Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

DD is a Jr. this year. Band camp starts in 2 weeks, rehearsals and uniform fittings start next week. DD is one of the Uniform Managers this year and I have offered to help with fittings. I have not been involved at all with band up until now but we had a lot of active mom's graduate so I am going to step up a little more. My bff is in charge of band camp so I told her to just put me on call for whatever she needs.

For band camp they can wear just about anything-- most wear tank tops. But they have theme days most every day like crazy hat day, cartoon character day, nerd day, decades (80's, 60's etc), togas, gender bender etc so they can be a site to see! Once school starts they have to wear a white t-shirt and shorts for after school practices. They get a show t-shirt that is always white and they have to wear it under their uniforms for all performances.

They are doing Les Mis this year. Not sure what all they have planned. They went to Universal last Spring and I guess they are going to Canada this year and Disney next year. Not sure if DD will go on the trips.

ETA: About an hour after I wrote this I got a call from a friend regarding a different board we are on and by the end of the conversation I had agreed to take on a committee position for band. So much for easing my way in over the next 6 years!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 07-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #32
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

Hi all- DS (freshman) told me last nite after practice that he and another person have been given the same spot on the field. He was told that he and this other person would be splitting the position (one does games, one does competitions). Is this common?
TIA!
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #33
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanutedmansionmomma View Post
Hi all- DS (freshman) told me last nite after practice that he and another person have been given the same spot on the field. He was told that he and this other person would be splitting the position (one does games, one does competitions). Is this common?
TIA!
In our band they are called "shadows.". Usually its lkiddos that are less strong in marching...which is usually Freshmen. DS17 was a shadow his first year. Here they both come to all rehersals, marching side by side, and they rotate each game and sometimes each competition. Typically though, one will get better than the other and that one will march the competions. When DS was a shadow he ended up marching all games and competions, the other boy had low grades for several weeks, making him ineligible to march. DS improved and was given the spot. The other boy helped with pit. That year our band had shadows in every section. Last year they had very few shadows....tried to march everyone.
In our band the shadows still come to all events, still have a great time, and the next year are up to speed to have their own spot. Sousaphones will have shadows if there are more kids than instruments, but this year I think we have 10 kids and 10 sousaphones!

Good luck to your DS! I hope he has a great year!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #34
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

Ah, yes that makes sense about shadows. I was thinking, "why they didn't choreograph enough spots?" they're both freshman. Will see where the season goes! Thanks for clarifying
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #35
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Today was the first day of marching with instruments! I had two, tired, sore, thirsty, starving sousaphone players tonight!
My Freshman wasnt impressed by flute players complaining about their flute feeling heavy! My Senior impressed me by taking his section out to lunch, rather than his friends!
They return tomorrow at 7 a.m. To do it all again.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

Band camp here from the 13th-17th. This is DS's senior year, and he is looking for some leadership opportunities. His band is the largest band in New England, so there are about 25 in his section (down from 60 his freshman year!). They perform in NYC every year and are performing in WDW this year.

This year they are doing music from Chicago (the band, not the musical).
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #37
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Yesterday was the new directors 1st day with the band. Monday and Tuesday, the staff and drum majors were running camp.

According to DD, the director was super cool and was excited to be a part of a school with a great music history. He was really nice looking, too. All the girls in the band gave him two thumbs up.

He did make 1 change already to their marching style. In the past, when the kids played at a stand still, they would stand with their feet in 1st position. He is changing it to 2nd position. Nothing to big, he just likes the look of it better.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Parent preview was tonight for what the kids have done at band camp these last 2 weeks.

The band director is very pleased with where they are so far. He said the performance the kids gave tonight is usually the performance of the 1st or 2nd halftime show. Their hard work is paying off.

Now back to summer vacay for DS for a few days!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
Pembo
OH-IO

Today was the last day of 13 hour days band camp. It was 97 in Ohio today...brutal. The day started out with the assistant director busting one of the drum majors making out with her boyfriend at the field. The problems continued from there. All 3 directors could be heard yelling all day. It was too hot for me to watch them this afternoon but they have made a lot of progress since Sunday.

Next week rehearsal from 8-3 with an hour for lunch. I hope they bring their A-game or the yelling will resume. lol
Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #40
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Summer band practice starts on Monday for both of my boys (one in HS and one in MS). Two weeks of heat and hard work

The HS band practices on the field- they take turns with the football team- they have some sort of schedule worked out which is nice. BUT, it's a turf field, and it gets brutally hot. Being a senior, DS is used to it, but the freshmen always drop like flies until they learn to hydrate.

Can't wait to see how the show is this year. Their first football game is the last Friday in August- in State College PA. They always play out of league for the first game, but this is ridiculous! It is 3 hours away! They will actually be missing a half day of school in order to get there in time. Not sure we'll be going to that one.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
momoftwins

Frazzled Disney-lovin' Mom of twins!

Ok, hope you will allow me a little mom brag!

Our band camp starts in a couple of weeks. DS is going to be a junior this year and he was chosen as a Drum Major (one of 6). His band is the Downingtown Blue and Gold Marching Band, Downingtown PA. There are about 350 kids in the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s2pRbP2hmc

In 2011, they marched in the Rose Parade in California. This year, the are marching in WDW and the Orange Bowl parade.

I am so proud of my son. He is trying to work his way through the trials and tribulations of a 16 year old, and this opportunity to be Drum Major meant so much to him.

Also, if any of your kids have the opportunity, he attended the George Parks Leadership and Drum Major Camp here is PA last week. It was an awesome experience for kids getting into band and for new Drum Majors. They have these sessions all over the country and it is a great time and they learn so much.

Go Band and Band Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pop Century, BCV,Wonder Cruise, VWL - April 2005, Pop Century August 2005, Boardwalk Villas - June 2006, Boardwalk Villas - April 2007, BCV - Thanksgiving 2007 - Boardwalk Villas - August 2008, Boardwalk - January 2009 - Magic Cruise- November 2009, Boardwalk Villas- July 2010
momoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #42
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwins View Post
Our band camp starts in a couple of weeks. DS is going to be a junior this year and he was chosen as a Drum Major (one of 6). His band is the Downingtown Blue and Gold Marching Band, Downingtown PA. There are about 350 kids in the band.

In 2011, they marched in the Rose Parade in California. This year, the are marching in WDW and the Orange Bowl parade.

I am so proud of my son. He is trying to work his way through the trials and tribulations of a 16 year old, and this opportunity to be Drum Major meant so much to him.

Also, if any of your kids have the opportunity, he attended the George Parks Leadership and Drum Major Camp here is PA last week. It was an awesome experience for kids getting into band and for new Drum Majors. They have these sessions all over the country and it is a great time and they learn so much.

That is awesome!! Congrats to your son!!! I know how happy he must be -- My DS tried out to be a drum major, but didn't make it and was really disappointed. It must be a pretty big deal! (Spoken like a true and total non-band-type-person, lol)

Our parent preview is coming up on the 16th, and I can't wait to see/hear the new show. All my son knows so far is that it has something to do with puzzle pieces, the music is way faster and harder than they've done before, and they move around a lot more. All I know is, I marvel every year at how I can't even imagine it now, and a month from now I'll be hearing it all in my sleep. LOL

A quick aside to any of the other Texas band parents, the TxBands site is a great resource to keep up with competitions and whatnot around the state, and they also just added a "band parents" forum to their popular forums.

Here's to a great upcoming week at band camp for everyone!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #43
jen0610
DIS Veteran

DD came home friday super excited. They got the first pages of the opening set Wed. Her opening spot isn't with the rest of the flag girls. She was concerned that since she was placed with the weapons group that she would be using them instead. First year, she wants nothing to do with weapons.

Good news is, the weapons group is the "dancing" group and the director put her in with them, do to her years of dance. Yea for her!! She's the only newbie in that group.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #44
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwins View Post

Downingtown- pretty close to us! That is wonderful for your son! I know, it's a pretty big deal with our band too!

And WOW on your trips! Those are big trips to take so close to each other! A lot of fundraising, I am sure! My DS17 is a senior this year, and no trip is planned- but the band went to Disney his sophomore year and to Hawaii his junior year. They marched in the Rose Parade the year before he was a freshman, so he missed that trip by a year- but rumor has it that they might be going back next year, when my DS13 is a freshman. Very cool- I marched in the Rose Parade when I was a freshman in high school, many moons ago!

ETA: 350 kid is HUGE!! I thought ours was big- at about 270 this year. (ours is the Liberty High School Grenadier Band from Bethlehem- don't know if you've heard of us?)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #45
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i LOVE being a band mom, but i HATE fundraising! selling these discount cards for the sugar bowl trip has been a total pain! another local marching band is selling them too, so it's making it doubly difficult!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: