Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #181
jacque1282
Earning My Ears

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Saturday, July 7, 2012

For weeks Keith and I had been discussing the trip and “plans”. I had informed him many times that we were to leave by 4:30am! He would tell me 8am and I would inform him NO! 4:30am. If he isn't ready at 4:30 then we will just see him in Orlando!! Well guess what time we left? Yep, 4:30am!!

The trip was set for July 7-14 but not originally. Originally we were to go July 15-20. Many changes to the trip occurred over a three month period that resulted in a longer stay and moving the trip up a week and at one point we thought it would not happen but in the end all was good!. Madison’s high school soccer team had mandatory soccer camp and we found out the dates after the trip was reserved. After much discussion we chose to move it up one week and the people at Disney were awesome!!

We were utilizing the Disney military salute tickets and room discounts. Our original week had only one resort available: Caribbean Beach. Keith wanted Port Orleans due to the boat to DTD but this wasn’t in the cards. That is until I called to see about moving the trip up a week and decided to inquire on the availability of Port Orleans. They had availability at POFQ with a Garden View! Score! I was excited because I knew Keith would be happy.

Oh, and here is a picture of our tickets…I am glad I took this picture because these disappear mid-week!

Well, let’s get back to departure day! It is 4am and we are loading the car trunk in the dark (well by the light of the carport) when guess who pulls up?! A policeman! He was just checking to be sure that the loading of the car was legit, wished us a happy and safe vacation and went on his way! This made us feel very safe to know that we are being watched! At least if the bad guys came hopefully the police would be there….I hope anyway!!

We are on the road by 4:40am. This time suits me perfectly! I just want to be in Orlando by 5pm!

A full moon was beginning to call it a night (or day???)!

We head south and decide we want to go a different route. We do not care for HWY 98 once we cross into Alabama (going through Wilmer and Semmes). We always get stuck behind someone on the two-lane portion and we really just felt like seeing something a little different. Our GPS did not like this change of events and tried redirecting us for miles and miles!! Somewhere around Laurel, MS, the sun begins to rise….

As we got to Waynesville, MS we made a discovery (not like we didn’t know this but it struck us) that there is a lot of non-utilized land! We were in some rural areas and it was nice not to see concrete and buildings everywhere!

Our little detour didn’t take much longer and it was an added adventure to our vacation!

We eventually begin our journey towards Mobile and soon we are headed west in I-10!

The tunnel!!

A sleepy Madison is excited regardless of the hour! (It is 8am by this time)

We get through the tunnel and pass the USS Alabama:

This is the stretch that we spend the majority of our travel! We ride and ride and ride and then we finally are going through the toll booths! Our hotel for the night was in Kissimmee and had I known that I would take $9 to go through the tolls I would have rented a horse and buggy!! Tolls are ridiculous!! I’ll avoid that soap box though….

Finally we get to the hotel and vow to not venture on that stretch again!

Our hotel for the night may look familiar to those that read my TR from March.

Only the hotel is no longer Clarion Maingate but now Comfort Inn Maingate. I liked it in March and for a one night stay I felt it would be perfect…plus I got a great deal on the room charge!! A few pictures of the room:

Our view isn't as cool as I had in March (of the four parks) since we were on the opposite side but it was still fine:

The bedding is slightly different with the hotel change but overall the hotel is no different. We relax and nap briefly and then we get ready for our first ADR! We are headed to the Beach Club Resort!! Which begins what you guys are really reading for right!?

These pictures you posted just brought back some wonderful memories for me. In 2005, I did the Disney College Program. When I moved to FL for it, by Dad drove with me from Oklahoma, helped me get moved in, then flew back home. We took this same drive through MS. I will always remember going through the tunnel because Dad and I like to try and hold our breath through tunnels on trips, but we couldn't make it through that one. The road trip there and the road trip back with him after my program was over are some of my favorite memories. We couldn't have had a better time. Thank you for letting me re-live those!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #182
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed those pictures! I was having an EXTREMEMLY bad day yesterday and decided to post these pictures...made me feel a lot better!!
I hear ya about the bad day......looks like your pictures helped to cheer us both up!

Quote:

I'm glad those Disney police didn't find me!! My luck Disney jail would be non-stop "Stitch's Great Escape"!
Oh my goodness! Yes, that would be torture!

Quote:

And I saw you're going to HDDR! I have GOT to get to your PTR but my next post should be on HDDR!! Funny it was Ohana and now HDDR!!
Great minds really do think alike! First you had Via Napoli then 'Ohana...now HDDR is coming up! Can't wait to read that review!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #183
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures on your morning walk!! I think you may have just convinced me to try either POR or POFQ on our next trip! I know my oldest son would love it! He loves jazz music. The resort just looks so peaceful and the grounds are very beautiful.

Too funny about about your illegal breakfast! It looks really tasty though.....

Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #184
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
My mom never sleeps in either. I think it's a mom thing. When we went to the Dominican, for a beach do nothing vacation, she was up at like 5:30am every day, just to claim our beach chairs. I am so not like that.

I just love all of the early morning pictures, but I know for a fact you will not be seeing any from me.

There is no such thing as excessive / unnecessary picture taking. Especially at Disney.

Ooohh, contraband waffle maker! I had no idea. You just gave me some new information.
For some reason I feel as though if I sleep in I am wasting my day...yet I love an afternoon nap! That doesn't seem to make much sense! But I do love the peacefulness before the whole world awakes!

I agree that there is no such thing as excessive picture taking...I need to convince my family of that!

Not sure how some things are different from a coffee pot unless maybe you never know what the condition of the device brought in may be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Love all the pics....ahhhhh, brings me right back

And I just had to comment on the pressure washer thing. Wow was that annoying! Do they really need to do that every single morning around the entire resort?? I mean, it is wonderful that they keep things so clean and I'm sure I would be one of the first people to complain if it was dirty, but every day? Maybe every other day would be okay....or just "spot cleaning". We were right across the courtyard from you in Building 2 on the end that is closest to Building 1. I loved that pretty fountain in front of us, but we could never sit and enjoy it because whenever it wasn't 195 degrees out, they were pressure washing. Really annoying.....

Okay, rant over
Was that not the most annoying thing!? And it went on forver and forver and forever! I think they must have presure washed that area for 2 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacque1282 View Post
These pictures you posted just brought back some wonderful memories for me. In 2005, I did the Disney College Program. When I moved to FL for it, by Dad drove with me from Oklahoma, helped me get moved in, then flew back home. We took this same drive through MS. I will always remember going through the tunnel because Dad and I like to try and hold our breath through tunnels on trips, but we couldn't make it through that one. The road trip there and the road trip back with him after my program was over are some of my favorite memories. We couldn't have had a better time. Thank you for letting me re-live those!
We hold our breath too! And we can never make it...that tunnel is so long! I am so glad the pictures brought up some good memories! I wish I had known more about the college program because I kow I would have loved that experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I hear ya about the bad day......looks like your pictures helped to cheer us both up!

It really did cheer my day up some! Glad it helped yours too!

Oh my goodness! Yes, that would be torture!

I'm helping my aunt plan a trip next year for her family and I told her Saturday when she saw that attraction to run!!!

Great minds really do think alike! First you had Via Napoli then 'Ohana...now HDDR is coming up! Can't wait to read that review!!
I forgot about VN!! We are definitely riding the "great minds" wave!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Beautiful pictures on your morning walk!! I think you may have just convinced me to try either POR or POFQ on our next trip! I know my oldest son would love it! He loves jazz music. The resort just looks so peaceful and the grounds are very beautiful.

Too funny about about your illegal breakfast! It looks really tasty though.....
I really love the peaceful feeling you get as soon as you get on property at both POR and POFQ, especially after the craziness of the parks!! POFQ has jazz music playing throughtout all of the time. It really adds to the ambience!!

It was a very tasty breakfast...even if it was illegal.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #185
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

A free afternoon! What to do?

After our leisurely morning at the pool and crimianl activity during breakfast, we head to DTD via the boat of course!!

One day I hope to stay in one of these! They look so relaxing as well!!

Moving on down the river...

The Spanish Moss is really taking over these trees!

We have big plans for the evening so we choose a lite lunch. Our choice? Earl of Sandwich!

I have the Original and a bowl of tomato soup (which I love!!). The sandwich this go-around was okay but not great so I was a little disappointed. The meat was very stringy and fatty—not the best choice.

Someone got this one but I can’t remember who or what it was!!

Macaroni Salad

And fruit

After eating lunch we head off for a little walk around DTD. Madison and I go into World of Disney while Keith finds a table in the shade and Chris gets ice cream from Ghiradelli.

Adventures in World of Disney!!

After our attempt at shopping Madison and I sit with Keith. Madison enjoying the day:

WOD shot from my view point at the table:

Continued in the following post!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #186
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post...

We get ready to leave and see a show is about to begin. We head over and find a spot to sit in the blazing sun. It was a dance group from Ohio or New Jersey. They were cute and it was an entertaining show.

This stage area is one of Keith’s things he likes to do….if it is entertaining that is!

We decide to head back but first a brief stop in Tren-D

Then on to the bus stops!!

We headed to the buses and rode for an hour…yes I said an HOUR!! The bus was quick to arrive…5 minutes tops! But by the time we made the stop at Pleasure Island, rode to Port Orleans and then made 5 stops at POR before finally making it to POFQ it was an hour! We decided riding the bus to DTD must be the WORST decision ever! Of course that doesn’t deter us later but that is because we just really, really dislike driving our own car while at Disney! We just moan and groan about how long it takes and state “are you kidding me” over and over while Madison dances since she decided to not use the restroom (again!!)prior to loading onto a bus that takes an hour to go a few miles! All other bus experiences were great but not the one to and from DTD!! I would rather the boat ride if it is going to take an hour!

On our way to the room I notice this...

Remember before I said I took a lot of pictures of this fountain? And during my morning stroll it had those pretty flowers all the way around it! Within the time we were gone to DTD they had completely replanted new plants!! Frankly I prefer the flowers over the plants but I think it probably had to do with the hardiness of the plants in the coming weeks of Florida heat!

Still I was amazed at the transformation...as if it were....magic!!

Back at the room, Keith and I decide to find out about upgrading our tickets. Oh, yeah, I forgot to add that there is a stop at Typhoon Lagoon between Pleasure Island and POR. That stop prompted Keith to inquire why we never do a waterpark. I proceed to remind him that I had suggested it but as any typical man does he denied us ever having that conversation.

I proceed to remind him of the conversation: My days leading up to the trip were hard at work and I really was trying to determine how to extend our vacation past arriving home on Friday. I came up with the idea to make a beach stop (since Keith likes the beach) around Panama City and spend the night there. Keith agreed if I could make the budget work. I made the budget work and found a beachfront hotel (this is 2 weeks before the trip so I felt lucky considering the trip is in July!). Upon further discussion, Keith says why not just stay at POFQ if there is availability and we could add another free day within the week. I call and this works out fine. We look at the schedule and decide Wednesday is a good free day and I mention the Waterparks and more add-on option. Keith says “Nah, see if you can find a beach to drive to.” He actually finds one: New Smyrna Beach. I research, get the low down and this is our “plan” for Wednesday.

Oh, yes, he remembers now!! Well, this is Monday and he is thinking driving 1 ½ hours one way for beach time isn’t too great of an idea since it will take away relaxation time. Let’s check on upgrading the tickets and do a waterpark instead of driving to a beach! Keith calls Shades of Green but the hold is never ending. We decide to make the drive over since we have a little time prior to dinner.

Drive over and then come back to catch a bus to MK? Yep, that is right! The reason is because in 2010 we made the hike from Poly to SoG in early June and it was so hot and tiring! We didn’t want to be tired out this day, or night! So we hopped in the car and drove over. Once we got to the ticket area we see why the hold line took forever! The line was extremely long! But it also moved quickly! We find out that since our tickets had already been activated the upgrade had to be done at a park window…so wasted trip? Yes and no. No upgrade but we decide to take care of that the next morning!

We load back into the car, drive back to POFQ, freshen up and head to the bus stop. Once at MK we make our way to the boat dock and after a short wait we are soon on our way to Ft Wilderness!!!

Next up: A little dinner show called Hoop Dee Doo!!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #187
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Holy Moley! An hour to get back to your room? That's a long time! It seems like the DTD buses are bad no matter what resort you stay in. Poor Madison. I've done that side to side, jiggle wiggle dance 'cause I didn't go to the bathroom before we left dance.

Oh Keith! Hasn't he learned yet that we document anything and everything on our pre-trip reports and it only takes a few minutes for us to go back and reference planning conversations? Will they never learn?

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #188
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Holy Moley! An hour to get back to your room? That's a long time! It seems like the DTD buses are bad no matter what resort you stay in. Poor Madison. I've done that side to side, jiggle wiggle dance 'cause I didn't go to the bathroom before we left dance.

Oh Keith! Hasn't he learned yet that we document anything and everything on our pre-trip reports and it only takes a few minutes for us to go back and reference planning conversations? Will they never learn?
Yes, an hour!! I was so ready to get off of that bus!! This was the 2nd time Madison had the dance going on! But in her defense, a lot can occur within an hour span!

You'd think Keith would figure it out. But I think he may know I do this and that is less he has to keep in his head!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #189
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness! I can't get over that bus ride back to POFQ from DTD!

Sounds like y'all were having a nice, leisurely day though!

You know I'm ready for that Hoop Revue!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #190
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Is it wrong that I think of the DTD boats as "Keith's boat"? Knowing how much he loves the boat ride, I'm shocked that you took a chance on the buses. I am horrified that the bus ride took and hour!!! That's awful! Poor Madison-make sure she knows that she's not the only Madison to have that problem on the way back from DTD.

I can't wait to hear about the Hoop! I hope that you guys had a great time there again!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #191
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Oh my goodness! I can't get over that bus ride back to POFQ from DTD!

Sounds like y'all were having a nice, leisurely day though!

You know I'm ready for that Hoop Revue!
That bus ride was crazy!! You would think we would have figured out that riding the bus to POFQ from DTD was a BAD idea!!!

I hope to not leave you hanging too long on the Hoop review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Is it wrong that I think of the DTD boats as "Keith's boat"? Knowing how much he loves the boat ride, I'm shocked that you took a chance on the buses. I am horrified that the bus ride took and hour!!! That's awful! Poor Madison-make sure she knows that she's not the only Madison to have that problem on the way back from DTD.

I can't wait to hear about the Hoop! I hope that you guys had a great time there again!
That is so funny that you think of it as "Keith's boat"! He loves the boat transportation! I think I must have represented that fact well!

I can't remember why we took the chance on the bus again since the previous night was just as bad...well almost! I remember reading about your Maddie and thinking that sounds like my 16 year old!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #192
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Nice relaxing afternoon at DTD. Love to just wander around there. But, really, an HOUR on the bus!! (Poor Madison btw! Been there, done that dance!) Just curious why the bus when you could take the boat? We've never done the boat to DTD but since we're staying at Old Key West one week in January I'm looking forward to that boat ride. Looking forward to the HDD review. Hoping you love it as much as before.
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #193
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Nice relaxing afternoon at DTD. Love to just wander around there. But, really, an HOUR on the bus!! (Poor Madison btw! Been there, done that dance!) Just curious why the bus when you could take the boat? We've never done the boat to DTD but since we're staying at Old Key West one week in January I'm looking forward to that boat ride. Looking forward to the HDD review. Hoping you love it as much as before.
It was a lovely afternoon! I can't remember exactly why we didn't ride the boat this time. I am thinking this was the time that the boat line was pretty long...had we only known!!

I am so anxious to share HDDR that it's coming up!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #194
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Oh, Hoop Dee Doo!! We love it, Yes we do!!!

This is the first time we have taken this journey. Last year going to Hoop Dee Doo, we decided to drive. Hmmm….after that fiasco of trying to get there in time and knowing how easy this year’s journey was, well let’s just say lesson learned!!! This was so easy! Bus to MK, load onto the ferry, enjoy a relaxing boat ride to Ft. Wilderness, and exit mere feet from Pioneer Hall!

Let's begin the journey!!

I had hoped to arrive early and go to Wilderness Lodge to explore since I have wanted to see this resort…again this does not happen.

But I do get to see it in the distance!!

And as I pass by this area I can’t help thinking about the now defunct River Country.

How about a peaceful little boat ride, folks!? Nice, huh!?
……………………..
We arrive with lots of time to spare! I did not want to be late like last year!!

Since we have so much time I take a few pictures of the kids:

Then Madison and I go for a walk to see the horses:

And I take more photographs of her!

Continued in the next post....
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #195
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post...

We decide to head back over to Pioneer Hall:

Then we get something to drink and enjoy the evening on the side porch:

We had fun taking crazy pictures and laughing. The only problem was that a lady and two children (8-10 yrs or so) were sitting at a picnic table eating a pizza. The boy asked the lady why we were taking those pictures and she rolled her eyes and made a snide comment I choose to not repeat. I assume her vacation was not as happy as ours! I chose to not stoop to her level and smiled at her while we kept on enjoying ourselves. Had we been loud or obnoxious it may have been one thing but we were simply snapping pictures like this:

Before long it was time to check in and get our picture taken (I didn’t even know about this picture last year since we were so late!) I told Keith if it was good I planned to purchase…I was happy with it so when they showed us the picture at the table I bought it. Here is a picture of the picture:

One of the few souvenirs I got this trip was this frame for the picture!

Very soon we are heading inside

and to our Category 1 seats! Last year we were against the stage. I didn’t expect that this time around since I made the reservations only 3 months out. We are led to the table and….we are next to the table we sat at last year!!!

The cornbread and salad was already on the table so we begin fixing our plates.

Our waitress comes by to take our orders. She had little personality and we commented on it all night. She was prompt and sufficient but little personality so we decided her story was she had a bad day and is not the type person who can shake it off and be friendly at a waitress position. Whatever her issue was, we stuck with this version we made up to satisfy our disappointment in her attitude.

Continued on page 14...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: