Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #61
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I have to know how you got Soarin' on your iPhone. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that. Please tell me ..... and dumb it down because apparently, I am stooopid
Wish I could tell you, but I just have the song on my phone off of the Four Parks One World CD that we bought. Don't have it as a ringtone or anything...
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #62
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 21
We’re on a Boat

Our bus pulled into the main bus stop first on this journey. Apparently what time of day it is and which park you’re coming back from determines the order in which the bus stops at the different terminals. We stopped at Fulton’s General Store to pick up our Pluto plush from Epcot.

This store was great! They have a really nice pin board, and we did lots of trades while we were there. I wish I had taken pictures of each of our pins as we traded them, but I didn’t… And now they’re all packed away for our move so I can’t take pictures now. Maybe after the move I can take some pictures of all the pins we ended up with as a special post.

We made our way back to our room.

Here’s our room number!

Apparently I did take a few pictures of our pin lanyards as we went. Wish this were a little clearer.

We weren’t back in the room for long. We just took enough time to drop off some of our stuff and headed back out the door.

We made our way back to the main building and then back to the boat dock.

The boat to Downtown Disney pulled up and we got on board.

This was a nice little ride. It took slightly longer than I thought it would, but the views were great.

After our resort, the boat had to stop at French Quarter to let a few more people on, and we got our first glimpse of the Sea Serpent slide that we had seen so many pictures of in the past.

We started moving again and passed by the Treehouse Villas.

This is where I stayed on my two big family trips when I was young. At the time I didn’t even think much of how lucky we were to be staying in our own treehouse separated from everyone else, but I have vivid memories of how cool it was to stay here. While it’s not exactly a themed resort in the same way as, say, the Polynesian, this resort is something uniquely Disney. You really feel like you’re in a treehouse somewhere in the wilderness. It’s very Swiss Family Robinson-esque, but with all the modern amenities of a hotel. I’d love to stay there again. We caught our first glimpse of Downtown Disney.

I’m sad that Characters in Flight has been taken down, at least temporarily, because we never got to do it! I’d love to take that ride on a future trip, so I hope it comes back.

We pulled up next to the Empress Lily, aka Fulton’s Crab House, and our boat docked.

The first store we went to in Downtown Disney was Disney’s Days of Christmas.

We needed to get an ornament for this trip. There were several that we wanted, but the logical option was—of course—Duffy!

Next, we went to the Art of Disney. I love everything in that store, and would love to have Disney art all over our future house. We really liked the pumpkin sculptures at the entrance to Disneyland last year, and here were some small reproductions.

We moved on into Goofy’s Candy Company.

We got a marshmallow wand.

In Disneyland, our absolute favorite snacks were Tigger Tails from Pooh’s Corner, which were similar to these marshmallow wands but included a layer of caramel and lots of orange sprinkles. This wand was at least the next best thing, and was delicious! Plus at a value of just under $5.00, it was one of the best values for a snack credit.

I love these chocolate bars. We just love the monorail announcement.

Now that we were fully sated and riding the first of many sugar highs, we left Goofy’s.

It was time for the next exciting stop in Downtown Disney.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #63
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway View Post
Wish I could tell you, but I just have the song on my phone off of the Four Parks One World CD that we bought. Don't have it as a ringtone or anything...
Is that an MP3 ??? I thought the 4 Parks One World came in only CD form. Maybe I need to double check ......
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #64
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your TR. I have to say I think it was great that you stopped to recognize Alex for the great job he did. So many people seem to find things to complain about instead!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #65
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Is that an MP3 ??? I thought the 4 Parks One World came in only CD form. Maybe I need to double check ......
You're right. As far as I know, you can only get Four Parks One World on CD, which is what we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
Really enjoying your TR. I have to say I think it was great that you stopped to recognize Alex for the great job he did. So many people seem to find things to complain about instead!
Glad you're enjoying reading! We tried to do our best to recognize as many great cast members as we could to Disney on this trip. The folks at guest relations always seem so happy to hear good comments instead of bad.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #66
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 22
A Hair-Raising Tale

Our next stop was the Little Miss Matched store where Tracy found this purse that she still wants to get some time.

We posed with our friends from Winnie the Pooh.

Next we went to the pin trading store and traded with a few cast members. Apparently at certain times of the day, there’s an entire pin trading wall at that store, but I guess it wasn’t open when we were there…

At Once Upon a Toy, there was this large Duffy to pose with!!

Now, even though we weren’t really hungry, we really wanted to go to Ghirardelli because it’s absolutely delicious.

We ordered a sundae with chocolate chip ice cream and milk chocolate fudge.

As I said, delicious.

Our last stop in Downtown Disney was World of Disney.

We wanted both of these pairs of shirts.

And we liked this Duffy display.

Now came the conclusion of a very important mission that we had started on the first day of the trip. Tracy had noticed that all of the little girls who went to the Bibbiti Boppiti Boutique came out wearing a certain hair clip on their princess bun. She wanted to buy that clip for herself, but after asking at all of the merchandise stores in the Magic Kingdom, it seemed that none of them sold it. We tried again at World of Disney, and once again came up short.

Our final idea was to go into the Bibbiti Boppiti Boutique and ask if they would be able to sell us one there. We waited in line behind several little girls who were waiting to check in for their appointments, and when we got up to the desk, Tracy asked about the clip. The cast member was a little confused by the question—guess they don’t get it very often—but she directed us into the Boutique where they had a basket of them on the counter, available for purchase! Hooray! But now we had to wait as family after family got to go to the front of the line ahead of us to pay the fortunes they owed for their daughters’ makeovers. As each little girl finished with her makeover, she got to cut in front of us, so a half hour later, we were still waiting to buy that blasted clip.

Finally, a nice family saw what was happening and told the cashier cast member to let us go in front of them. She rang up the clip, which hadn’t had a price tag on it. It came up as $10. Yikes. Oh well, we figured, we’d been on this mission for a long time, so we weren’t about to give up now. We handed over our money and got out of there. Here’s the result of our persistence. Ta da!

After all that excitement, we had exhausted our time allotted for Downtown Disney, and we needed to get moving to make our dinner reservation, so we started to make our way toward the buses. We stopped to pose for a few pictures of course.

The bus stops in Downtown Disney are a pain to get to. There’s a certain path you have to take to get to them directly, but it’s not really logical. I feel like we always end up being able to see the buses but getting stuck behind a wall or a fence, or being separated by a multi-lane street with no crosswalks. Eventually, however, we got there.

A bus pulled up for our next destination. It was a resort we were very excited to check out and a restaurant we were hungry to try!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #67
oOJulieOo
Mouseketeer

That hair clip is great! Your persistence paid off.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #68
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 23
‘Ohana Means Family

Our bus pulled up to this beautiful resort.

If we could stay at any deluxe resort, I think our first choice would be the Polynesian. Obviously, any deluxe resort would be a big step up from what we’re used to, but between its proximity to the Magic Kingdom and the awesome theming, the Poly goes at the top of our dream list. We went into the lobby and got hit with that great “musty water smell” that permeates the whole resort. We were still a few minutes early, so we made a stop in the Bou-Tiki.

We walked around the lobby for a few minutes.

Finally, we made our way upstairs to check in for our reservation at ‘Ohana.

We were given our pager and told to wait a few minutes, so we took a seat.

Tracy found several leis down in the kids’ area of the lobby, so she snatched one.

We waited about five minutes before we were seated. We had hoped for a seat by the window, but oh well.

‘Ohana is one of the only restaurants that can handle huge groups of people at once, so there was a wedding rehearsal dinner going on behind Tracy with well over 20 guests.

Our server greeted us and told us how the meal would work, and then she brought us our first course: Pineapple Coconut Bread.

This was really good, though we had to keep ourselves from eating too much. Next was the salad course—complete with mango poppy-seed dressing—which was also tasty. Before the skewers start coming out, they bring you a hearty plate of Honey Coriander Chicken Wings and Pork Fried Dumplings.

These chicken wings were one of my favorite parts of the meal. The skewers came out next. I wasn’t able to get any really good pictures of them because they just give you as many pieces of meat as you want, but here’s a few of the things from our plates. The different meats were: Oak Grilled Chicken,
Asian Barbecued Pork Loin, Marinated Sirloin Steak, and Spicy Grilled Peel-n-Eat Shrimp.

There was also this delicious side of Egg Noodles (tossed in a peanut sauce with pineapple) and
Stir-Fried Vegetables.

My thoughts on the food were that it was all very tasty! It all had those slightly sweet marinades and sauces that make it specifically Polynesian, but I like that flavor. The chicken and steak were probably my favorites along with the egg noodles. I know Tracy really enjoyed the shrimp.

We were right in the middle of the restaurant, so we had a front-row seat for all of the evening’s entertainment. The ukulele player was great.

This also meant we were front and center for all of the coconut races and everything else the kids do at ‘Ohana. It certainly wasn’t a quiet, romantic atmosphere, but luckily that’s not what we were expecting. The restaurant is a rollicking good time and we had fun.

They followed up our meals with hot towels, which we savored because this was one of the few places we encountered on our trip where the air conditioning was on too high and we were cold!

The final course at ‘Ohana was easily the most exciting—Bread Pudding with Bananas and Caramel Sauce served a la mode.

This was DELICIOUS. We were so sad we couldn’t handle eating all of it because we had gotten so full on all the meats. Practically once a week since going to ‘Ohana, Tracy talks about how she’s craving more of this bread pudding, and I can’t blame her!

We were on a bit of a tight schedule at the end of dinner, because we wanted to catch Wishes from the beach, so we quickly paid and headed outside.

Overview of ‘Ohana Dining Experience
Service: Great! We were wary about ‘Ohana because we had read complaints that people had trouble with it taking forever to get seated and then only having the servers come around with each skewer once. We had neither of these problems at all. Our server and her assistant were very attentive and offered us more of each meat several times. 5/5
Atmosphere: The restaurant is certainly loud. Obviously, it’s a family place, so this is what we were expecting, but it’s still worth noting. 3.5/5
Food: We really enjoyed all of the foods here. Everything was unique and yummy. 4/5

First Visit?: I had been here when I was 8 years old, but it was Tracy’s first visit.
Will Return?: Yes!

We walked by the volcano pool outside—everything about this resort is just so cool!

We got to the beach about 5 minutes before Wishes was set to start.

It was a little late for us to hope for one of the beach chairs, so we grabbed a spot along the curb.

The show started and the music was piped into the speakers surrounding us. Talk about an interesting vantage point for Wishes. We have watched the show before from all over the Magic Kingdom as well as from the California Grill, but this was one of my favorite spots.

You feel both like you’re a part of the action and as though it’s in a whole other world just beyond the serene setting of the beach. I highly recommend trying it out if you’ve never done so before.

After Wishes, the beach cleared out very quickly, so we were able to grab a spot on a glider swing to sit for a while. We just relaxed for about a half hour enjoying the calm. While we were sitting there, several of the floats from the Electrical Water Pageant went by in the distance. We were pretty sure after leaving the beach that we would just go back to the hotel, but when we got to the monorail, we had another idea.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-03-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #69
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

saw your post on Lines, hope to get caught up on your report by the end of the day.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #70
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOJulieOo View Post
That hair clip is great! Your persistence paid off.
The things we do for Disney fashion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
saw your post on Lines, hope to get caught up on your report by the end of the day.
Great! Glad to have a Liner on board

Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #71
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 24
At the End of the Day

I had thought the Magic Kingdom was supposed to close at 10:00 on this day, but when we were on the monorail, I re-checked the Lines app and it was actually open till 11:00. It was about 10:40 when the monorail pulled into the Magic Kingdom station. Rather than go toward the buses, we decided to go into the park! We knew we wouldn’t have time to ride anything, but we hadn’t gotten very many Photopass pictures taken on our other Magic Kingdom evening.

We made our way down Main Street.

I just love all the castle colors.

Right as we made our way across the bridge to Tomorrowland, the park closed for the evening.

It was a nice little unplanned side trip in the end! We made our way back down Main Street and out the gates. Luckily, since Wishes had been at 10:00, there weren’t that bad of crowds an hour later, so we were able to get seats on the bus. French Quarter’s bus came first, so we hopped aboard. We walked through the grounds and everything was so quiet at night.

We got back to our room, watched some Stacy, and got ready for bed. Little did we know the next day would hold one of the most exciting surprises of our trip!

Overview of May 21, 2012

Highs
- All of the animals at Animal Kingdom!
- Wrapping up the hair clip saga successfully
- Wishes from the beach of the Polynesian
- Getting into the Magic Kingdom for a few minutes before closing

Lows
- Feeling sick on Everest
- Addax in the road

Weather
High 80s and Sunny

Food of the Day
Bread Pudding from ‘Ohana

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #72
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

May 22, 2012

Chapter 25
The World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

We started off the morning with some more coffee maker oatmeal. Mousekeeping didn’t bring us more coffee cups the day before though, so we had to make it in the water glasses…

It was another rope drop day and this time we were heading back to the Magic Kingdom!

We had never made it to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop before, so we’d never gotten to see the Welcome Show. This time, our bus pulled up with about 5 minutes to spare, and we had just made it past the gates when the mayor and his merry band of dancers came out.

What a great show! We had seen videos of it, but there’s nothing like being in that environment and being welcomed “to the place where dreams come true.” Then the train comes around the track with all the characters and the lucky family of the day.

I miss the welcome shows at all the other parks. We had seen all of them before they were discontinued, and they just added another touch of Disney magic to rope drop. Maybe someday they’ll be replaced. We raced down Main Street with the rest of the crowds.

We were among the front of the pack of people starting in Fantasyland.

The land was practically empty as we came around the side of the castle.

Our first stop, which had no wait at all, was Peter Pan’s Flight.

We sadly waved goodbye to Nana (I just don’t get why she can’t come with us) and we journeyed into Neverland. I love this ride. It’s the epitome of the classic Disney dark ride. I can hardly believe it only lasts two minutes because it feels like you travel so far. Fantasyland is filled with so much pure magic, and flying in our pirate ship was a great way to start our day.

Next up was Snow White’s Scary Adventures.

This ride had less than a week left before it closed, so we had to be sure to ride it a couple times before it was gone. We had actually bade farewell to Snow White on our last trip, almost two years prior, because we already knew as of then that it was set to close. They really kept it open as long as possible though, and we were glad for a final chance to go on it again.

Fantasyland was still eerily empty after our first two attractions.

We thought about going on Dumbo before the line got long, but by the time we reached Storybook Circus, it was already at 15 minutes, and since we had done it on the first day, we didn’t want to wait again. We did, however, get another peek over the wall at New Fantasyland construction.

We rounded the corner out of Fantasyland and into Tomorrowland, and saw our next ride, The Tomorrowland Speedway.

The line for this is always a little too long considering the ride that it leads up to, but at this time of day it was only about ten minutes.

Tracy is always our driver on this ride. She’s a speed demon.

While this ride is fun, it can’t hold a candle to Autopia in Disneyland. We loved how the ride there went through all different fun environments, like through a forest and by the water.

We pulled back into the station after our ride.

Since we hadn’t gotten any Fastpasses yet, we went over to Space Mountain. I wasn’t planning to ride again this trip—didn’t know if my neck could handle it—but Tracy got one for later.

Next, we got an urgent call from Star Command, so we rushed across Tomorrowland and got ready for our next ride.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #73
laur roo
Mouseketeer

I found your TR last week, and I have been slowly catching up with it. Looks like you guys were having so much fun!!! Can't wait to read the rest!

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My PTR: 9 trips out of 10 - A quick 3.5 day PTR - Jan 2012
My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #74
vassar36
Mouseketeer

great updates!!

BLT March 2014
AKL/VWL June 2013 BWV/VWL Nov 2012 AKV March 2012 BCV June 2011
POFQ-March 2010 , VWL -March 2009 POP- April 2008 WL - July 2007 POP- May 2006 Contempary-1970-1980's FW- in the 1980's
Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #75
bean24
Earning My Ears

Really enjoying your report so far. We are staying at POR in Oct and looking forward to the DD boat ride.

Me DH DS (2)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: