Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #2866
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso View Post
Jambo!

We are so excited to finally be able to stay at AKL this January! We ate at Sanaa last month and enjoyed everything - especially the Naan bread and dips. DD booked the room and requested savanna view - I have been reading through this thread and learning from everyone's expertise! Many thanks!! Just a couple of questions:

~ With a savanna view, should we request a specific trail or floor?
~ Jiko - has anyone tried the Wild Boar app? Is it spicy/hot or spicy with curry flavors? We are adventurous eaters but DH can't handle hot - sadly, if we walk into a Chipotle he begins to sweat!! Hopefully our server will rate the hot/spiciness factor for us; our Sanaa server was spot on in his descriptions.

TIA!
I had the delicious Wild Boar app a few weeks ago. It is spicy, BUT, just tell your server when you order what you said here, and that you'd like it prepared mild. They absolutely will do this for you.
I also highly recommend the Lake Victoria Perch. Not spicy, as I recall (you might ask), but wow, what a phenomenal dish. The tomato butter sauce served with it is a rare treat.
Another great, not spicy menu item was the Summer mushroom consumme. It may sound just OK, but I promise it will be one of the best soups you ever taste.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #2867
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto

The Jiko staff are amazing. Just let your server know about the spicy issue and they'll take care of you. The chef has come out to chat with us about ingredients several times. They want you to leave happy. I'm mostly a veggie so have no idea about that app.

I like to let the chips fall where they may regarding room location. It depends how close you want to be to the lobby and animals. Lower floors give a more initiate viewing, higher gives a more scenic one. They're all nice to me.
Thank you Pinkocto for your great advice! DD was concerned that being near zebras might be the same as being near horses but it appears there are few animal smells. We visit AKL almost every trip because it is so beautiful and viewing the savannas is a relaxing break from the parks. I'm sure we'll be fine with whichever room we receive.
Thanks for the Jiko info! We are looking forward to eating there, in fact, we have two ADRs there because DD won't know her work schedule until two weeks before we arrive! I was thrilled to be able to get them and may keep both of them if we may want to have a second dinner there...DD does not like buffets so no Boma for us .
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #2868
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you Pinkocto for your great advice! DD was concerned that being near zebras might be the same as being near horses but it appears there are few animal smells. We visit AKL almost every trip because it is so beautiful and viewing the savannas is a relaxing break from the parks. I'm sure we'll be fine with whichever room we receive.
Thanks for the Jiko info! We are looking forward to eating there, in fact, we have two ADRs there because DD won't know her work schedule until two weeks before we arrive! I was thrilled to be able to get them and may keep both of them if we may want to have a second dinner there...DD does not like buffets so no Boma for us .
Just a suggestion, hope popping in is ok...
If you keep both ressies, maybe put a request in to sit at the Cooking Place for one of them. Would you be a party of three or so? It might not work for many more than 4, it would depend on how busy Jiko was, probably.
It is really fun to sit there. You get to watch the chefs work at the Cooking place, they make pizzas, some apps and salads there. They are all really nice, and will chat with you now and then. They are also great for answering questions, giving recommendations.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2869
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne

I had the delicious Wild Boar app a few weeks ago. It is spicy, BUT, just tell your server when you order what you said here, and that you'd like it prepared mild. They absolutely will do this for you.
I also highly recommend the Lake Victoria Perch. Not spicy, as I recall (you might ask), but wow, what a phenomenal dish. The tomato butter sauce served with it is a rare treat.
Another great, not spicy menu item was the Summer mushroom consumme. It may sound just OK, but I promise it will be one of the best soups you ever taste.
Thank you Gwynne! These are great tips - I love Perch and that dish caught my eye when I took a look at the menu. I hope the Summer mushroom soup is on the menu in January!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #2870
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
If you keep both ressies, maybe put a request in to sit at the Cooking Place for one of them. Would you be a party of three or so? It might not work for many more than 4, it would depend on how busy Jiko was, probably.
It is really fun to sit there. You get to watch the chefs work at the Cooking place, they make pizzas, some apps and salads there. They are all really nice, and will chat with you now and then. They are also great for answering questions, giving recommendations.
That's sounds so cool! Yes, we will be a party of three unless DD invites a friend and that would be an amazing experience for us all! Would I have to put in a request well in advance or would a few days before be sufficient?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #2871
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Is the pool open 24/7? I realize that there aren't lifeguards 24/7 and that the slide is closed when there aren't lifeguards, but can people still swim outside of official hours? One thing we didn't like about our YC stay was that you couldn't even step into the main pool until 10am but we're real early birds.
First of alL Hi and welcome! I hope you will have a wonderful trip. I can help you with these two questions, I hope others will chime in with further answers.

When I stayed at AKL it was never a problem to use the pool outside of opening hours. I even went for swims before breakfast at 7am. There was someone cleaning the loungers one morning and I even asked whether it would be ok to swim and he was very friendly and told me to go and enjoy the water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
As I said, our priority in room location is to have the least walk possible when heading to the bus stops and pool and Mara. Is there anything I should specify as a room request? Floor doesn't matter since standing in an elevator for more floors doesn't make a difference and the view doesn't matter. I guess I don't know where the elevators are to know if I should be asking for near an elevator, near the lobby or something else in order to minimize the walk. Yes, those extra 20 steps matter when heading down half asleep to get my morning coffee. LOL!
When you look at this AKL map: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm You can see the elevators marked at the right hand side of the lobby and then in Zebra trail where it branches out (after the second pod). If you are on Zebra trail near that elevator, it is really not far at all to the Mara. So for being close to Mara, your best bet would be to request Zebra trail, close to elevator.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2872
nancyc
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I'll be staying at AKL in 3 weeks, so excited! It's our first time there, my DD loves animals so we can't wait! I've been reading lots of great info on this thread. Was wondering if the lobby has a spot that offers coffee in the morning? I realize the room will have a coffee maker, but thought I could get some GOOD, FRESH coffee. If not the lobby, does Mara carry good coffee or is it the Nescafe that's also served at the other resorts? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #2873
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's sounds so cool! Yes, we will be a party of three unless DD invites a friend and that would be an amazing experience for us all! Would I have to put in a request well in advance or would a few days before be sufficient?
I would add it to my reservation. (Same way folks add birthdays, anniversaries, that sort of thing.) Call WDW dining, and ask that they add a note to your Jiko dining reservation. "Our party would like to sit at the The Cooking Place, adjacent to the pizza ovens and salad area."

Just so you know-- It's nice, clean and it's so fun to watch amazing food being prepared. The "real" kitchen is back further in the restaurant, behind a wall. You will have a nice place setting, just like all the regular tables in the restaurant.
(you don't feel the heat of the ovens at all, but it's amazing to watch the pizzas and apps made there.)
Enjoy your visit to Jiko! We love that place. Can you tell?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2874
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Quote:
...great suggestions....THANKS!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2875
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne

I would add it to my reservation. (Same way folks add birthdays, anniversaries, that sort of thing.) Call WDW dining, and ask that they add a note to your Jiko dining reservation. "Our party would like to sit at the The Cooking Place, adjacent to the pizza ovens and salad area."

Just so you know-- It's nice, clean and it's so fun to watch amazing food being prepared. The "real" kitchen is back further in the restaurant, behind a wall. You will have a nice place setting, just like all the regular tables in the restaurant.
(you don't feel the heat of the ovens at all, but it's amazing to watch the pizzas and apps made there.)
Enjoy your visit to Jiko! We love that place. Can you tell?
Thanks again! Such great info!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #2876
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyc View Post
Hi all! I'll be staying at AKL in 3 weeks, so excited! It's our first time there, my DD loves animals so we can't wait! I've been reading lots of great info on this thread. Was wondering if the lobby has a spot that offers coffee in the morning? I realize the room will have a coffee maker, but thought I could get some GOOD, FRESH coffee. If not the lobby, does Mara carry good coffee or is it the Nescafe that's also served at the other resorts? Thanks for the help!
No coffee in the lobby. Mara serves Nescafe.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #2877
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
No coffee in the lobby. Mara serves Nescafe.
....yes, but you can get a pressed pot of Kenyan coffee from Boma.....OUTRAGEOUS!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #2878
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067

....yes, but you can get a pressed pot of Kenyan coffee from Boma.....OUTRAGEOUS!
Thank god. Always super relieved when I see the french press hit the table.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #2879
nancyc
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. I've got a breakfast adr at Boma one of the days we're there, I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2880
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyc View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've got a breakfast adr at Boma one of the days we're there, I'll be looking forward to it.
....you'll enjoy THAT...
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: