for band camp. Shorter exposure like with class doesn't seem to be a problem but the exposure to the reed for several hours a day at camp is causing a problem.

Quote:
That sounds really cool. Where does the donation part come in?

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #86
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
Our Wal-Mart has them in the camping or fitness area. The marching around the neighborhood sounds cool!
I'll look there - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
That sounds really cool. Where does the donation part come in?
I've never heard of a reed allergy before - the poor thing! I'd be interested to know what the band director says about that.

The donations are given by people for personal concerts at their homes along the routes. They get to pick what songs are played for them from our list of stand tunes. Sometimes multiple families will get together and have their personal concerts at neighborhood parks. And while we're playing, sometimes other people around will give donations to the band as well. The two routes meet back up at the school where we sell BBQ plates (food donated by a local business), and this year we're adding desserts with silent/live cake auctions and cake walks.
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #87
hemispheredancer
DVC/OKW 2000

DD is at band camp all week. She is section leader and 1st chair clarinet. The theme this year is the Beatles.

Breathe in...Breathe out...Move on...

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dgj8lpomwtg9m.png[/img]
hemispheredancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #88
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Talked to her band director today and asked if he has heard of a Reed Allergy and he kind of looked at me like I had 3 heads! He has the new Middle School band director with him and they both were like but he said he was sure it was possible. He suggested we try sanding down her current new reed to see if it might be irritation but then decided to let her try his plastic reed instead. We need to get her one but it will have to be ordered online so not sure what we will do for the rest of the week. She has a friend that has one she isn't using so we may see if we can borrow it.

Quote:
I've never heard of a reed allergy before - the poor thing! I'd be interested to know what the band director says about that.

The donations are given by people for personal concerts at their homes along the routes. They get to pick what songs are played for them from our list of stand tunes. Sometimes multiple families will get together and have their personal concerts at neighborhood parks. And while we're playing, sometimes other people around will give donations to the band as well. The two routes meet back up at the school where we sell BBQ plates (food donated by a local business), and this year we're adding desserts with silent/live cake auctions and cake walks.
That sounds so cool! We just lost our major source of fundraising so I may put this suggestion out there. I know we have families from the local houses that come out and sit in the grass and watch while the kids are practicing.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #89
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I just found this thread!! My dd 15 is in her second year of Marching Band. We love, love, love it! We just had our first football game of the season last night, and got a preview of their show. Our theme this year is "The Suite Life", with all the famous musical suites, starting out with the Nutcracker...with the guard having all sorts of candy props...and more "sweet" surprises he is keeping under wraps for now!

We will be at BOA in PA, and Super Regionals in Atlanta. Where is everyone traveling to? Off to read the whole thread.
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #90
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

I caught up! To catch up on the conversations...

Our fair share was $950 this year. We personally do not like to fundraise, and refuse to go door to door. We just pay for this out of our pockets. There are plenty of ways for parents to earn all of that money should they choose to (and many do). Additional costs are shoes $35, and yearly t-shirt $12. And of course any spending money for competitions/performances/trips.

Let's see...we also have a collection of instruments! DD's primary is her trumpet, she has two. We also have a piano, bass guitar, electric guitar and amps, violin and a french horn. Dd can play them all, but her love is her trumpet! She is first chair this year. She is the lone female trumpet in the band!

I am one of the band moms, but not in the die hard group! We volunteer at most, attend all and donate food, water, drinks etc constantly. But some of those band moms eat, sleep and breathe the program! I appreciate all their hard work and effort!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: