Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #76
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Okay, hope I don't forget anything .......

Sorry about your meal. Now, that bread LOOKS dry to me even in a photo and I had heard good things about their menu as well.
Your character experience at the restaurant reminded me of a time at Pizzafari where we sat by a window and every so often a character would walk by, knock at the window, stop, you name it, they did it. Got a bit annoying while trying to enjoy my meal.
That is exactly how it was!!!! Just not really stopping but injecting themselves in what we were doing for but a brief second. (except Brer Bear..he waited around to get a reaction..so I included him on the "character meets" in my tally)
Quote:
Poor Zoe, being "deliberately" splashed by all those people around her.

Quote:

Sorry about the tiggertails too! They look yum, but I am not a huge fan of sugar crusted things, they always hurt the roof of my mouth (whatever that is called ). Why do they always have to tamper with the good things? I mean you are on vacation and eat lots of junk anyway, so why not keep a good thing good.
I figure people realize when they eat a marshmallow covered in caramel covered in chocolate... that they are not eating healthy. I mean.. I know some ( Tammie) have mickey bars for breakfast on vacation... but it is vacation!!! Since when does one have to eat healthy on vacation??? Whats next? Take away cotton candy, popcorn... MICKEY BARS??? just cause they are not healthy? Yes, give everyone an apple and a water bottle and tell them (by CA state law) they have to eat healthy. I am sure less out of state vacationers will come.
Quote:
Don't they hand out "purple tickets" any more when a ride breaks down? I remember being handed lots of purple tickets during my visits. The Rocket Rods were down quite a bit and purple tickets were great to use at them.
I think they might have been before we even started going to the parks. Purple tickets? I know we didn't get any... but I can't even recall EVER getting any. And...what is a Rocket Rod?

Quote:
Okay, hope I haven't forgotten anything. Oh, I wanted to let you know that I LOVE all the pics and Zoe looks just sooooooooooo cute in her Minnie outfit. Well done in choosing it, mom!
thanks
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #77
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Poor Zoe! I can't say I blame her for getting aggravated in the canoe. I would have been mad, too, if everyone kept dumping water on me.

That lunch definitely doesn't sound or look too appetizing.

Sorry your Tigger Tails weren't what they used to be. Sounds like I wouldn't have a problem eating too much there like I do at WDW.

Glad you got a little alone time. That sounds heavenly!
Yup, I can't blame her either. However, it was very warm (so I knew she would dry quickly) and it was just silliness. Those people were just having a good time.

Lunch was gross I didn't find myself eating large meals, but I did still end up gaining 2 pounds. from what I am not sure. Well, I did splurge a bit on some things.. I think something I had on our departure day was probably 2000 calories all by itself.. but it was WORTH it.

As I said, alone time was wonderful...but even better is time spent all together where everyone is happy!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #78
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I think they might have been before we even started going to the parks. Purple tickets? I know we didn't get any... but I can't even recall EVER getting any. And...what is a Rocket Rod?
Don't tell me they don't hand out any more purple tickets?
They were the ultimate reward. Whenever a ride broke down they would hand out purple tickets to people up to a certain point in line. These were good at ANY ride, but you had to enter through the exit and tell a CM. They would then take you to the ride.
I remember in 2000 when I went with a friend we had a heck of a lot of fun, as whenever we would be handed a purple ticket (and we got more than one every day ) we knew we would spend them on the Rocket Rods.
You can google them - Disneyland Rocket Rods to see a picture. I think they ran on the old peoplemover tracks or something. They were rocket like cars, which tilted back a little when they "launched", then zipped through the tracks and broke down every 15 minutes.
They were a lot of fun! But I think because they broke down so often, they were removed after a year or so.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #79
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't tell me they don't hand out any more purple tickets?
They were the ultimate reward. Whenever a ride broke down they would hand out purple tickets to people up to a certain point in line. These were good at ANY ride, but you had to enter through the exit and tell a CM. They would then take you to the ride.
I remember in 2000 when I went with a friend we had a heck of a lot of fun, as whenever we would be handed a purple ticket (and we got more than one every day ) we knew we would spend them on the Rocket Rods.
You can google them - Disneyland Rocket Rods to see a picture. I think they ran on the old peoplemover tracks or something. They were rocket like cars, which tilted back a little when they "launched", then zipped through the tracks and broke down every 15 minutes.
They were a lot of fun! But I think because they broke down so often, they were removed after a year or so.
Ok, I googled it. I think those where gone by the time we went. It looks like they loaded where COP loaded. Was COP there then? I know it is gone now... you just walk up the ramp into the innoventions building now. Interesting ride...

I do vaguely remember some tickets though... we got them when things didn't go well. Like... losing a child (yes, our boys had a tendency to go left when the rest of us when right) Spending a day in a hospital (cause I had a boy who at 5 was a big old monkey and had to learn the hard way why the cm's always say "please do not sit on the ropes") I just don't remember a color or even using them. My mind is going though... so who knows what happened so long ago.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #80
MEK
DIS Veteran

Those are adorable pictures of Zoe BEFORE the raft ride. Poor thing. When I was her age I would have felt the exact same way. She was so looking forward to that ride. Who wants to come off that ride covered in water?

Ugh - to BTMMR breaking down.

Ugh - to the demise of the old tiger tails. I've never had one, but I'm sure I would have liked the transfat version better. Trans fat or high fructose corn syrup. Not entirely sure I understand the rationale for the need to eliminate all transfat.

And finally - ugh - to the crappy rolls at lunch. I love fried green tomato sandwiches, especially because I can't get them where I live.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #81
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Quick response...then I will go back a really read all your updates...but I am thinking I will actually lose weight at DL rather than gain weight like at WDW!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #82
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Dang it...I always seem to be one update behind on your TR.

I have to say that food doesn't look good at all and those onion rings just don't look right. I really wish people (places) would stop telling us how to eat!

Sorry Zoe got so upset on the canoe ride, but I can't say that I really blame her.

Isn't it great doing a ride all by yourself? I love that Mark won't do TOT anymore...I can take my time walking through the line and take as many pictures as I want and I can just enjoy having that little bit of "me" time.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #83
tweeter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I am glad you are enjoying it.

yes, that was Pip from Mary Poppins.

Countdowns are so fun. Did I miss a PTR? If you are not doing a PTR, I would love to see a picture of your countdown calendar. I think I have done a different design each trip. Since this trip was a surprise though... I didn't do one. I am close to deciding on a plan for the fall trip's count down though...so that will be fun.
Nope, I haven't done a PTR. My writing comes off more like a recipe than anything fun to read. I am taking pictures of the countdown calendar as I go, so I'll be able to share once it's done. It will be a 60 day countdown, so I still have about a month to finish it. It'll be done soon though, so I guess I'll have to hide it for a little while.

Boo for the Transfat thing. I'm firmly in the corner of "I'm on vacation, so let me eat what I want to eat."

Poor Zoe, I'm sad that she didn't get the ride she thought she was getting. I'm glad she didn't stay wet too long; cranky and wet are not a good combo.

Can't wait for your next update.

Thomas

Last edited by tweeter; 08-02-2012 at 03:57 PM.
tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #84
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
Quick response...then I will go back a really read all your updates...but I am thinking I will actually lose weight at DL rather than gain weight like at WDW!
at Tammie

I'm finally caught up to you Ann! I love that Zoe didn't believe yall were really going! Ugg about all the food experiences. I think I might stick with WDW. lol That's a really old phone if it does that with the text messages. I didn't even know a Pinocchio ride existed. Eeek about Zoe's melt down, but I would have been pissed about the water too!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #85
MEK
DIS Veteran

Just checking in to make sure I didn't miss an update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #86
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Those are adorable pictures of Zoe BEFORE the raft ride. Poor thing. When I was her age I would have felt the exact same way. She was so looking forward to that ride. Who wants to come off that ride covered in water?
I understand Zoe's frustration too. However, everyone was just having a good time... no one meant to be splashing..it just kinda happened. It was also a super hot day...so one would think it would be welcomed.

Quote:
Ugh - to the demise of the old tiger tails. I've never had one, but I'm sure I would have liked the transfat version better. Trans fat or high fructose corn syrup. Not entirely sure I understand the rationale for the need to eliminate all transfat.
I know these things are not healthy and for some do really cause problems. Steve is very sensitive to HFCS. It sends his gut into turmoil (he has chrons disease) He and Zach both haver their skin break out horribly if they have any of the stuff. BUT even with their reactions... I don't' feel that we should tell others not to eat the stuff. I know that it can be argued that if people don't take responsibility for their health then the public ends up paying the price (down the line) I just like to think that each person has the ability to choose what is best for themselves...and even it they aren't doing so...it is still their right to try. Ok...i will step down off my soap box now.

Quote:
And finally - ugh - to the crappy rolls at lunch. I love fried green tomato sandwiches, especially because I can't get them where I live.
The only fried green tomatoes I have had have been at Kona in WDW... and those seemed nicely cooked. Not greasy, not floppy. Nice and crisp. I am really not sure what was up with this sandwich. I think we should have dinned elsewhere in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
Glad you are here. it should be said... there ARE some good choices. (and somehow, I gained more on this trip of 4 days than on the 2 week trip to WDW in December) Remember, DTD as well as Gardenwalk (I have never been, but from what I can tell is a little shopping district much like DTD) not to mention just all the establishments on Harbor or Katella are RIGHT outside the parks and within walking distance. It is just hard to change your mind set of going to just disney restaurants to going to only nondisney restaurants while on a disney vacation. Also, the restaurants in the disney hotels are all suppose to be good...but spendy. All are more in line price wise with Cali Grill or any of the other signature dinning places in WDW. (except for the character meals..but keep in mind even the one we did in DLH was about $40 per adult - not sure when the age is for adult)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Dang it...I always seem to be one update behind on your TR.
I know the feeling. I get caught up on one thread and then fall behind on another. CONSTANTLY!
Quote:
I have to say that food doesn't look good at all and those onion rings just don't look right. I really wish people (places) would stop telling us how to eat!
yeah, that was the worst meal we had. (breakfast was second worst)

I agree with you about people not telling others how to eat.
Quote:
Sorry Zoe got so upset on the canoe ride, but I can't say that I really blame her.
I know... I can't either. I just didn't want to to cause a scene over it.
Quote:
Isn't it great doing a ride all by yourself? I love that Mark won't do TOT anymore...I can take my time walking through the line and take as many pictures as I want and I can just enjoy having that little bit of "me" time.
It really was nice. I mean... would I have liked them to be there? yes. However, it was actually very nice to have the alone time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter View Post
Nope, I haven't done a PTR. My writing comes off more like a recipe than anything fun to read. I am taking pictures of the countdown calendar as I go, so I'll be able to share once it's done. It will be a 60 day countdown, so I still have about a month to finish it. It'll be done soon though, so I guess I'll have to hide it for a little while.
recipes can be fun to read at least... easy. Sometimes my rambling kinda gets in the way of what I am trying to say... but I write anyway and some people have just grown use to my ramblings. .

Please share a picture of the calendar when you are done! I would love to see it! I need to do one for our fall trip.. I just haven't had the time to even decide on a design.

Quote:
Boo for the Transfat thing. I'm firmly in the corner of "I'm on vacation, so let me eat what I want to eat."
I agree with you!!!!

Quote:
Poor Zoe, I'm sad that she didn't get the ride she thought she was getting. I'm glad she didn't stay wet too long; cranky and wet are not a good combo.
you are correct... cranky and wet are not a good combo. Fact is, I don't think she got all that wet. Even if she did... it was hot and she dried quickly. I think her frustration was more in that she wanted to paddle correctly and the passengers in front and behind her were inhibiting her ability to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I'm finally caught up to you Ann! I love that Zoe didn't believe yall were really going! Ugg about all the food experiences. I think I might stick with WDW. lol That's a really old phone if it does that with the text messages. I didn't even know a Pinocchio ride existed. Eeek about Zoe's melt down, but I would have been pissed about the water too!
Glad you are here and caught up! We did have some good food experiences. Just not at Hungry Bear. However, I do really like the restaurant itself. It is all open air but under cover. It reminds me of a rustic lake side place. I would go there just to hang out. (just skip the food)

Yes, Zachs phone is old... It is actually the same one I lost in WDW in December.

The Pinocchio ride is one of my favorite dark rides. It took me forever to get over the fact it wasn't in WDW (the first couple trips I kept trying to fit it in)

Zoe was just a bit tired. We had had a long day the previous day and got up super early on this day. She just needed a nap.

Quote:
Just checking in to make sure I didn't miss an update!
No, no.. no update. I will try and get one done soon though.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #87
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

7/7 - Afternoon with My Boys

7/7 - Afternoon with My Boys

With Zoe and Steve heading back to the hotel, the boys and I had some time alone together.

Just look at that crowd behind us!

We actually started our adventure back in Adventureland. I believe this was not the last of these that Zach bought, but this was the first. He decided to buy snacks at Bengal BBQ for us.

What did we eat?

These were my also a favorite - must have each trip - snack for me. The bacon wrapped asparagus is so yummy!

Next we went through the castle. I believe this is something new since the last time I was in DL. Well, let me rephrase that. I think the walkthrough was there, but that they didn't allow people to go through. Or maybe we just didn't know it was there. Either way, this was new for us. The boys humored me. I think they were not exactly in awe like I was, but I WAS in awe. I remember seeing Karin's TR from DLRP and thinking the walkthrough must be magical. Well, I have a feeling it is similar here and it did not disappoint. I am not sure how to describe how the sleeping beauty story comes to life as you walk through the castle. First, it isn't "through" like in WDW. You actually climb stairs and walk through little passages. There are alcoves that house parts of the story and each one "comes to life" . This was truly magical. Unfortunately, my pics were not the best.

We then spent some time shopping. Now, you would think that this was another "boys humoring mom" thing. However, it was Zach who really wanted to shop. At this point in the trip he was hoping to get a stuffed elephant (think 100 acre wood hefalump not dumbo)

Coming up empty handed for the stuffed hefalump, we went on Buzzlight Year.

Zach of course did well... but did not come anywhere near the top score of the day. He was amazed at the score the person had got and commented that the person had to spend a lot of time there to be able to score like that. The person who had the top score just happened to walk up behind him at that point and started a conversation with him.

Alex and I rode together and I had this photo emailed to me..but I forgot about Zach's. I know he had his mailed to him.

Next we shopped more. (I am sure that Alex was thrilled by the shopping that Zach was wanting to do. )

Then we got a single fast pass for Star Tours. Since Zach had not done this since they changed it, we decided he should go while Alex and I went to innoventions. I wish I had been on the ride with Zach. He was the spy!!!

Look what they have as a kiosk that you can play with in Innoventions

Innoventions also has a "smart home" that was really nice to go into and relax in.

I think we all must have separated at this point because I remember sitting in that chair in front of the tv for a while waiting for the boys. Once we reunited, we went to captain Eo.

Since it reopened back in WDW, I have wanted to go. Someone always thought it was a bad idea so I had never gone. Also, there was also the fact I worried that it may be a tad to scary for Zoe. I am glad I did it once. I think the boys actually enjoyed it much more than I did. I either was sniffling laughter or cringing with shock. (its funny, no its scary..wait..funny..no..scary) In the end, I think it is just weird. Zach thought it tried to hard. I think we all agreed it was a bit outdated.

Zoe and Steve had spent their afternoon swimming and napping. It was now time for them to come back so that we could have dinner. As they made their way back to DL, the boys and I filtered through some more shops. (Zach was on a mission that day)

Updated Running Tally HERE

Next Chapter: 7/7 - A Birthday Song

Last edited by annmarieda; 08-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #88
amandaw
DIS Veteran

That's really nice that you got to spend some time with your boys.

I love the fact that the castle there has a real walk through. Must be soooo cool!

That bacon asparagus looks really yummy!

Sounds like y'all were having a lot of fun!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #89
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

What a fun time to have with your boys, Ann! Well, even though they gave you time ot relax in that living room.

I am sure that walk through exhibit in DL was open when we last visited. I cannot find my photos from that visit, but I am sure we saw that too. How cool would it be if they had something similar in WDW. Well, I guess you will have to come to DLRP with me instead.

Now that asparagus looks sooooooooo disneylicious! I really hope they keep it on the menu until our 2014 visit.

Oh, and I wanted to say that it is pretty unbelievable these are your boys. You look far too young to have grown children like these.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #90
oboedm
DIS Veteran

How sweet! An afternoon with your boys! It is sad that you missed out on him being the spy... however, I am sure the boys enjoyed some alone time (even though they had time that morning, LOL)!

Can't wait for the next update!
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: