Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #3361
BanditsMommy
Mouseketeer
 
BanditsMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
It is a Disney thing, not a DVC thing...
Okay now I have even more hope that I'll get this one day! I can't believe I've never heard of it. I probably did and blocked it out so I wouldn't get all jealous of people on my trip who got it ... selective hearing?
__________________
Me: DFi: Bandit:
BanditsMommy is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #3362
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Most likely that was a re-classified standard view studio. Some of the "bad" savanna views which have limited viewing are standard view despite the fact that the savanna can be seen from there. There is someone on the DVC boards who seems to keep a running list of those re-classified studios and all the way down Kudu trail sounds like one of these locations.

Actually, upgrading through DVC is really uncommon as the system works so that any given night more or less all rooms would be occupied (if all owners want to use their points they would be full all the time).
Hmm, maybe.. we were on the last short offspurt to the left on Kudu, two doors down - 5345. There wasn't a thing to block our view and we saw lots of animals off the sunset savannah.
__________________

Last edited by AquaDame; 12-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
AquaDame is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #3363
BCV23


Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 18,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Hmm, maybe.. we were on the last short offspurt to the left on Kudu, two doors down - 5345. There wasn't a thing to block our view and we saw lots of animals off the sunset savannah.
Over the years, I've noticed many more reports of upgrades when people have booked through Disney like you rather than DVC. It makes sense to me. It makes villas more appealing to those who don't own. And it doesn't tick off those of us who already own and might read of an upgrade to another owner because of their smile.

We've owned since 02 and have never had an upgrade. Of course, we've also had many more stays at regular WDW resorts since early 1980s and have had two upgrades total IIRC. Upgrades are rare, I think, but take on a life of their own on the DIS.
__________________
BCV23 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #3364
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Over the years, I've noticed many more reports of upgrades when people have booked through Disney like you rather than DVC. It makes sense to me. It makes villas more appealing to those who don't own. And it doesn't tick off those of us who already own and might read of an upgrade to another owner because of their smile.

We've owned since 02 and have never had an upgrade. Of course, we've also had many more stays at regular WDW resorts since early 1980s and have had two upgrades total IIRC. Upgrades are rare, I think, but take on a life of their own on the DIS.
....hmmmm....interesting.....
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #3365
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!
 
Flossbolna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 6,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Hmm, maybe.. we were on the last short offspurt to the left on Kudu, two doors down - 5345. There wasn't a thing to block our view and we saw lots of animals off the sunset savannah.
From your description it sounds like you were above a "people pen"? If you looked down directly from your balcony, did you see an enclosure directly underneath you with a dirt floor, not grass? That's a people pen. It does not limit the view of the savanna, but the animals can't get as close. It appears that these are exactly the rooms they reclassified - at least for DVC purposes. I think Disney still books those for the normal rooms as savanna view.

Anyway - whatever the room was classified at, it's great that you loved it!
__________________
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #3366
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
From your description it sounds like you were above a "people pen"? If you looked down directly from your balcony, did you see an enclosure directly underneath you with a dirt floor, not grass? That's a people pen. It does not limit the view of the savanna, but the animals can't get as close. It appears that these are exactly the rooms they reclassified - at least for DVC purposes. I think Disney still books those for the normal rooms as savanna view.

Anyway - whatever the room was classified at, it's great that you loved it!
.....*a-HEM* ....still waiting for those pix.....
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #3367
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,966

...blatant and shameless plug for my mini TR:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post46929576

...I especially was hoping that Laura and Grumpy would read it!
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3368
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!
 
TaraPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 16,156

Just back from a very very short trip & AKL was as gorgeous as ever at the holidays. We had cool temps & rain every day but The Lodge still warm & welcoming. We were only there 3 days (stayed at CSR this time) but visited AKL twice, and had breakfast at Boma both days. I'll get some pics up after all the unpacking & catching up with reality (it hits you even after only 3 days away!) Looking even more forward to our AKV stay in 3 months (let the countdown begin!)
__________________




AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #3369
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Just back from a very very short trip & AKL was as gorgeous as ever at the holidays. We had cool temps & rain every day but The Lodge still warm & welcoming. We were only there 3 days (stayed at CSR this time) but visited AKL twice, and had breakfast at Boma both days. I'll get some pics up after all the unpacking & catching up with reality (it hits you even after only 3 days away!) Looking even more forward to our AKV stay in 3 months (let the countdown begin!)
....KEWL! Can't wait!
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #3370
athenna
DIS Veteran

I've been waiting a long time for a new, really, cool tag..., but I was hit by a drive by tagging instead!
 
athenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On board w/Captain Turner
Posts: 5,473

I've been a terrible J & K lately Please forgive me

Only 68 more days to go until Jambo!
__________________

I got engaged 1/24/10 in Epcot
athenna is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #3371
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....
 
moopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,566

Kinda bummed.... The pool slide at AKL will be closed the whole time we are there & my kids were so psyched for it. It reopens the day we leave 2/9. I don't suppose there are TWO slides there??
__________________
Pennsylvania Family of 5
moopdog is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #3372
anjalee6
DIS Veteran
 
anjalee6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,870

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Kinda bummed.... The pool slide at AKL will be closed the whole time we are there & my kids were so psyched for it. It reopens the day we leave 2/9. I don't suppose there are TWO slides there??
No. But there is a slide over at Kidani that you can use. Just a short bus ride or walk.
__________________
Me DH DS DD
anjalee6 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #3373
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!
 
kimmar067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: "Exit 16W" of the Land of the Last!
Posts: 90,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Kinda bummed.... The pool slide at AKL will be closed the whole time we are there & my kids were so psyched for it. It reopens the day we leave 2/9. I don't suppose there are TWO slides there??
__________________
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #3374
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 48,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenna View Post
I've been a terrible J & K lately Please forgive me

Only 68 more days to go until Jambo!
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #3375
JUJU814
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,397

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Kinda bummed.... The pool slide at AKL will be closed the whole time we are there & my kids were so psyched for it. It reopens the day we leave 2/9. I don't suppose there are TWO slides there??
I'm so sorry!

Do you know when it starts it's closing? We will be there 12/28-1/5
JUJU814 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: