Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
Laurie12820
Wishing Upon a Star for another Disney Cruise!

Honestly, the only time I wore jeans was at the Pirate Party! Born and raised in MA I'm acclimated to the colder weather, lol. I'd pack shorts, pants and a light sweatshirt.
RCCL: Empress (02, 06), Enchantment (07), Mariner (08), Granduer (09)
Laurie12820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
Laurie12820

Halifax Pt. 1

This morning we arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Our first port of the trip.

We were up at 7:00am. We turned on the bridge cam channel and we saw that it was sunny out. This was a good sign! We got ready for the day and headed to Lumiere's for a nice sit down breakfast. While we were eating breakfast we spotted Mickey in his fly fishing gear. It was so nice to see him dressed in his Canadian outfit!
Once we were finished we went out on deck to check the temperature. It was nice and warm, a welcome surprise! While we were heading back to the cabin to get ready to disembark, we bumped into Donald Duck at Shutters. He stopped to give DD a kiss and hug and then he posed for a picture. She was ecstatic!

With all of our IDs in hand we walked off the gangway and onto Canadian soil. What to do...We had no excursions planned. We decided to just go with the flow. We decided to get on the Hop On - Hop Off busses right outside of the port.

We took route "c" which brought us to the Citadel.

We got there around 11:30am and were informed that they would be firing the daily noon cannon!

We did some exploring before we headed up to the top to see the firing of the cannon. Boy, was that LOUD!

After they fired the cannon, the drums and bagpipes began playing and we did some more exploring.

This was the perfect place for the three of us. History for DH, a place to run and explore for DD and a great place to photograph for me. It started to get late and we were getting hungry. We decided to catch the bus and head back to the ship for lunch.
Waiting for the bus:

Today, we had lunch at Topsiders and for dessert we had ice cream from the soft serve machines. DD's naptime was approaching, so, we put her down for her nap and I went out to take some pictures of the ship while most people were ashore.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #33
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I don't believe that cute,precious little face had any sort of a meltdown. I think you are making that up!

Halifax looks pretty. So how does the hop on and off bus work? Do you just get a ticket right at the bus, or does it have a little station type thing to buy one and it's good for the day? Is it fairly priced?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
Laurie12820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I don't believe that cute,precious little face had any sort of a meltdown. I think you are making that up!

Halifax looks pretty. So how does the hop on and off bus work? Do you just get a ticket right at the bus, or does it have a little station type thing to buy one and it's good for the day? Is it fairly priced?
Haha! Surely, you know that cute little face can be deceiving!

The hop on/hop off buses were stationed right at the port. You could prebook this through DCL as an excursion, or, they had a little podium right by the buses where they would charge your onboard account! It was for the full day and there are three different routes you could take, you could transfer routes at certain spots too. It was $45/adult. It was partly a sightseeing tour as well as a guide was pointing out different things and giving us some history about Halifax. We found it to be pricey because we only went to the Citadel and back because it was quite a trek, we spent a good amount of time at the Citadel and we waited a good half hour to catch a bus back to the port. By that time it was lunch/nap time for DD. And, we did not want another melt down!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #35
sari8970
Mouseketeer

I'm loving your trip report. We are going on the same cruise on 8/12. I'm so excited. I've been debating what to bring for clothing. I was going to do pants at night, but it seems a lot of people on our trip (joined the group) said they are bringing skirts, dresses or capris. I'd hate to be cold, but capris are so much easier to pack in terms of shoes. Unfortunately every pair of pants I own needs a different pair of shoes and I know DH will throw me overboard if I do that

Thanks so much for writing this!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #36
AshAlytwins
DIS Veteran

Location: 16 hr. Autotrain ride away from the MAGIC! Hollidaysburg, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sari8970 View Post
I'm loving your trip report. We are going on the same cruise on 8/12. I'm so excited. I've been debating what to bring for clothing. I was going to do pants at night, but it seems a lot of people on our trip (joined the group) said they are bringing skirts, dresses or capris. I'd hate to be cold, but capris are so much easier to pack in terms of shoes. Unfortunately every pair of pants I own needs a different pair of shoes and I know DH will throw me overboard if I do that

Thanks so much for writing this!
I hear ya about the shoes!! I hate to be cold too so I'm not really sure what to pack! Probably will bring a pair of jeans and some khakis!!!
We are so excited about the trip, but a bit sad because it will be our first trip without our girls ever!!
POP Century/MVMCP/Wonder 12/'05
AKL/Wonder/POP Century/MVMCP 11-12/'06
WDW/Sheraton Vistana Villages 6/7-6/15/'08
Disney Magic Ignagural NYC-Bahama Cruise 5/25/12-6/02/12
Disney Magic Final NYC-Canada Cruise 9/12-17/2012

AshAlytwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #37
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Loving the TR! It looks like a great itinerary (I'd love to give it a try at some point).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #38
Laurie12820

Thank you all!

I only wore jeans at night on deck and we very rarely were outside at night on deck. Come to think of it, we were only outside at night at the Pirate Party. Otherwise I wore shorts and dresses. I was comfortable in the ship and on land in CA.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
Laurie12820

Halifax Pt. 2

Once DD was up, we went to go and meet Daisy Duck. We were the second person in line. Notice our matching Minnie flowers! A dear co-worker made these for us !

Port days are the best to meet the characters because most people are still ashore!

We stopped and took some pictures:

After Daisy, came Pluto and DD was very excited to meet him too! She said he licked her. It was too cute!

Once we finished we got DD some supper from Pluto's Dog House and then we got ready to head to Palo for our dinner. We dropped DD off at Flounder's and went up to Palo.
Unfortunately, I did not grab the camera for our Palo dinner. We were warmly greeted in Palo and our server Yelena came right over to see us. She asked us if this was our first time dining here and we told her it was. She explained the menu and left us to decide on drinks. DH, of course, ordered the Palo Signature drink because it had Grappa in it! I ordered a mixed drink, and I do not remember what it was called! It had sparkling wine in it and peach tree I think! Yelena brought us the fresh baked bread and antipasto. For appetizers we chose the Tuna Carpaccio and Lemon Oil Dressing (DH) and the Tuscan Minestrone Soup (me).
The appetizers were delicious as was the bread. Yelena then brought us our lemon sorbet palate cleanser. This was a welcome treat ! For dinner we ordered the Palo Beef Tenderloin. This was delicious as well, we ordered ours with the wine glaze. Yum! At this time Yelena asked us if we would be interested in the Chocolate Soufflé for dessert as it takes 25 to prepare and cook. She didn't have to ask me twice or show me the dessert menu, I was sold . DH was as well! We finished our meals and had a few minutes before dessert came. Yelena asked if we wanted coffee or tea. I ordered a coffee, and, after the Grappa cocktail DH stuck with water, lol .
Our Chocolate Soufflé came and it smelled divine. Yelena poked them open and poured in the vanilla and chocolate sauce. There was some vanilla ice cream on the side as well. This dessert was to die for ! We thought we were done, but, Yelena came back with an after dinner shot . It was delicious as it was made with the lemon sorbet, prosecco and vodka, I think. We rolled out of Palo and headed down to Flounder's. We watched DD through the window again and she was having fun . She didn't want to leave this time, she was actually hiding behind one of the counselors !
We finally pried her away, changed out clothes and headed to the Walt Disney Theater to see Villains Tonight! The three of us loved this show! It was wonderful. I'm sure the popcorn and apple juice helped Cassie to keep her interest. After the show we went back to the cabin and called it a night.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #41
Laurie12820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Your dinner sounds so good! Some day I will get there and try the soufflé.
The souffle alone is worth it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #42
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR! Thanks so much. I sail with my DS7 in one week! We are really looking forward to the trip, so thanks for the details!
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
Laurie12820

Wed., July 11, 2012: St. John, NB

We woke up bright and early today! We turned on the TV and tuned into the bridge cam, we were pulling into the port of St. John, NB .

We had no real plans again today so we took our time heading up to breakfast. We opted to eat at Topsiders this morning so DH could have a freshly prepared your way omelet. Immediately after breakfast we went to the room to grab our cameras and passports and headed to the gangway to go and explore St. John .
We were overwhelmed by the friendly welcome we received in the terminal. I was gifted a rose, DH was gifted a lapel pin and DD was gifted a small Canadian flag .

We were also given maps of the area and was told where the nearest Tim Horton’s was.

THAT was music to my ears! I looooooooooooooooove Tim Horton’s . The closest one to us at home is 20 minutes away! We put our gifts into the backpack and started to head down the road. I wanted to get some good shots of the Magic while she was in port. We walked down through the little market area where locals were selling different wares. We ended up buying some locally made honey and chatted with the sellers for a few minutes. Come to find out, they head down to our area for some good outlet shopping!

After we bought the honey we continued down the boardwalk area where I was able to get some shots of the Magic.

Once I had gotten the shots I wanted, we went into Market Square.

This was like a small shopping mall which housed the public library as well.

This is where we found Tim Horton’s! Finally, some good coffee (sorry Disney!)! While I enjoyed my coffee and cookie, DD enjoyed some Tim Bits and DH went to find some Red Bull.

We made a couple phone calls home and then decided to go explore downtown St. John. We left Market Square and wandered up the street.

We then happened upon Freak Lunchbox.

I had heard about Freak Lunchbox on the DIS so I told DH we had to head in. He had no qualms about it because he saw it was a candy store! The three of us had fun in this store! I got some Sweethearts, DH got a lot of stuff and DD got a Cars Pez dispenser. We continued up the street and ended up in a public park.

We let DD run around and let off some steam as there really isn’t any place for her to do that on the ship.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #45
Laurie12820

St. John, NB Pt. 2

Lunch time was coming up so we decided to get DD a Happy Meal at the McDonald’s in the mall. We enjoyed sitting and resting while she devoured her meal.

Once she finished we went to check out the little science shop in the Mall and then headed back toward the port. We saw a sign for cupcakes and, we of course, had to follow the sign ! We happened upon Piece O’ Cake bakery and immediately started drooling! We grabbed a Cookies and Cream cupcake and a Dream Filled cupcake .
We left the shop and decided to head back on board so DD could get her nap in. Before we put DD for a nap we decided that she should at least be able to swim in the Mickey pool just once this cruise! The weather on the last sea day was cold and foggy so the pool wasn’t very appealing! Once she was changed and ready to swim we went up to deck 9 and she stepped right in. She announced that it was COLD!

At this point she was alone in the Mickey pool, but a few minutes later there were a few other little girls who came to swim. DD was so excited to have someone to swim with.

While DD swam DH and I got some lunch. I decided to try a taco from Pluto’s Dog House. It was okay, but, not what I’m used to. DH opted for Topsiders as it was a seafood buffet today. We ate our lunch while DD splashed around. I spent some time sitting on the edge of the pool watching DD and a few minutes later DH brought over a Corona and told me to go and enjoy some quiet time in the Quiet Cove. What a guy! I got to relax here for a half an hour before I saw DH and DD walking through to get back to the cabin.

DH told me to stay and he’d put her for a nap, but, I had had enough sun at this point and joined them.
We devoured the cupcakes in the room before she fell asleep and then decided to relax while she napped.

DH watched a movie and I read more of my book. Tonight was Pirate Night so we wanted to be rested so we could enjoy the nights festivities!
5:00 was quickly approaching and we were planning to meet Stitch at 5:15. Stitch is DD’s absolute favorite character, we couldn’t miss it! She was not very happy to be woken from her nap, but, once we got to deck 4 and she saw Hook and Smee her attitude changed!

We got in line for Stitch and then she spotted him coming down the stairs. She was BESIDE herself! She clutched her stuffed Stitch and waited for her turn to meet him.
DD’s turn finally came and she couldn’t stop smiling! Stitch was so excited to see that she had a mini Stitch!

He gave her a lot of hugs and posed for pictures.

She was on cloud nine! We then quickly got in line for Chip & Dale so that we could get ready for dinner. The line moved quickly and soon Chip and Dale were welcoming DD with open arms. They played with her hair, hugged her and posed for pictures. It was a riot!

We dashed to the room to change for dinner and went to Lumiere’s. It’s not a very piratey restaurant, but, our servers wasted no time slapping our bandanas on our heads! DD opted for a Fairy cup with a light up Tinkerbell and we enjoyed our dinner. I can’t remember exactly what DH had that night but I know I had the chicken and it was VERY spicy! I wasn’t a fan of this menu.
After dinner we saw Hook and Smee were back out so we got in line so DD could meet him. She did tell us she needed a sword so she could fight Capt. Hook!

After she met Hook and Smee, we went to change into our Pirate Night shirts I had made and went to meet Capt. Sparrow.

DH was the Skipper, I was the First Mate and DD was "The Millionaire", lol.
Right after we met Capt. Sparrow, we went to the theater to see the ventriloquist. We all enjoyed the show, even DD.
By this time we were ready to head up to the Pirate Deck Party. It was also very foggy and we were wondering if the show would go on. But, not before we put on some jeans and a sweatshirt because it. was. COLD. We also busted out all of our glow necklaces and we were ready to go! We got up to deck 9 and the party was already in full swing. DD started dancing as soon as her feet hit the floor! We were having a great time and then that Captain Hook thought he was going to take over the show. Well, Mickey came to show him who was really in charge of the show! Mickey didn’t end up swinging into the party because of the weather conditions but he got the fireworks started. They were AMAZING! We loved the show!
Fireworks Video
By this time it was VERY late and we went right to bed. Even though the turkey legs smelled delicious!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: