Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #376
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post
My husband Ryan and I will be on the bus! Looking forward to meeting some Dis Cruisers before getting on the ship and maybe sharing my 3 day Disney Trip with fellow Disney nuts.

Kinda panicked that it's less than 3 weeks away, I'm not quite ready yet!
I know that panic feeling and this coming weekend we are traveling to Disneyland to celebrate my husband's birthday at the D23 convention. I don't know how we are going to get through all of this - but somehow we do.

Happy Packing. See you soon.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #377
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn4val View Post
Getting closer. Less than 3 weeks. Any last minute advice to first time cruiser? Or something not to forget? So looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm coming to the ice cream social even though I can't eat ice cream just to get to know my fellow Disney fans. I'm traveling with my sister in law who isn't a Disney fan. So looking forward to meeting so many people with the same passion.
I haven't cruised RCCL before (and I'm still very much a cruise newbie), so I feel like I don't even know what I need to ask and what I need to know.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #378
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

For those of you who don't even know what to ask you should come to chat on Wednesday night.

It starts at 8PM in the Adventures by Disney chat room.

You can see what others ask and gain knowledge that way - it might even cause you think about something that you hadn't thought of - and you might come up with a question.

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #379
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Enabler View Post
We will be at Bay Lake Towers the 3 nights before the cruise
Carol, I can't remember if you and Michael are DVC members, but if you're staying there on points be sure to visit the Top of the World lounge. Very nice picture of one of the original conceptual drawings of the DL monorail behind the bar. Its by John Hench I believe, but I understand Bob Gurr claims ownership.

Its also an interesting place to watch the MK fireworks from.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #380
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

What's the dress code in the main dining rooms? Do people dress up for dinner like on the Disney ships?

Sailing on a different cruise line is making me feel like a total newbie again!

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #381
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post
For those of you who don't even know what to ask you should come to chat on Wednesday night.

It starts at 8PM in the Adventures by Disney chat room.

You can see what others ask and gain knowledge that way - it might even cause you think about something that you hadn't thought of - and you might come up with a question.
I'm putting a reminder for myself to make it to chat on Wednesday so I should be there!

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis

Last edited by LionKingRules84; 08-05-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I have no idea what day it is anymore
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #382
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Carol, I can't remember if you and Michael are DVC members, but if you're staying there on points be sure to visit the Top of the World lounge. Very nice picture of one of the original conceptual drawings of the DL monorail behind the bar. Its by John Hench I believe, but I understand Bob Gurr claims ownership.

Its also an interesting place to watch the MK fireworks from.
We are DVC and we have been to the Top of the World lounge for drinks. I agree it is alot of fun. Bob is such a character - he claims everything is his. We will be sure to ask him when we spend our day with him in October.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #383
Wimpy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterLeah View Post
What's the dress code in the main dining rooms? Do people dress up for dinner like on the Disney ships?

Sailing on a different cruise line is making me feel like a total newbie again!
I have seen anything from jeans to tuxes on formal nights. They don't allow hats or shorts at dinner and never swim wear. For casual nights I normally wear kaki's and a button down or polo. Semi formal nights its a sport coat and tie. Formal nights it is a suit.

They normally don't enforce the dress, it is "recommended." Also depends on the cruise. Alaska and Canada/NE tend to see fancier where Caribbean is less. Probably due to age to passengers.

My suggestion, wear clothes.

==========================================

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #384
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Just wondering if anyone knows how Disembarkation is on the Oasis and if there is anything to do between port and the airport(FLL). Our flight isn't until the evening(only early non-stop flight home was too early and the next isn't till about 6 which we took instead of doing a connection someplace else). We seem to have about 3 hours to kill before we might be allowed to wait in the airport for our flight and from research it seems there is little to do or even eat at the FLL. I'm mostly worried about my husband and I going hungry before we fly home(and I'm pretty sure they won't feed us on our flight). After breakfast on the ship we still need to worry about lunch and possible dinner before leaving for home and can't seem to find where they would let us go with our luggage(oh and have gluten free options for food). Add in the fact we have no car as well.

Any input on this dilemma would be helpful.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #385
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

You can check into renting a day room at one of the many hotels in the area.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #386
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows how Disembarkation is on the Oasis and if there is anything to do between port and the airport(FLL). Our flight isn't until the evening(only early non-stop flight home was too early and the next isn't till about 6 which we took instead of doing a connection someplace else). We seem to have about 3 hours to kill before we might be allowed to wait in the airport for our flight and from research it seems there is little to do or even eat at the FLL. I'm mostly worried about my husband and I going hungry before we fly home(and I'm pretty sure they won't feed us on our flight). After breakfast on the ship we still need to worry about lunch and possible dinner before leaving for home and can't seem to find where they would let us go with our luggage(oh and have gluten free options for food). Add in the fact we have no car as well.

Any input on this dilemma would be helpful.
There is not much to do in the immediate vicinity of the port and airport.

The ideal thing would be for you to rent a car for the day and drive someplace you're interested in ... maybe Las Olas (on the street shopping with lots of nice restaurants), Sawgrass Mills mall (there's a WDW outlet store there), the beach, etc. You could keep your luggage with you. Note that the car rental companies are almost all located within the airport, so you'll probably get a car rental shuttle to the airport if that's the route you decide to take.

Another option with RCL is a service I have used with other cruise lines before where, for a fee, your luggage is taken directly off the ship and taken to your carrier. Kind of like what WDW does with DME. This would free you up from your luggage and you could take a taxi wherever you'd like to go - or still rent a car.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten..._valet_service

If you want to stay in the port/airport area, I guess you could go to Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, which is just west of the airport. You could spend a few hours at their store - and dine at their Islamorada Fish Restaurant.

Personally, after a seven day cruise, I'd probably only eat a late lunch/early dinner anyway as there is so much food on board.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #387
CherylLuvDW
Earning My Ears

Nice casual for most evenings. Dressier for special restaurants & dress up night.
CherylLuvDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #388
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Excursions

For those of you who've done RCCL before, I need excursion advice/reviews.

1. I'm contemplating either the St. Thomas Panoramic Drive or the St. Thomas Island Tour, and I'm not sure which of those might be better for me.

2. I'm also considering a St. Maarten Island Tour. Are tours of St. Thomas and St. Maarten different enough that I should try to do one of each, or is one island better to visit than another?

I've never been to either port, I live near the beach already, I'm not big on aquatics or extreme anything, and (due to too little money and too much stuff), I'm not doing much shopping these days. I like taking photos with my nice camera and would like the overall view of beauty and scenery and some history.

Any guidance would be very helpful!

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #389
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Disclaimer: We're not doing any of the port tours this cruise.

We've done tours on both islands on past cruises. Most recently on St. Thomas in January. Less recently, St. Martin about 15 years ago.

The St. Thomas tour was pretty spectacular. Lots of great scenery and an opportunity to get off in downtown for shopping. Not sure which of the offered tours is better though. An added complication at this port is that there is usually an excursion that goes to St. John. That's also a very nice island and the excursion probably spends some time at a very nice beach with an underwater snorkeling trail.

St. Martin island tour was less impressive. It is unique since the island is owned by two different countries and has two capitals. It might be a good opportunity to set foot in the Netherlands and France on the same day. Shopping is usually better on the Dutch side, except for any French goods which are better in Margot, on the French side.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #390
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the help everyone! My husband did some research and it seems RCCL is good at helping passengers who have late flights and there are actually Fort Lauderdale excursions we can take that end at the airport around 2 or 3 in the afternoon which is when we want to be there. We will probably wait till we get on the ship and ask guest services what we can do. We still haven't a clue when we are going to be booted off the ship though it seems to change monthly but it's sounding like we will be off the ship sometime around 9 a.m. that morning which means we have a bit of day to kill till our flight. Apparently he also found out there is a boardwalk somewhere that has shopping not sure if anyone else has heard of this?

NitroStitch asked about excursions I reserved the Schooner excursion for St Thomas since I know my husband likes boats/boating and even though I don't it does end at a secluded beach which sounds like fun and the excursion it's self has gotten some decent reviews online, it also wasn't too terribly expensive. I haven't a clue what to do on St Maarten myself and I'm staying on the ship at Nassau, which is actually a good thing since my Flow Rider lessons reservation got bumped to that morning instead of the next.
St Thomas seems like the better of the 3 ports as far as excursion offerings and sight seeing. I've never cruised before but that's what I got from research at least, I guess I will find out when we get there if I'm right.
What I've been doing is looking at an excursion that sounds interesting and doing a search for reviews. One excursion on St Maarten I was able to find video of someone's experience and deemed it not something I wanted to do, mostly because of the time of year we are going(it will be either hot, wet or both).

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: