Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #166
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I'm so sorry that you didn't make it to the Boardwalk and Jellyrolls! At least it's super convenient to get to DTD from POFQ!

Poor kids should listen to their mom if they want to make the most of EMH! They probably enjoyed being off on their own though!

Your photos are making me miss POFQ! I really loved it there, but then I loved CBR and the BWI too I'm not sure if I'll ever have a favorite resort.
I was slightly disappointed in not making it over to the Boardwalk area! The ease of hopping on the boat versus getting to the Boardwalk was our deciding factor!

When they told me what they had (or had not) done I couldn't believe it!

I see those pictures and I really wish I were there now! But I know what you mean about a lot of the resorts being a favorite until I see soemthing from another! I am helping my aunt plan a trip next year and I warned her about that in researching the resort options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Awww, sorry you didn't get to go to Jellyrolls!

You'll definitely have to join the kids for EMHs next time! They need to learn how to make the most of that time.

Can't wait to hear how the next day panned out.
I hope to squeeze in Jellyrolls this October...maybe! I have learned to not plan too much! I definitely need to coach those kids some more!!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #167
solana131
DIS Veteran

You got some great shots of the grounds at FQ. I never remember to take pics of the resort. This time around I did remember to take a few pics of our room, but not much of FQ out and about. And I love the pictures you took at night. FQ looks so great from the river with all the lights on. That's one thing Disney does great...night lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
ME is a goal of mine to visit! The pictures always look so amazing!
Well anytime you want to come visit, I'll show you around. I've lived here all my life. I've travelled quite a bit, all over the world and there is just nothing that holds a candle to Maine. We have the mountains, ocean, lakes and rivers all in one small area. We are fast approaching my favorite time of the year here....fall! It is so pretty with the leaves changing and the weather getting cooler. I love it!

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #168
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Awww, it's too bad you didn't make it to the Boardwalk but that just leaves something on the list for next time! Gotta admit that when I'm at DD, it's usually for the shopping. Although we've walked over to the West End before, it's been to eat at Wolfgang's or some other mission. Too bad it wasn't more entertaining. What's at Pleasure Island now? Anything?

Funny about the kids standing in long lines and taking no pictures. Apparently they need more training which means more Disney trips!!

Don't blame you about the Photopass. I didn't buy the one from Ashton's trip in February either and for the same reason. Not enough pics to make it worthwhile. Now when we go in January 2013 with everyone, I think I'm going to go with the new Photopass +. Sounds like a great deal for our big family and we're doing several of the meals where they take pictures so I think it's a big WIN!

Waiting to hear how relaxing your next day was...........
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #169
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
You got some great shots of the grounds at FQ. I never remember to take pics of the resort. This time around I did remember to take a few pics of our room, but not much of FQ out and about. And I love the pictures you took at night. FQ looks so great from the river with all the lights on. That's one thing Disney does great...night lighting.

Thanks! My family thinks I take too many pictures! But I like to look back and pretend I am there some days!! I agree about the night lighting! It is amazing the mood that one simple act can set!

Well anytime you want to come visit, I'll show you around. I've lived here all my life. I've travelled quite a bit, all over the world and there is just nothing that holds a candle to Maine. We have the mountains, ocean, lakes and rivers all in one small area. We are fast approaching my favorite time of the year here....fall! It is so pretty with the leaves changing and the weather getting cooler. I love it!
We adore the outdoors and I think that is one reason I am so drawn to that area! Plus we have nothing like that around here. Well, we have lakes and oceans and mountains but it is spread out and just doesn't look the same! Fall is the time I would want m first visit!! Fall is just my favorite time of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Awww, it's too bad you didn't make it to the Boardwalk but that just leaves something on the list for next time! Gotta admit that when I'm at DD, it's usually for the shopping. Although we've walked over to the West End before, it's been to eat at Wolfgang's or some other mission. Too bad it wasn't more entertaining. What's at Pleasure Island now? Anything?

Funny about the kids standing in long lines and taking no pictures. Apparently they need more training which means more Disney trips!!

Don't blame you about the Photopass. I didn't buy the one from Ashton's trip in February either and for the same reason. Not enough pics to make it worthwhile. Now when we go in January 2013 with everyone, I think I'm going to go with the new Photopass +. Sounds like a great deal for our big family and we're doing several of the meals where they take pictures so I think it's a big WIN!

Waiting to hear how relaxing your next day was...........
We have only gone to DTD for eating and shopping too up until this trip. Pleasure Island didn't have anything going on. We thought about going to a movie but it was $12 or $15 a person and at the time there wasn't anything interesting enough to pay that much money! For the October trip I hope Splitsville is open and we may try it out! We like to bowl and it looks a little different than your typical bowling alley. And Boardwalk is definitely on the plans for October! We'll see if Jellyrolls makes the cut!

I have got to get those kids trained better....more trips sounds like just the right way to train!!

I had considered the PPP due to the restaurants and ride photos but by the end of the trip, I still don't think that would have been worth it. I am thinking I may have to coerce Keith into getting pictures in October since it will be just the two of us!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #170
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

How free can a "free" day be? Come take a walk with me!!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday is one of our “free” days. We have two, the other one is on Wednesday. I had planned this day since I figured we would be tired from the previous night’s adventures! Everyone sleeps in but me. I am almost always an early riser mostly due to a little Jack Russell that insists on going out when the sun rises. That means my body clock is pretty much set for early rising—no matter how much sleep I did (or didn’t) get! I enjoy the quiet moments anyway so it isn’t that bad, and since I am not a morning person it allows me to get rid of the morning grumpies before others wake. Of course when I am at Disney those morning grumpies quickly dissolve!!!

On this particular morning I woke up around 6:45am. I had planned on a morning walk anyhow and quickly grabbed the things I had set aside the night before and head out! Aside from several runners, I am all alone. The runners made me feel guilty that I was leisurely wandering with a bulky camera….but I got over it! Warning: HEAVY on resort pics!!

Since we were right next to the Sassagoula River, that was the direction I headed. I found a bench and sat for a few moments.

Then I made my way along the pathway to Riverside. Since we were in Building 1 our location was about as far away from Riverside as I could get. The round trip would have been around 20 minutes walking moderately had I not made stops. It is a beautiful walk also! So here are some pictures along the way….

The sun begins to rise above the treetops!

The bridge that "separates" POR and POFQ...

The mansions….

I make my way to the Sassagoula Steamboat Company………..

This area is probably one of my favorites. It just seems so quaint and lovely. In many ways it makes my imagination a reality of how areas along the Mississippi should be…not how they really are!

Continued in the next post...

Last edited by TinksThree; 09-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #171
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post...

I cross over the bridge by Ol Man River Island. Which way to go???

This is the pool of my choice! We never come down this way to swim when at POFQ but I prefer it over the one at POFQ. Maybe it just seems more “grown-up”…not sure. I also like the quiet pools around POR. Those are nice places to relax without the hustle and bustle of the main pools.

Now it is time to make a return trip to POFQ. I cross the Sassagoula River Bridge and walk along the mansions' side. There was a family that was boating and stopped to try their luck at fishing. To me the fishing part would be boring since it is catch and release. If I go fishing I want Keith to clean those suckers so we can have a good ole fish fry!!! The boating part looked nice though and it was a beautiful morning that had started off semi-cool but the humidity was quickly building!

Further down the trail I pass one of the mansions and a mother/daughter photo session (mom was taking the photos). I snapped a picture (not one I will post since I don’t know the people) just to show Madison I am not weird with my picture taking! I later deleted the unneeded picture once my point was made! It was at this gazebo though!

Reaching the end of the mansion section, I cross back over the Sassagoula River and make my way back to POFQ.

Soon I am back to French Quarter and this time I cut through the paths around the buildings...

Seeing this gives me an idea..

I love Magnolias! Maybe because I grew up in a town with that name but it just seems so Southern to me!!

Almost back to the room...

Continued in the following post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #172
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Can you tell I liked the view from our room? How many times have you seen this picture!?

Back at the room, I discover three people still sleeping! This is around 8am so I decide to change into my swimsuit and head to the pool. It is deserted except for maybe 4-5 other people. I read my book and try to ignore the annoying power washer going non-stop in the bar area—which was right behind me.

Giving up on that I move down a little and can hear some of the jazz music being played (I love jazz! ). I swim some, read some, and then Keith calls…they are awake and hungry. I head back to the room and we fix breakfast.

I have become aware that what I am now about to say actually implicates me in illegal activity but since I never truly hid the illegal item (but it wasn’t in plain view as some fellow Disser’s got in trouble for….) and nothing was said, I did not realize you couldn’t bring certain items into the rooms until planning this upcoming trip and seeing a “Not Allowed” listing. Curiosity up yet?

Well, as a cost cutting measure one thing we had planned was eating breakfast in our room and since we aren’t big breakfast eaters, nothing fancy was really needed! We had little boxes of cereal, frozen sausage/biscuits that survived the week in the refrigerator, fruit and makings for waffles…so I brought along a waffle maker. Little did I know you aren’t supposed to bring any type of cooking devices. My biggest complaint on the moderates ( and even worse at the values) is that microwaves aren’t provided when you get that at other less expensive hotels but that is another gripe for another day)!

I make waffles for everyone and we make waffles reminiscent of the ones at Sleepy Hollow. Madison and I had the Nutella waffle in March and fell in love with it! No bananas due to it is summer and I can’t fathom having bananas in a hot car! Makes me car sick imagining the smell! But we did have strawberries and blueberries. Also we had leftover watermelon from July 4th celebrations so this was what my plate looked like:

The guys added in the sausage and biscuits that Chris had taken to the food court to heat. This was the basis of every morning with cereal thrown in on some days for good measure. The waffle iron cools quickly and clean-up was very minimal!

With our (at least partly) illegal breakfast now over we all head down to the pool. By this time it is around 9:30am. We swim for 45 minutes or so and decide to head to DTD for lunch.

Next up: Part 2 of a "Free Day"!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #173
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Love all of the resort pics! POR is on my list of 'maybe's for the next trip (princess room of course). I haven't seen many pics of that resort, so I was really happy to see yours.

I love being up and around the resort so early. (and I'm not a morning person either). It's so peaceful out there almost all alone. A nice way to start the day when you know you'll be facing the Disney crowds.

That waffle looks great! I didn't know it was illegal. Thank goodness you didn't bring an iron.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #174
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the LOVELY morning walk. Your pictures are amazing!! There is just nothing like a beautiful Disney resort for theming is there?!? I also noted that (at roughly 7:00 am) there is almost noone else in your pictures. Even the pool is quiet! We stayed at PO Riverside last year for one night and I thought the grounds were beautiful but we didn't have enough time to really explore much.

I think you're off to a great start for your quiet day even if you are now a lawbreaker on the loose. That illegal waffle did look very yummy I have to say. I knew that was Nutella on there even before I read your description. My opinion is anything with Nutella on it is wonderful!! I can't wait to try that Waffle treat at Sleepy Hollow! (P.S. at least Security didn't confiscate your (waffle) iron like someone else we know on their cruise!)
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #175
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I really really enjoyed your walk around the Port Orleans resorts. The grounds are so well maintained and pretty.

Oh Lord have mercy! We have another lawbreaker on our hands and I am feeling the kinship. I bring an iron on a cruise and you bring a wafflemaker to use in your resort room. We Southern girls sure do know how to break the rules.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #176
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Love all of the resort pics! POR is on my list of 'maybe's for the next trip (princess room of course). I haven't seen many pics of that resort, so I was really happy to see yours.

I love being up and around the resort so early. (and I'm not a morning person either). It's so peaceful out there almost all alone. A nice way to start the day when you know you'll be facing the Disney crowds.

That waffle looks great! I didn't know it was illegal. Thank goodness you didn't bring an iron.
We haven't stayed at a lot of different resorts: All-Star Sports which was not great and then POR/POFQ. POR is/was our favorite but POFQ has quickly grown on us! I am anxious to see how POP measures up. I am just glad Keith is getting interested in the deluxe resorts!!

I remember your morning CBR pics and it brought to mind my morning. It really is a great, peaceful way to begin a Disney day! Funny how I hate getting up at the same time at home!

Those waffles are so easy (and delicious!) and has become a Saturday morning favorite!! I wonder if waffle irons are misdemeanors and irons are felonies?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Thank you for the LOVELY morning walk. Your pictures are amazing!! There is just nothing like a beautiful Disney resort for theming is there?!? I also noted that (at roughly 7:00 am) there is almost noone else in your pictures. Even the pool is quiet! We stayed at PO Riverside last year for one night and I thought the grounds were beautiful but we didn't have enough time to really explore much.

I think you're off to a great start for your quiet day even if you are now a lawbreaker on the loose. That illegal waffle did look very yummy I have to say. I knew that was Nutella on there even before I read your description. My opinion is anything with Nutella on it is wonderful!! I can't wait to try that Waffle treat at Sleepy Hollow! (P.S. at least Security didn't confiscate your (waffle) iron like someone else we know on their cruise!)
I am so glad you enjoyed the morning walk in pictures! It was an "ahhhhh" morning. So relaxing and it was wonderful how quiet it was around the resort! This day is just one that goes done in the "good memories" book!

Isn't Nutella so good!? It even make plain toast yummy!! I am just a sneakier criminal than some people I suppose!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I really really enjoyed your walk around the Port Orleans resorts. The grounds are so well maintained and pretty.

Oh Lord have mercy! We have another lawbreaker on our hands and I am feeling the kinship. I bring an iron on a cruise and you bring a wafflemaker to use in your resort room. We Southern girls sure do know how to break the rules.
So happy you enjoyed the little "walk"!! The grounds are like a lovely Southern Plantation. It amazes me how in one small area of Florida they can have the Caribbean, a Southwestern desert, a Southern plantation, an African savannah...well you get the idea!! And they are all lovely in their own way!!

Yes we are partners in crime. We may need to enter into a protection service. I wonder if I pictures holding the incriminating evidence is now posted behind the resort check-in desk (like at Chinese restaurants)! Southern Girls are Rebellious!! You have to watch out for us!!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #177
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Your resort pictures are really lovely. Everything is so pretty and calm. It was very relaxing to look at - and I needed something relaxing tonight. Sounds like you had a wonderful start to your day!

That waffle looks very good.....even if it is illegal. Glad the Disney police didn't take you to Disney jail. Although....Disney jail doesn't sound too terrible.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #178
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Your resort pictures are really lovely. Everything is so pretty and calm. It was very relaxing to look at - and I needed something relaxing tonight. Sounds like you had a wonderful start to your day!

That waffle looks very good.....even if it is illegal. Glad the Disney police didn't take you to Disney jail. Although....Disney jail doesn't sound too terrible.
Glad you enjoyed those pictures! I was having an EXTREMEMLY bad day yesterday and decided to post these pictures...made me feel a lot better!!

I'm glad those Disney police didn't find me!! My luck Disney jail would be non-stop "Stitch's Great Escape"!

And I saw you're going to HDDR! I have GOT to get to your PTR but my next post should be on HDDR!! Funny it was Ohana and now HDDR!!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #179
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

My mom never sleeps in either. I think it's a mom thing. When we went to the Dominican, for a beach do nothing vacation, she was up at like 5:30am every day, just to claim our beach chairs. I am so not like that.

I just love all of the early morning pictures, but I know for a fact you will not be seeing any from me.

There is no such thing as excessive / unnecessary picture taking. Especially at Disney.

Ooohh, contraband waffle maker! I had no idea. You just gave me some new information.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #180
solana131
DIS Veteran

Love all the pics....ahhhhh, brings me right back

And I just had to comment on the pressure washer thing. Wow was that annoying! Do they really need to do that every single morning around the entire resort?? I mean, it is wonderful that they keep things so clean and I'm sure I would be one of the first people to complain if it was dirty, but every day? Maybe every other day would be okay....or just "spot cleaning". We were right across the courtyard from you in Building 2 on the end that is closest to Building 1. I loved that pretty fountain in front of us, but we could never sit and enjoy it because whenever it wasn't 195 degrees out, they were pressure washing. Really annoying.....

Okay, rant over

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: