Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I wasn't a part of the last thread so I'll jump in here at the beginning of this one!

I have started 3 different books in the last two weeks and nothing is really holding my attention. I seem to be in a reading slump. I am excited to get home from work and read, but nothing is catching my attention.

I have started Grave Surprise by Charliane Harris(I enjoyed the first in the series so I was excited for this one but , I can't get into it.)

I have also read the first four chapters of Janet Evanovich's Wicked Buisiness. But the story and characters are dumb to me. I thought that Wicked Attraction(the first) was dumb, but enjoyable enough to keep reading.

AND...I started the first in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but I am having a really hard time grasping the vampire lore in this one. I know I should be open minded, but I am just so confused! I keep having to go back and read what the different types of vampires are and stuff!
I thought the same thing about Wicked Appetite. I had a very hard time finishing it. I love the Stephanie Plum books but I'm not wild about the Wicked Series.

I'm reading Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner. It's just ok. I've got to stop comparing everything to The Help. I just loved that book and haven't been able to find anything that captured my attention like that did. I could not put it down! I really want to find another book that will do that.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
I thought the same thing about Wicked Appetite. I had a very hard time finishing it. I love the Stephanie Plum books but I'm not wild about the Wicked Series.

I'm reading Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner. It's just ok. I've got to stop comparing everything to The Help. I just loved that book and haven't been able to find anything that captured my attention like that did. I could not put it down! I really want to find another book that will do that.
I loved the S.P. books too!

These just feel so rushed. She jumped right in. There is almost NO character or plot development. It is just so cheesy. I feel like she just wanted to cash in on the fantasy thing that is hot right now.

The reason I kept reading Wicked Appetite was because I wanted to know about Glo, her broom and the monkey!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I'll be so glad when this vampire craze dies down. I don't know how many times I've picked up a book that looked like it might be interesting only to find out it's another one of those damn vampire books. Enough, already!

Right now I'm reading 'King of Lies' by John Hart. I've only read the first chapter or so, so it's too early to form an opinion, but I'm hoping it's as good as 'Last Child'. He has 2 others out as well, 'Down River' and 'Iron Horse'. Has anyone here read any of these?

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

I've recently read "Game of Thrones" and loved it.

I find myself comparing everything to the great books I've read over the past couple of years:
The Book Thief
Water for Elephants
The Hunger Games Trilogy
Game of Thrones

I'm sure there are more. I'll have to think about it and come back.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
I've got to stop comparing everything to The Help. I just loved that book and haven't been able to find anything that captured my attention like that did. I could not put it down! I really want to find another book that will do that.
I just finished "The Kitchen House." I think you will like it if you liked "The Help." I thought the ending was rushed, but for the most part, I really liked it.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I'm finishing up Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I can't get another freebie from Amazon until August 1 so I'll read Gone Girl next. Then back to Harry Potter.

I honestly can't believe how much I'm enjoying these HP books. I thought the movies were ok but the books..wow so good! I can see why there was such hype over their release. I do plan on re-watching the movies now.

OH, and I'm also listening to The Book Thief. Best book ever!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I'm finishing up Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I can't get another freebie from Amazon until August 1 so I'll read Gone Girl next. Then back to Harry Potter.

I honestly can't believe how much I'm enjoying these HP books. I thought the movies were ok but the books..wow so good! I can see why there was such hype over their release. I do plan on re-watching the movies now.

OH, and I'm also listening to The Book Thief. Best book ever!
The movies are nothing in comparison to the books - a mixed up Cliff's notes version. I've re-read and re-listened to the books over and over again. Even paid for the e-books for it. They're my go-to books when I'm between other books.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I just finished reading Shutter Island, and now I'm moving on to Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I love historical fiction about Henry VIII!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I just finished The Spies Who Never Were about British double-agents during WWII. Pretty interesting. Now I'm on to The Horsemen, which is excellent, but that may just because I'm a horse racing fanatic.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarmom View Post
Gone Girl was fantastic. I couldn't put it down. I don't know what I'm going to read next. I have so many books to read....

I loved that book, she is all kinds of messed up , I lol every time he seen Detective Boney , and sanf Boney Maronni to himself , I read another book by Gillian Flynn called Dark Places, another page turner, its really good, she has a 3rd book also, want to read it, but forcing myself to read a couple of other books first
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
I just finished "The Kitchen House." I think you will like it if you liked "The Help." I thought the ending was rushed, but for the most part, I really liked it.
Oh I think Kitchen House is one of my favorite books. I really couldn't put it down. If you liked it and The Help, you might want to check out Rush Home Road. I really liked that one also

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I just finished reading Shutter Island, and now I'm moving on to Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I love historical fiction about Henry VIII
Me too. Wolf Hall is on my top 5 list.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Okay...I think I have found a new book/series that has FINALLY hooked me.

I read the sample from Amazon of Laurell K. Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures and really wanted to keep reading! My Amazon card HATES me right now.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR
I'll be so glad when this vampire craze dies down. I don't know how many times I've picked up a book that looked like it might be interesting only to find out it's another one of those damn vampire books. Enough, already!
I'm with you! Vampires - bleh!

I missed the last thread but am happy I can join in for this one!

From the above posts, it looks like I need to read Wolf Hall. I love books from that era :-)

I just picked up a few books to read on vacation. Has anyone read these & are they any good?
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
Honolulu by Alan Brennert
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Sea Change by Karen White
Yes I seem to be all over the place, but I didn't know what I'd be in the mood to read.

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #29
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I just read the synopsis of Gone Girl and that one is definitely going on my list. Has anyone read 'Before I Go to Sleep?' I read so much that I'm rather jaded and rarely find a book that I cannot put down, but that one had me riveted. I was torn because on the one hand I couldn't wait to find out what had happened to the protagonist but I was enjoying the book so much I didn't want it to end. Anyway, if you enjoy mystery/suspense novels, I highly recommend it.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
I just read the synopsis of Gone Girl and that one is definitely going on my list. Has anyone read 'Before I Go to Sleep?' I read so much that I'm rather jaded and rarely find a book that I cannot put down, but that one had me riveted. I was torn because on the one hand I couldn't wait to find out what had happened to the protagonist but I was enjoying the book so much I didn't want it to end. Anyway, if you enjoy mystery/suspense novels, I highly recommend it.
I really liked "Before I Go to Sleep" also!

I think "Gone Girl" is going to be my next book. I'm currently reading Stephen King's "11/22/63." It's good, but I am not flying through it like I do most books.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: