Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
OK, so I realise I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but this is my opinion:

Peanut allergies can be lethal. If you are the parent of a small child with a peanut allergy, then I would imagine that you teach that child of the dangers of peanuts, and to avoid them at all costs. So, a small child sees peanuts in the ground in Fantasyland and - quite wisely - recognises that they are to be avoided. A small child doesn't know that they are probably fake - why would he/she? Isn't everything in WDW made to look real to children? The child's reaction is completely sensible and rational, and may well save his/her life one day.

Even as an adult, who's trained yourself to look for peanuts in unusual places, you may think logically that they are fake, but would you be willing to bet your child's well-being - maybe even life - on it? If not, then what do you do? You find out by asking a cast member, or calling Disney. You can then be reassured, and in turn reassure the child that those particular peanuts are make-believe and that they can enjoy Fantasyland.

All of which is a logical and reasonable response for people that are in a unique situation. No-one in that thread was "up in arms" about having peanut details in the concrete. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be a parent of a child with a peanut allergy; I do not pretend to know what they're going through. But if I was in that position, I think I would probably be devastated to be mocked for those actions.
Thank you! ~parent of two peanut allergic boys (one of whom is 4yo and did not want to take a chance walking on fake peanuts, but once reassured by a non-overreactive parent, not only trod over them, but enjoyed dumbos ride!)
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
danaw11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76
I don't think Disney did anything wrong here either. It's a nice touch.

My point is that I do not think it is right to bully and publicly mock those parents who are dealing with this and who might have thought twice.

How often do we hear that we should be more considerate to people using wheelchairs and ECVs in the park, and that we should not criticise until we've been in their situation. But apparently this does not apply to other disabilities - apparently it's OK to mock them and bully them. Dressing it up as 'humour' doesn't negate it. There's enough nastiness in the world already.
Thumbs up! Thanks for at least trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes instead of instantly mocking.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

Does anybody have a photo of the space we're talking about?
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
How often do we hear that we should be more considerate to people using wheelchairs and ECVs in the park, and that we should not criticise until we've been in their situation. But apparently this does not apply to other disabilities - apparently it's OK to mock them and bully them. Dressing it up as 'humour' doesn't negate it. There's enough nastiness in the world already.
While I have agreed with most of what you said, I don't agree with this.

Comparing someone who spends life confined to a wheelchair, to someone that reacted to a cement peanut seems far-fetched.

I also feel that we have recently seen the degradation of the word "bully". People are finally starting to speak to the real and serious issue of bullying and the results that can come of it.

Disney does a great job of dealing with folks needing help with accessibility as well as folks with food allergies. No one is taking anything away from that.

As for wrapping this in humor....I think we could all take ourselves a bit less seriously and laugh at our foibles. If anyone has reacted or over-reacted to cement peanuts....I think we could all take a step back and laugh.

Please do not insinuate from what I have said, that I think peanut allergies (or any other potentially lethal allergy) are humorous. I don't.

Had Disney spread real peanut shells around the Dumbo ride, I would think that guests have every right to be worried, but, as these were actually imbedded in the cement (so guests don't trip over cement peanuts), in hindsight...it's kinda funny.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Get a life, people. Kids shouldn't spend whole life in a bubble.

It's Dumbo..Circus elephants eat peanuts. Peanuts fit with the theme. If they're cement peanuts, does away with allergy threat.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

You can see the peanuts are very subtle in the theming.

Here is some of the other theming in the cement.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

The footprints aren't real either.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #38
darrengs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin
The footprints aren't real either.
Whhaaattt, now I've heard everything.

darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
kuzco-like
Mouseketeer

I understand that food allergies are deadly serious. I understand that those who are allergic must be careful to steer clear of the allergens that are dangerous to them. But I have to wonder where this is going? In my home town, Vancouver, someone is trying to get peanuts in the shell banned from stadiums and sports events because she is allergic. I do empathize with her. It must be terribly confining to be that allergic. But how can she ask everyone to change to accommodate her? Is that reasonable?
kuzco-like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #40
Mousemom234
Mouseketeer

Not taking sides, just offering a suggestion. I can understand that this might be a cause for major concern, based on what I've learned about peanut allergies. I might have called, too, just to make sure, if it was an issue for my family.

If a child on your trip would be freaked out by the cement peanuts, to the point of terror, then it's a serious concern to you and to them.
What I might say to reassure them is something like, "Those peanuts belong to Dumbo - they can't hurt you. They were made especially for him."
Mousemom234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

My late husband was severely allergic to many many things. We didn't expect everyone to change their world to accomodate him. I made him separate meals many times. Sometimes he just wouldn't eat while we were out because of his allergies.

I can understand families being upset about the peanuts in the cement but they also bear some responsibility. I would hate to see Disney having generic designs because of food issues.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
THE3jsmom
Melinda

It was one of the best rants/segments I have heard.

I can't wait to see if Gaston is covered with hair and to see Beast

Melinda, mommy to Jalen , Jade and Jordan

Disney Trips
Spring Break trips in 1990's
Disneyland trips in 1990's
September 2001 (Poly-Land and Sea-Wonder)
Disney Dream November 2011
THE3jsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #43
darrengs
DIS Veteran

If someone has anxiety issues based on seeing fake peanuts that they cannot overcome, then unfortunately the only real solution is to bypass that area. I suffer from claustrophobia, which appears to get worse as I get older. I do not expect Disney to remove Mission Space (or any other attraction that may trigger my anxiety), I make the decision to ride it or not based on my ability to cope with the small space.

darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #44
thbath77
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
While I have agreed with most of what you said, I don't agree with this.

Comparing someone who spends life confined to a wheelchair, to someone that reacted to a cement peanut seems far-fetched.

I also feel that we have recently seen the degradation of the word "bully". People are finally starting to speak to the real and serious issue of bullying and the results that can come of it.

Disney does a great job of dealing with folks needing help with accessibility as well as folks with food allergies. No one is taking anything away from that.

As for wrapping this in humor....I think we could all take ourselves a bit less seriously and laugh at our foibles. If anyone has reacted or over-reacted to cement peanuts....I think we could all take a step back and laugh.

Please do not insinuate from what I have said, that I think peanut allergies (or any other potentially lethal allergy) are humorous. I don't.

Had Disney spread real peanut shells around the Dumbo ride, I would think that guests have every right to be worried, but, as these were actually imbedded in the cement (so guests don't trip over cement peanuts), in hindsight...it's kinda funny.
Well said.... I understand that when it is your children the "mama bear protection" comes out however, we do need to take a step back and laugh at ourselves. I never heard any of Pete's rant insult people with Peanut allergy or insinuate it wasn't a serious issue. He was just saying take a step back, listen to what your saying, and you will hear how silly it sounds.
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney
thbath77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

Thanks to SafetyMom for the photos. They sure blend in for me. Looks like a mix of "peanuts" and leaves in the photo. Or are they all "peanuts"?
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: