Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
jimsanfilippo
Mouseketeer

Kicked Out of MK for the Christmas Party

We've been to the WDW Christmas Party in the past but skipped it this time because our kids are 2 and 5 and just can't stay up late enough to make a 7pm-midnight venture worth it. So when we went to MK last week we knew we'd have to leave at 7pm promptly and it was no problem for us.

However, we noticed that certain areas of the park were shut off to people without party wristbands 15-20 minutes before 7pm. This was a bit frustrating since we assumed we were completely welcome there until the park officially closed at 7pm.

In fact, my wife and 2 year old went on Pirates at about 6:30pm while my 5 year old and I walked around and waited. At exactly 6:45pm I decided to wait in the Pirates gift shop since that's where all riders exit but the shop was mostly closed off with a cast-iron gate. When we tried to enter a CM at the doorway asked if we had wristbands. I said "No, but it's not 7 o'clock yet." She said "I know but we're clearing out our day guests." I replied, "But it's not 7 o'clock yet. Why can't I wait for my wife and son in the gift shop?" She just again said that we couldn't come in because they're clearing out their day guests.

I'm sorry, but we paid our admission to be there until the park officially closes and that wasn't until 7pm. And 15 minutes of Disney time is a lot to us so it bothered my son and I quite a bit. Why would they do this to their customers? Is a 15 minute jump on the evening that big of a deal that they have to start treating "day guests" like second-class citizens? I just don't understand.
2014 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2013 Pop Century Resort, 2012 Orbit One Villas/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2012 (Disneyland) HoJo Plaza Hotel Anaheim, 2012 Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 2012 Bay Lake Towers, 2011 (Disneyland) Grand Californian Villas, 2011 Windsor Hills Resort, 2010 (Disneyland) Peacock Suites, 2010 The Palms Hotels & Villas, 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas, 2009 Liki Tiki Village, 2008 Magical Memories Villas, 2006 Coronado Springs/Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2006 Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2004 Universal Studios Area Hotel, 2003 Wilderness Lodge, 1997 Wilderness Lodge/Niki Bird, 1991 Small cheap motel, 1990 Small cheap motel, 1981 Orlando Area Campground
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsanfilippo View Post
We've been to the WDW Christmas Party in the past but skipped it this time because our kids are 2 and 5 and just can't stay up late enough to make a 7pm-midnight venture worth it. So when we went to MK last week we knew we'd have to leave at 7pm promptly and it was no problem for us.

However, we noticed that certain areas of the park were shut off to people without party wristbands 15-20 minutes before 7pm. This was a bit frustrating since we assumed we were completely welcome there until the park officially closed at 7pm.

In fact, my wife and 2 year old went on Pirates at about 6:30pm while my 5 year old and I walked around and waited. At exactly 6:45pm I decided to wait in the Pirates gift shop since that's where all riders exit but the shop was mostly closed off with a cast-iron gate. When we tried to enter a CM at the doorway asked if we had wristbands. I said "No, but it's not 7 o'clock yet." She said "I know but we're clearing out our day guests." I replied, "But it's not 7 o'clock yet. Why can't I wait for my wife and son in the gift shop?" She just again said that we couldn't come in because they're clearing out their day guests.

I'm sorry, but we paid our admission to be there until the park officially closes and that wasn't until 7pm. And 15 minutes of Disney time is a lot to us so it bothered my son and I quite a bit. Why would they do this to their customers? Is a 15 minute jump on the evening that big of a deal that they have to start treating "day guests" like second-class citizens? I just don't understand.
I agree. You have every right to be there until 7:00p.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

I agree that you should not be hustled out before 7:00.

This past November the CMs on Main Street were pretty ruthless when 7pm rolled around. No entry into the stores. Even people already in the store were slowly herded in the direction of the train station. Once they cleared a section of the store no one without a wrist band could get in there.

I would assume that on the walkways between lands no one was allowed in to any of them but only directed out.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

also agree with you

and from a business point of view can't imagin the lost $$$$$$$$$$$ of all the potential sales lost if all the other shops were doing the same very foolish especially from a guest service point of view

I have wtnessed the clearing out at 7 pm as decsribed by pp and have to say I understand why day guests can try to stay even hiding in bathrooms and some can get pretty abusive to the CMs sad

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 12-20-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
kathie859
DIS Veteran

OP--I'd be a little put off, too! If I'd made my plans based on a 7 p.m. exit strategy and was hustled out 15 minutes early for the convenience of others, I'd be annoyed. Not the biggest problem ever--but still an irritation.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I'd be ticked. They should be able to take a hard line at 7. But 6:45 should be hands off.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Luck-of-the-draw with CM's, again.

You were likely confronted by a "vigilante CM" (or group of 'em)
taking on the mantle of deciding what policy to enforce and when,
regardless of if it was actually a real Disney policy, or not.

Your PROBLEM was with one (or more) individual CM('s.)
Your COMPLAINT is with WDW Guest Relations.
They need to be told (and re-told) of the improper guest treatment
by their cadre of "vigilante CM's."
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

That being said, on the opposing side in 2010 we went to the Christmas party and they let everyone stay in the park until 8 p.m. but just wouldn't let them on the rides. There wasn't a real push of people out of the park until 8 and then it was like a mass movement and was totally distracting to the people that had paid tickets.

While I agree that you have until 7 p.m. they were probably thinking that it would take you at least 15 minutes to get out of the park so they wanted to "help" you along.

I really think it's a lose-lose situation. I personally think the park should close at 6:30 for those without wristbands. Of course it should be advertised ahead of time so that people are aware of it. Then they have the ability to push people out at 6:45.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Lol

While everyone posting here is absolutely 100% correct you are still operating under the assumption that Walmart, er Disney, excuse me, actually gives one darn about your personal feelings. Those doors are long closed and customers (we used to be guests) are noticing only very slowly.

Go ahead and write guest relations, if you've got nothing but time. You'll get a nice concillatory response admitting of no wrong doing but asking for your forgiveness. Remember PR is what Disney does best.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
toddinboston
Mouseketeer

The park is closed to guests without wristbands at 7pm...if your at POC at 6:45, you're still a 15 minute stroll from the park exit, so you would be leaving at 7, when you're supposed to...

What am I missing?...
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
phyzch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddinboston View Post
The park is closed to guests without wristbands at 7pm...if your at POC at 6:45, you're still a 15 minute stroll from the park exit, so you would be leaving at 7, when you're supposed to...

What am I missing?...
What you're missing is that park closing on any other day means the moment guests can no longer get into a line, not the moment they must be off property. I once rode on the last POTC boat at DL and wasn't off until a good 20 mins after park close (that was the first time I really realized just how long that ride is). Why should closing time mean something different on a party night. If they really want you off property by 7 they should "close" at 6:30.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddinboston

What am I missing?...
That policy is that guests can stay in the parks and get in attraction lines right up to park close--in this case 7:00p--like any other night.

Don't misunderstand, once the clock strikes the top of the hour then day guests turn into a pumpkin again, but they should get every minute due them until then.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Eosphotog
Mouseketeer

Not sure about the Christmas party, but for Halloween they started closing select rides and/or areas 15-30 mintues before 7. I think in that case they were converting over to candy stations or character meeting places.

On the Christmas party map I see a character meeting area next to Pirates. Is it possible they were starting up some crowd control in that area before 7?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I feel that everyone in the park should be able to watch the special Christmas Parade. How cruel to ask anyone to leave! We listened to a CM yell at a Mom, Dad, & 2 daughters - who didn't realize that something special was going on. They were ordered to "go get a ticket" if they wanted to stay, and "that will cost you"! The tone of voice of the CM was evil.

During MVMCP - We found one cookie - and NO cocoa - at the six areas mentioned to find the refreshments. The parade was nice - but not $60 each of nice! We will never go to this event again - ever!

We waited for 2 CMs to stop chatting with each other - and to help us - get into the roped off HC area. They ignored us - even when we asked out loud politely for help. This was over an hour and a half early for the parade, so we weren't breaking any unwritten rules. We went under the rope ourselves as a kind stranger held it up for us. He had witnessed our feeble attempts to ask the CMs to help us. After we did - the same CM who would NOT help us ran over to scream at us for going under the rope. The gentleman who held the rope for us screamed back in our defense. (Thank you if anyone reading is that gentleman!)

The special shows are in different locations all at the SAME time!

We chose to watch the show on the Castle steps. About 5 minutes into the show - it was stopped due to "technical difficulties". (This is not excusable at a place as large as Disney! Have back-up ready! I always did - in an elementary school music job!)

We are Annual Passholders. We feel that MVMCP is a disgrace to all.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
dlove28
Missin' WDW

Day guests should be allowed to do what you want until 7. I don't appreciate stragglers trying to get party time for 'free' but then again I pay for a hard ticket party that starts at 7 and then expect to be let in at 4. I'm infringing on day guests more than they are to me so its hard to argue that they should leave promptly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: