DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #31
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormrCastMbr View Post
I Old Key West and the Beach Club are still the top of my list!!
The one and only reason I bought into DVC, OKW is & will always be my favorite!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
We own at AKV and like it particularly for the large 1 and 2BRs and savanna view. However, the long walk down the hallway from the lobby if you are in or near the end rooms on the wings at Kidani, particularly the longer northern wing, can be a real problem. We had one of those rooms once and now ask for close to lobby at Kidani and hope we get it. Though it is not as far as you walk all day in a park, it is about the distance from the base of World Showcase to Germany, or about 1/3 mile. It is the longest distance down an internal hallway from lobby to room that exists in any hotel in the world. Having that walk as an older person with some knee issues or someone returning from a long day at the parks with young tired kids is a bear. Also, you cannot easily just go to the store in the lobby and get something that you might need in the morning or otherwise because the round trip takes 15 to 20 minutes. And you will curse the distance to no end when, as happens to us at least once a trip, you get to the bus stop and someone in your family realizes, "Oh, I forgot to bring ...." (fill in what it is you have to go back and get). In other words, it is a far different situation than just walking around the parks. They made the wings far too long for normal and reasonable access to ameneties at the hotel.
Thanks for the explanation, you make great points.
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
We own at AKV and like it particularly for the large 1 and 2BRs and savanna view. However, the long walk down the hallway from the lobby if you are in or near the end rooms on the wings at Kidani, particularly the longer northern wing, can be a real problem. We had one of those rooms once and now ask for close to lobby at Kidani and hope we get it. Though it is not as far as you walk all day in a park, it is about the distance from the base of World Showcase to Germany, or about 1/3 mile. It is the longest distance down an internal hallway from lobby to room that exists in any hotel in the world. Having that walk as an older person with some knee issues or someone returning from a long day at the parks with young tired kids is a bear. Also, you cannot easily just go to the store in the lobby and get something that you might need in the morning or otherwise because the round trip takes 15 to 20 minutes. And you will curse the distance to no end when, as happens to us at least once a trip, you get to the bus stop and someone in your family realizes, "Oh, I forgot to bring ...." (fill in what it is you have to go back and get). In other words, it is a far different situation than just walking around the parks. They made the wings far too long for normal and reasonable access to ameneties at the hotel.
Very good explanation! Thank you!
FormrCastMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #34
Technosavant
DIS Veteran

We love AKV- both Jambo and Kidani, but some of your points are indeed valid.

My most consistent annoyance is the darkness in the rooms- with the dark decor they need more lighting, and there isn't any (and what there is happens to be indirect). While we love to relax there, is can be a bit troublesome to find all the light switches to get enough light to read.

I also agree that it's possible to end up rather far from things, especially at Kidani.

We have tended to go for Kidani if we want to stay in a 1 or 2 BR room (that extra bathroom is worth it) and Jambo for a studio (to be closer to Mara).

I can see how it isn't everybody's cup of tea, but we quite like the resort. It isn't perfect, but I've yet to find a perfect resort anywhere.
Technosavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Don't feel bad. DH and I stayed there for the first time last year. We were given a 1 bedroom two doors down from the very end of the hallway at Kidani furthest from Jambo House. And I have to say that Kidani is definitely not our favorite resort. DH actually completely dislikes the resort. I found the 1 bedroom to be very nice. He thoguth it wsa just ok. I do agree with the lighting in the bathroom. It was terrible. I also felt there was a ton of wasted space in the master bath. Sure could have used more closet space instead. But one major problem for us was the lack of a quick service place to get something while swimming. We ended up walking to Jambo House to swim a couple days just so we could eat something besides the two offerings at the bar at Kidani. And those options weren't very good to begin with. We both loved Saana. But not enough for DH to stay there again. I think I wouldn't mind staying there again. But DH has put it at the bottom of his list. He hated the location and how far out it was too. I think I am a bit more patient then him. It didn't really bother me too much. I do have to admit that the walk to the quick service at Jambo House was brutal when you just wanted a bite for breakfast or lunch.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #36
Sammie
DIS Veteran

DVC resorts are like ice cream, not everyone likes the same thing.

I don't care for the BWV, I have tried several times, and each time I come away with the same response of it just does not appeal to me.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #37
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

We stayed at Jambo in May as we were able to book "last minute". We loved the chance to experience the resort, but it definitely wasn't our favorite. It was too remote for our taste. We missed being at the BWV and being able to walk to two parks easily. Still, we wouldn't know if we didn't try.

I wanted to comment on the wet van seat - we used the shuttle to pool hop and asked the driver what he wanted us to do when he took us to the pool. We said we'd keep pool towels to sit on, and he explained that he has towels for that very reason. When we were picked up, we asked for the towels, sat on them for the ride, and then turned the wet towels back in. Our seats were dry when we got up (I checked to make sure!). So, maybe our driver at the time was extra prepared, but they are aware of that "issue". Perhaps whoever sat on the seat before your DH just didn't think to ask. I wouldn't want a wet bum for the evening either, so I'm glad it was on your way back from instead of to dinner.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
goofy4wdw2
DIS Veteran

I am slightly nervous about our Kidani stay in November as I usually like to stay near activity and the hustle and bustle of the lobby, and I usually prefer bright rooms...but I think the animals will be awesome and my kids will love seeing them when they wake up each morning. I am excited for the different decor for a change...I just hope I can see enough to do my makeup and put my contacts in Also very excited for the pool (hope the weather cooperates!) and to try Sanaa!

We're all part of the magic!
goofy4wdw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
J and R's mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormrCastMbr View Post
Are we the only family that.....really disliked it?
Nope. We're right there with you. So much so, that after just touring the resort my DH refuses to ever spend our DVC points there. And I agree with him.

I am glad that other folks like spending their points there, though. Leaves rooms available at other resorts for us to book.

Places we've stayed (17 trips and counting): DTD Villas(1984); CR(1991); GF(2000); WL/VWL(2001, 2002, 2009); BCV(2005, 2011, 2012); BWV(2006--3x, 2007); BLT(2010); AKV(2013--2x), MARRIED and HONEYMOONED at the BWI (1999)
Husband and Wife Get-A-Way (2006) Read about it and see PICTURES of it HERE
J and R's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #40
amyy
I do pat them out on a floured surface
I always think I may find paper /stickers etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4wdw2 View Post
I am slightly nervous about our Kidani stay in November as I usually like to stay near activity and the hustle and bustle of the lobby, and I usually prefer bright rooms...but I think the animals will be awesome and my kids will love seeing them when they wake up each morning. I am excited for the different decor for a change...I just hope I can see enough to do my makeup and put my contacts in Also very excited for the pool (hope the weather cooperates!) and to try Sanaa!
I have no problem putting in my contacts. It doesn't bother me to put on makeup either. I am in the minority for this thread and love Kidani. Our last trip we actually skipped the parks 3 nights and took in the cultural programs, story telling etc. At least you will get a chance to try it out. Enjoy!
amyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

I love AKV (both Kidani and Jambo as well). I can't say that I ever disliked any DVC or WDW resort that I've stayed at. To me, there positive qualities unique to each of them.

(Okay, so I'm in no rush to ever stay at POP, but I'm sure it has it's pluses.)

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
Mtnman44
DIS Veteran

We Love AKV. I certainly understand that everyone has their favorites and we all have some different things that we like and dislike. That is great and it is wonderful that there are many options and choices. However, if you were so upset you were in tears due to the decor or the hallways, well I'm sorry but I think some of the problem might be you. Your expectations are off or you spending too much effort on finding flaws or something. You dont' like the layout or the decor or the theme or whatever. Fine, nothing wrong with that. But tears?

I've never quite understood people that go to WDW and then complain about the walk to their room. The walk from the bus or car to your hotel room is the LEAST amount of walking you do all day, probably less than from the vehicle/bus to the park front gate! We can't have large, immersive themed resorts AND a quick few steps from your car. You gotta pick one. Look at the parking lot view complaints at BLT. SSR or OKW are great for short walks to your room.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #43
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman44 View Post
However, if you were so upset you were in tears due to the decor or the hallways, well I'm sorry but I think some of the problem might be you. Your expectations are off or you spending too much effort on finding flaws or something. You dont' like the layout or the decor or the theme or whatever. Fine, nothing wrong with that. But tears?
A little harsh, no?

I guess you misunderstood my post. I was almost in tears because I felt horrible that I did not love the resort, not because of the decor, walk to the room etc. No effort in finding flaws, just didn't feel the magic.

Please read and understand a post before saying such negative things about another person. Thank you.
FormrCastMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Dh an I own at BCV and AKV...a few years ago Dh always insisted that BCV would always be his favorite. Hmmm, 2 years ago we stayed at AKV for 1 week (Food and Wine time), then moved to BCV for a week. DH missed Kidani so much that he said that he would prefer to always stay there.

We love Kidani, we love the decor, the architecture, the animals, the artwork, all the daily offerings.

I'm actually kind of happy that some don't because it will make it easier for us to get the rooms we want when we want them.

It's all good, everyone has different tastes, there's not a 'right and wrong', just personal taste. Thankfully DVC has many different 'styles' to fit many different people.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #45
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

But... did you see the animals outside your room!?!?

We LOVE AK and cannot wait to return!

Sorry it wasn't for you, but that's why there's other choices.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: