Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #91
jdemwe
Earning My Ears

My family has always requested and received our own table at dinner; except one time and it turned out fantastic.

My family consisted of 5 people, my grandmother in her seventies, my parents in their early fifties, and my girlfriend at the time (now wife) who were in our early twenties. Disney put us at a table with a family of three; a husband and wife in their early fifties and their son who was in his early twenties. I assume they matched us with a similarly aged family with no kids. We also both lived in the Mid-West.

It was a 14 night cruise and we all ate dinner in the main dining room every night. By the end of the trip we were great friends. It has been over six years now and we still email each other often. They have moved down to Orlando, where we happen to be a few times a year , so we get see them a few times a year. They came to my wife’s and my wedding and my family went to their son’s wedding. They are great people who we really enjoy.

It must have been the Disney magic, because they matched us with great tablemates.
jdemwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #92
Kelly867
Earning My Ears

When and where do we make our request for a table alone, not that we're antisocial, but this is our very first vacation without the kids in over a decade and we would really love to have a table to ourselves

Kelly867 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #93
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly867
When and where do we make our request for a table alone, not that we're antisocial, but this is our very first vacation without the kids in over a decade and we would really love to have a table to ourselves
We request one when we make our reservation with Disney.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #94
dmi188
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly867 View Post
Just call DCL and ask, if you haven't done so already. Or if you booked thru a TA, have them call right away.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #95
Guineveree
Landing in a Field of Dreams

2 cruises with table mates, couples like us (mid-40s-50, no kids). Total disaster. I won't go in details, but it was just bad. I felt like I had to be polite and make small talk because this is what you're supposed to do in polite society.

I was to the point where I started looking into other cruise lines because I didn't want to go on a vacation and dread dinner time. That sounded counterintuitive to the concept of vacation.

This time we asked for a table for 2. We were not sure our request would be honored, but we kept our fingers crossed. It was night and day! My husband and I could relax, enjoy ourselves, not feeling contrived into conversing with strangers just "'cause."

We have placed the same request for our incoming cruises and am keeping my fingers crossed!!

Guineveree

Guineveree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #96
Kelly867
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the replies
I will call and put in the request, though we are only a couple weeks from sailing so it might be too late. We've always travelled with 4 or more people so always have been sat alone. Ill request and if its not possible, then we'll dine with others, thanks once again for the info

Kelly867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #97
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineveree View Post
2 cruises with table mates, couples like us (mid-40s-50, no kids). Total disaster. I won't go in details, but it was just bad.
Aww c'mon! You won't give us a few TINY details?

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #98
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Enabler View Post
We are looking forward to our next cruise but scared that since their are 5 of us (including my in-laws) that we will not get anymore table mates
One of our cruises was just the five of us in my family (me, my husband, and our three children). We were seated at a table for 8 with a woman and her two kids.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #99
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygal19 View Post
I wish I had known you could ask to move tables as myself my sister both in our 20s and my mother were seated with a group of same age who sat whispering and laughing to each other while their 23 yr old colored on the tablecloth!!
FYI, I found on our on cruise last month that you are allowed to color on the tablecloths with crayons. Shocked me! I saw a boy coloring all over the tablecloth at a table nearby and made a comment about how it was going to be hard to get that out to our assistant server. He said not at all, brought over crayons and showed us. Then he left them there for us to color and draw! We had fun doing that each night after that. The asst server would join us in coloring/drawing each night too (late seating, only 3 tables, so plenty of time at the end of the evening).
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #100
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

We were stuck with a borish couple once that made fun of our home town and thought we shared our Politics for some reason. I never bring up Politics, and I don't particularly care to hear yours or debate you on vacation. That was a one and done dinner with them.

Another time, we were seated with a family who said grace forever before dinner. I have no problem if you want to keep grace short and sweet, but blessing the captain and all who travel on the journey, and the safety of all passengers and on and on and on. We sat there quietly and politely while they did their thing, but it was too much and too awkward and our food was cold by the time they finished saying every last thing they were grateful for. They also didn't drink and raised their eyebrows at my wife's second glass of wine. Um, no. We asked for a different table the second night.

Since then, we make plans to dine alone.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #101
Clotho
Doting on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post
We were stuck with a borish couple once that made fun of our home town and thought we shared our Politics for some reason. I never bring up Politics, and I don't particularly care to hear yours or debate you on vacation. That was a one and done dinner with them.

Another time, we were seated with a family who said grace forever before dinner. I have no problem if you want to keep grace short and sweet, but blessing the captain and all who travel on the journey, and the safety of all passengers and on and on and on. We sat there quietly and politely while they did their thing, but it was too much and too awkward and our food was cold by the time they finished saying every last thing they were grateful for. They also didn't drink and raised their eyebrows at my wife's second glass of wine. Um, no. We asked for a different table the second night.

Since then, we make plans to dine alone.
Sorry to hear your table mates were a bust! For every person who doesn't share your opinions there are others who resonate with you. If you are social creatures, give it another chance and then ask to eat alone if the first night doesn't work out. But I would hate to think you missed meeting awesome people like us who don't pray over our meal and love more than one glass of wine and agree politics are not topic for mixed company! Heehee. You know what I mean!

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
BOARDWALK CLUB LEVEL: Aug 28-Sep 8 2014
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels

Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #102
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Sorry to hear your table mates were a bust! For every person who doesn't share your opinions there are others who resonate with you. If you are social creatures, give it another chance and then ask to eat alone if the first night doesn't work out. But I would hate to think you missed meeting awesome people like us who don't pray over our meal and love more than one glass of wine and agree politics are not topic for mixed company! Heehee. You know what I mean!
LOL, think I'll wait to see who we meet at Signals on the first day of the cruise, and then see if they want to link dinner. Chance has not been good to us.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #103
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer

See? And I am a wee bit concerned that DCL's data mining skills will only "see" that while my DH is a pastor in Mississippi... and neglect to detect (hee! I rhymed!) that we are a progressive church - to the extent that we are LGBTQ friendly. The results of assuming who we mesh with could be as disastrous as when a new hair stylist hears that I'm a preacher's wife.
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #104
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Lifer View Post
We certainly didn't find our table mates to be the perfect match. We only lasted about 3 minutes at our table. My family had 2 younger children (3 and 2) and the second we walked up to our table the mother at the table made a snarky remark about how she already raised her kids and had no interest in sitting next to us. It wasn't something she said quietly to her obnoxious teenagers or husband or even the restaurants manager, it was said out loud for us to hear. We promptly found management and received our own table, which we were quite happy with, since our kids got plenty of special attention from our new server.
Hee, had to read all the pages to see if I recognized myself in someone elses post.

I hear ya...my DD and I lasted 1 minute on one of our mother/daughter cruises. We walked up to sit down with two moms and two daughter's (my daughter's age) and one woman looked at the other and said out loud "oh my god, here we go!" I thought my fly was open...oh wait, I was wearing a dress. They laughed at us and rolled eyes and whispered with hands over their mouths and didn't even say hello or acknowledge us. We just got up, went to the head servers and I told them, I wasn't going to put my DD through that and were sitted by ourselves and our servers couldn't be more than awesome! It was only a 2 day. It wasn't like my DD was going to see them for the next 6 days.

This last MR cruise was awesome! We loved our tablemates and Disney did a fantastic job!!!! Still email them. If anything happened to my son in college, they live near his college, I know I could call them and they would be there. And he didn't even sail with us. Had the best time with that mom! Especially when she was hypnotised!

Kelly867, you can always request a table alone upon boarding. It will be in the navigator you receive when you check in (where to go). They may have a waiting list, but maybe after your first dinner, you won't want to move. We had requested early seating because of my nephew(5). After meeting our tablemates, we took our names off the waiting list. Have a wonderful cruise!!!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 08-16-2012 at 05:07 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #105
DL1957
DIS Veteran

We have been fortunate with our 9 cruises. Twice we have shall I say unique table mates. They only wanted to hear themselves talk about how many cruises they have taken and how they know all the captains and the most of the crew. They also let me know how they did not Dis people they brought it up and I told them I was on Dis and enjoyed they many polite folks I have met.
On our other trips we have met at least one couple that we are still friends with.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: