Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
KiminChicago
I start to feel anxiety if I don't have two or three books waiting to be read.

2012 Marching Band Season -- it's almost here!

I didn't see a thread for this year yet so I thought I'd start one.

Our colorguard and drum line report a week from Monday and the full band reports a week later. We're doing a medley of Beatles tunes this year. DS is currently attending summer PE and on Thursday he stayed after to help the band director replace all the drum heads.

I can't believe the summer is almost over! They start back to school on August 13th -- that seems way too early, and with the kind of summer we've had, I hope the band director takes frequent breaks and brings lots of water!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Our band director retired this year, although the new director is a former student and helped out last year. The kids already know him pretty well.

Band camp starts on the 13th, although they already have had two music practices this year, and the rookie mini camp.

I am the new webmaster and social media person for our parent group this year. I will tweet during the football games. DD is the band librarian and has to organize all of the music. As an officer, she also gets to help represent the band during the award ceremonies at the competitions this year. She's really excited about it.

They are doing a "space" theme, and are using songs called Mars and Jupiter, along with the theme from ET and ST:TNG.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Pembo
OH-IO

As the band booster president this year, I'm already tired of band. LOL

Today is the 3rd car wash for the band. We use the proceeds for a lock-in night of fun for the kids after band camp.

Band camp starts on July 29th. This week there a sectionals and a full band rehearsal on Friday.

Our theme is fire and ice. I've seen the first two drills in animation and they are very cool.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Psychodisney
DIS Veteran

This will be my DS's senior year. We have a pretty busy marching season capped off with a trip to Disney to perform on 12/28 and they also get to participate in the Outback bowl competition, parade and mass band at half time! Can't wait!
Psychodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
wmjivey
costume designer extraordinaire

Glad to Band dudes on the board! Question, my DS has been Pit Section leader the past two seasons and this year went for Cymbal line. It seems all sections select their own clothing for practice and band camp. Is this the same all over? Trying to be supportive parent, but hate to spend a Benjy on clothes and shoes, to have him fit in.

The Man

DLR - BW Stovall's Inn June 8-11, 2010; 5/23/09-5/30/09 - Tortola on the Magic ;11/11/06-11/18/06 Embassy Suites Grand Beach Vacation Resort; 3/19/06-3/24/06 Disneyland's 50th; 5/28/05-6/4/05: Inaugural DCL trip to Mexican Riviera; 5/28/04-6/11/04: offsite at WDW; numerous trips to DL
wmjivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
FlightlessDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjivey View Post
Glad to Band dudes on the board! Question, my DS has been Pit Section leader the past two seasons and this year went for Cymbal line. It seems all sections select their own clothing for practice and band camp. Is this the same all over? Trying to be supportive parent, but hate to spend a Benjy on clothes and shoes, to have him fit in.
Both of my kids wear regular street clothes during band camp and practice. Their sections don't pick anything in particular. I think the trombones mentioned something about getting sweatshirts last year, but it never happened.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I will have 2 sons in marching band this year! Both playing Sousaphones. A freshman and a Senior. Freshman band camp starts july 30 and everyone August 1. DS17 has the music and knows the concept for the show, but is sworn to secrecy! I do know he has a solo written just for him! Looking forward to it!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
I will have 2 sons in marching band this year! Both playing Sousaphones. A freshman and a Senior. Freshman band camp starts july 30 and everyone August 1. DS17 has the music and knows the concept for the show, but is sworn to secrecy! I do know he has a solo written just for him! Looking forward to it!
I had 2 saxes last year. Oldest DS graduated (was band pres and section leader). Younger DS is a sophomore. Started band camp last Thursday (School starts Aug 8th). DS feels like they have already made good progress on the show.

It was so much fun to see the 2 of them work on things together and to see the oldest take the younger under his wing. They really connected more than ever with band as the common interest.

Many of my "parents crowd" will not be there this year as their kids graduated or need a AP class offered at the same period as band. So it's an adjustment for me!

The show theme is "The Grid." with over 25 props will be interesting to see it start to come together at parent preview.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

YAY! this is DD14's third year in the HS marching band, and her first year of HS. we don't really have a booster club...i believe there were some financial shenanigans going on during the 2010-2011 school year, because, at the end of the school year, the HS principal took over the marching band's bank account, and now, every time we need supplies (we run the concessions at the HS football games), we have to fill out a requisition and get the money from the school bookkeeper.

so, a group of us parents just get together and do what needs to be done. there's 8-9 of us, and about 60 kids in the band (we're a small, 3A school), so we have a lot of parents who don't participate.

band camp starts a week from tomorrow, and DD14 is so psyched! i'm thrilled that she's found what she loves, and i pray she continues to have a good experience in band now that she's moved up to high school.

they wear regular street clothes for band camp, and under their uniforms. they do get a band t-shirt with payment of their band fee, but that's it.

Last edited by momof1princess; 07-22-2012 at 08:31 PM.
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
KiminChicago
I start to feel anxiety if I don't have two or three books waiting to be read.

our kids just wear street clothes for band camp. To be honest, there is a large group of kids in our band who couldn't afford to buy special clothes. We don't travel or compete either because it would just be too much of a hardship for some of these kids. I mean, there's only so many fundraisers these kids can do, it's enough if they all manage to buy their shoes and bibbers.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
wmjivey
costume designer extraordinaire

Thanks guys thats how I feel about special duds they also want to shave their heads lucky it didn't go through, we had our first drumline last year and WOW I didn't know it existed. How do yall feel about all the props and dancers is the marching band contests? I like good music and percision marching. All this fluff is just that FLUFF!!

The Man

DLR - BW Stovall's Inn June 8-11, 2010; 5/23/09-5/30/09 - Tortola on the Magic ;11/11/06-11/18/06 Embassy Suites Grand Beach Vacation Resort; 3/19/06-3/24/06 Disneyland's 50th; 5/28/05-6/4/05: Inaugural DCL trip to Mexican Riviera; 5/28/04-6/11/04: offsite at WDW; numerous trips to DL
wmjivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjivey View Post

The Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Both of my kids wear regular street clothes during band camp and practice. Their sections don't pick anything in particular. I think the trombones mentioned something about getting sweatshirts last year, but it never happened.
FD our kids do the same thing. During camp, which starts the 30th, they just wear their regular summer clothes. Now, the trumpt section has a tradition of not wearing their shirt during the final drill runs on Thursday night practices, but other than that no special clothing or lack there of, is required.

Each one of our sections does design a show t-shirt or sweatshirt for those in that section to buy. Not all of the kids buy them, but DS got one these last 2 years. They usually get pretty creative. With last years show being The Puppetmaster, the low brass section on the back had the outline of a puppet stage and instead of actual puppets hanging down, each kids name was attached to a puppet string.

It's going to be a strange year for the kids and the parent support group. Our band director left to take a principle's job and as of the July 2nd, the school was still doing the interviewing to replace him. Right now the assistant director, the drill writer (grad of the school), and the color guard director are running the show. Right now, we are down about 20 actual band members. Don't know if it's a reaction to losing the director or if it is just kids having conflicts with schedules.

Adding to the strangness, DS isn't going to be marching this year. In other posts, I mentioned that due to his actions during the past school year, he isn't going to be able to march. If you can't pass your classes, you don't get to do the fun stuff. DD made color guard, so I was looking forward to having them both be in band and getting to do something together. He is learning that our actions sometimes come with a hefty price tag. One of the prices he is paying for his actions, is losing out on something he loves to do.

Our show this year is Dracula. No clue what the music is yet. Last 2 years, we knew the music by know, so this is a change for us. The guard director has a couple of outfits picked out, but she trying to hold off until the last possible minute to order them, just in case whoever is hired as director has a strong opition on what they want to do.

We are getting a new semi this year and according to the guy in charge of it, us bus moms/uniform moms are going to love the new lay out. No more huge carts to roll on and off the semi. YEA!!!!!
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Pembo
OH-IO

The Boosters buy bandanas for the kids for band camp, a different color for each section. I have 150 of them in my storage room! Other than that, they wear whatever. Most sections design a t-shirt but that's handled by the kids and not everyone participates.

All students get a t-shirt for the year. They wear them the last day of band camp, I think?!

I have a junior trombone who is section leader and a freshman trumpet.

BTW - Our car washes made $3k this month. That's 1K more than last year. The proceeds go towards their lock-in at the end of band camp. We're off to a good start...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
FlightlessDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
All students get a t-shirt for the year. They wear them the last day of band camp, I think?!
We have t-shirts as well. Our kids wear their t-shirts under their uniforms during football games and competitions. I'm not exactly sure why. I think it has to do with the possibility of taking off their jackets in the stands during a hot day.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

This is my first go-round with marching band - DS will be a freshman. Will be neat to hear stories from other places!

I haven't signed up for very much yet, just bringing iced-down towels to practice... so dang hot here!
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: