Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #196
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post...

The cornbread is good…the salad is good…basically a garden salad. We are ready for the show to begin!!!

After some great entertainment, the “real food” comes out: BBQ ribs, fried chicken, cowboy (baked) beans, corn and mashed potatoes.

Verdict? I have heard lots of complaints about the quality of the food. I have not had this type of food from other parts of the country (for the most part) but in my opinion, the food at HDDR is about the same that I would find at any basic “home cooking” buffet around here in the south.

BBQ ribs: I am picky on these. It needs MEAT on those bones and both last year and this year the meat fell off the bone…another huge plus for me since I hate gnawing a bone like a dog to get any worth out of it!! So the ribs are fairly good!!

Fried Chicken: The fried chicken is very good and we asked for more last year and this year. Good flavor…zero complaints on the fried chicken!

Cowboy Beans: probably my least favorite thing here but they are still good. They have meat in them which I really like!

Corn: How can you go wrong with corn unless you fail to season them and add butter? The corn was just right!! But again it is corn…..

Mashed Potatoes: To me this is where the HDDR food veers from the standard buffet fare. I adore these! If they aren’t from “real” potatoes then they are an excellent fake version! Again we got seconds…uhm, maybe thirds!!!

Overall, if you like this type of food, I don’t see many complaints….unless you are an overly picky foodie!!

As we chow down, the entertainment starts back up.

We munch and laugh, wave our napkins and sing along.

The birthdays are spotlighted and then the anniversaries…….followed by more entertainment!

Continued in following post.....
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #197
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

One last time!!!

Then the Strawberry Shortcake comes out!!!

We were pretty full by this time but that didn’t stop us. The strawberry shortcake is good, maybe not my favorite dessert but I am never one to pass up anything that has strawberries in it!!

At this point the people chosen from the audience have their time to shine! There was one particular group….a large group of 20-30 people all in one family. They came all the way from California to celebrate Nanna’s 90th Birthday. Everyone in Pioneer Hall had a blast helping this family celebrate! Well Nanna was chosen as the can-can girl and she did a magnificent job! When I am 90 I want to be just like that!!!

The washboards come out and soon the Grand Finale and Curtain Call!

Once again Hoop dee Doo was not a disappointment! If you have never been I highly suggest you GO!! Even of the food isn’t 5 star cuisine and the songs/jokes are corny this is Disney and this dinner show is what Disney is all about! My teens love it, my 40 something DH who used to hate Disney anything adores it…it is a show for all ages because obviously even 90 year olds can get into the spirit!! I suppose there are some that this just isn’t their cup of tea but I say try it at least once!!

With the show and dinner over, we head back to the boat dock. There is a group right in front of us trying to determine how to find their car. One says ride a boat, ride a boat, find Dopey. One says no only one boat and it was Grumpy. The conversation goes on and on and finally I can’t hold my laughter in any longer! We all get into a great conversation and enjoy the wait for the next ferry and the ride back to MK. As our ferry pulls away Nanna and family are walking down the dock so we all burst out singing Happy Birthday as our ferry pulls away! It was just so much fun!!!!!!!

Pictures of our ride back to MK (and no flash photography!!). The lady in the other group kept using her flash and getting reprimanded that the captain couldn’t see!! At first I kept saying my flash isn’t on until I realized I wasn’t the one “in trouble”!

We dock and head to the bus stops. Our free Monday is over and Tuesday will come early…back to the parks!!!

So how would I rank this “free” vacation day? A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!! This day is what a vacation is all about!! From an early morning walk, to swimming, the boat ride to DTD and lunch, changing our future free day and ending it with HDDR and it all included having fun, uninhabited fun with your family! This day could not have been any better!! It was all and so much more than I ever could have hoped or planned!! Will the rest of the trip live up to today? There is still a lot left to do!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #198
amandaw
DIS Veteran

YAY! The HDDR review!

First let me say that I love all of your pictures! Especially the ones you took of the kids while waiting around outside.

Now....as for that snide lady. What a miserable person she must be. I really feel for her children. If she's like that at Disney....yikes! I'm glad you were able to bite your tongue & not stoop to her level. I, on the other hand, probably would have stooped down very quickly.

The show really looks like a lot of fun. This makes me very happy about choosing this for our last night meal. And the food looks very yummy. I think Ed will love the food!!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #199
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Yay!!!! HDDR!!!!

First, I thought I remembered having to take a bus out to Fort Wilderness. You can take a ferry straight there? That may really change things for me. I hate the idea of having to take 3 buses just to get there.

Gorgeous photos! Love the photo shoot with Madison, she looks gorgeous.

So glad that you all loved the show and had a great free day!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #200
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

To use a line from my last trip report installment "What flew up her butt?" I never understand it when someone makes rude comments when others are having fun and taking pictures. Like you said, it's not as if ya'll were being extremely loud or anything. She should take lessons from your family and cut loose every once in a while.

I agree with you on the Hoop Dee Doo Review review. While we like the food, it's the show and atmosphere that keep us going back.

I think your off day was a complete success!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #201
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
YAY! The HDDR review!

First let me say that I love all of your pictures! Especially the ones you took of the kids while waiting around outside.

Now....as for that snide lady. What a miserable person she must be. I really feel for her children. If she's like that at Disney....yikes! I'm glad you were able to bite your tongue & not stoop to her level. I, on the other hand, probably would have stooped down very quickly.

The show really looks like a lot of fun. This makes me very happy about choosing this for our last night meal. And the food looks very yummy. I think Ed will love the food!!
Thanks on the pictures! I was hoping for a more "portrait" type shot to frame of the kids and these suited me fine!

I normally would have said something to that lady but I am trying to learn to hold my tongue until I cool down! I tend to have a bit of a temper....the Irish coming out in me! I told Keith about it after the fact and he wanted to go hunt her down!

I personally think you will love it and made a perfect choice for your last night!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Yay!!!! HDDR!!!!

First, I thought I remembered having to take a bus out to Fort Wilderness. You can take a ferry straight there? That may really change things for me. I hate the idea of having to take 3 buses just to get there.

Gorgeous photos! Love the photo shoot with Madison, she looks gorgeous.

So glad that you all loved the show and had a great free day!
Last year we drove and parked in the front parking area and then had to board a bus. It took forever plus we were running a little late. By the time we arrived I was majorly stressed!! With the ferry from MK you get off the dock and walk past the beach area then a little bit further down the walk you are at Pioneer Hall! It was amazingly convenient and really made me shake my head at last year's decision! (As a matter of fact, you can see the lake where the boat dock is in the picture I took from the side porch where we sat to have drinks)

I keep looking at Madison and wondering where the last 10 years went! It seems like yesterday she was 6 years old! They grow up so fast! I agree, I think she is gorgeous too but then I am an inpartial mom!! Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
To use a line from my last trip report installment "What flew up her butt?" I never understand it when someone makes rude comments when others are having fun and taking pictures. Like you said, it's not as if ya'll were being extremely loud or anything. She should take lessons from your family and cut loose every once in a while.

I agree with you on the Hoop Dee Doo Review review. While we like the food, it's the show and atmosphere that keep us going back.

I think your off day was a complete success!
We had noticed the two kids faces seemed so down and then as things progressed we realized why! I wonder if it made her feel better to comment on us having fun when she was apparently not!

The show is what really takes us back over and over! We just have the best time and the food isn't bad either so it adds to the enjoyment! The more I go the more I feel it is really a great value even if paying OOP at cat. 1 prices!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #202
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Reaching the end of the mansion section, I cross back over the Sassagoula River and make my way back to POFQ.

This reminds me of the antebellum homes from where I was born in Natchez.

Quote:
I love Magnolias! Maybe because I grew up in a town with that name but it just seems so Southern to me!!
Of course you do...it is our State tree and flower after all! I didn't know you were a Pike County gal!

Quote:
Now this reminds me of the "other" French Quarter!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #203
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!! I have always wanted to try HDDR! It looks like you had so much fun! I'm definitely putting it on our list for next trip.

So glad to hear you had a wonderful "free" vacation day!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #204
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets
This reminds me of the antebellum homes from where I was born in Natchez.

Of course you do...it is our State tree and flower after all! I didn't know you were a Pike County gal!

Now this reminds me of the "other" French Quarter!
I love Natchez! Those antebellum homes reminding me of Natchez was the reason I always hesitated staying at PO...so close to home. But I am so glad I gave it a shot!

I am a Pike County gal!!!

You're back from Hawaii!! Was it amazing!? We are currently on the road to The Rock!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #205
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274
Great update!! I have always wanted to try HDDR! It looks like you had so much fun! I'm definitely putting it on our list for next trip.

So glad to hear you had a wonderful "free" vacation day!
Thanks!! HDDR is so fun! I hope you can try it one day! It was a great "free" day!!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #206
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're back from Hawaii!! Was it amazing!? We are currently on the road to The Rock!!!
Yup....made it back safe and sorta sound! I'll have to start the TR soon. I wish I had known you were coming this way for the game. It would have been nice to talk in person. It definately would have been better than the game! Sighhhhhh.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #207
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

What.A.Great.Day! Thank you so much for the great review of HDD (again!). I love all the pics of the show and all the pics before and after of the boat ride, your kids, just everything!! Too bad "grumpus lady" wasn't having a very Disney day or attitude. Madison's little photo shoot is great. She is a beautiful girl and I remember exactly what you're feeling when you look at them and can't believe how grown up they are. I made the HDD reservation already for our January trip and can't wait for the experience! I think we'll all love it! (forgot that you pay for this meal when you make the reservation () but it'll be great come January!!) What a great story about the family celebrating Nanna's 90th birthday! I'm gonna tell my family they can plan on that opportunity as well (especially since I'm Nana too)!!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #208
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Yup....made it back safe and sorta sound! I'll have to start the TR soon. I wish I had known you were coming this way for the game. It would have been nice to talk in person. It definately would have been better than the game! Sighhhhhh.
I will have to watch for that TR!

We plan to be at the Louisville game on the 29th. It would have been nice to say "hi"! I didn't have huge hopes for this season but what I was afraid of happening happened! We looked like a high school team yesterday! The highlight was tailgating, pregame:

and then between the 3rd and 4th quarter the dude that kicked the 37 yard field goal to win a jeep. That was the biggest highlight...he was stoked! The rest was as you said..."Sighhhhhhhh"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
What.A.Great.Day! Thank you so much for the great review of HDD (again!). I love all the pics of the show and all the pics before and after of the boat ride, your kids, just everything!! Too bad "grumpus lady" wasn't having a very Disney day or attitude. Madison's little photo shoot is great. She is a beautiful girl and I remember exactly what you're feeling when you look at them and can't believe how grown up they are. I made the HDD reservation already for our January trip and can't wait for the experience! I think we'll all love it! (forgot that you pay for this meal when you make the reservation () but it'll be great come January!!) What a great story about the family celebrating Nanna's 90th birthday! I'm gonna tell my family they can plan on that opportunity as well (especially since I'm Nana too)!!
Thank you so much!!! This was one of the highlights of the trip!! It was a wonderful day!! My mom is Nanie...she was going to be Nana but when Madison (the first grandchild) started talking, it came out Nanie so my mom said whatever she was called was fine by her!

I hope you guys love it as much as we do!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #209
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Day 3 begins at Hollywood Studios!!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The original “plan” for today is to begin the day at Hollywood Studios (Toy Story is a must! Keith loves this ride!), lunch at Sci-Fi, a break at the resort to swim and then head to Epcot for dinner at The Garden Grill and whatever strikes our fancy! Let’s see what this day holds!!!

We arrive bright and early at Hollywood Studios. We line up for the bag check which seemed to take forever (again one of the longest lines we had to endure!) This year the Rope Drop scenario has changed and I must say I much prefer this new format! I did get one crowd picture:

After going through bag check, we line up at the ticket turnstiles. Once 9am hits the CMs begin letting people go through the turnstiles and the rush to get to those valuable FPs and much desired rides is greatly decreased! You still had masses going in one way or the other but nothing like last year’s fiasco!

I love Magic Kingdom Rope Drop solely for the Welcome Show, Epcot doesn’t require me to be there 45 minutes early, and Animal Kingdom depends since we like early entry breakfast at Tusker House but Hollywood Studios? Getting there early is a MUST if we choose to go on Toy Story Mania. I refuse to wait longer than 30 minutes and I want my FP return time to not be that night!

We enter the park and hand our tickets to Chris to make the FP run. Madison chose to hang with Keith and me since she doesn’t like trying to keep up with Chris. He doesn’t really run but his legs are much longer than Madison’s and walking fast means Madison has to run!

As we make our way to Pixar Land I snap a few pictures (my goal was pictures I haven’t really gotten before) so this one was new:

Goofy is coming out for Character Meets:

In trying to get the Hollywood Studios sign I got this lady in stride…wonder if she made it where she was going!?

Then we make it to Pixar and Toy Story!!

PIXAR sign: This is a replica of the Pixar gateway in Emeryville, CA and the bricks used were chosen to match the ones at the animation studio in Emeryville. To me…who cares? But really it is that kind of detail that makes things special. If you car enough to match the bricks then you will care enough to make the rest of the project work!!

Chris rejoins us and we get in the stand-by line (about a 15 minute wait). I take a few pictures along the way but we were moving so quickly it was hard to not hold up those eager to ride!

We enter and are shrunk to toy size. Something else I never really stopped to think about. Now that I do know this, looking around is even cooler! Supposedly as you pass the blue crayon you are magically shrunk to toy size and as you go through the queue, the room is actually Andy’s and everything has been left as if he were playing with the toys and games! Once you enter the ride you have become part of their world and are interacting with the toys as you play TSMM. Now I feel really dumb because it makes so much sense!! I don’t think I would be a good Imagineer!!

I loved this game as a child!!

Mr. Potato Head: So this guy isn’t your typical Audio-Animatronics character. He is the first to be able to remove parts of his body and his mouth looks as though it is forming real words along with his eyes looking at the individual he is speaking to.

A few more before we join in the midway fun!!

We load up and have fun competing. The prize for the highest scorer was to choose where we would eat on Thursday night. Another change in plans was that I was having huge doubts about eating at Les Chefs de France since we were paying OOP and Keith didn’t want the meal to be at lunch. So that ADR was cancelled but the decision of just where to eat was up in the air. By the end of this day, the decision is made!!

But for now, Keith beats us at TSMM and after exiting we try to decide where to go next.

We walk over to Tower of Terror but the wait was already 60 minutes (thanks to those tour groups which I am choosing to completely leave out of this but it pretty much confirmed we won’t go back in July unless it is our only choice!!!)

We grab some FPs but when the kids return with the FP I see it is impossible for us to use them. We have an ADR an 11:15am and the return time is 11:20-12:20pm. Sometimes I REALLY dislike them enforcing that return time rule!! Disappointed we later hand them over to a very appreciative (and disbelieving) teenage girl in the TSMM FP Return line. Just paying it forward since I have had FPs handed over to me before!!

Continued in next post....

Last edited by TinksThree; 09-16-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #210
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

continued from the previous post...

Anyhow, we decide to move on down the road since Rock-n-Roller is at 75 minutes. We head towards Art of Animation. This is a "not done before" for us. We wait about 10 minutes before the next showing. We enter the cool little theater area.

This is a pleasant experience. We enjoyed hearing the tales of animation!

We exit and see a lady hard at work. I wonder if she feels like she's in a zoo?

And then we move into the next area where Sorcerer Mickey is located.

We played a game telling which character we are…

I am Ursula….can’t remember how that happened. I think we were trying to see what options were there! (Or else I am a subconsciously devious sort of person!)

Madison got Belle!

Chris and Keith both got Captain Hook. Something to be proud of????

Next we go back to TSMM to ride using our FP. Again Keith beats us all (makes me so mad!!! )

Then we go the long way to our lunch ADR at Sci-Fi! Streets of America!!

Do you spot the red fire hydrant? This hydrant will open at times spraying cold water on unsuspecting people (I suppose). I did not know this nor have I seen it. We were in too big of a hurry from food to stop and see what would happen!

The guys check out the subway!

Madison and I wanted to repeat some of the pictures from March but that never happened.

Next up: Lunch at Sci-Fi and more Park Hopping changes!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: