Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #196
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
i am SO aggravated! we had a fundraiser for the band's upcoming trip to the Sugar Bowl at our local sonic restaurant last night, and 99% of those kids are SO stinkin' lazy! my daughter and about 8 other kids were out at the road holding up signs to get people to turn in, and the rest of them are just sitting at the tables in the patio area at sonic, eating, chatting and texting! the band director had gone next door to dollar general to buy a couple of buckets they could use to collect donations, and instead of relieving the kids who had been out at the road for 20+ minutes holding signs and waving, these kids just sat there! they were actually ordering food just so they wouldn't have to do anything!
i know, they're teenagers, but UGH! this is THEIR trip!

on the upside, 10% of all sales from 5:00pm-8:00pm yesterday will be given to our band, and we collected lots of donations. one man from a local construction company came by and gave us $100, and a local city councilman stopped by with a large donation too! i'm not sure how much it was, because i wasn't there, but our concession stand coordinator said it was "big". WOOHOO!
And the ones that are lazy at these types of fundraisers are usually also the ones that are lazy at practices, atleast they are in our band. I can count on 8 kids, that at every practice they will not help clear the field of any of the extra equipment/instruments. A couple of them, it suprises me to see them carry their own instrument back into the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I'm just learning the ins and outs of Band. DD joined color guard this year. Apparently the band kids look down their noses at color guard. The band director set up a covered area for the band to eat under during band camp and the color guard kids weren't allowed to eat under it. No room. Whatever, they survived. Then some of the band kids were making comments about how "useless" the color guard is and they didn't know why they had to have a color guard.

Well at the last practice the freshman football team was yelling insults at the band/color guard and saying some pretty obnoxious things. At one point DD said he was afraid they were going to get into a fight. Can you believe this goes on? The band director called the freshman football coach on the phone and told him about their behavior and one kid in particular. DD said it was pretty funny how some of the band kids were suddenly interested in just how good she was with the flag pole. Apparently there is a food chain with football at the top, then band, then color guard. Until there's a fight in which case band LOVES color guard.
How does that play out with families that have a kid that plays an instrument and a color guard kid. As far as the shaded area, who told the guard that they couldn't sit there, band members or the director? If it was the director, I would have a serious issue with him. They are all members of the marching band and to allow and encourage one group to belittle the other group is wrong.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #197
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

I honestly don't know if anyone verbalized that color guard is not allowed under the tent. It seems to have been a carry over from years passed where color guard is segregated from the band and none of the adults in charge make a move to change that. They don't try to get them to mingle during band camp. There is the band director and color guard has their own coach. They don't even always practice together. Since I was never in band/color guard, I don't know how it usually works.

In their defense, there was a pool party at the community pool at the end of band camp for the kids and parents to get together and mingle. But of course the "old" parents pretty much stayed away from the "new" parents. I introduced myself to a number of parents and asked where I could help and was continually told "we have it under control". So I didn't push it. They did thanked me for my donations to the party but that was it. I asked about fundraising, volunteering throughout the year etc. but was told they were busy and would get us information later. It was only when I saw two "old" band moms talking and inserted myself into the conversation (because I knew one of them) that I was finally given a heads up and asked to write down my email address so they could reach out to me. Seems to be a problem from the top down. I don't care, honestly. I love to be involved and show my support for my daughter and I realize teams for fundraising, etc. are already in place. I just don't want any backlash of "so and so didn't do anything". They'll have to accept me or continue to ignore me because I'm not going anywhere. I did go and introduce myself to a lovely couple that was there with their two daughters who are in band and they were very friendly. Apparently it's their first year too.

I'm sure as the year progresses and we spend more time together doing fundraising, etc. it will get better. I'll grow on them.

The one thing I've been told by my daughter, which kind of peeved me, was about canning. They have it on the schedule for 3 separate days, once of which is Black Friday. I thought it was kind of stupid to have the kids canning in mid-late November when it's probably going to be very cold. She told me that the kids don't go canning. They have other things to do that day so the parents have to go canning. Um, okay. She said they told the kids it was too dangerous for them to do, that's why they have the parents do it. They're in high school for pete's sake. I've seen Little Leaguers out canning. I don't mind being the parental chaperone that stands around with the kids and keeps an eye on them, but the kids don't have to do it at all? Honestly, I'm tempted to stuff $100 in the can and call it a day. How many people are going to give on Black Friday? They'll all be out bargain hunting and trying to scrape together every penny for the bargains.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #198
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
The one thing I've been told by my daughter, which kind of peeved me, was about canning. They have it on the schedule for 3 separate days, once of which is Black Friday. I thought it was kind of stupid to have the kids canning in mid-late November when it's probably going to be very cold. She told me that the kids don't go canning. They have other things to do that day so the parents have to go canning. Um, okay. She said they told the kids it was too dangerous for them to do, that's why they have the parents do it. They're in high school for pete's sake. I've seen Little Leaguers out canning. I don't mind being the parental chaperone that stands around with the kids and keeps an eye on them, but the kids don't have to do it at all? Honestly, I'm tempted to stuff $100 in the can and call it a day. How many people are going to give on Black Friday? They'll all be out bargain hunting and trying to scrape together every penny for the bargains.
Can I just tell you how glad I am that our band does not do this type of thing?! I can not STAND when people are in the street collecting money. The firefighters do it around here- holding boots- and it slows down traffic and is just annoying!

Our band has a huge budget and still manages to meet it by NOT collecting money in cans. Thank goodness!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #199
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Can I just tell you how glad I am that our band does not do this type of thing?! I can not STAND when people are in the street collecting money. The firefighters do it around here- holding boots- and it slows down traffic and is just annoying!

Our band has a huge budget and still manages to meet it by NOT collecting money in cans. Thank goodness!!
I'm not sure what they do normally. Canning around here is a common occurrence. However, this passed year our mayor sent a video of the band to some committee in Washington, D.C. and we were selected to be the representatives from NJ at the Memorial Day parade in D.C. this coming May. I believe that trip alone is costing the band an additional $50,000 over and above what they normally need to raise money for. My thought is the mayor/city council should be kicking in some money. From what I understand, the mayor did this without the band director's knowledge. Maybe they are contributing, I don't know.

And, of course, there are the usual expenses and fees that need to be raise for the year. We're doing at least 2-3 fundraisers a month. We've been selling journal ads, then we have a classic car show with dunk tank, vendors, etc., we'll be selling t-shirts and 50/50s, then canning and a host of other fundraisers.

I'm amazed when I see the amount of money some of you need to fundraise/raise for trips ($1500-$2000 per child). That would NEVER fly around here. We are in what is considered a socio-economically disadvantaged area, although who isn't these days, right? It won't be a problem for me, but I know there are many, many other families who could never find the funds without fundraising and I'm happy to do my part, and then some, to help these kids make some fantastic memories. I just don't want to stand out on Black Friday canning.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #200
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess

oh my goodness! i hope y'all make your quota! ours is $750 each, bringing the total to $1300 for DD15 and me, as DD has already raised $200. i'm freaked out enough about that! i can't imagine paying $900!
yeah, $900 EACH, total of $1800 on top of Christmas....... good grief. Two years ago our Champs Bowl trip to Orlando and Universal Studios was only $750 (plus I only had one kid in band then. This is older daughters senior year and she's section leader. The girls that's drum major told me back during the summer that she had it figured out, she, her little sister and my two would room together so they wouldn't get stuck with some of the "bad" girls! We have some that seem to go from one band boy to another, leading to drama central.

Our biggest fundraiser is we are contacted to run two concession booths for Auburn University during football season. Personally, I hate it, but for some kids it's making a difference between them going or not. It's basically a 12 hour day on your feet putting burgers and hot dogs together, filling sodas and (for the adults) taking payments. For each person that works be it student parent, family member, they receive a share. Shares typically run about $50-60 PER PERSON per game worked. For a twelve hour day that comes to around $5 an hour! Not much but if you have one student and both their parents that turns into $15 an hour. Hubby said he'd rather write a check, but there are some that cannot do that, so we fundraise. I've chaired fundraising for two years as a board member, gave up the position this year but was still asked to chair it. I just hope that the kids are able to raise the money.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)

Last edited by rcraw45425; 09-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #201
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I honestly don't know if anyone verbalized that color guard is not allowed under the tent. It seems to have been a carry over from years passed where color guard is segregated from the band and none of the adults in charge make a move to change that. They don't try to get them to mingle during band camp. There is the band director and color guard has their own coach. They don't even always practice together. Since I was never in band/color guard, I don't know how it usually works.

In their defense, there was a pool party at the community pool at the end of band camp for the kids and parents to get together and mingle. But of course the "old" parents pretty much stayed away from the "new" parents. I introduced myself to a number of parents and asked where I could help and was continually told "we have it under control". So I didn't push it. They did thanked me for my donations to the party but that was it. I asked about fundraising, volunteering throughout the year etc. but was told they were busy and would get us information later. It was only when I saw two "old" band moms talking and inserted myself into the conversation (because I knew one of them) that I was finally given a heads up and asked to write down my email address so they could reach out to me. Seems to be a problem from the top down. I don't care, honestly. I love to be involved and show my support for my daughter and I realize teams for fundraising, etc. are already in place. I just don't want any backlash of "so and so didn't do anything". They'll have to accept me or continue to ignore me because I'm not going anywhere. I did go and introduce myself to a lovely couple that was there with their two daughters who are in band and they were very friendly. Apparently it's their first year too.

I'm sure as the year progresses and we spend more time together doing fundraising, etc. it will get better. I'll grow on them.

That sounds a lot like how it was our 1st year. The parents that had been around for quite some time weren't the most welcoming. We have worked really hard these last couple of years to change that.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #202
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
That sounds a lot like how it was our 1st year. The parents that had been around for quite some time weren't the most welcoming. We have worked really hard these last couple of years to change that.
Good for you for making a concerted effort to include everyone. I understand there are probably parents that want no part of the fundraising, volunteering, etc. but some of us really do want what's best for the kids to be utilized in any way possible.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #203
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
yeah, $900 EACH, total of $1800 on top of Christmas....... good grief. Two years ago our Champs Bowl trip to Orlando and Universal Studios was only $750 (plus I only had one kid in band then. This is older daughters senior year and she's section leader. The girls that's drum major told me back during the summer that she had it figured out, she, her little sister and my two would room together so they wouldn't get stuck with some of the "bad" girls! We have some that seem to go from one band boy to another, leading to drama central.

Our biggest fundraiser is we are contacted to run two concession booths for Auburn University during football season. Personally, I hate it, but for some kids it's making a difference between them going or not.
It's basically a 12 hour day on your feet putting burgers and hot dogs together, filling sodas and (for the adults) taking payments. For each person that works be it student parent, family member, they receive a share. Shares typically run about $50-60 PER PERSON per game worked. For a twelve hour day that comes to around $5 an hour! Not much but if you have one student and both their parents that turns into $15 an hour. Hubby said he'd rather write a check, but there are some that cannot do that, so we fundraise. I've chaired fundraising for two years as a board member, gave up the position this year but was still asked to chair it. I just hope that the kids are able to raise the money.
oh, WOW! i REALLY hope this trip doesn't turn into a drama-fest. DD15 really isn't all that interested in boys at this point, but a couple of her band friends are, and one of them has a HUUUUGE crush on the son of a couple we know, the boy plays trumpet (he's a sophomore, and just got his driver's license a few days ago), and she's crushing on him big time. if it's still going on in january, i smell BIG drama ahead, and i don't want that in our room.
that is SOOOOO awesome about the university concessions! we run the concession stands at our high school's varsity and JV games, and we do pretty well with that, but the kids don't get paid a % on their trip for it; it goes into the general band fund to use to pay everyday expenses-buses, bus drivers, etc. we're very close to jacksonville state university, and you've given me an idea to have the band director (he's alumni) contact them and see if we could work their concessions one saturday for a %. that would be great!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #204
rcraw45425

Quote:

oh, WOW! i REALLY hope this trip doesn't turn into a drama-fest. DD15 really isn't all that interested in boys at this point, but a couple of her band friends are, and one of them has a HUUUUGE crush on the son of a couple we know, the boy plays trumpet (he's a sophomore, and just got his driver's license a few days ago), and she's crushing on him big time. if it's still going on in january, i smell BIG drama ahead, and i don't want that in our room.
that is SOOOOO awesome about the university concessions! we run the concession stands at our high school's varsity and JV games, and we do pretty well with that, but the kids don't get paid a % on their trip for it; it goes into the general band fund to use to pay everyday expenses-buses, bus drivers, etc. we're very close to jacksonville state university, and you've given me an idea to have the band director (he's alumni) contact them and see if we could work their concessions one saturday for a %. that would be great!
OMG, Jacksonville State.... The Marching Southerners! They are so incredible, we had the chance to see them at a competition we went to two years ago. They were something to see! O course, after that competition one of our buses broke down rnorth of Atlanta (DH and I were already home when we got that call!). We crammed as many as possible on one bus, It came on back and our chaparones and their kids waited for a replacement bus driven by our current drum majors dad (he's a former football coach, now assistant principal at another high school so he was licensed and allowed to snag the bus quicker than if we'd gone through normal channels) A true night to remember!

We get 10% of each booth, averages around $3K a game. Of that we (boosters) take ~5% for general fund and the rest is divided among the student accounts. Some high school bands here take all of the proceeds for general fund, how whacked is that? These kids do the work for Petes sake
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #205
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We just got back from picking up, sorting, and delivering 53 mum plants! That's about $145 in my DS17's fair share account. He is a senior, and it's not a trip year, so he only needs $125 this year- but my DS13 will be in 9th grade next year, and if you have an incoming student, they will let you fundraise for them and transfer it over. What a HUGE help- because I think next year is a trip year- and we usually have to raise between $1500-$2700 depending on where they go. Rumor has it it might be the Rose Parade again.

First home game was last night- so we finally got to see the field show facing us. It was really great- they sound so good! It is amazing to watch them- 260 kids really fills up the whole field.

Our football team put up a good fight- but the lost, 49-42.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #206
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Rain! We have been in a drought and are finally getting some rain! Good news! But it has messed up many band rehearsals. Thursday nights we always have a 3 hour rehearsal, they were inside for most of it...and Thursday morning and Friday morning , perhaps another morning this week. Today is an all day rehearsal and it was raining. They started inside and are hoping to move outside by lunch time. It looks like that will be possible.

They marched at the away game last night. It didn't go well. They had new drill that they weren't ready to perform, but the Director had them do it anyway. It didn't look horrible, but the kids were disappointed, because they knew it could be better. AND...the drumline didn't watch the drum major and sped up BIG TIME. Even I noticed! Oh well, they are learning and this is part of it!

I rode the bus, which I rarely do. I was on the Senior/Leadership bus. Easy bus. We have one bus that is all Freshmen and Sophomore boys. Luckily my Freshman son didn't want me on that bus because I didn't want on it! It was a fun evening. I LOVE band kids!

I think our Color Guard is pretty well accepted into the whole group. It seems the whole band kind of breaks into groups by instruments, or grade level, and the color Guard kind of does the same. But I would be surprised if they felt not included, because it appears they are one big, happy family. We do have some young girls on the Color Guard for the first time this year, 4 7th graders and 2 8th graders. They kind of hang out together, but that is probably ok.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #207
PlutosFriend
Spoke too soon
The little ones are sometimes cuter
It must be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
Here is a snippit of the opening of their show. This is from the competition last weekend.

The black blob on the 35 yard line, is DD.
Looking great!!! I am going to watch the competition this Saturday. This is a first for me and I am excited!
http://www.indianamarching.com/multi...2-Northrop.flv
Quote:
I'm just learning the ins and outs of Band. DD joined color guard this year. Apparently the band kids look down their noses at color guard. The band director set up a covered area for the band to eat under during band camp and the color guard kids weren't allowed to eat under it. No room. Whatever, they survived. Then some of the band kids were making comments about how "useless" the color guard is and they didn't know why they had to have a color guard.
That is terrible!
PlutosFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #208
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
OMG, Jacksonville State.... The Marching Southerners! They are so incredible, we had the chance to see them at a competition we went to two years ago. They were something to see! O course, after that competition one of our buses broke down rnorth of Atlanta (DH and I were already home when we got that call!). We crammed as many as possible on one bus, It came on back and our chaparones and their kids waited for a replacement bus driven by our current drum majors dad (he's a former football coach, now assistant principal at another high school so he was licensed and allowed to snag the bus quicker than if we'd gone through normal channels) A true night to remember!

We get 10% of each booth, averages around $3K a game. Of that we (boosters) take ~5% for general fund and the rest is divided among the student accounts. Some high school bands here take all of the proceeds for general fund, how whacked is that? These kids do the work for Petes sake

yes! we LOOOVE the marching southerners! they come to our main band competition each year, and they're awesome! if you're up for a little road trip, the competition is a week from saturday (sept. 29th) at gadsden city high school. our band and most other bands in the area will compete, JSU will perform, and the gadsden state community college show band usually performs as well.
i spoke with our band director about the JSU concessions, and, apparently, that's a no-go. they have a contract with another high school in the area to work their concessions.
our sonic night went really well, but i don't know how much money we made on it yet. i've got to e-mail the band director anyway, and ask him about making trip deposits. ugh.

hahaha, our atlanta trip was almost as bad! we just went to stone mountain and a braves game, but, the police wouldn't let the parents in cars park with the band bus the kids were on, so we all got separated, which meant we couldn't leave together! there were NO signs saying how to get back to the interstate, so DH and i got lost trying to leave the stadium and get back home-took us a good 30 minutes to get back to I-20! the kids made it home before we did!
that's a bummer though, having a bus break down. that happened to us in 1987, when the band and choir went to NYC (same HS DD15 attends). we had to wait in a little town in VA until our bus company could get a replacement bus to us from a local company. it was awful.

hope you guys make a lot of money at AU! my brother and his family live there.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #209
rcraw45425

Quote:

yes! we LOOOVE the marching southerners! they come to our main band competition each year, and they're awesome! if you're up for a little road trip, the competition is a week from saturday (sept. 29th) at gadsden city high school. our band and most other bands in the area will compete, JSU will perform, and the gadsden state community college show band usually performs as well.
i spoke with our band director about the JSU concessions, and, apparently, that's a no-go. they have a contract with another high school in the area to work their concessions.
our sonic night went really well, but i don't know how much money we made on it yet. i've got to e-mail the band director anyway, and ask him about making trip deposits. ugh.

hahaha, our atlanta trip was almost as bad! we just went to stone mountain and a braves game, but, the police wouldn't let the parents in cars park with the band bus the kids were on, so we all got separated, which meant we couldn't leave together! there were NO signs saying how to get back to the interstate, so DH and i got lost trying to leave the stadium and get back home-took us a good 30 minutes to get back to I-20! the kids made it home before we did!
that's a bummer though, having a bus break down. that happened to us in 1987, when the band and choir went to NYC (same HS DD15 attends). we had to wait in a little town in VA until our bus company could get a replacement bus to us from a local company. it was awful.

hope you guys make a lot of money at AU! my brother and his family live there.
this is scary: we were told by the concession people that the latest numbers are for a family of four to attend an AU football game, tickets,food, parking, etc, the cost is ~$500! One of my friends has a daughter that marches for Ga Tech, she says that the number is pretty accurate.Kelly, my oldest,attended the AU ULM game Saturday. Here's my breakdown: dress: $66, earrings:$22, shoes she had. IDK price of tickets they were a gift for her friends birthday but they were alumni tickets right behind the goal post. THey ate breakfast at BK before parking, and sodas were $6 each. SHe didn't eat until she got home. I'm flabbergasted!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #210
klj27
DIS Veteran

I don't know how I missed this thread this year! It is so strange to me that colorguard is looked down upon in any bands. We rarely see a band do well in comps if they don't have a good guard to back them up.

We had our first MSBA competition last Saturday and they did well. Is anyone else headed to Louisville for BOA Regionals this weekend?

"It's all good!"

'95 - Day Trip from Tampa : '97 - Villas at the Disney Institute : '98 - Boardwalk Villa : '00 - Downtown Disney : '02 - Downtown Disney : '03 - Downtown Disney : '05 - Port Orleans Riverside & Coronado Springs : '06 - Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach: '07 - Port Orleans Riverside : '08 - Port Orleans Riverside '10 Comort Inn LBV "11 Band Trip at the Rosen Plaza: '13 - Windsor Hills
klj27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: