Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #1561
Mississippianna
Still loving Disney World like a 6-year-old

I'm sure y'all probably get this question a lot, and I swear I did a search first ... but can I expect a pool view room to be very noisy? I'm just not sure savannah view is in the budget, but I'm worried about pool noise with the pool view category. Our room at BC last year faced the pool and there were a couple of nights with some loud music, so I'm concerned.

Any advice on a quiet location request? Giraffe Trail looks most appealing to me just from looking at the map. I just know that we want to be close to the lobby!

Do all king rooms have a day bed?

DH and I stayed here on Kudu Trail back in 2006 and absolutely loved it. We're hoping to get back there with DD5 this October. She absolutely loves animals.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #1562
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippianna View Post
I'm sure y'all probably get this question a lot, and I swear I did a search first ... but can I expect a pool view room to be very noisy? I'm just not sure savannah view is in the budget, but I'm worried about pool noise with the pool view category. Our room at BC last year faced the pool and there were a couple of nights with some loud music, so I'm concerned.
The lower floor rooms (closest to the pool) can be quite noisy. The upper floor rooms, surrounding the pool...you don't notice as much.

That being said: The sliders are pretty good at keeping out the noise, no matter what level the rooms are on.

Quote:
Any advice on a quiet location request? Giraffe Trail looks most appealing to me just from looking at the map. I just know that we want to be close to the lobby!
Giraffe trail, upper floor, would be my request.

Quote:
Do all king rooms have a day bed?
Can't help, there. The only King room we've ever stayed in at AKL was a Deluxe (which don't exist any more) and it had a daybed. Wish I could help more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #1563
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypooh View Post
Afternoon J's & K's - hope everyone is well.

Well, we're all battoned down and pretty much ready to go......... I hope Isaac fizzles, but not gonna hold my breath. My hope is that for us at least, that it doesn't move anymore to the west - that'll be BAD for us - basically we'd be on the "wrong" side - like Gustav - yeah, that's the one where we lost the roof to our house!!! I didn't sleep at all last night, for some reason, I'm worried about this storm. Anyway, I hope anyone else in it's path stays safe. I just feel horrible today, stressed and a migraine and just waiting........... lol -- and my ex mother in law passed about 15 min. ago - she was a lovely person who was always good to me. Sad day!!
I'm so sorry Wendy - sending losts of hugs to you.

Hope you also stay safe and the storm stays away from you!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR* *Oct 2014 Trip AKVJ, BLT, AKVJ*
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #1564
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
Wendy,

Lots of prayers going out to you and those in the path of Isaac. I'm so sorry about your ex-MIL. Stay strong, dear friend. We are all here for you.

It rained here in WDW last night and this morning, but things have been fine since around 11am. Not the prettiest of days, but great park weather!
Was hoping you'd get some sun on this trip and be able to get out and about!
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR* *Oct 2014 Trip AKVJ, BLT, AKVJ*
Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #1565
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Just thought of something. My mom will be in an ECV. I know there are stairs that go from the lobby out to Arusha Rock. How about an elevator for people that are in ECVs? Where?
There is an elevator after the 2nd pod of rooms in Zebra Trail and also the same on Kudu trail. The lowest level is "Level 2" and then your mom can take the ECV down the hall and out the doors to Arusha Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....I know that there is an elevator on Zebra Trail - not sure if it goes down to the 'Arusha Rock level'; somehow I'm thinking that it does....
You are correct. It does and just to make sure, I went over there myself today and checked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Have a great time!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
Have fun today! I would love more of your photo texts for the "Where in the World is Laura?" portion of your trip!
The problem is I have to know where in the world Laura is in order to ask you to guess!!!

Quote:
....hmmmm, I must say that I am a bit stumped. Of all the times I've stayed/visited AKL I don't EVER remember a parade , but mebbe that's just me....there are so many nice activities on property - they are usually posted on a board. You and your DD MAY feel a bit too old to participate in the activities that enables you to win a 'bead' to make a bracelet, but two of my fave things are the flamingo feedings at the far end of the pool and the night-vision goggles....there is also African story-telling by Arusha Rock in the evenings by the fire pit....
Primal Parade. You were probably out enjoying the adult nightlife, Kimmar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Good Morning All

Laura, have fun and try to stay dry!

Wendy, prayers and pixidust coming your way, stay safe.
Too bad I didn't read this till I got back to my room, drenched!! Darn storm came out of nowhere! We are currently in a rain delay, but things are improving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Was hoping you'd get some sun on this trip and be able to get out and about!
When the sun was out earlier, the heat and humidity were awful. It's been one of those days!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #1566
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
There is an elevator after the 2nd pod of rooms in Zebra Trail and also the same on Kudu trail. The lowest level is "Level 2" and then your mom can take the ECV down the hall and out the doors to Arusha Rock!

You are correct. It does and just to make sure, I went over there myself today and checked!

Thanks!

The problem is I have to know where in the world Laura is in order to ask you to guess!!!

Primal Parade. You were probably out enjoying the adult nightlife, Kimmar!

Too bad I didn't read this till I got back to my room, drenched!! Darn storm came out of nowhere! We are currently in a rain delay, but things are improving!

When the sun was out earlier, the heat and humidity were awful. It's been one of those days!
Rain delays can be fun too.... Just make the most out of it!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #1567
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
....hmmmm, I must say that I am a bit stumped. Of all the times I've stayed/visited AKL I don't EVER remember a parade , but mebbe that's just me....there are so many nice activities on property - they are usually posted on a board. You and your DD MAY feel a bit too old to participate in the activities that enables you to win a 'bead' to make a bracelet, but two of my fave things are the flamingo feedings at the far end of the pool and the night-vision goggles....there is also African story-telling by Arusha Rock in the evenings by the fire pit....
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #1568
myjourney
DIS Veteran

DVC 2 bdr

Has anyone stayed in an AKL Jambo House DVC 2bdr value. Where are they located, not sure there is much difference between value and standard?

Dec 2014 Fort Wilderness 8 nights
Oct 2014 Fort Wilderness 14 nights
Oct 2013 Fort Wilderness 9 nights
May 2013 4 nights AKL, 5 nights at POR (love Yeeha Bob!)
May 2012 5 nights AKL, 3 nights BCV, and 4 nights SSR TH
March 2011 SSR and POR
October 2010 CSR
May 2010 Kidani Village and Saratoga Spring Resort
Oct 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs Resort
June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #1569
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
They used to do (not sure if they still do) a cultural parade that starts in Zawadi and ends up outside Boma. It winds it's way through the lobby and down the stairs.

They do a similar parade, later at night, at Kidani.

When you check in, there will be a whole "menu" of activities you can get at the front desk. Some of our favorites are the bracelets, making ornaments, and the movies at the pool. But there is TONS of stuff to do around the resort.

Here's a sample newsletter...but activities change frequently:
SWEET. That's MOST excellent. I will be sure to get this paper when we arrive. Not that we'll have THAT much free time, but just in case ....

Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1570
Mississippianna
Still loving Disney World like a 6-year-old

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
The lower floor rooms (closest to the pool) can be quite noisy. The upper floor rooms, surrounding the pool...you don't notice as much.

That being said: The sliders are pretty good at keeping out the noise, no matter what level the rooms are on.

Giraffe trail, upper floor, would be my request.

Can't help, there. The only King room we've ever stayed in at AKL was a Deluxe (which don't exist any more) and it had a daybed. Wish I could help more.
Thank you! We're just going to go ahead and book that pool view and hope for the best. The price difference versus Savannah view is staggering. I think we will still enjoy AKL even if we have to go for a short walk to see the animals.

Any tips on the best place to take carryout from Mara and watch the animals while we eat dinner? Are there tables at any of the Savannah overlooks?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #1571
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Any tips on the best place to take carryout from Mara and watch the animals while we eat dinner? Are there tables at any of the Savannah overlooks?
I don't recall any tables, near any overlooks (which, come to think of it, might be by design...they don't want food getting to the animals). That being said, there's a couple of spots near the pool...close to Uzima savannah...that you could set up in (I think there are beach chairs near by).

There's also some rocking chairs up on the overlooks off of the lobby.

You could set up in the Sunset Lounge (which doesn't have an actual overlook..but has a door that leads out to a nice overlook). That place is usually pretty empty.

Typically...we eat at/in The Mara..and then walk it off by walking around the resort to check out the various overlooks.

Last edited by pilferk; 08-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #1572
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
I'm sure y'all probably get this question a lot, and I swear I did a search first ... but can I expect a pool view room to be very noisy?.....
....honestly, I really didn't hear too much noise when we were in a pool-view room (3rd floor, directly over the Fitness Center), but we weren't in the room for too long and, at the end of a fun-filled exhausting day, we slept pretty soundly.....but that's us.
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #1573
kimmar067

Quote:

....can you say 'pour. salt. in. wound.' ??
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #1574
kimmar067

Quote:
Thank you! We're just going to go ahead and book that pool view and hope for the best. The price difference versus Savannah view is staggering. I think we will still enjoy AKL even if we have to go for a short walk to see the animals.

.....there really aren't any tables set up, with the exception of a few just outside the Mara door, near the kiddie pool. If you want that kind of experience, make ADR's for Sanaa....
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #1575
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Rain delays can be fun too.... Just make the most out of it!
I did! 5 words: Cabana Bar and Beach Club!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: