Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Why doesn't WDW have a dance party a la Mad T?

Over at DLR, they have had awesome nightly dance club-esque events throughout the years, some starting at DL and then moving over to DCA. Recently, DCA had a Tron inspired dance party and now they have the Mad T party. And yes, I know that DLR attracts more locals and such, but still, why doesn't WDW have a (semi) nightly dance event in one of the parks?

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL), Feb15(?). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)[SIZE="1"][B]
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
aznshents
Mouseketeer

They do! It's called Club 626 Dance Party and happens most evenings in Magic Kingdom in Tomorrowland. Characters in their space gear come out and dance with people.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshents View Post
They do! It's called Club 626 Dance Party and happens most evenings in Magic Kingdom in Tomorrowland. Characters in their space gear come out and dance with people.
Is it on the same 'level' of grandeur as the Mad T with speciality drinks (would have to be mocktails obv. at MK) and lighting/souvenirs etc??

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL), Feb15(?). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)[SIZE="1"][B]
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

When we were in DHS November last year, there was a dance party at night with Disney Jr characters. Obviously targeted toward younger ages than Mad T party, so not sure if it might be what you are looking for.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
Over at DLR, they have had awesome nightly dance club-esque events throughout the years, some starting at DL and then moving over to DCA. Recently, DCA had a Tron inspired dance party and now they have the Mad T party. And yes, I know that DLR attracts more locals and such, but still, why doesn't WDW have a (semi) nightly dance event in one of the parks?
I think you already answered your question.

Most people at DLR have already been there done that so they have to keep things fresh to keep them coming.

At WDW most people are on their first and maybe only trip and are trying to fit everything in. They don't have time to dance.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
aznshents
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
don't have time to dance
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshents View Post
No not at WDW, sing maybe but no dance.

I can see it now.

"Mommy there are people dancing over there lest go!"

"Sorry honey we don't have time to dance, our touring plan says we have to be at BTMR at 14:33 and if we stop it will mess up our 15:13 ride on Dumbo. You can dance at home."
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
No not at WDW, sing maybe but no dance.

I can see it now.

"Mommy there are people dancing over there lest go!"

"Sorry honey we don't have time to dance, our touring plan says we have to be at BTMR at 14:33 and if we stop it will mess up our 15:13 ride on Dumbo. You can dance at home."
Oh that is just thoroughly depressing!!!! But oh so true.

Just would love to see something like (not a replica though) Mad T at DHS. Would be a fun addition!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh that is just thoroughly depressing!!!! But oh so true.

Just would love to see something like (not a replica though) Mad T at DHS. Would be a fun addition!
It just that, since its locals that may go every week, they have done everything a hundred times over so they have a ton of time in the parks and are looking for something to do.

Dance parties fill that void and keep them buying DLR AP's and buying food.

Same reason they do the Nightmare before Xmas HM overlay.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Very simply ... Disneyland needs it; WDW doesn't. Disneyland needs to do new things to keep people into the evening and to entice locals to come back over and over again in a market where there are a thousand other things to do in the evening.

WDW doesn't need that same push because they don't have nearly as much competition in FL, and they've got plenty of folks in the resorts who are already going to the parks at night.

It's a case of supply and demand.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Alright then! I need to start a campaign to get more Orlando peeps out at WDW. I also need to significantly increase the population to be at par with Southern California. I can do this all with a magic wand. (tee hee) Because a dance party is just THAT important!!!

Funny thing, I'm not even that big of a dancer. I just like all the special effects they have for the Mad T, special merch, and the corresponding Glow with the Show ears that work for dance party and World of Color.

I guess I just need to move back to my ol' home, Los Angeles.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Important to note that the Mad T Party is in DCA, a park that until recently couldn't sketch a crowd, never mind draw one. Even now, the T Party is tucked away in an area where very few people would otherwise go at night. DL and MK don't really have areas like that.

Disneyland does the swing dancing at the Pavilion and also has an 80's rock cover band in Tomorrowland some nights.

There's also the no alcohol policy in DL and MK, so something like the Mad T Party would have to happen sans alcohol, which would make it much less profitable for Disney.

But the biggest reason is what the OP mentioned, the crowd demographics are different between DLR and WDW and something like the Mad T Party fits much better at DLR. If it were going to happen at WDW, I'd guess it would happen at MGM. But if there really was a market for it, they wouldn't have closed the Pleasure Island clubs and would have done it there.

Who knows though, word is Disney is making some pretty good $$$ off the T Party at DCA, so maybe they will try it somewhere in WDW eventually. I just don't see it going over as well.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Now, in the olden days at Pleasure Island (slightly before the War of 1812, if memory serves me), they could fill the dance clubs because off-duty CM's and locals could add to the nunbers if there weren't enough guests.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: