Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #1546
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
It's a cute tag!
Thanks! I figure if we're destined to be Boo Boo's I can live with this one!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #1547
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
Sorry for the losses I have been reading about in this thread! I hope everyone stays safe from Isaac too!

We just switched to AKL standard room yesterday from a moderate and I'm second guessing myself. I love, love, loved Kidani last year and this year wanted to stay somewhere new (going the Jambo House counts right??) and really felt like AKL is the only resort that truely feels like you have been transported somewhere far away. We are taking my MIL on her first and likely only trip so even though it was a stretch financially (we are heading down for 10 days in less than 3 weeks so this was an extra unplanned/unbudgeted trip this year) I really wanted her to experience AKL.

Now I'm wondering if we should switch back to a Mod since we can't afford the Savannah view. We had one at Kidani and waking up in the morning to the sounds of zebras playing was truly the highlight of our trip. If we stick with a standard, is there a certain area I should request that would be close to the Mara and close to the valet/main entrance? I found a map and it looked like unless I pay for a pool view and request Zebra trail that isn't really possible?

Thanks!
Congratulations on booking Jambo house and yes, it certainly counts as a new resort for you. How wonderful of you to bring your MIL on this trip. I am sure she will fall in love with AKL. So your trip is next month and you have booked a standard room if I am reading this correctly. Zebra trail is what I would request and see if you are pixie dusted with a great room. The problem with Giraffe & Ostrich Trail standard rooms is they face the front drive and bus stop. They would be close to valet/main entrance but not great for view or I would imagine a quite room. There are many lookouts around the resort that have wonderful views of the animals and savannahs. I am thinking you are concerned with the walking distance of things in the resort for your MIL. Is that a possible problem?
I will send you a PM in a little while, I am fixing dinner while writing this. Check you PM's later.

Ann
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #1548
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
We just switched to AKL standard room yesterday from a moderate and I'm second guessing myself. I love, love, loved Kidani last year and this year wanted to stay somewhere new (going the Jambo House counts right??) and really felt like AKL is the only resort that truely feels like you have been transported somewhere far away. We are taking my MIL on her first and likely only trip so even though it was a stretch financially (we are heading down for 10 days in less than 3 weeks so this was an extra unplanned/unbudgeted trip this year) I really wanted her to experience AKL.

Now I'm wondering if we should switch back to a Mod since we can't afford the Savannah view. We had one at Kidani and waking up in the morning to the sounds of zebras playing was truly the highlight of our trip. If we stick with a standard, is there a certain area I should request that would be close to the Mara and close to the valet/main entrance? I found a map and it looked like unless I pay for a pool view and request Zebra trail that isn't really possible?

Thanks!
My mom will turn 79 y/o Sept 10th. We are leaving this Saturday for AKL (Yay, just four more days). I booked us a pool view room. It is only $10.00 more a night than a standard and you are guaranteed to not be facing a parking lot. I was in a pool view room on the Giraffe trail a couple of years ago and loved how close we were to the restaurants and buses. I've had a Arusha savanna view and felt like it was a mile to the lobby.

Last edited by aubriee; 08-28-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #1549
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Just thought of something. My mom will be in an ECV. I know there are stairs that go from the lobby out to Arusha Rock. How about an elevator for people that are in ECVs? Where?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #1550
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Good morning Js & Ks from WDW!!

I am heading to MK this morning! I think the rains from Isaac are gone. Now we're just expecting the normal Florida rains!

Weatherman on WFTV just said "it's very muggy outside...... about as muggy as it can get"

Wishing y'all a great day!

Stay safe, Wendy. Prayers that Isaac fizzles.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #1551
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

I am heading to MK this morning! I think the rains from Isaac are gone. Now we're just expecting the normal Florida rains!

Weatherman on WFTV just said "it's very muggy outside...... about as muggy as it can get"

Have a great time!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #1552
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Thanks! I figure if we're destined to be Boo Boo's I can live with this one!
.....well, it IS a lot shorter than, sayyyyy, 'When-are-we-ever-gonna-visit-WDW Boo-Boo'.....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1553
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Just thought of something. My mom will be in an ECV. I know there are stairs that go from the lobby out to Arusha Rock. How about an elevator for people that are in ECVs? Where?
....I know that there is an elevator on Zebra Trail - not sure if it goes down to the 'Arusha Rock level'; somehow I'm thinking that it does....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #1554
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypooh View Post
Afternoon J's & K's - hope everyone is well.

Well, we're all battoned down and pretty much ready to go......... I hope Isaac fizzles, but not gonna hold my breath. My hope is that for us at least, that it doesn't move anymore to the west - that'll be BAD for us - basically we'd be on the "wrong" side - like Gustav - yeah, that's the one where we lost the roof to our house!!! I didn't sleep at all last night, for some reason, I'm worried about this storm. Anyway, I hope anyone else in it's path stays safe. I just feel horrible today, stressed and a migraine and just waiting........... lol -- and my ex mother in law passed about 15 min. ago - she was a lovely person who was always good to me. Sad day!!
Wendy - You and all my other NOLA DIS friends have been on my mind so much. I had trouble sleeping last night thinking about y'all so I can only imagine how worried you are. Please stay safe and we will continue to hope Isaac changes his mind or his strength.

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #1555
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

I need any and all "pointers" you AKL folks can give me. This will be my first time staying at AKL -- we will be at Jambo House with my brother's DVC points. It will be myself and my DD18. I read about the parade in the lobby - sounds like fun to watch. What else (other than the Zebra Domes) is a must-do (or see) while there?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #1556
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

Have fun today! I would love more of your photo texts for the "Where in the World is Laura?" portion of your trip!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #1557
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Good morning, Js & Ks!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #1558
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilivetogo View Post
I need any and all "pointers" you AKL folks can give me. This will be my first time staying at AKL -- we will be at Jambo House with my brother's DVC points. It will be myself and my DD18. I read about the parade in the lobby - sounds like fun to watch. What else (other than the Zebra Domes) is a must-do (or see) while there?

....hmmmm, I must say that I am a bit stumped. Of all the times I've stayed/visited AKL I don't EVER remember a parade , but mebbe that's just me....there are so many nice activities on property - they are usually posted on a board. You and your DD MAY feel a bit too old to participate in the activities that enables you to win a 'bead' to make a bracelet, but two of my fave things are the flamingo feedings at the far end of the pool and the night-vision goggles....there is also African story-telling by Arusha Rock in the evenings by the fire pit....
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #1559
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilivetogo View Post
They used to do (not sure if they still do) a cultural parade that starts in Zawadi and ends up outside Boma. It winds it's way through the lobby and down the stairs.

They do a similar parade, later at night, at Kidani.

When you check in, there will be a whole "menu" of activities you can get at the front desk. Some of our favorites are the bracelets, making ornaments, and the movies at the pool. But there is TONS of stuff to do around the resort.

Here's a sample newsletter...but activities change frequently:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #1560
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Good Morning All

Laura, have fun and try to stay dry!

Wendy, prayers and pixidust coming your way, stay safe.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: