Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
ladypirate
Mouseketeer

Fantasy Jogging Track question

I'll be on the Fantasy for the July 28th sailing and i'm trying to stay on my running schedule. Looking at the Deck plan, it looks like Deck 4 has a jogging track but does it in fact go around the theater at the front? the white space disappears on the deck plan. Does anyone know, i'm sure it does but just thought to ask.

And does anyone know what the distance is in one lap? I only need 4-5 miles so wondering in advance how many laps that'll be...

ladypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Track on the dream ducks inside at one end, I'm sure the fantasy is the same. I can't recall if the laps are 1/8 or maybe a 1/4 mile? But it SEEMS like its about 1400000 laps to the mile!!

Don't forget the CC 5k on your castaway day!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

2.5 laps is 1 mile. The track goes all the way around the ship and does not need to be closed during docking. Remember if you normally run with a GPS, it will not track correctly when the ship is moving.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

We walked it 3 miles every day. It is much better than the Magic or Wonder for a few reasons. Much wider and easier to pass slower folks. They don't need to close the bow area during mooring operations since all of that stuff is enclosed. Also some nice fans keep it cool in the enclosed deck sections fore and aft. We enjoyed it.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
ladypirate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
2.5 laps is 1 mile. The track goes all the way around the ship and does not need to be closed during docking. Remember if you normally run with a GPS, it will not track correctly when the ship is moving.
Funny you would mention that about the GPS - i had mine on while running on a moving Carnival ship and it posted that i ran a 3 minute mile! I was super fast!

ladypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypirate View Post
Funny you would mention that about the GPS - i had mine on while running on a moving Carnival ship and it posted that i ran a 3 minute mile! I was super fast!
omg! Such a good point! I didn't think about that. I'm fairly new to running, but I definitely want to keep on my schedule, too ! I'm going to have to count laps!
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
mare141
Keep Moving Forward

Thanks for the info! I was wondering the same thing...I'm 3 months into my training and I can't really afford to stop.

Past Cruises/Trips:
Sept 24 2011 Magic Cruise
Sept 21-23 2011 Animal Kingdom/Disney World

Next Up: Sept 22 2012...Fantasy!

mare141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
kristie03
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

It also feels like you are running sooooo fast on the when you are running the same way the ship is facing, but on the other side of the ship with the water going the opposite way it seemed much longer to me....

DL - Apr. 1992/Off Property - May 1996/Caribbean Beach - Nov. 1997, Feb. 2004, May 2006/Port Orleans Riverside - Apr. 2009, Jan. 2010/SSR - Mar 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2012/BLT - Jul. 2010, Nov. 2010, June 2011, June 2012/AKV Jambo - Apr. 2011/Beach Club - Oct 2011/BWV - Sept 2012//BCV - Dec 2012/Disney Dream - Nov. 2011, Jan 2013, Aug 2013/Disney Fantasty - Mar. 2012 (MV)/Disney Magic - Jul. 2012
kristie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed running on the Fantasy too. It is wider than the classic ships at certain parts, but keep in mind that the walkers walk in the same direction as the runners. I had to ask several people to make way as many walkers tend to walk in bigger groups (3 or so across) and unknowingly block the jogging path. Overall not a big deal, but it would be more convenient if Disney would have walkers go in the opposite direction as runners. Just a thought.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDisneyDad
I had to ask several people to make way as many walkers tend to walk in bigger groups (3 or so across) and unknowingly block the jogging path. Overall not a big deal, but it would be more convenient if Disney would have walkers go in the opposite direction as runners. Just a thought.
That happened to me too. I only ran on it on St Thomas/St John AM. I managed to exercise all of the other days as well, but only ran deck 4 once.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDisneyDad View Post
I enjoyed running on the Fantasy too. It is wider than the classic ships at certain parts, but keep in mind that the walkers walk in the same direction as the runners. I had to ask several people to make way as many walkers tend to walk in bigger groups (3 or so across) and unknowingly block the jogging path. Overall not a big deal, but it would be more convenient if Disney would have walkers go in the opposite direction as runners. Just a thought.
Walkers going in the opposite direction would not work on the classic ships and would be difficult on the bow/stern of the new ships as well. Once on the Wonder, I was running around the bow and a woman was walking in the wrong direction and I did not see her till it was to late and knocked her over and "ran" her over. There was just no room or enough time for me to avoid her.

I felt horrible but there really wasn't anything I could do. I had been keeping track of the location of the walkers ahead of me so I knew if I was going to be in the bow or stern with them but did not anticapte walkers in the wrong direction! I'm sure for the rest of the cruise, she walked in the correct direction!

Also be aware of shuttle board players, they do play early in the morning! I have been hit once by a pole thingy a kid could not control and my DH has trip and fallen over a shuttle board puck thing.

Overall-It is still better than running on a treadmill.

I turn off my GPS and just use my footpod to track my distance. My DH just runs with a stop watch and gaues his distance of his time/what he thinks his pace is. We both have tried couting laps and we both have failed
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Walkers going in the opposite direction would not work on the classic ships and would be difficult on the bow/stern of the new ships as well. Once on the Wonder, I was running around the bow and a woman was walking in the wrong direction and I did not see her till it was to late and knocked her over and "ran" her over. There was just no room or enough time for me to avoid her.

I felt horrible but there really wasn't anything I could do. I had been keeping track of the location of the walkers ahead of me so I knew if I was going to be in the bow or stern with them but did not anticapte walkers in the wrong direction! I'm sure for the rest of the cruise, she walked in the correct direction!

Also be aware of shuttle board players, they do play early in the morning! I have been hit once by a pole thingy a kid could not control and my DH has trip and fallen over a shuttle board puck thing.

Overall-It is still better than running on a treadmill.

I turn off my GPS and just use my footpod to track my distance. My DH just runs with a stop watch and gaues his distance of his time/what he thinks his pace is. We both have tried couting laps and we both have failed
Aren't those corners what the mirrors are set up for? I always check those mirrors when going around the corners to make sure I avoid any collisions.

That's funny about counting laps. I literally had to use my fingers to count the laps and had to memorize the lifeboat boarding letter where I started to not get confused. I agree that it is still so much better than a treadmill -dodging walkers and shuffleboard players isn't that big a deal overall when compared to the views and feel of running on the ship. I wish I were there now.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
YayDisney
Mouseketeer

I'm training for the fall marathon season and will be running 13 miles on the ship! The GPS won't work and I don't have a foot pod. I was trying to come up with a more creative ways to count laps, since, doing the math on a quarter mile per lap, it's over 50 that I will be running! I guess it's better than the treadmill, but I might get nauseous from the circling ! Ha ha ha
YayDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDisneyDad View Post
Aren't those corners what the mirrors are set up for? I always check those mirrors when going around the corners to make sure I avoid any collisions.

That's funny about counting laps. I literally had to use my fingers to count the laps and had to memorize the lifeboat boarding letter where I started to not get confused. I agree that it is still so much better than a treadmill -dodging walkers and shuffleboard players isn't that big a deal overall when compared to the views and feel of running on the ship. I wish I were there now.
I saw and used the mirrors on the Fantasy on our April cruise but do not remember them on the Wonder years ago, maybe they were newly add? I did mention the issue on the comment card! or maybe I just wasn't paying attention that morning or I was just focusing to hard on keeping track of my laps!.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
z80
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayDisney
I'm training for the fall marathon season and will be running 13 miles on the ship! The GPS won't work and I don't have a foot pod. I was trying to come up with a more creative ways to count laps, since, doing the math on a quarter mile per lap, it's over 50 that I will be running! I guess it's better than the treadmill, but I might get nauseous from the circling ! Ha ha ha
I'll be running about 12 miles a day and was also trying to find a solution to counting laps. My watch is capable of counting up to 30 laps but that could be short some days so I'm going to try something else. Idea is that I'll mark my arm with a sharpie (or perhaps a less permanent marker) with a tally mark every lap. Let's just hope I don't look like a mess afterwards
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: