Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #2626
benniecooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniecooper View Post
Hi all. DH & I check into AKL on 10/13. I plan to do online check in on 10/03. We have never stayed at AKL and was hoping for some room request suggestions. We are booked in a 'Pool View' room. I wanted Savannah, but I just don't want to swing the extra dollars for that right now. It's just DH & I for our 6th anniversary and I'd just like a nice room with a decent location. We don't mind to walk some and will be using the buses. So what location would be good to request?
Please help...online check is tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #2627
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Hi all. DH & I check into AKL on 10/13. I plan to do online check in on 10/03. We have never stayed at AKL and was hoping for some room request suggestions. We are booked in a 'Pool View' room. I wanted Savannah, but I just don't want to swing the extra dollars for that right now. It's just DH & I for our 6th anniversary and I'd just like a nice room with a decent location. We don't mind to walk some and will be using the buses. So what location would be good to request?
We've never stayed in a pool view room. My only suggestion would be to request a higher floor.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #2628
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
We've never stayed in a pool view room. My only suggestion would be to request a higher floor.
I wanted to add that I had a "pool view" room at AKL last May that was actually a dense tree view, with a teensy view of the pool between the leaves. I didn't ask to change only because the location was very good, reasonably convenient to the lobby and the elevators to the pool were right around the corner. (It was on the 3rd floor? I think?)

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #2629
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
I stayed in a pool view room twice. My recommendation would be to request 4th floor, Zebra trail, which is where we stayed and loved it.

The pool has lots of trees around and from the 4th floor you are most likely to get an unobstructed view. Of course, 3rd floor would be nice as well as that would put you on the same level as the lobby.

Zebra trail means that you are in one of the rooms that are on the right side of the U-shape which you can see on the resort map. Here the advantage is that when walking to the room you pass windows from where you can see the savanna in the middle of the U, so it's easy to get a daily dose of animal viewing. Also there is an elevator in the corner where the first branch starts and with that it is very easy to get down to the pool and Mara, the CS restaurant.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #2630
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Please help...online check is tomorrow.
I'd suggest Giraffe Trail, upper floor. It's a shorter trail, so not as long of a walk to the lobby/restaurants. The bus stops are pretty much right outside (you can take the elevators down, turn, and head out a door without ever having to enter the lobby). And the upper floor request will keep you above the pool hub-ub (though, with the sliders closed....you don't notice much noise even on the lower levels).

http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/AKL.pdf

Zebra trail is also nice, though for different reasons. You get a look at the Arusha savanna on your walk to your room..which is nice.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2631
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
I wanted to add that I had a "pool view" room at AKL last May that was actually a dense tree view, with a teensy view of the pool between the leaves. I didn't ask to change only because the location was very good, reasonably convenient to the lobby and the elevators to the pool were right around the corner. (It was on the 3rd floor? I think?)
....that'd be the main/lobby floor....we were on that floor too and, yes, it was very convenient...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #2632
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I'd suggest Giraffe Trail, upper floor. It's a shorter trail, so not as long of a walk to the lobby/restaurants. The bus stops are pretty much right outside (you can take the elevators down, turn, and head out a door without ever having to enter the lobby). And the upper floor request will keep you above the pool hub-ub (though, with the sliders closed....you don't notice much noise even on the lower levels).

http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/AKL.pdf

Zebra trail is also nice, though for different reasons. You get a look at the Arusha savanna on your walk to your room..which is nice.
....I agree - we were in the room over (actually one room to the left) the health club....no noise really wafted up into our room, especially when the sliding doors are closed!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #2633
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypooh View Post

*** Brandi - you can add prodri1 to the list - Feb. 11-17 -- cause HE WILL be there one way or the other......... lol
Quote:

Brandi, when you get back from your sweet trip, add me to Feb. PLEASE!!! the 9-14th at BLT, then the 14 - 17th at Kidani!!!! Thanks sweetie!!
You have been updated...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #2634
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We like zebra trail better than giraffe. Although giraffe is closer to the bus stops and is relatively short we didn't like being so close to the health club and to the hot tub and smoking area. When we were last there it was a hotspot for conversations late at night which were quite loud....not to mention the smoke which made sitting outside virtually impossible. We actually asked to move rooms that night. We have stayed zebra many times and like it much better. We prefer the third floor, but have also had 4th and 1st floors and all were good for different reasons.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #2635
benniecooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
We like zebra trail better than giraffe. Although giraffe is closer to the bus stops and is relatively short we didn't like being so close to the health club and to the hot tub and smoking area. When we were last there it was a hotspot for conversations late at night which were quite loud....not to mention the smoke which made sitting outside virtually impossible. We actually asked to move rooms that night. We have stayed zebra many times and like it much better. We prefer the third floor, but have also had 4th and 1st floors and all were good for different reasons.
Very nice. Thank you. I was thinking we might like the zebra trail. We're both in our mid 30's & don't have kids, so walking is not really an issue. I would like to be somewhere we can see animals easily as we are huge animal lovers. I can't stand cig smoke so thanks for that tip.

Looks like I am requesting zebra trail, third floor. Thanks everyone for your opinions & help.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #2636
wendypooh
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Cajun Tinkerbell Princess
Tag Toggler
Loves kissing Tag Fairy butt ;)

Quote:
Very nice. Thank you. I was thinking we might like the zebra trail. We're both in our mid 30's & don't have kids, so walking is not really an issue. I would like to be somewhere we can see animals easily as we are huge animal lovers. I can't stand cig smoke so thanks for that tip.

Looks like I am requesting zebra trail, third floor. Thanks everyone for your opinions & help.
I did reply as well to your post, a page back - However, after seeing this post, I just want to make sure you know that with a POOL view room, no matter what trail you are on..........you probably wont see animals from your room.

Don't fret though, there are TONS of viewing area's all over the resort!!!

** Here is the map Pilferk provided in his post to you - you'll see the layout. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13492195186951
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2637
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Ok Brandi, I've got another date for our trip...

It's still not written in stone, so you don't have to change me on this list unless you just want to.

Now we're Jan 20-28.

We'll see...

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #2638
benniecooper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I did reply as well to your post, a page back - However, after seeing this post, I just want to make sure you know that with a POOL view room, no matter what trail you are on..........you probably wont see animals from your room.

Don't fret though, there are TONS of viewing area's all over the resort!!!

** Here is the map Pilferk provided in his post to you - you'll see the layout. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13492195186951
Oh yes, I did see your reply...I appreciate it. I totally understand pool view rooms don't have animal views, I understand the savannah & arusha view, I am just too cheap to pay for them. I just thought that by requesting a zebra trail room, we'd be closer to the viewing areas. I think we would rather be closer to the viewing areas than the restaurants & bus stops.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #2639
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
Ok Brandi, I've got another date for our trip...

It's still not written in stone, so you don't have to change me on this list unless you just want to.

Now we're Jan 20-28.

We'll see...

Darn! You leave the day we arrive at Universal!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #2640
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj

Darn! You leave the day we arrive at Universal!
Nooooooooo.....
But our dates are ever changing, so you never know!

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: