Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #61
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPotatoHead425 View Post
I guess we're the oddballs here.. my DH and I are young (well he's early 30's and I'm late 20's) but we've never really "hung out" with people our own age, we have always gotten along better with older people (I guess we're just old school folks) and we got set at a table with a couple who couldn't speak english and two girls who were party animals... it was awkward to say the least because one of them was loud mouthed and so rude to the waiters and the other couple just stared off into space most of the time...

I hate the fact that they go by our age, because it just doesn't fit our personalities! But I feel like it would be weird to request "Gee, can we sit with old people next time?!"
I know exactly how you feel, although DH and myself are now the "old" people. When I travelled to Greece with my boyfriend, I was 29 and we got along great and hung out with a retired couple. We both never laughed so hard or had such a good time as we did with that couple. You can sit with us any time.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #62
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygalterio View Post
This sounds very similar to a situation we had on the WB 2008 Panama Cruise. A few of the details I remember are a little different, but not overly so.
Interesting, I guess there will always be problems when more the 50 % of the ship is return cruisers. We had the Castaway Club reception on Deck 9 and 10 and Captain Tom joked that he was afraid the ship would sink having 90% of the ships passengers all in one place at once.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #63
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

We were on PCC 3.0 and while all Dis-ers were seated together, DH and I were seated with other Dis-ers we didn't know.

What a great match! We were three couples all sailing without kids and one solo guy! 4 of the 7 of us were teachers and all had a mutual love for Disney.

Worked out great for us and I have an anti-social DH!

The matching is probably all done by computer but I like to think of someone actually doing this at Disney. Sitting in a cubicle, going over passenger lists....making mock-ups of seating arrangements a'la Monica from Friends. That would be a job that's cool to say you have: "Oh, I do seating arrangements for dinners on Disney ships!"

On our next cruise (cross our fingers!) we'll be too big of a party to seat with other people. I have to say, I think I'll miss it!

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #64
Alfiebookshop
Earning My Ears

This was our only reservation for a first cruise in June. We were really uptight about sharing a table being a very private and reserved couple. Disney, however did a great job and we shared the table with 2 lovely couples. We were all very different but somehow we just really got on. It was a pleasure meeting these new people.
Alfiebookshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #65
Disney Lifer
Earning My Ears

not our experience

We certainly didn't find our table mates to be the perfect match. We only lasted about 3 minutes at our table. My family had 2 younger children (3 and 2) and the second we walked up to our table the mother at the table made a snarky remark about how she already raised her kids and had no interest in sitting next to us. It wasn't something she said quietly to her obnoxious teenagers or husband or even the restaurants manager, it was said out loud for us to hear. We promptly found management and received our own table, which we were quite happy with, since our kids got plenty of special attention from our new server.
Disney Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #66
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Lifer View Post
We certainly didn't find our table mates to be the perfect match. We only lasted about 3 minutes at our table. My family had 2 younger children (3 and 2) and the second we walked up to our table the mother at the table made a snarky remark about how she already raised her kids and had no interest in sitting next to us. It wasn't something she said quietly to her obnoxious teenagers or husband or even the restaurants manager, it was said out loud for us to hear. We promptly found management and received our own table, which we were quite happy with, since our kids got plenty of special attention from our new server.
Wow, what a rude woman. You made the right choice by requesting a new table.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #67
Disneygal19
I love ºoº

I wish I had known you could ask to move tables as myself my sister both in our 20s and my mother were seated with a group of same age who sat whispering and laughing to each other while their 23 yr old colored on the tablecloth!!
Disneygal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #68
lesroi
Glad to see it is up and running
That sure is a kick in the pants!
MY DAD makes the best yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie03 View Post
You all are very encouraging to let my family be "open" to having tablemates assigned to us again.

On our last cruise before we started cruising Disney we were put with, shall we say, a very incompatable couple for our tablemates, and on our subsequent Disney cruises we have requested 4-tops (except when travelling with friends).

I should have known Disney magic would come into play here and so now i will set upon convincing my DH to try this out again!

You sound like me! I am starting to feel bad that I requested us to be seated alone. Our last table match was really not on the mark and I was worried about a 14-night cruise with a similar match. Maybe I should drop our request. These posts have me hopeful!

Tracy
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #69
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesroi View Post
You sound like me! I am starting to feel bad that I requested us to be seated alone. Our last table match was really not on the mark and I was worried about a 14-night cruise with a similar match. Maybe I should drop our request. These posts have me hopeful!

Tracy
We were SOOOO glad we had table mates for our 14 day cruise. I love my husband and son, but 3 meals a day for 14 days was really going to add up to just too much togetherness. We needed fresh conversation blood. Hehe. At home we love having dinner together and talking about our day, but here we were together for most of the day so I pictured long conversations of "remember today on the beach? That was fun" "yep it was" says ths other. "remember that dolphin?". Response "the one we talked about at lunch? Yep"

Having another family to compare activities with and talk over diner with was often the highlight of our day- especially sea days!
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #70
DumboFan
Mouseketeer

Finally had great tablemates!! Mom & 2 daughters from Cali along with her mom & brother from Hawaii. We rode down in the elevator the first night & once we sat down it was like we had known them forever!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #71
dday2022
Mouseketeer

Our last cruise (Jul 28 - Aug 4) eastern was the first cruise out of seven where we had our own table, a four topper. Boy did we miss having table mates. By the end of the cruise we really needed other adults to have a conversation with.

Also let me say table numbers above 90 are bad in the Royal Court restaurant, you are in your own little room where you are cut off from the rest of the restaurant.
dday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #72
runner_princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Run Long View Post
I know exactly how you feel, although DH and myself are now the "old" people. When I travelled to Greece with my boyfriend, I was 29 and we got along great and hung out with a retired couple. We both never laughed so hard or had such a good time as we did with that couple. You can sit with us any time.
I would love an older couple to sit with! DH and I have an 11-year age difference. On the Dream last year, we were put at a table with two other couples, both in their early twenties, all of whom were college students ready to party. I was 25, and had been working full time for 4 years; DH was 36. They were super friendly, and spent a lot of time partying with each other, but we just didn't have anything in common with them. I wish I could ask to matched by DH's age, not mine!
2010 Wine and Dine Half: 2:56
2011 Princess Half: 2:40 2012 Princess Half, 2:38
runner_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #73
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
As cheesy as it sounds, I think making connections with people from different walks of life and different cultures is what really breaks down barriers and changes perceptions and we love how dcl gave us the oppurtunity to introduce our son to that concept. Okay that was cheesy
No it's not! It's beautiful!

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #74
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

We've had hit & miss with our table mates, but usually prefer a 2-person table.

Not sure how they pair you - sometimes we've been with similar people, sometimes not.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #75
beckybowler
Earning My Ears

My husband and I are really not that social in unfamiliar settings. I was very nervous about being seated with other people on our cruise. We ended up with another family from California with two kids around my two kids ages. We ended up spending a lot of time on the cruise with them while our kids hung out. It was fantastic and we will treasure the time we spent together bonding with another couple. We just don't do that it seems!
French Quarter 2012
Coronado Springs 2013
Jan 14 2012, First Disney Cruise!!!!! Magic Eastern Carribean
Jan 19, 2013 Disney Fantasy Cruise Western Carribean
beckybowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: