Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I didn't see this thread- and started another- Ooops!

Copying and pasting:

DS17 will be a senior. He is a trumpet section leader this year. He has held one trumpet sectional so far, and the band directors have held one Wednesday night practice so far. The next one is tomorrow night. Summer band officially starts the second week in August, for two weeks- 8 hours a day. Then they go to nights when school starts, and early mornings. It always amazes me how the pull it together so quickly and end up sounding so good!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanutedmansionmomma View Post
This is my first go-round with marching band - DS will be a freshman. Will be neat to hear stories from other places!

I haven't signed up for very much yet, just bringing iced-down towels to practice... so dang hot here!
It's fun to see the different styles that the kids march. Some of them are football game performances only, others are football games and competitions, while others are parade and football game bands.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
jen0610
DIS Veteran

While eating dinner at one of our restraunt fundraisers last night, I found out that they have hired a band director. Limited info on him is - he's 23, from the Carmel IN area, and he has a DCI marching back ground.

Seeing as he's a DCI guy, that will bode well for our kids, as you know he loves to perform a marching program. We had a director for about 6 years, that HATED the marching aspect of band and you could really tell how badly the program suffered by his indifference.

Hopefully, when you add in all the other aspects that he will be leading - classes, pep band, jazz bands, show choir bands, and an orchestra - that he doesn't get overwhelmed in his 1st position as head of a instrumental program.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
KSBelle77
Mouseketeer

Hope everyone has a great marching season!! My best matching band memory was when our band marched at the magic kingdom new year's!! It was truly magical! Again have a great season!!!
2012 - 1st Half Marathon, Disney Princess
2012 - Birthday trip and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
2013 - 1st Disney Marathon
2013 - 1st Trip to Disneyland, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Dumbo Dare Challenge
2015 - 1st Dopey Challenge, 2nd Disney Marathon
2015 - Law School Graduation, KS Bar Exam
2015 - 1st Disney Cruise, Fantasy
KSBelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
KiminChicago
I start to feel anxiety if I don't have two or three books waiting to be read.

Band camp starts tomorrow so I guess I'll be watching the news tonight to get the weather forecast. Hope it's not going to be 100+, our band has to use the parking lot for marching practice since the football team is using the field and that asphalt gets hot!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Yay!! Thanks for starting this year's thread, Kim!

DS (alto sax) is a Junior this year, and band camp starts bright & early tomorrow. This is a UIL year, and the last chance my son will have at going to State before he graduates. State was SO exciting in 2010, and this year's show is supposed to blow all their previous ones away. They missed finals by a hir in 2010, and I'm convinced it was because even though their music and marching was incredibly awesome, they just didn't have the visual *wow* of a lot of the other bands with their props and such. We just didn't have much. We'll see what this year brings!

I do know we have a huge amount of new freshmen band members coming in, over a hundred, and our band already totaled close to 300 last year. I'm guessing most freshmen won't march in games or competitions. But it'll be good for them to watch and learn.

Biggest change for me this year is that my son will be able to drive himself to practices and car washes and everything else! A NICE change!!

I can't wait for the new season to start!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Pembo
OH-IO

Band camp started yesterday and I'm already exhausted. Our camp is at the high school from 8 am - 9pm. The kids receive two catered meals a day. Yesterday camp was from 1-9.

I'm the booster president this year and I never knew that ICE and access to a freezer could be so difficult.

That said, the director changed the marching style this year and my junior said it's pretty easy just hard to get used to. My freshman is having fun. We'll see how good the moods are tonight after 13 hours and temps in the high 80's today.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Marching camp started for us bright and early today. Ths is our second year so it wasn't quite as overwhelming as last year was. At least we knew not to eat cereal with milk for breakfast. My oldest is the only one in band, the other 2 are doing other things, so I'm enjoying this while I can.

Our kids have to buy a show shirt every year to wear under their uniforms during games and competitions. They also have to buy band shorts, but can use the same ones year after year if they still fit. I think some sections (drumline maybe?) have other section shirts they are allowed to wear for games, but competitions are always the show shirt.

Gina, I hear you about how exciting UIL State is (we went last year). We have a very small color guard section (maybe 15 kids at most) and I couldn't understand how we would ever compete with some of the 5A schools with their light-up ferris wheels and costumes. Some of the more seasoned band moms told me that it's because we play really really hard music really really fast and really really well. We were always in the top 4 at all of our BOA-type competitions. The "showy" stuff helps for BOA competitions because those are about the "wow" factor, but UIL is all about precision playing and marching. Some of the big 5A school come up with some wild shows and I'll be interested in seeing which ones make it to State, and which one wins.
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

What kind of band do you all have? I know many of you are show bands, but some are not.

For us, we are, I guess you could say, military in style (we are patterned after the Coldstream Guard and wear exact replicas of their uniforms, down to the buttons and belts!). We have majorettes and a bagpipe band. We do not have silks or rifles, but a traditional color guard( American flag, state flag, British flag). I think this year, they are marching close to 290. I'm sure some will drop during summer band, so that number might go down.

We do field shows for football games, both home and away, and we do move around the field, but we don't use props or anything. We do not compete in field show competitions.

We march in parades, which are usually competition parades. We have three scheduled this fall.

The kids in marching band all transition to concert band after football season. If you are in one, you are in both. Everyone plays all the time, regardless of grade. We accept all- grades 9-12- but they must audition prior to the school year. Not all majorettes, percussionists or bagpipers make it- those are the three most competitive groups.

We also have orchestra, and a group called First Company, which is comprised of the better instrumentalists. It is like a "mini" band- and they perform above and beyond the regular band schedule.

We are actually a pretty unique band and I've never seen another HS band like us. That said, I do enjoy going to football games and watching the other bands which are definitely more show bands. I enjoy the artistry of those type of shows very much. I can definitely appreciate both styles!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
bittybabygrower
Mouseketeer

Our kids start two a days this week and go away to camp the 3rd week in August. They just wear street clothes, no tank tops or short shorts allowed. The seniors design shirts as do the drumline. I can't wait to see what is in store for this year, and we are going to Disney!!!
bittybabygrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
leagirl12
DIS Veteran

Joining in on the fun! DS is a freshman this year and plays the sax. Today started the second week of band camp. Last week was only from 1-5 and this week they will be there until 9 pm so I have a feeling he will be exhausted when this week is over.
2009 - 1st Cruise on the Wonder
2012 - 7 night Cruise on the Fantasy
leagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

today was DD14's 1st day of band camp (her 2nd year marching), and she came home for lunch with HUUUUUGE news! our HS marching band will be performing at the allstate sugar bowl in new orleans on january 2, 2012! I'M SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
What kind of band do you all have?
Our kids's band is a show band. No props up to this point (and hopefully not this year either), but they do have drills and end up having a dance in their show during one of the songs every year. Although I think this year there won't be.

While mostly high schoolers, the band does include 7th and 8th graders. We have had 5th and 6th graders in the honor guard, but with the new director, he is trying to get away from having students that young.

Band camp starts on the 13th. Those of you that started, when does school start? Our camp is only 2 weeks long. I feel like we are behind the eight-ball if so many have already started.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post

Biggest change for me this year is that my son will be able to drive himself to practices and car washes and everything else! A NICE change!!
!
Me too! DS17, last year referred to as Tuba Dude, is also driving now and able to haul himself AND DS15 to all events!!!!! This makes me so happy! DS15 plays tuba too, so I have two Tuba Dudes!

Band camp for Freshmen started today. Today and tomorrow from 8-11, all outside. Then Wed. starts the camp for everyone... 7-11 and 12:30-4. The mornings will be outside and afternoons inside, or mostly inside. Its supposed to be 111 degrees today! Too hot!

DS15 enjoyed day 1. All smiles!

Our kids are required to purchase a show t-shirt, and a polo shirt. They can wear whatever shorts they want. Some sections have shirts made, or sweatshirts. They are required to wear the show shirt at all contests though... and I think under their bibbers at games. The sections that really hate the show shirts get sweatshirts made so they can "legally" cover up the show shirt LOL! Tubas are never organized enough to get a show shirt made! Something about being mostly boys perhaps.

I'm looking forward to this year! All I know about the show is that we will have a large central prop and a voice over this year...both new for us!

Can't wait to hear all of your stories too!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

Hopefully this year I will actually be able to contribute something. Last year DD was a freshman and I was overwhelmed to say the least.
DD starts band on Wed and it is supposed to be 108° here. Lovely, huh? They go like 14 hours a day so I will barely see the kid until school starts.
We have been gone a lot this summer so she has not gotten all the private lessons in we did last summer but her group leader did say she thought she knew the music well so we'll see.
They are already asking for volunteers to mark hems etc for the uniforms. They did it right before school got out but I guess they want to double check.
The band has over 300 in it so it is quite the production. Also this year is a "state year" so supposedly everything in hyper drive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: