Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #166
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post

Someone on our band FB page posted this and I thought you all would appreciate it:

Love that picture!! I copied it to paste to my DS's facebook wall. Actually, I had posted a status the other night about heading to the game, but it was all about the band. WELL, a mom that I am friends with has a son on the football team. I think I totally offended her.... oops!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #167
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
NOOOOOOO! Tell her to keep with it! My son is also oboe so he also doesn't play any of the show or stands music. He has discovered that while the class is working on that, the double reeds go into practice rooms where he gets a head-start on all of his homework. It really helps out since they're still having evening practices. Or he can work on region/state audition music. So tell her to keep with it!
I really hope she does. She LOVED middle school band and her band director, but so far HS band is just marching music and she does "air guard" with the other flag people. I think she will enjoy it once they switch off of marching stuff to regular concert band again. I love to go to their concerts.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #168
jen0610
DIS Veteran

This is what they are doing with all that makeup I had to track down.

I don't know. I think it needs some tweeking.

They looked good for the 1st competition. They only did 1/2 their show. Placed 4th out of the 5 there. The band that placed 3rd did their full show and only beat us by 4.3 points. The staff told the kids, they'd take getting beat by 4.3 points knowing that with only half our show presented, our score will climb once we present the whole thing.

DD had a smile on her face all day. She was really excited. I asked her if she was more nervous doing this or dance recital/competitions. She said this was worse, because she could see everybody in the stands, where recital and competitions it's pitch dark in the auditorium.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #169
Pembo
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Love that picture!! I copied it to paste to my DS's facebook wall. Actually, I had posted a status the other night about heading to the game, but it was all about the band. WELL, a mom that I am friends with has a son on the football team. I think I totally offended her.... oops!
I just posted it on my FB wall! Love it!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #170
budmonster
"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

I'm glad I found this thread because hopefully I can get information from you guys because I'm certainly not getting it from any adults in the band or boosters club.

My DD14 is in her first year of color guard. She absolutely loves it....me I find it to be VERY unorganized. I went to the first band boosters meeting and boy was it a mess. Evidently there is some kind of Fair Share web site that I need access to, that I requested that night, and I still haven't heard anything about it. The parents that were there seem to want to complain about everything and not offer one bit of help. I was completely confused that night as to what was going on and going to be going on with the bands school year.

On the other hand DD is really happy to be part of the color guard so I guess I'm going to have to tough it out.
DTD Marriott 2003-Off Site May 2007-All Star Movie-Apr 2008 Pop Century-Apr 2009-All Star Music Nov 2009-Grand Floridian Dec 2009-Off Site Feb 2010-Pop Century Apr 2010-Pop Century Aug 2010- Pop Century November 2010-All Star Sports-2011 Lots and Lots of Day Trips
budmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #171
PlutosFriend
Spoke too soon
The little ones are sometimes cuter
It must be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
I'm glad I found this thread because hopefully I can get information from you guys because I'm certainly not getting it from any adults in the band or boosters club.

My DD14 is in her first year of color guard. She absolutely loves it....me I find it to be VERY unorganized. I went to the first band boosters meeting and boy was it a mess. Evidently there is some kind of Fair Share web site that I need access to, that I requested that night, and I still haven't heard anything about it. The parents that were there seem to want to complain about everything and not offer one bit of help. I was completely confused that night as to what was going on and going to be going on with the bands school year.

On the other hand DD is really happy to be part of the color guard so I guess I'm going to have to tough it out.
I hope they get things worked out and become more organized. It seems our booster club is fairly organized, they just need to explain things to freshman parents a bit more. Our first performance went well last Friday. It was very iffy that they would even get to play, but the rain let up and it turned out to be a decent evening. Too bad they are calling for rain again this Friday!
PlutosFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #172
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosFriend View Post
I hope they get things worked out and become more organized. It seems our booster club is fairly organized, they just need to explain things to freshman parents a bit more. Our first performance went well last Friday. It was very iffy that they would even get to play, but the rain let up and it turned out to be a decent evening. Too bad they are calling for rain again this Friday!
It didn't here. They called it before the game even started. The band played the national anthem and both schools fight songs, then they were dismissed. Since DH was with us, we stayed and watched a good portion of the 1st half, but with 3 minutes to go to half time, it started to rain. Not pouring, but hard enough that it would have been a butt pain to get everything dried and put up without it becoming a late night. And with the next day being the 1st competition, the principal wanted the kids to be focused on that and not having to stay drying out instruments for the competition.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #173
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Someone on our band FB page posted this and I thought you all would appreciate it:

I was just able to pull up the picture on my cell phone, and OMG that is hilarious... I can't make it any bigger or save it, though -- is there any way someone would be kind enough to save it off full-size and email it to me?? Thanks bunches!! crazy4disney@gmail.com

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #174
Pembo
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmonster View Post

I'm the booster president and I hope people feel that I'm organized and share information. I will say that parents like to complain and not help, that's pretty normal.
If Fair Share is the site our director showed us, it's very cool and should help you alot. My suggestion - ask a lot of questions, nicely.

And welcome to the band thing.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #175
PlutosFriend
Spoke too soon
The little ones are sometimes cuter
It must be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
I'm the booster president and I hope people feel that I'm organized and share information. I will say that parents like to complain and not help, that's pretty normal.
If Fair Share is the site our director showed us, it's very cool and should help you alot. My suggestion - ask a lot of questions, nicely.

And welcome to the band thing.
You are right! Some parents do like to complain and not help..I have seen that with lots of other groups like PTO, etc. I think they just need to remember we freshman parents are "green" to all of this, so we may need more help understanding.
PlutosFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #176
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosFriend View Post
You are right! Some parents do like to complain and not help..I have seen that with lots of other groups like PTO, etc. I think they just need to remember we freshman parents are "green" to all of this, so we may need more help understanding.
During my newbie year, I actually had to call out a long time parent - they had been with the program for 12 (14 total when the last one graduated last year) straight years - when she was *****ing about kids not doing things correctly and she was sick and tired of having to deal with families who didn't know what the hell they were doing.

She was the unfriendist person to work with. The booster board was in the middle of transitioning and a lot of things were falling through the cracks. She made the mistake of yelling at my kid when he did what he was told to do and was told to him wrong by another band member, an upper classmen at that. She hit a button and it popped.

The number of parents who came up to me to tell me thank you for 1 putting her in her place and 2 getting the ball rolling for where we are now, I lost track of. The communication is a 1000x's better than what we had.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #177
basketrn
Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

I am so glad I found this thread! My DS is a sophomore in the drumline. He plays the snare. I love marching band (I was in the color guard back in the day). Our school has about 290 kids marching. Last year, didn't get to help out much cause I was in school full time getting my masters. But this year I am helping out much more. I am a box mom. So do a lot of work with the uniforms and getting the kids dressed every week for competition.

Is anyone coming to Indy to do Bands of America?
1986 - Off site, 6/2003 - CSR, 6/2005 - FW, 4/2006 - CBR, 8/2006 - SSR, 10/2006 - BWV, 4/2007 -SSR, 10/2007 - VWL, 4/2008 - SSR, 5/2009 - DCL & SSR, 10/2009 - SSR, 6/2010 - AKV, 12/2010 - SSR, 3/2011 - AKV/BCV & Dream, 12/2011 - DL, 6/2012 - BCV/Dream/AKV, 1/2013 - SSR, 9/2013 - OKW, 6/2014 - Wonder to Alaska, 10/2014 - AKV

basketrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #178
basketrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Do any of your parent/booster clubs have websites, blogs, or twitter accounts, etc? If so, what kind of information do they post?
We have both a website and facebook.

www.avonband.com
1986 - Off site, 6/2003 - CSR, 6/2005 - FW, 4/2006 - CBR, 8/2006 - SSR, 10/2006 - BWV, 4/2007 -SSR, 10/2007 - VWL, 4/2008 - SSR, 5/2009 - DCL & SSR, 10/2009 - SSR, 6/2010 - AKV, 12/2010 - SSR, 3/2011 - AKV/BCV & Dream, 12/2011 - DL, 6/2012 - BCV/Dream/AKV, 1/2013 - SSR, 9/2013 - OKW, 6/2014 - Wonder to Alaska, 10/2014 - AKV

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #179
basketrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwins View Post
Our band camp starts in a couple of weeks. DS is going to be a junior this year and he was chosen as a Drum Major (one of 6). His band is the Downingtown Blue and Gold Marching Band, Downingtown PA. There are about 350 kids in the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s2pRbP2hmc

In 2011, they marched in the Rose Parade in California. This year, the are marching in WDW and the Orange Bowl parade.

I am so proud of my son. He is trying to work his way through the trials and tribulations of a 16 year old, and this opportunity to be Drum Major meant so much to him.

Also, if any of your kids have the opportunity, he attended the George Parks Leadership and Drum Major Camp here is PA last week. It was an awesome experience for kids getting into band and for new Drum Majors. They have these sessions all over the country and it is a great time and they learn so much.

Go Band and Band Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We marched in the last rose parade. What an experience!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #180
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketrn View Post
I am so glad I found this thread! My DS is a sophomore in the drumline. He plays the snare. I love marching band (I was in the color guard back in the day). Our school has about 290 kids marching. Last year, didn't get to help out much cause I was in school full time getting my masters. But this year I am helping out much more. I am a box mom. So do a lot of work with the uniforms and getting the kids dressed every week for competition.

Is anyone coming to Indy to do Bands of America?
Hello from one ISSMA class A mom to another!!!!

We can be friends until Semi-State, then we'll have to part ways. Your with that big, bad Avon band. We are with Northrop.

You and Homestead are off and running to another great year. You both had really good scores the 1st week out.

I love being a bus mom. You get to see the kids in a whole different light. We don't have nearly the numbers you guys do, so helping the kids get dressed is a lot easier for us. And with the new semi layout, it's going to get easier for us, atleast that is what they are telling us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: