Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #271
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

One of my books is free thursday for Kindle Prime members. If a prime member and interested send me a pm and I will send you info.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #272
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Ok, book lovers! I need some help. For our book club, we have all been asked to bring a list of 5 or so Christmas books for our members to choose from for our December meeting. I need some help!!!!!

In the past we've read:

Skipping Christmas
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
A Christmas Carol

I figured you all would be able to help me out with this. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!
How about "Wishin' and Hopin': A Christmas Story'" by Wally Lamb

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken

Currently reading: #23 You Don't Want to Know

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #273
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Ok, book lovers! I need some help. For our book club, we have all been asked to bring a list of 5 or so Christmas books for our members to choose from for our December meeting. I need some help!!!!!

In the past we've read:

Skipping Christmas
A Christmas Carol

Thanks in advance!
Christmas Shoes! Just kidding -- the song annoys me too much.

Dickens wrote a number of other Christmas books, including Cricket on the Hearth. "The Precious Present" by Spencer Johnson is short, but very good.

Here are some others to consider:

The Gift - Cecelia Ahern
Knit the Season A Friday Night Knitting Club Novel - Kate Jacobs
The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 - Christopher Moore
An Idiot Girl's Christmas True Tales from the Top of the Naughty List - Laurie Notaro
You Better Not Cry Stories for Christmas - Augusten Burroughs
Let It Snow Three Holiday Stories - John Green etc.
A Redbird Christmas A Novel - Fannie Flagg
The Mitford Snowmen - Jan Karon
The Gift of the Magi - O. Henry
Visions of Sugar Plums - Janet Evanovich
Shakespeare's Christmas - Charlaine Harris

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #274
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:

In the past we've read:

Skipping Christmas
A Christmas Carol

Thanks in advance!
The Santa Shop.

Also, I am taking a HP break and am reading 11/22/63. I'm only 115 pages in but I'm hooked. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #275
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Ok, so I just finished 'Swan Song' & it was a very good book, but I really liked 'The Stand' a lot better. I have read & reread The Stand but don't think I would re-read Swan Song.

Book Challenge Goal 51/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #276
threeboysmom

So glad this thread has been resurrected! I've read many a great book from the recommendations of all of you!

FINALLY reading Gone Girl! This was my pick for summer reading, lol, and here it is mid-October and I'm just now managing to get to it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I'm on page 302 out of 470 and wow am I hooked!! I realize many are not happy with the ending so trying to steel myself for that.

Cannot wait to read her other books too!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #277
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3
Ok, so I just finished 'Swan Song' & it was a very good book, but I really liked 'The Stand' a lot better. I have read & reread The Stand but don't think I would re-read Swan Song.
Swan Song is next on my list. I am currently reading 2 short story collaborations by Stephen King and Joe Hill, Full Throttle and In the Tall Grass. Both are very good, spooky fun.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #278
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
So glad this thread has been resurrected! I've read many a great book from the recommendations of all of you!

FINALLY reading Gone Girl! This was my pick for summer reading, lol, and here it is mid-October and I'm just now managing to get to it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I'm on page 302 out of 470 and wow am I hooked!! I realize many are not happy with the ending so trying to steel myself for that.

Cannot wait to read her other books too!
I just finished Dark Places last night. It was good but I think Gone Girl was better, even though I didn't like the ending.
I'm still on the waiting list for Sharp Objects, but I may just break down and buy from Amazon and download it tonight.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #279
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I just finished Dark Places last night. It was good but I think Gone Girl was better, even though I didn't like the ending.
I'm still on the waiting list for Sharp Objects, but I may just break down and buy from Amazon and download it tonight.
I'm still on my libraries waiting list for Sharp Objects too. I think I've been on it forever!!!!!

OH, finished 11/22/63. Loved it! I read the original ending online when I was finished and I'm so glad his son made him change it. I hated it! The current ending is so much better.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #280
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

I just started The Twelve. It is the second in The Passage trilogy. So far, pretty darn good. It took 2 years for this sequel to come out so I am struggling a bit trying to rememeber the original charcters and story line
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #281
threeboysmom

Finished Gone Girl over the weekend. LOVED IT even despite the ending!

I've gone back to reading Les Miserables (took a quick hiatus to read Gone Girl). Have about 100 pages left (approx. 1400 pages!!). It's been a long & sometimes hard read, but gosh, I cannot wait to see the film now!!

Have requested from the library:

Sharp Objects
Dark Places
The Book Thief
Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore
The Fiery Cross

Will read whatever comes in first. Hopefully, not all 5 at once... but that is usually what happens!

EDIT: Just checked my library website, 4 out of the 5 books just shipped, lol. Figures!!

Last edited by threeboysmom; 10-22-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: bc I can't spell or remember my books!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #282
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
I just started The Twelve. It is the second in The Passage trilogy. So far, pretty darn good. It took 2 years for this sequel to come out so I am struggling a bit trying to rememeber the original charcters and story line
I have the first one (I guess it is The Passage?) but I'm going to try to hold out on reading it until the last one comes out so I can read them one after the other. My memory is terrible when it comes to retaining characters and plot lines. I have a hard enough time just keeping up with the details in the current book I'm reading!

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #283
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Currently reading "Beautiful Ruins" for my book club. So far, it's holding my interest. I hope it picks up the pace, though. It reads a bit slow.

I'm also reading "Storybound". A YA book that my 10 year old daughter wanted me to read. Not stellar writing, but it's a fun plot.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #284
kinntj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
My DH is reading that one. I just started reading the Passage last night after holding off for so long. I figure it's a great end of October book.

I'm waiting for some books to come from Amazon. I ordered Divergent, The Maze Runner, and Delirium.

We're back from our June 2014 Aulani trip!

Currently reading: 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant, Eat Sleep Move, Unbroken,
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #285
newt2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Seems like there was something else I read, but can't remember now... Oh! Read the first five books of Wool. Was interesting enough to grab my attention throughout all five books, but it didn't seem to end(?) Must be more books coming perhaps.
There's one more currently out that goes back in time to explain what happened, or at least part of it.

He's also working on at least two more sequels to the Juliette story line too.

I really like these books. Not just the story but how he bucked the major publishing houses and became the first self published author with a #1 bestseller.

I just finished Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War by James Corey. These are good edge of your seat sci-fi\horror thrillers. A little far fetched but entertaining and fast paced.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: