Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
mom2rb
DIS Veteran

I am also on bt4d. I get so much great information there. I have a son that dances, it is nice to have so many other parents of boys to answer my questions.

7/80 offsite, 7/84 offsite, 10/96 honeymoon at CBR, 9/03 Contemporary Wing, 12/04 SSR & AKL, 4/05 OKW & CSR, 9/05 BWV & OKW, 12/06 CSR & SSR, 06/07 VWL & BCV, 09/07 AKV & BWV, 09/09 BLT & SSR, 05/10 BWV & BCV, AKL & BLT 02/13, 05/13 Pop Century Work Trip, Halloween @ SSR

mom2rb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to your DD. And good luck to her.

Ahhhh, my future life. My eldest dd has been doing ballet for 6 years and the youngest for 3 years. They do both compete. This is the youngests 1st year in competition. The eldest has been talking pointe shoes for so long. She's 10 now so I imagine its only a year or two away. She can't wait. Our ballet teacher also has hard and fast rules regarding the shoes. Each child is assessed individually and given a pointe licence when they are ready. So the whole class do not go on pointe at the same time.
I've got a little way to go yet with my youngest. She's only 7. I'm glad. I spend enough money on normal shoes, let alone what pointe shoes would cost me. We have class shoes and troupe shoes and solo shoes and then coloured shoes for different solos. And then by the time the next competition comes around, they don't fit and we have to start again. The joys of being a ballet mum.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rb
I am also on bt4d. I get so much great information there. I have a son that dances, it is nice to have so many other parents of boys to answer my questions.
Oh DD had one boy in her core class last year, and there were actually enough boys enrolled to have a small class. They were precious. I know some of them will continue on and are quite good. I enjoy seeing them up there. And although DD won't admit it, I think she enjoyed having him in the class.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

No update on results yet. Today is the last day of the ballet company's workshop. DD will get her results next week in the mail. It has been a long two weeks, but I guess that's why they call it "intensive workshop". Last night they had an informal demonstration to show what the dancers had done for two weeks. Kudos to any of you who are/were dancers! It looks like hard work but all the dancers look like they enjoy it so, including DD. I'll update with good news next week I hope!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

She made it! She got her results today and she will be at Apprentice 1 level. No idea what that means but she says this is good. It was either that or beginner.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Congratulations to your daughter!

Youngest DD danced for 12 years. Her senior year, she was at the studio 12-22 hours a week, it was pretty intense.

Pointe shoes - ugh! I hate sewing on those darn ribbons! I did a happy dance myself when she got her last pair, LOL! She always got fitted by a professional, and most often ended up in the $80+ shoes. They did look pretty, and she loved the fit, but it got really expensive. The cheaper shoes either bagged at the arches, or the box was the wrong shape for her toes.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Congrats!!!

Start saving all the pennies for the many, many pointe shoes in your DD future!

Keep us updated on her experiences.

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
scootch
DIS Veteran

Congrats to your daughter. Hopefully she can still catch up with daddy some.

4-6 hours really isnt' much dance a week, be prepared for much more to come.

I do have some question for all of you and pointe. My oldest is 12, was in the Nutcracker last season and started Pointe in January(12 years 3 months) My youngest 10(this past march) was hoping to start in August. Instructor is going to evaluate her the first week of advanced ballet class. Should I be holding her off myself until she is at least 11 ????
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

It has been a busy season already. Between competition and the ballet company and her regular classes, we are at the dance studio 5 days a week. She loves it so far.

We picked up pointe shoes last week. They fitted her at the store, the director of the studio checked them and approved them, and we took them back to the store so they could sew the ribbons in (thank goodness).

Today, we got a schedule for the Christmas ballet. DD will play one of the M&Ms! She is so excited! She is also amused by the fact that she can not even eat M&Ms due to her dairy allergy. She said, "I will be allergic to myself!" This kid cracks me up! Most of all, she is still smiling through every class, despite the crazy schedule, and her grades are still excellent (even with advanced classes, I might add).
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootch View Post
Congrats to your daughter. Hopefully she can still catch up with daddy some.

4-6 hours really isnt' much dance a week, be prepared for much more to come.

I do have some question for all of you and pointe. My oldest is 12, was in the Nutcracker last season and started Pointe in January(12 years 3 months) My youngest 10(this past march) was hoping to start in August. Instructor is going to evaluate her the first week of advanced ballet class. Should I be holding her off myself until she is at least 11 ????
I can't answer that as I never actually took any dance classes myself. All I know is the director where DD takes lessons will not consider them before age 11. Is the dance studio your daughters are at reputable? Are they well-established? Do you trust them? If the answers are yes, then I don't see the harm in them evaluating her. She will be 11 before the dance year is up.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeymama View Post
It has been a busy season already. Between competition and the ballet company and her regular classes, we are at the dance studio 5 days a week. She loves it so far.

We picked up pointe shoes last week. They fitted her at the store, the director of the studio checked them and approved them, and we took them back to the store so they could sew the ribbons in (thank goodness).

Today, we got a schedule for the Christmas ballet. DD will play one of the M&Ms! She is so excited! She is also amused by the fact that she can not even eat M&Ms due to her dairy allergy. She said, "I will be allergic to myself!" This kid cracks me up! Most of all, she is still smiling through every class, despite the crazy schedule, and her grades are still excellent (even with advanced classes, I might add).
Congrats!

The store is sewing in the ribbons for her?! Tell her she's all spoiled!
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake

Congrats!

The store is sewing in the ribbons for her?! Tell her she's all spoiled!
I know, I was dreading the thought of sewing some ribbons.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

How wonderful for your daughter! I bet she'll have the time of her life.

I've never heard of stores sewing in ribbons. Very nice, but may not always be the best way to go. When DD went on pointe they were given handouts, watched a video in class & everyone brought in their shoes to sew them in as a class. The teacher insisted they must sew their own. She worked with each of them as far as where, what style of ribbon placement she thought was important for their feet/ankles, etc. DD elected to work on it herself beforehand & I reviewed her plans, gave her a sewing tip & let her go. She was only one of about 3 who did not have their ribbons pull loose at some point during a class. She fixed many ribbons for friends and apparently was quite good at it -- "better than my mom did it" was not an uncommon thank you she heard. The teacher used her when she could come in for the later years to help the next crop prepare their shoes.

I thank all that's holy she came up w/ her own preferences & methods for doing the job, because my King Kong ballerina was going through shoes like nobody's business in no time. I really felt spoiled when she could drive herself to the dance store & buy the next pair -- of course I never did figure out how to get out of paying for the darn things!

Have your DD pay special attention to any issues she feels she's having relating to performance or fit of the shoes and talk w/ her teacher. Lots of things can be corrected just with different ribbon placement. She will definitely know when she's hit the sweet spot for her. It won't be long before she's performing in the different variations roles in the Nutcracker. If she's dreaming big, maybe she'll perform as Clara or the Sugar Plum Fairy. If that's her goal, I sure hope she gets there and has a lot of fun dreaming about it along the way.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

That is wonderful!!! How old is she? I'm a fellow dance mom and my DD loves it as well. My DD9 is counting down until she can start pointe!!

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #30
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&B'smom
That is wonderful!!! How old is she? I'm a fellow dance mom and my DD loves it as well. My DD9 is counting down until she can start pointe!!
She will be 12 in October.

I hope her ribbons are okay for her as far as placement goes. She doesn't know any different right now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: