Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #151
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I"m so excited that you all loved 'Ohana!!! It's one of the rare places that (IMO) actually lives up to the hype. We adored it, and like Keith, Bryan now wants to dine there every trip.

You got some really great photos at the Poly! It was always my dream resort, but I too am leaning more toward the BC now. We stayed at BWI on our honeymoon and loved everything about it. You can't beat that walk to Epcot and DHS!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the night. I hope you guys made it to Jellyrolls-we've always had a great time there.

I hope that all of you and your families are safe through the storm. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #152
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I'm on my phone so I hope this works! We spent two weeks without electricity during Katrina...I can't imagine doing that with your situation! Yikes!!!
It was not fun, I'll tell you that much. Thankfully, I had a microwaveable bottle sterilizer & we would hook up our microwave to the generator when we ran out of bottles & needed more cleans ones. Oh and it was a lot of fun getting to mop up my kitchen by lantern light after Reid had another vomiting episode. I wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
The town is Magnolia in Pike County. The Percy Quin Park lake is about five miles from my parent's house. It is pretty scary! My sister said the water is breaching all creeks and river beds right now. They are on higher ground but sometimes that doesn't mean much! Also friends in Mandeville, LA are being evacuated. They were given 90 minutes to get out. There has been so much rain! Not the way a little town hopes to be on national news!!
Ok....I know where that is. Poor things! I hope they're okay. Is your family staying put? I really hope they're okay.

It seems like Lake Pontchartrain & Lake Maurepas are both creating a lot of flooding situations. I didn't realize they were evacuating Mandeville. Man, I feel bad for those people. Are you familiar with Middendorf's Restaurant down in Manchac? I saw a picture on FB....they are flooding bad down there, too. Of course, it's so low down there. But still...I always feel bad for everyone who floods.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #153
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

First off, prayers for your family! I hope that everyone is safe and sound and that their homes don't suffer too much damage.

Back to the happy stuff....Disney. I love the Streetmosphere actors at Hollywood Studios. We saw those same guys doing another skit when we were there and we laughed so hard.

I'm so so so happy that you guys enjoyed Ohana. I sure hope that you can get an earlier ADR for when ya'll go in October. I have been saying that I'm going to try and make the bread pudding but haven't done it yet. I did try making the bread and it turned out horrible. But, in the recipes' defense, I can't bake any kind of bread to save my life.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #154
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Really glad your family is ok and hope you stay that way! Saw some of the flooding pictures on the news tonight. Oh my!! Praying your mom and other relatives stay safe as well. That water just seems to rise so quickly..........wow!

I knew it! I knew you would head for TOT! Seriously, since you all enjoy it so much I don't blame you! Pretty cool picture of the "ghost in the tree" too. How'd you do that? I also never knew about the back of TOT and Morocco. I'll be checking that out in January.

Glad to hear you enjoyed O'Hana. Would like to try dinner there sometime but in January we're doing breakfast which I'm also excited about. I agree with you about the Polynesian. It is a beautiful resort! Lots of us hope they build some DVC there after the GF addition.
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #155
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for your thoughts and kind words! It has been a somewhat stressful afternoon but it appears things are going to be okay at least for now with the dam! It has been weird flipping through every national channel and seeing your little stomping grounds having so much focus! It seems that had the dam broke then towns farther down the river would be flooded so it was reported that they were going to compromise the dam to prevent this but this would flood out 20-30 homes and a few businesses locally. Seems there were a lot of this and that going on between officials (imagine that!) but now the National Guard is working on some things so they can make a controlled break tomorrow or Saturday...all of that to say thankfully it doesn't appear that issue will affect my parents' house. The town flooding was beginning to recede some due to rains finally ending. Again, thankfully my parents live in a higher elevation and weren't threatened but my dad told me some sad stories (happy endings but sad none the less!)!! We had a sunset here! We are watching college football!! And now I am moving on to happy Disney stuff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I"m so excited that you all loved 'Ohana!!! It's one of the rare places that (IMO) actually lives up to the hype. We adored it, and like Keith, Bryan now wants to dine there every trip.

You got some really great photos at the Poly! It was always my dream resort, but I too am leaning more toward the BC now. We stayed at BWI on our honeymoon and loved everything about it. You can't beat that walk to Epcot and DHS!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the night. I hope you guys made it to Jellyrolls-we've always had a great time there.

I hope that all of you and your families are safe through the storm. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
I was so afraid Ohana wouldn't be as good as I had heard but it really was!! And when Keith gives his approval it must be good!!

Boardwalk was the first Deluxe I ever set foot in and fell in love immediately! Then later that trip I went to Poly and could not decide which of the two were my favorite. I'm like you now though, now, since we went to BC and I just really loved it!! So many choices!! Hopefully I can get the evening report up this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Ok....I know where that is. Poor things! I hope they're okay. Is your family staying put? I really hope they're okay.

It seems like Lake Pontchartrain & Lake Maurepas are both creating a lot of flooding situations. I didn't realize they were evacuating Mandeville. Man, I feel bad for those people. Are you familiar with Middendorf's Restaurant down in Manchac? I saw a picture on FB....they are flooding bad down there, too. Of course, it's so low down there. But still...I always feel bad for everyone who floods.
At first they were possibly going to have to evacuate when they "blew" the dam but then when that information came out as erroneous, they are good!

I love Middendorfs!! I have been there more times than I can count! That used to be our stopping place as we head to Saints games. I saw a picture from there also. So sad. It will take a while to dry out!

I think the Mandeville issues were due to a certain area. They live right on the water by Ponchetrain. That was another sudden rising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
First off, prayers for your family! I hope that everyone is safe and sound and that their homes don't suffer too much damage.

Back to the happy stuff....Disney. I love the Streetmosphere actors at Hollywood Studios. We saw those same guys doing another skit when we were there and we laughed so hard.

I'm so so so happy that you guys enjoyed Ohana. I sure hope that you can get an earlier ADR for when ya'll go in October. I have been saying that I'm going to try and make the bread pudding but haven't done it yet. I did try making the bread and it turned out horrible. But, in the recipes' defense, I can't bake any kind of bread to save my life.
Thanks so much! How did you guys fair? Some of Keith's co-workers were talking wind but I never heard much on the rain!

Those guys were so hilarious! We actually saw them later in the week and stopped again to watch...they were that good!

I really was excited after your review of Ohana from last year and it lived up to the hype!! I keep hoping for an October opening, I just keep checking! I cannot make bread very well at all but I do hope to try the bread pudding. Of course I always say I hope to make something and never do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Really glad your family is ok and hope you stay that way! Saw some of the flooding pictures on the news tonight. Oh my!! Praying your mom and other relatives stay safe as well. That water just seems to rise so quickly..........wow!

Thank you! Some of the pictures from the coastal areas are unbelievable! Some places were just getting back good from Katrina and flooded again!

I knew it! I knew you would head for TOT! Seriously, since you all enjoy it so much I don't blame you! Pretty cool picture of the "ghost in the tree" too. How'd you do that? I also never knew about the back of TOT and Morocco. I'll be checking that out in January.

I know!! When you commented I thought how transparent (or extremely clear) I am on my love of ToT!! That ghost picture is my own photographic secret..... They had the fog machines going and it was very mood setting! I couldn't resist snapping that picture and then it actually came out!

Glad to hear you enjoyed O'Hana. Would like to try dinner there sometime but in January we're doing breakfast which I'm also excited about. I agree with you about the Polynesian. It is a beautiful resort! Lots of us hope they build some DVC there after the GF addition.
We have eaten breakfast at Ohana a lot and love it!! The dinner was just as good only in a very different way!! The Poly is the one monorail resort I would want to stay at. The Contemporary is to modern for me with DVC and the GF is too stuffy, although I love going there and walking around!!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #156
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you familiar with Middendorf's Restaurant down in Manchac? I saw a picture on FB....they are flooding bad down there, too. Of course, it's so low down there. But still...I always feel bad for everyone who floods.
Speaking of Middendorf's

Some of the best fried catfish around! Well....it used to be! Sighhhh

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #157
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

All right, here we go. Getting all caught up!

Wow, that's crazy that a policeman pulled up when you were loading the car! That is a way to make you feel safe for sure.

Tolls are ridiculous. We paid one in France that was 14 euro!

Okay, I'll play the what if game, even though I know I'm late. I would pick the Grand Floridian Cafe. It's a really great location, the atmosphere is nice, and if you time it right, you can watch Wishes. (That might not be in the plan, but I'll got with it).

Gotta love the Beach Club. Great place to start.

Mmmm. Everything at Cape May looks good. That was one ADR I lost last year that I really wanted to get back but I couldn't when I switched our dates around.

Room ready at 7:45am! That's a score for sure.

I'm so excited for you having a F&W trip. You're going to have such a good time.

You're going to love staying at POP. It's a great resort and I do love the food court for sure.

Yay, Soarin'! Favorite ride at Epcot.

That Brave sand sculpture is so cool.

That fish and chip debate is so funny. Chips in England are fries. I constantly had to remember that when I was there. Oh people confusing things.

OMG you got stung by a bee! I would be freaking out. They terrify me.

OH DEAR GOD! You just freaked me out with that picture of the hornet. Ggggaaaahhhhhh!!!! I'm brushing myself off furiously right now.

That's awesome that you got in at Via Napoli on a walk up.

That pizza looks amazing!

Wow, look at Keith getting all park hopping crazy. It's slowly but surely sinking in.

I wish Harrison Ford was actually there too. Circa Raider's of the Lost Ark.

How is it out there in that newly discovered land mass? It's probably rough huh, being so new?

Streetmosphere is one of my favorite things at DHS. It's so much fun.

We used to hold our ankles on one of the roller coasters at Six Flags. It totally gives you a great amount of hang time.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed Ohana. In all my trips, we've never eaten dinner there before.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #158
solana131
DIS Veteran

Never before have I even wanted to go near O'Hanas (always been a Kona girl), but your pictures make me want to try it next time. I wonder if I can request a table off to the side and out of the craziness.....that's why we never wanted to go there.

Hope you and your family are all safe and sound. Has Isaac moved out of town yet? (Sorry, we don't get much news of it up here in ME).

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #159
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Speaking of Middendorf's

Poor Middendorf's. Makes me so sad anytime I see them flood from a bad storm. Hopefully, they'll be able to bounce back like they have in the past.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #160
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Glad you liked 'Ohana! We tried it for the first time on our trip as well. I agree about the pot stickers! They were definitely my favorite! Yum! I found the recipe for the bread pudding when we got back too. I'm hoping to give it a try sometime this month!!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #161
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Speaking of Middendorf's

That was one of the first pictures I saw... You are so right: Some of the best catfish around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
All right, here we go. Getting all caught up!

Wow, that's crazy that a policeman pulled up when you were loading the car! That is a way to make you feel safe for sure.

Definitely!!

Tolls are ridiculous. We paid one in France that was 14 euro!

A girl at work went to Switzerland a few weeks ago and was talking about the tolls! It was crazy!! The word "Toll Road" is becoming a bad word to me!!

Okay, I'll play the what if game, even though I know I'm late. I would pick the Grand Floridian Cafe. It's a really great location, the atmosphere is nice, and if you time it right, you can watch Wishes. (That might not be in the plan, but I'll got with it).

That wound up not being in the plan but I keep trying to find one more place that is just different! I am finding it hard to get things to fit into 4 full days! I guess I just need to plan another trip!!

Gotta love the Beach Club. Great place to start.

LOVED IT!! BC is a beautiful resort!!!

Mmmm. Everything at Cape May looks good. That was one ADR I lost last year that I really wanted to get back but I couldn't when I switched our dates around.

It was very good!! I actually considered it for a return visit in October but I am trying to get places not done before instead!

Room ready at 7:45am! That's a score for sure.

I was shocked! I think I asked her twice about it because I thought I heard her wrong!

I'm so excited for you having a F&W trip. You're going to have such a good time.

I have 54 days from today! I am so excited!! I keep looking over the checklist trying to plot out the "musts"!

You're going to love staying at POP. It's a great resort and I do love the food court for sure.

Glad to hear another positive! I hope to eat there and the AOA food court since they say it is good too!

Yay, Soarin'! Favorite ride at Epcot.

Oh yes!!

That Brave sand sculpture is so cool.

Those sand sculptures amaze me! I can barely make a single castle! It was very cool!!

That fish and chip debate is so funny. Chips in England are fries. I constantly had to remember that when I was there. Oh people confusing things.

So confusing! We should make it universal!! I get to confused as it is!!

OMG you got stung by a bee! I would be freaking out. They terrify me.

Me too! All summe rI have ran from bees! I never did that before!!

OH DEAR GOD! You just freaked me out with that picture of the hornet. Ggggaaaahhhhhh!!!! I'm brushing myself off furiously right now.

That thing looked fake! The stinger was so thick it was creepy! I took the picture and asked the guy to kindly remove it from my desk!!

That's awesome that you got in at Via Napoli on a walk up.

That pizza looks amazing!

The crowd levels were so low this day but I still wasn't sure if it would happen...glad it did!! That pizza was delicious!! I think of it every time I eat pizza at home now.

Wow, look at Keith getting all park hopping crazy. It's slowly but surely sinking in.

I think it is! You haven't seen anything yet with his Park Hopping, idea getting craziness!!

I wish Harrison Ford was actually there too. Circa Raider's of the Lost Ark.

Right! Definitely that circa!!

How is it out there in that newly discovered land mass? It's probably rough huh, being so new?

Yes it is pretty rough. Now we understand why we get stares when we say we're from Mississippi...we should have been saying Land Mass!!

Streetmosphere is one of my favorite things at DHS. It's so much fun.

I always want to stop but no one else did. I don't think they understood what I was getting at but now they do!! It is fun to stop and watch rather than running from here to there!

We used to hold our ankles on one of the roller coasters at Six Flags. It totally gives you a great amount of hang time.

We learned this trick in March and it was so cool! Love that hang time!!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed Ohana. In all my trips, we've never eaten dinner there before.

Oh you must try it!! I keep praying something opens up for October!
Wow that was some job catching up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Never before have I even wanted to go near O'Hanas (always been a Kona girl), but your pictures make me want to try it next time. I wonder if I can request a table off to the side and out of the craziness.....that's why we never wanted to go there.

Hope you and your family are all safe and sound. Has Isaac moved out of town yet? (Sorry, we don't get much news of it up here in ME).
I bet you could request a table away from the madness. Ours was in a quiet area. Ohana's was so good!

We made it through Isaac okay! Some weren't so lucky and thankfully my parents wound up being okay after some stressful moments. We had lots of limbs and leaf debris to pick up but that is really nothing! Finally it is sunny but HOT!! I don't know why but after a hurricane the humidity and heat jump up and we are swarmed with annoying little black "love" bugs! I guess it is that gulf "breeze" bringing it in! ME is a goal of mine to visit! The pictures always look so amazing!

Quote:
Poor Middendorf's. Makes me so sad anytime I see them flood from a bad storm. Hopefully, they'll be able to bounce back like they have in the past.
Me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Glad you liked 'Ohana! We tried it for the first time on our trip as well. I agree about the pot stickers! They were definitely my favorite! Yum! I found the recipe for the bread pudding when we got back too. I'm hoping to give it a try sometime this month!!
Ohana's lives up to the hype in our opinion! I had the recipe ingredients written down to get Saturday and left my list. Winged it and forgot items! So now the bread pudding must wait...was hoping to do it today!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #162
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

The Party Animals!!!

After stuffing ourselves senseless at Ohana's, we waddled to the monorail and went back to the resort via Magic Kingdom and the buses. Now it was still kind of early—6:30pm. MK had EMH PM so Madison and Chris planned to hit the EMH. Keith and I planned to go to Epcot and then to Jellyrolls.

What really happened?

First we head back to the resort

and since Madison could not wait to get to the room, she and I make a stop in the lobby for her to visit the restroom. While I wait, I take some pictures of my surroundings!

SCAT CATS

INSIDE THE REGISTRATION AREA

THE "COURTYARD" AREA FROM THE REGISTRATION AREA

Exiting the building, we head to our room...

THE POOL'S SLIDE

I wound up with a lot of pictures of this fountain and later you will begin to see why.

Continued in the next post...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #163
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post...

Back at the room…Keith wanted to rest for a while so he laid down and promptly fell asleep. Madison and Chris finally left for MK around 8pm while Keith was snoring but he heard them getting ready to leave. I decided to go to MK since he was sleeping…..but then he woke up. After a discussion, Madison and Chris head out and Keith and I decide to forgo Epcot and The Boardwalk/Jellyrolls. I really wanted to do that but I tried my best not to show my disappointment! Keith and I head to the boat dock and make our way to DTD.

For Madison and Chris’ part of the evening: they rode the three mountains and got crammed in by the crowds for the fireworks. I still have to teach them something about touring since they spent 70 minutes in line for Space Mtn!! Oh, and they missed the fireworks since they were in line for Space! They returned to the resort about 12:30pm so the PM EMH wasn’t much of a thrill for them. I think I need to go with them next time to show them the ropes!! Also they were supposed to take pictures for me to use in this TR…..Here are those pictures…….

Right my kids remembering to do that task? Actually they got several Photopass pictures but in the end we only had 20, even if I did a lot of designing and made more it wasn't worth the $$$$ to get the cd. They failed to hand over their own cameras as I had asked!

Oh wait! I found a couple of pictures Chris took with his phone:

So I kind of had that task taken care of!

Meanwhile Keith and I arrive at DTD with no real agenda.

We walk and walk and walk. We walk through Marketplace. We stopped briefly to watch some guy doing some type of dance contest with kids….bored we moved on. Plus it was beyond crowded and I do not like crowds!! We make our way to Pleasure Island…..boring again! Finally we make it to the West Side.

There was a guy playing a guitar and we stopped and listened for a while. He was very, very good.

Eventually we decide to leave…we are such party animals. Maybe I just didn’t know where to go and not be bored?? I need to investigate better next time! I had really planned on being at The Boardwalk and knew all about that!

We love Forrest Gump and I have seen pictures of the Jenny in other TRs so we make our way to Planet Hollywood.

I take a picture of The Jenny

and then I notice these trees across the way:

It isn’t good because it was so dark in that area but those little white dots were hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of white birds roosting!!!

We go to the bus stop and are in our room by 10:30pm…see we are wild and crazy party animals!!!!

Arriving back at the resort...

Then we called it a night!!

Next up: Sleep In day because we were all supposed to have been out LATE the night before! And aside from sleeping in and a dinner show, we have no other plans!!

Last edited by TinksThree; 09-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #164
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I'm so sorry that you didn't make it to the Boardwalk and Jellyrolls! At least it's super convenient to get to DTD from POFQ!

Poor kids should listen to their mom if they want to make the most of EMH! They probably enjoyed being off on their own though!

Your photos are making me miss POFQ! I really loved it there, but then I loved CBR and the BWI too I'm not sure if I'll ever have a favorite resort.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #165
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Awww, sorry you didn't get to go to Jellyrolls!

You'll definitely have to join the kids for EMHs next time! They need to learn how to make the most of that time.

Can't wait to hear how the next day panned out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: