Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
TaniaU
Mouseketeer

how about using a knitting row counter? I'm only familiar with the old school dial kind, but there might be bigger kinds that would work.

DCL Jan 2009!
DCL Feb 2011!
DCL Sept 2012!
TaniaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

My iPod Nano with the Nike + calculated the distance fine. It's a newer Nano, so I didn't need the thing that goes into your shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
YayDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

I'll be running about 12 miles a day and was also trying to find a solution to counting laps. My watch is capable of counting up to 30 laps but that could be short some days so I'm going to try something else. Idea is that I'll mark my arm with a sharpie (or perhaps a less permanent marker) with a tally mark every lap. Let's just hope I don't look like a mess afterwards
That is hysterical -
YayDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97
My iPod Nano with the Nike + calculated the distance fine. It's a newer Nano, so I didn't need the thing that goes into your shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Really I have a new nano I am checking this out
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypirate View Post
Funny you would mention that about the GPS - i had mine on while running on a moving Carnival ship and it posted that i ran a 3 minute mile! I was super fast!
Was that nautical miles?
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
poohs_hunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80 View Post
I'll be running about 12 miles a day and was also trying to find a solution to counting laps. My watch is capable of counting up to 30 laps but that could be short some days so I'm going to try something else. Idea is that I'll mark my arm with a sharpie (or perhaps a less permanent marker) with a tally mark every lap. Let's just hope I don't look like a mess afterwards
Can you count the first 30 using your watch, then reset it to count the rest?
Past trips: 7/14 - Honeymoon on the Disney Magic, 11/13 - Art of Animation, 6/13 - Caribbean Beach *Engaged!* , 6/12 - Pop Century & the Disney Fantasy, 7/11 - Coronado Springs, 7/10 - Pop Century, 7/09 - Caribbean Beach & the Disney Wonder, 8/08 - Pop Century, 10/07 Disneyland, 6/07 Caribbean Beach, 8/06 Pop Century, 8/05 Caribbean Beach, 5/04 Pop Century, 5/02 Offsite, 5/98 Offsite
poohs_hunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
z80
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs_hunny

Can you count the first 30 using your watch, then reset it to count the rest?
Unfortunately not without deleting the run history so not much of an option there but perhaps a similar solution is to after 30 laps just simply count in my head cause I'd only be doing 5 extra laps top. There really is no limit to creative counting solutions
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
Rikersmom
DIS Veteran

Not sure how helpful this is for those of you running many miles, but maybe you can find a variation that works for you.

I walk two miles every morning. On the Fantasy, I took 5 coins with me--put them in my right pocket. Each lap I transfer one coin to the opposite pocket. Works good for me. I can never seem to remember how many laps I have done without feeling for the coins.
Rikersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

....And can you say;...... "I will only run/walk in a counter-clockwise direction"...........sure you can.
Husurdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
poohs_hunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikersmom View Post
Not sure how helpful this is for those of you running many miles, but maybe you can find a variation that works for you.

I walk two miles every morning. On the Fantasy, I took 5 coins with me--put them in my right pocket. Each lap I transfer one coin to the opposite pocket. Works good for me. I can never seem to remember how many laps I have done without feeling for the coins.
That's a great idea! Of course, most of my running shorts only have a tiny pocket on the inside so that may not work for everyone.
Past trips: 7/14 - Honeymoon on the Disney Magic, 11/13 - Art of Animation, 6/13 - Caribbean Beach *Engaged!* , 6/12 - Pop Century & the Disney Fantasy, 7/11 - Coronado Springs, 7/10 - Pop Century, 7/09 - Caribbean Beach & the Disney Wonder, 8/08 - Pop Century, 10/07 Disneyland, 6/07 Caribbean Beach, 8/06 Pop Century, 8/05 Caribbean Beach, 5/04 Pop Century, 5/02 Offsite, 5/98 Offsite
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
ladypirate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau

Was that nautical miles?
I guess it did do the nautical miles but I didn't realize it at the time. I'll use my run keeper app since I want my music and will shoot for 45 minutes which I think will be at least 4 miles and some change.... I've tried counting laps and that so didn't work for me.

Will be running the CC5k so I know the gps will work there. I love seeing the map after I run!

ladypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #27
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs_hunny View Post
That's a great idea! Of course, most of my running shorts only have a tiny pocket on the inside so that may not work for everyone.
You can also put loose rubber bands (hair ties) around one wrist and transfer it to the other wrist.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #28
YayDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSNDSNY

You can also put loose rubber bands (hair ties) around one wrist and transfer it to the other wrist.
This is actually a great idea - better than the sharpie for me cause I'm sure I would make a mess with that - ha ha ha. Regular rubber bands would work too. Thanks !! This board is so helpful !!😊
YayDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
jacksonholt
Earning My Ears

Is there an actual "track" surface?
Thanks!
jacksonholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
poohs_hunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonholt View Post
Is there an actual "track" surface?
Thanks!
No, it's a regular wooden (I guess?) surface. The first sea day I ran shortly after we passed through a big rainstorm. The deck was still wet (and looked slippery!) and I was so afraid that my foot would hit a wet spot and I'd go flying. No worries, though! I didn't so much as skid.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: