Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
MomOfAnAngel
Earning My Ears

Braden's Big Wish PTR - A Wish Trip in the Making

Hi, I'm fairly new to the Disboards and have not posted yet, but my husband Indykjt posted a quick introduction on the disabilities thread and I'm sure we'll take turns updating this thread. We received a call from MAW confirming that Braden will receive a wish and are excited to start planning. We haven't met with the wish granters yet, but we're 99% sure that he will wish for Disney as that is all he has talked about since getting out of the hospital a few weeks ago. We've tried to plan trips in the past, but have always had to change the plans, usually due to medical issues. I love all the information available here so we can plan as stress free a trip as possible.

Here is our Cast of Characters for our trip:

Braden- Our spunky 7 year old and the reason for this wish trip. Braden was born with Spina Bifida, severe hydrocephalus, and an Arnold Chiari malformation. We knew of Bradenís condition well before birth because we had a son in 2002 that was born with the same conditions and passed away after 43 days due to the severity of his issues. After a lot of testing while I was pregnant with Braden I was told by the doctors that there is no way he could survive and I should consider termination of the pregnancy. 7 years later and Braden is a fabulous, vibrant little boy who doesnít let anything stop him. Heís had several surgeries over the years, the most recent one this past May that should have resulted in about a week in the hospital but ended up being 37 days because his digestive system just wanted to shut down. The doctors seem to have gotten that under control and he is finally able to eat all of his meals by mouth as of earlier this week!!

Sierra Ė Our 13 year old, drama queen and the best big sister ever. Sierra was 4 when her brother Nathan passed away and was amazingly strong throughout his short life. She was 7 when Braden was born and has the strongest bond with him and is extremely protective. She spends as many nights as I will allow at the hospital with him whenever he is inpatient. She is his mini mom and does a great job whenever I am not around.

Sierra and Braden during his last hospital stay.

Becky Ė Thatís me, mom to a couple of crazy kids and wife to Kevin. I havenít worked outside of the home in a few years because with a child whose needs change frequently and who has appointments weekly I couldnít be at work and available to Braden at all times as needed. I am also a full time student right now studying special education so I can make sure my son receives the best education possible for him. I have never been to Disney, but have always loved everything Disney so I am very excited to be able to go on this trip with my family.

Kevin Ė Dad, and mega Disney Cars fanatic. We have a wall in our bedroom that is all die-cast cars from the movie. He is also the founder and director of Nathanís Playroom, which is a charity we started in memory of our son to help provide sibling support services for siblings of critically or chronically ill children. He has been to Disney once when he was about Bradenís age, but doesnít remember much. He is as excited as the kids are I think.

There aren't a lot of pictures with all of us in them but dad and I are behind Sierra and Braden getting ready to tell Braden's story to a group of college kids raising money for our hospital.

Braden's Big Wish ~ A Wish Trip in the Making

MomOfAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
KSBelle77
Mouseketeer

You are an amazing family! You will have a wonderful time. I recommend CRT (if you get to go to Florida). There is an elevator and plenty of Magic. The princesses are wonderful. Although this trip is your little princes trip I am sure he will enjoy anything you plan! Congratulations to you and your family!

May all you dreams come true!
2012 - 1st Half Marathon, Disney Princess
2012 - Birthday trip and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon
2013 - 1st Disney Marathon
2013 - 1st Trip to Disneyland, Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, Dumbo Dare Challenge
2015 - 1st Dopey Challenge, 2nd Disney Marathon
2015 - Law School Graduation, KS Bar Exam
2015 - 1st Disney Cruise, Fantasy
KSBelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

I am so excited for you, you will have an amazing time, and Disney will make sure of it. They are very accommodating. Our son has autism, and the reason we return so often is that it is the easiest place for all to enjoy because of it. I also have a teenage daughter who is 15 and ready at all times to step in to help with him, and my youngest (who happens to also be a Sierra). Its amazing how they just have that instinct to look over their siblings.
Anyways, have a wonderful time, will be watching for your TR

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

I'm excited for Braden that he gets a wish! I have a 7 year old also that will be going on his wish trip next spring. Excited to hear what he wishes for! Cute kiddos too!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
maroo
DIS Veteran

Found you guys!!

Welcome to the DIS!

I am so excited for your family to get a wish!

I put a link to your pre-trip report on the DIS so that people can find you guys.
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when kids prove doctors wrong and beat the odds!
I'm sure y'all will have a magical time and I'm looking forward to reading all about your planning. Big hugs go out to big sis Sierra...I've always heard that parents of special needs kids are hand picked, but so our their siblings!

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23
carebearkidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

So excited that your family is getting to experience this once in a lifetime journey !

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
MomOfAnAngel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBelle77 View Post
You are an amazing family! You will have a wonderful time. I recommend CRT (if you get to go to Florida). There is an elevator and plenty of Magic. The princesses are wonderful. Although this trip is your little princes trip I am sure he will enjoy anything you plan! Congratulations to you and your family!

May all you dreams come true!
Thank you, he would probably enjoy having a bunch of princesses fawning all over him. We all have to sit down and figure out exactly what everyone "needs" to see so we can come up with a plan of attack. The only thing I know for sure right now is a trip to Hollywood and Vine is a must because Jake and Handy Manny are two of his absolute favorites right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
I am so excited for you, you will have an amazing time, and Disney will make sure of it. They are very accommodating. Our son has autism, and the reason we return so often is that it is the easiest place for all to enjoy because of it. I also have a teenage daughter who is 15 and ready at all times to step in to help with him, and my youngest (who happens to also be a Sierra). Its amazing how they just have that instinct to look over their siblings.
Anyways, have a wonderful time, will be watching for your TR
Thanks so much, I still can't wrap my head around what Disney will be like. There seems to be so much that Braden will be able to do there and at GKTW, it's exciting. His older sister being so good with him has definitely made life easier for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot93 View Post
I'm excited for Braden that he gets a wish! I have a 7 year old also that will be going on his wish trip next spring. Excited to hear what he wishes for! Cute kiddos too!

Jackie
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out your PTR. This seems like a great age to do the trip, he's old enough to remember quite a bit of it and young enough to really appreciate the magic of Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Found you guys!!

Welcome to the DIS!

I am so excited for your family to get a wish!

I put a link to your pre-trip report on the DIS so that people can find you guys.
Thank you Maroo. I have learned so much from reading through your trip reports and I really appreciate all the information and hard work you have put into the Wish Trippers thread. All the information will definitely make my planning so much easier. There is so much to do and see, and I don't want the kids to miss a magical moment at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebearkidney View Post
Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when kids prove doctors wrong and beat the odds!
I'm sure y'all will have a magical time and I'm looking forward to reading all about your planning. Big hugs go out to big sis Sierra...I've always heard that parents of special needs kids are hand picked, but so our their siblings!
I agree, the doctors he has now just shake their head and always tell us if they hadn't done all of his surgeries since birth then they would swear the charts are switched because there is no way he should be able to do the things he can. I guess no one told him where his limit was. His sister is on here lurking around too under the screen name IndySNT, and she was absolutely hand picked for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
So excited that your family is getting to experience this once in a lifetime journey !
Thanks, now I just have to make sure I plan it right so everything goes smoothly for all of us, or as smooth as it can with a kiddo with special needs

Braden's Big Wish ~ A Wish Trip in the Making

MomOfAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
indysnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfAnAngel View Post
His sister is on here lurking around too under the screen name IndySNT, and she was absolutely hand picked for him.
I'm not sure what you're talking about 'lurking'
Hi, I'm Sierra and this is my first post here on the DISboards!!
indysnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfAnAngel View Post
Thank you Maroo. I have learned so much from reading through your trip reports and I really appreciate all the information and hard work you have put into the Wish Trippers thread. All the information will definitely make my planning so much easier. There is so much to do and see, and I don't want the kids to miss a magical moment at all.
I am so glad that the information out there has been helpful to you guys!

I missed the DIS so much over the last year and I am so glad to be back!

There is a TON to do and see! You guys are going to have a blast!!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for visiting Gavin's PTR! I will pray that you guys get your dates as well. I really hope we can meet up if we are there the same days. BTW your kids are adorable. Your daughter looks so proud of her little brother. Brings tears to my eyes. WE have a little girl as well. She is only 4 though and is just starting to understand that her brother is "different." She is going through a very protective stage with him I wonder where she gets that

Gavin's PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45494569
gavandgraciesmommy.blogspot.com
GavandGraciesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysnt View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about 'lurking'
Hi, I'm Sierra and this is my first post here on the DISboards!!
beam in big sis Scotty! Welcome Sierra!

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23
carebearkidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Indykjt
Earning My Ears

I wish I could update this thread every day with news about Braden's wish... patience is definitely not my strong suit!

We found out this morning that two Wish Granter's have already chosen to be Braden's Wish Granters! Disney is all Braden has been able to talk about lately, so we are certain that's what he will choose. We are hoping that if he does, we are able to go in mid-October. It seems like a really great time to go, and he will be able to avoid missing school for the trip!

Hope to have more news to update with soon!

Kevin Becky Sierra - 13 Braden - 7 (Wish Kid!)

Our PTR - Braden's Big Wish PTR - A Wish Trip in the Making
Indykjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Momtokcc
Mouseketeer

I love to read about kids proving the doctors wrong too!!! I can't wait to read more about Braden and his wish - hope you hear soon about your dates - and hoping you get the dates you want!!

Wish Trip October 20-26th!!!

Jenn

DH
DD(17)
DS(10) Wish kid
DS(7)
Momtokcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Indykjt
Earning My Ears

Big day today... we got our welcome packet from MAW! We have the names of Braden's wish granters! It looks like a married couple and we hope to hear from them soon!

On another note, I just realized how hooked into the Disney mindset our whole family is right now. We are sitting here watching the opening ceremonies for the Olympics, and we saw this on the TV... and guess what the first thing we all shouted out at the same time was???

HIDDEN MICKEY!!!

It's gonna be a long wait!!!

Kevin Becky Sierra - 13 Braden - 7 (Wish Kid!)

Our PTR - Braden's Big Wish PTR - A Wish Trip in the Making

Last edited by Indykjt; 07-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Indykjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: