Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
niknakk
Mouseketeer

DBF an I are going on the Dream to the Bahamas for 4 nights on Dec. 9th I am 19 and DBF will be 21. I hope they seat us with people who will match us but now I am worried there won't be many people in our demographic and we will be seated with families with young children. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against families but would rather be seated with people like us. Any younger adults been on the dream before? What's your epxoerence
Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #32
mama2ellie
Mouseketeer

We have been on 4 Disney cruises. 3 we were concierge, and always had our own table. The non-concierge cruise, we were seated with another family with 3 children. The older two were the same age as our older two. The interesting part is the youngest child was a girl with food allergies and special needs. Our youngest has food allergies and special needs. I didn't specify her special needs (and neither did they) in our reservation. Both families had cruised before--I wonder if Disney makes notes on the kids?
mama2ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2ellie View Post
We have been on 4 Disney cruises. 3 we were concierge, and always had our own table. The non-concierge cruise, we were seated with another family with 3 children....
Is this normal procedure to place concierge at their own table?
Do most concierge request to eat alone?
Weird.

DCL is a serious data miner for details related to table matching.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiska2009 View Post
I will say, I think tablemate matching is one of the neat things about cruising. Now, I've never done a Disney cruise (so excited for my first!) but I have done two Carnival cruises and I think they must just use demographics to match you up.
On our Disney cruises (2) we've gotten a table by ourselves, but my experience with other cruise lines has been similar -- based on demographics. Sometimes it works wonderfully, sometimes less so.

DH and I went on our first cruise (on Carnival) the first summer after we were married. We were seated with three other couples who were either honeymooners or newlyweds. Although we were all pretty different, we had a great time together and it was fun to meet new people.

Our second cruise (on RCCL) was DH and me with my sister and BIL. (My sister married DH's best friend.) I was excited to see who we'd be seated with. I was expecting that they'd put us down as two couples traveling together and seat us with other couples. However, I think they must have put us down as "family" traveling together. We were seated with another family -- mother, aunt, two adult daughters. All four of them were looking to drink and hook up. It wasn't a particularly good match.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
dday2022
Mouseketeer

For 5 of our Disney Cruises we've had remarkable table mates, DD still maintains communication with one of her friends she met 27 months ago. Most of the time it has been similarly sized families with children approximately the same age as our daughter.

The one time my DW and I cruised as a couple only was a little unusual. There were 3 other couples at the table with us.

One was a typical honeymoon couple, we didn't see much of them.

One was a stereotypical couple from Japan, it seemed they spoke limited english and wanted to photograph every plate put in front of them.

The third couple was a nice enough couple that had an unusual quirk, only one of them spoke, and he would refer to his partner in the third person. We would ask how their day was and the one who spoke would say "We did [whatever] and he didn't care for it, or he really liked it". I don't think that we discovered the partners name until the final night of the cruise, it was like being seated with Penn and Teller, except it was Penn and "He".

It's going to be interesting to see how seating this cruise works out with DD 10 and DS 2.

Last edited by dday2022; 07-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.
dday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #36
kristie03
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

You all are very encouraging to let my family be "open" to having tablemates assigned to us again.

On our last cruise before we started cruising Disney we were put with, shall we say, a very incompatable couple for our tablemates, and on our subsequent Disney cruises we have requested 4-tops (except when travelling with friends).

I should have known Disney magic would come into play here and so now i will set upon convincing my DH to try this out again!

DL - Apr. 1992/Off Property - May 1996/Caribbean Beach - Nov. 1997, Feb. 2004, May 2006/Port Orleans Riverside - Apr. 2009, Jan. 2010/SSR - Mar 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2012/BLT - Jul. 2010, Nov. 2010, June 2011, June 2012/AKV Jambo - Apr. 2011/Beach Club - Oct 2011/BWV - Sept 2012//BCV - Dec 2012/Disney Dream - Nov. 2011, Jan 2013, Aug 2013/Disney Fantasty - Mar. 2012 (MV)/Disney Magic - Jul. 2012
kristie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #37
SCMouseFans
Earning My Ears

On our first cruise, on the Dream in November, we were a family of 3 (me, DH and our son who was almost 2). We were seated with an older couple traveling with their 3 1/3 year old granddaughter. They were very nice, and my son was fascinated with their granddaughter and she enjoyed being the "big girl" at the table. Her grandparents were veteran cruisers and told us about many fantastic ports they've seen. We really enjoyed talking to them.

On our most recent cruise, the Fantasy last week, we were intially seated at an 8-top table, and would have been seated with a family of 5. About ten minutes into dinner, when that family had still not arrived, the restaurant manger approached us and offered us a 4-top table which we accepted and we were immediately moved. That family was consistently 20-30 minutes late to dinner every night, so I'm glad we were moved.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #38
aymekae
Mouseketeer

One cruise so far, one excellent set of table mates! Well, there were 3 couples including us, and a brother/sister we didn't see or hear from all that often (the sister was often drinking or "sleeping it off" according to her brother! Why she chose Disney for her booze cruise is beyond me, but she did choose it herself!)

But we found so many similarities between us 3 couples it was uncanny. 2 of us have so far been unable to have kids. All the wives had some sort of social anxiety that makes it hard for us to make new friends, but once we established that, we were all totally fine! 2 husbands were in law enforcement, and my DH wanted to be (he just got a job as a security officer for a federal agency, so pretty close). They were also the charismatic side of each relationship. We all had geeky aspects that we all could relate to. One couple lives only a few hours from us, and we've already met up with them once since last December. I could go on. We were instant friends the first night, and loved catching each other up on our days and getting to know each other. We even pre-booked the same excursion as one. We had second seating, so we'd all go to the adult shows afterwards together, and had a blast. We keep in contact on FB, and we're trying to coordinate our next cruise together, and other possible visits.

Anyway, there was so much similar between us that we often wondered at Disney's methods in table mate matching. We decided that A) their website must have installed spyware on our computers and B) the cruise document package must have had a hidden camera/microphone.

Or I guess it could be Disney's MAGIC.

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #39
xiphoid76
Mouseketeer

As a gay couple I was very nervous about meeting potentially bad table mates.
I don't know how Disney did it, but at our table were 2 lesbians celebrating their honeymoon and a very liberal heterosexual couple that we are still friends with and meeting up in Disney again in January.
I am hoping for the same kind of magic in January on our next cruise!
xiphoid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #40
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

I couldn't agree more. We went on the MR cruise in April without kids. We wound up at a table with a gay couple and a very interesting guy traveling solo. The guys we met were so fun. We enjoyed dining with them and the conversations were great. Admittedly, we're very socially liberal. If this is something that concerns you, I don't believe it would be inappropriate to let DCL know. We are actually do that for the opposite reason.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
As a gay couple I was very nervous about meeting potentially bad table mates.
I don't know how Disney did it, but at our table were 2 lesbians celebrating their honeymoon and a very liberal heterosexual couple that we are still friends with and meeting up in Disney again in January.
I am hoping for the same kind of magic in January on our next cruise!
I can see why you would be uneasy some people can be judgemental and that could ruin a cruise.

On our last cruise this family didnt like us (i am super extrovert) and then never showed up again for a meal. The only part that bothered me was they didnt tell the head server or anyone so we waited two nights to give them time to show up.

I did have great table mates a couple of cruusea ago all couples at a 8 person table it was great everyone was chatty.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
mama2ellie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Is this normal procedure to place concierge at their own table?
Do most concierge request to eat alone?
Weird.

DCL is a serious data miner for details related to table matching.
We have never made a request regarding seating, so I assume it is standard for concierge to be at their own table.
mama2ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #43
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmahokie
On our June cruise we were matched up perfectly based on the criteria mentioned so far: Both families from same state, both had sons around 13, daughters around 8. The only slight issue: the other family's adults didn't drink at all, while my wife and I drank A LOT! Actually the other couple was "cool" about it, but I felt like a lush. Didn't stop me though! Maybe DCL should put alocholic consumption preferences on a questionnaire!
Bahahaha

This is how my husband and I feel when we travel with my sister!! Not that she makes us feel that way it's just we are always the only ones!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #44
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I don't think they used any "magic" on us. OUr first cruise, we are a family of 5, we were sat with a family with one child, no where near our kids age. They were so quiet, they almost refused to talk, and if we talked amongst ourselves it seemed rude, it was very uncomfortable. The 2nd time was jut me and DH, they sat us with a woman traveling with her 12 year old daughter who thought that she should be the center of attention at the table. No more table mates for us.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #45
Bunless
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmahokie View Post
The only slight issue: the other family's adults didn't drink at all, while my wife and I drank A LOT! Actually the other couple was "cool" about it, but I felt like a lush. Didn't stop me though! Maybe DCL should put alocholic consumption preferences on a questionnaire!
After our last cruise, I started wishing for that on a questionnaire.
Of the eight adults at our table, I was the only one who was drinking. I had two glasses of wine and a port with each dinner, and I felt like such a lush while everyone else was drinking milk and shirley temples.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: