Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

I thought I would share the latest updates in DD's dancing journey. Lots of things have happened since my last post.

DD has been dancing 5 days a week since school started this year and she made all As on her first report card! Way to go, kid! Very proud of her. Dance classes are going well, so far. Competition class is rough, but she is in with a group of girls she has danced with for years. They have a ball in there. She dances everywhere we go. She dances through the grocery store, dances all over the house....it never ends. This is my new normal. One of the dance instructors says "it is in her soul".

Earlier this week, we found out all the dancers would have a second part in the Christmas play. DD was supposed to be a snail (snail race in the reindeer games )

Last night, DD was wearing her pointe shoes around the house because she is still trying to get a better arch in them. She twirled around, lost her balance, and fell. I heard her scream in the next room. When I round the corner, I immediately realize she has broken her arm! So we spent a long evening in the ER, paid a lot of money, and went home with her arm in a splint. We see an orthopedic doctor this coming week to get a permanent cast. The good news: it was a small break, doc said it was perfectly lined so no resetting necessary, and dance instructor says she can still dance in the Christmas play. The bad news: she can not be a snail due to the physical requirements, and she will probably sit out for several classes until she gets the hang of the cast.

Her dance instructor says she will find another part for her in addition to being an M&M. She might get to referee some of the reindeer games! She is obviously bummed because this will affect her dancing for at least 6 weeks or so. Competition isn't until Spring, so she should be good to go for that.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #32
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Yikes!

DD's arm is healing quite nicely. She is in a cast up past her elbow. She dances the best she can without using that arm. Next week, she goes in for the shorter cast. She is very excited about that.

She will still be an M&M in the Christmas ballet, and she will also be a Who. The catch? When you are a Who, you get to design and make your own costume!!! Yay me!!! Outside of learning a little bit of sewing in Home Economics, I can't really sew. In fact, DH has to thread the bobbin on my sewing machine. I've used it once to make DD a poodle skirt.

So how does one make a Who costume? I'm thinking of making a tutu out of some heavy tulle. Then I was thinking of sewing some Christmas ornaments or Christmas bows on the tutu. She can wear a red or green leotard and I'll get her some funky Christmas tights or knee highs. Any ideas or thoughts? I tried looking on Pinterest for some ideas. Absolutely worthless. I guess I should have anticipated the strange results when I typed in "Dr Seuss Who". Very funny search results.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #33
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeymama View Post
DD's arm is healing quite nicely. She is in a cast up past her elbow. She dances the best she can without using that arm. Next week, she goes in for the shorter cast. She is very excited about that.

She will still be an M&M in the Christmas ballet, and she will also be a Who. The catch? When you are a Who, you get to design and make your own costume!!! Yay me!!! Outside of learning a little bit of sewing in Home Economics, I can't really sew. In fact, DH has to thread the bobbin on my sewing machine. I've used it once to make DD a poodle skirt.

So how does one make a Who costume? I'm thinking of making a tutu out of some heavy tulle. Then I was thinking of sewing some Christmas ornaments or Christmas bows on the tutu. She can wear a red or green leotard and I'll get her some funky Christmas tights or knee highs. Any ideas or thoughts? I tried looking on Pinterest for some ideas. Absolutely worthless. I guess I should have anticipated the strange results when I typed in "Dr Seuss Who". Very funny search results.
I think you're on the right track. The Who's tend to go overboard on their holiday wardrobe. Big bows, bold patterns, maybe sew some real candy canes or red and green jingle bells on the hem of the skirt or at the neckline of the leotard. Something like that. Don't forget the crazy CindyLu Who type hairstyle. Not sure what all you can get away with for a dance program, since I've never been involved in dance, but if it looks like Christmas threw up on her, you are on the right track.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

We are getting close to the end of dance season now. DD is starting to get tired. We had competition this weekend. They did well, especially since this is the first year of competition for most of them. I was shocked at how little some of the dancers from the other studios were wearing. I'm guessing that must be pretty normal and we are the prudes. I can live with that I guess. We saw many more male dancers than we're used to seeing and that was nice. It was a learning experience for sure. I know what to expect next time. Recital is right around the corner. I'm not sure if DD will continue on with pointe. She likes it, but maybe not "enough". Dance line tryouts at school are this week. If she makes it, she may cut back on extra classes at the studio. If not, I imagine she will end up wanting to do more. Preteens are fickle little creatures.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: