Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerInDisney View Post
Well since I pretty much stalked all of your other trip reports I thought I would join in on this one Can't wait for the updates!!
Welcome!! I am so glad you have come out of stalkdom and are joining in!!! Hopefully an update is coming very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDisneyMom View Post
We were there the same week you were, and also staying at POFQ! Can't wait to read your report (and maybe see if we pop up in the background of any of your photos)!
Welcome!! That is so awesome you were there at the same time!! I took thousands of POFQ pics!! You may get bored with those or else feel like you're back "home"!! I'm trying to recall how many I have people in... I'll also be interested in your take on the buses!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Departure Day!!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

For weeks Keith and I had been discussing the trip and “plans”. I had informed him many times that we were to leave by 4:30am! He would tell me 8am and I would inform him NO! 4:30am. If he isn't ready at 4:30 then we will just see him in Orlando!! Well guess what time we left? Yep, 4:30am!!

The trip was set for July 7-14 but not originally. Originally we were to go July 15-20. Many changes to the trip occurred over a three month period that resulted in a longer stay and moving the trip up a week and at one point we thought it would not happen but in the end all was good!. Madison’s high school soccer team had mandatory soccer camp and we found out the dates after the trip was reserved. After much discussion we chose to move it up one week and the people at Disney were awesome!!

We were utilizing the Disney military salute tickets and room discounts. Our original week had only one resort available: Caribbean Beach. Keith wanted Port Orleans due to the boat to DTD but this wasn’t in the cards. That is until I called to see about moving the trip up a week and decided to inquire on the availability of Port Orleans. They had availability at POFQ with a Garden View! Score! I was excited because I knew Keith would be happy.

Oh, and here is a picture of our tickets…I am glad I took this picture because these disappear mid-week!

Well, let’s get back to departure day! It is 4am and we are loading the car trunk in the dark (well by the light of the carport) when guess who pulls up?! A policeman! He was just checking to be sure that the loading of the car was legit, wished us a happy and safe vacation and went on his way! This made us feel very safe to know that we are being watched! At least if the bad guys came hopefully the police would be there….I hope anyway!!

We are on the road by 4:40am. This time suits me perfectly! I just want to be in Orlando by 5pm!

A full moon was beginning to call it a night (or day???)!

We head south and decide we want to go a different route. We do not care for HWY 98 once we cross into Alabama (going through Wilmer and Semmes). We always get stuck behind someone on the two-lane portion and we really just felt like seeing something a little different. Our GPS did not like this change of events and tried redirecting us for miles and miles!! Somewhere around Laurel, MS, the sun begins to rise….

As we got to Waynesville, MS we made a discovery (not like we didn’t know this but it struck us) that there is a lot of non-utilized land! We were in some rural areas and it was nice not to see concrete and buildings everywhere!

Our little detour didn’t take much longer and it was an added adventure to our vacation!

We eventually begin our journey towards Mobile and soon we are headed west in I-10!

The tunnel!!

A sleepy Madison is excited regardless of the hour! (It is 8am by this time)

We get through the tunnel and pass the USS Alabama:

This is the stretch that we spend the majority of our travel! We ride and ride and ride and then we finally are going through the toll booths! Our hotel for the night was in Kissimmee and had I known that I would take $9 to go through the tolls I would have rented a horse and buggy!! Tolls are ridiculous!! I’ll avoid that soap box though….

Finally we get to the hotel and vow to not venture on that stretch again!

Our hotel for the night may look familiar to those that read my TR from March.

Only the hotel is no longer Clarion Maingate but now Comfort Inn Maingate. I liked it in March and for a one night stay I felt it would be perfect…plus I got a great deal on the room charge!! A few pictures of the room:

Our view isn't as cool as I had in March (of the four parks) since we were on the opposite side but it was still fine:

The bedding is slightly different with the hotel change but overall the hotel is no different. We relax and nap briefly and then we get ready for our first ADR! We are headed to the Beach Club Resort!! Which begins what you guys are really reading for right!?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I don't know what it is but I love going through the tunnel in Mobile anytime we go to Florida. It's just so fun!

The hotel for the night looks very nice!

I can't wait to hear about the 1st ADR of the trip.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #19
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Yay! You're almost there!!

My GPS takes it really personally when I choose a route different from the one he chooses. I call him Richard because I can give him an inappropriate nickname when he makes me mad

Of course you got your way! Keith may not love Disney, but he's not stupid!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #20
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Tagging along on your journey!! Coming from central TX, getting to the tunnel is a great feeling!!

I am glad you showed a picture of the military tickets! Our Sept. trip just took a big change today, when we decided to enroll my older grandson, (7), in a YES class and bought 8 day YES hoppers, instead of 4 day military tickets.

Looking forward to more!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Saturday, July 7, 2012Well, let’s get back to departure day! It is 4am and we are loading the car trunk in the dark (well by the light of the carport) when guess who pulls up?! A policeman! He was just checking to be sure that the loading of the car was legit, wished us a happy and safe vacation and went on his way! This made us feel very safe to know that we are being watched! At least if the bad guys came hopefully the police would be there….I hope anyway!!
I love this Tinks! Only in Mississippi, right? Yes fellow DISboarders...this really happens in our State!

Quote:
Somewhere around Laurel, MS, the sun begins to rise….

As we got to Waynesville, MS
I see how it is...I called you on not stopping in to say hello when you went to the coast so now you go around me!

Quote:
We ride and ride and ride and then we finally are going through the toll booths! Our hotel for the night was in Kissimmee and had I known that I would take $9 to go through the tolls I would have rented a horse and buggy!! Tolls are ridiculous!! I’ll avoid that soap box though….
Hmmmm...this diatribe sounds awfully familiar...can't help but admire a person with my own malice to toll booths!

Great start Tinks...looking forward to more!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I don't know what it is but I love going through the tunnel in Mobile anytime we go to Florida. It's just so fun!

The hotel for the night looks very nice!

I can't wait to hear about the 1st ADR of the trip.
I know what you mean about that tunnel!! I have gone through it my whoel life and I still find myself trying to see if I can hold my breath through the entire length!

That hotel is really nice and in a decent area. It was a good price too....around $70 for the night which helped us meet our budget better!

The 1st ADR review should be coming soon! I am ready to get the real part of Disney going!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Yay! You're almost there!!

My GPS takes it really personally when I choose a route different from the one he chooses. I call him Richard because I can give him an inappropriate nickname when he makes me mad

Of course you got your way! Keith may not love Disney, but he's not stupid!
My GPS is a female so we named her Lola....not sure why, it just popped out one day: "I know where I am going LOLA!!" The name stuck! My GPS gets pretty offended too when I don't listen to her!

I think Keith is beginning to catch on! Plus my reasons for a nap prior to dinner made huge strides in him seeing it MY way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Tagging along on your journey!! Coming from central TX, getting to the tunnel is a great feeling!!

I am glad you showed a picture of the military tickets! Our Sept. trip just took a big change today, when we decided to enroll my older grandson, (7), in a YES class and bought 8 day YES hoppers, instead of 4 day military tickets.

Looking forward to more!
I am so glad you are coming along for the ride! That picture turned out to be my "bad" one once I looked at it but you definitely got the idea of what they looked like! Almost all of those pictures were taken with my phone and not my regular camera.

I have heard great things about the YES program! That should be a great experience! I just love going through the tunnel. It some how really makes me feel like my vacation has really begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
I love this Tinks! Only in Mississippi, right? Yes fellow DISboarders...this really happens in our State!

Isn't it great!? He came by once (we live at the end of a cul-de-sac) and turned in the circle. Then a few minutes later he came back...my thought was "Oh no what is going on....I am trying to get to Disney people!!!"

I see how it is...I called you on not stopping in to say hello when you went to the coast so now you go around me!

That was funny! The change was Keith's decision so I can claim innocence on ths one!!

Hmmmm...this diatribe sounds awfully familiar...can't help but admire a person with my own malice to toll booths!

Great start Tinks...looking forward to more!
I know!!! The whole time we kept handing over more and more money I kept thinking about your thoughts! And hen I wrote that I knew you would catch on! They keep talking about making the roads through Jackson toll (mainly because everyone is smart and leaving so no tax base to fix the roads) but for me that would mean a daily dose of tolls!!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Yay! You left on time! I think I know the "different" route that you took through part of Mississippi. We have friends who went that way and said that it was a better route. But, we are stuck in a rut kinda family and stick with what we know and go the route that ya'll avoided this time.

So, did you honk the horn in the tunnel? You know you gotta honk the horn right?

We don't like the toll roads and avoid them at all costs. The only reason we took the toll this trip was because we were on our way to Port Canaveral and it couldn't be avoided.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #24
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Yay! You left on time! I think I know the "different" route that you took through part of Mississippi. We have friends who went that way and said that it was a better route. But, we are stuck in a rut kinda family and stick with what we know and go the route that ya'll avoided this time.

So, did you honk the horn in the tunnel? You know you gotta honk the horn right?

We don't like the toll roads and avoid them at all costs. The only reason we took the toll this trip was because we were on our way to Port Canaveral and it couldn't be avoided.
Of course we honked!! It's bad luck not to...right!?!?!

We are usually stuck in the rut kind of family too. I was surprised Keith began looking into the different route so intently and it was a last minute decision when we got to the exit!

Those tolls are terrible. We have never been where it cost us so much so I am wondering if the tolls went up or if it was the route to Kissimmee. Next time I plan to map things out better!!

Sorry I have disappeared....hope to update soon!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Great start! It's always a good sign when you actually leave on time. Going through the tunnel for you is the same way I feel when we get south of Indianapolis (although we haven't driven since 2008!) Isn't it funny how often the hotels around Orlando change their name? Glad you didn't notice any big differences negatively at least! Can't wait to hear about your dinner at BC. We did the character breakfast there in 2011 (we were staying there) and LOVED it!!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Subscribed and joining in! We are staying at POFQ in just over two months, so I am excited to hear more!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
patches07
DIS Veteran

Subscribed and joining in.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Great start! It's always a good sign when you actually leave on time. Going through the tunnel for you is the same way I feel when we get south of Indianapolis (although we haven't driven since 2008!) Isn't it funny how often the hotels around Orlando change their name? Glad you didn't notice any big differences negatively at least! Can't wait to hear about your dinner at BC. We did the character breakfast there in 2011 (we were staying there) and LOVED it!!
When I am on road trips, I have found having those "markers" makes things so much better at least while going! When I am coming home we tend to say "This time last week we were...."!

These two hotels are both Choice Hotels too so it does amaze me why they either switch owners hands or simply change their names so much!

Hopefully you will hear my thughts very soon....I hope to post tonight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachVH View Post
Subscribed and joining in! We are staying at POFQ in just over two months, so I am excited to hear more!
I am so glad you are joining in!!! Is this your first stay at POFQ? We love it there! I have a bizillion pictures so be prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches07 View Post
Subscribed and joining in.
So glad you are joining in!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Opionions anyone?? A "What if?" Game!!

Let's play a "what if" game!!

Let's say you have 5 dining credits and 4 are taken (Hoop Dee Doo, Biergarten, and San Angel Inn) and the 5th was to be Ohana but the times are ridiculously late.....Last meal of your trip....Important factors are atmosphere is unique and food isn't that dainty little barely fills your plate stuff!

What would you chose from the following and why?

A. The Wave
B. Whispering Canyon Cafe
C. Coral Reef
D. The Grand Floridian Cafe
E. House of Blues
F. Rose and Crown

EDIT : This would be a couple dinner!!

Don't hold back!!!

Last edited by TinksThree; 07-25-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Mousemom234
Mouseketeer

Suscribed, and happily wandering my way along.
Love reading TRs. I like to see WDW from other people's perspective.
I'm going to try to put one together for next month's trip.

Quote:
These two hotels are both Choice Hotels too so it does amaze me why they either switch owners hands or simply change their names so much!
They sort of just swapped titles - the Clarion is now over on Palm Parkway, just north of the DTD Gate, and that used to be the Comfort Inn LBV. Stayed in both, and liked them.
I believe they swapped names because the Clarion name is perceived as more upscale, and the Palm Pkwy one does have more on-site options, and more of a 'resort' feel than the 192 one.

Me -----------DH --------- & ------
1987 Disney Inn... 1989 Poly... 1991 Port Orleans...
...Offsite x5... CBR... Disney Institute... CSR... OKW... POP... CBR...
2009 CSR... August 2012 ASMu....April 2014 Offsite(HI MGE)
Next : Unknown

2003-5 WDW Great Races

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: