Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Ive been up there once in the morning because a CM let us in to admire the view. It seemed nice and the view of MK was pretty awesome but for me it kinda sucked you can barely see anything else on property because the original contemporary building blocks the view (and ive been up high in the regular contemporary building in the hallways and the view is pretty awesome)
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Am I the only one whose only experience there has had crowds? Hahaha I've been up there 3-4 times and every time it was packed... if only it weren't... My initial post sounded drastic, but I wasn't saying I'm not open to it, but it does propose a traffic concern (they say you have find your own way over, but let's be honest, people BS their way into Contemporary parking all the time anyway) and although its not contractually promised, this is, just as Boardwalk, the first step in solely reserving it for private parties.
I agree with you. We were just there last week, and were staying at BLT. all three times we went up to watch Wishes, there were a lot of people. I'm not saying jam packed, but honestly if you weren't at TOTW lounge 30-60minutes before Wishes, you would be out of a seat. On the deck itself, people were lined up all against the wall.

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
I agree with you. We were just there last week, and were staying at BLT. all three times we went up to watch Wishes, there were a lot of people. I'm not saying jam packed, but honestly if you weren't at TOTW lounge 30-60minutes before Wishes, you would be out of a seat. On the deck itself, people were lined up all against the wall.
hmmm...something is giving me a buzz about your post...just can't quite put my finger on it...hmmmm

Were you - by chance - ever there at 7 pm?
or 10:30?

i don't think the problem from WDW's operations perspective are the "pigeons" that land up there and roost for half hour-hour at one point of the night...

its the other 5 hours where its dead that probably the issue.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
DizneyPilot
Earning My Ears

I am a BLT owner. BLT owners paid a premium for their points. I feel that the lounge area should remain exclusive. I know there will be those that think I'm selfish, but how would the Beach club owners feel about all DVC owners using stormalong? Is the exclusive use of stormalong in your contract?
DizneyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyPilot View Post
I am a BLT owner. BLT owners paid a premium for their points. I feel that the lounge area should remain exclusive. I know there will be those that think I'm selfish, but how would the Beach club owners feel about all DVC owners using stormalong? Is the exclusive use of stormalong in your contract?
The TOTW lounge is not contractually tied to your DVC points. You paid a premium for the points, so did others based on when they bought and where and lets be honest the TOTW lounge was not a major selling point of BLT, it was the proximity to MK.

The pool at Storm-A-Long bay is not about contractual tying it's about capacity and all pools have capacity limits and outside of DVC members being able to hop at most pools (excluding Storm-A-Long Bay, AKV pools, BLT/CR pools), pools are typically restricted to people staying at that resort (poolhopping for DVC is a perk).
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
RDP
DIS Veteran

I pay a premium for holding points at AKV, I don't mind visitors coming to look at the animals from the vantage points! ( my dues subsidise this) I look forward to visiting the TOTWL and if it folds, I hope it becomes another signature all can use!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani

RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #22
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP
I pay a premium for holding points at AKV, I don't mind visitors coming to look at the animals from the vantage points! ( my dues subsidise this) I look forward to visiting the TOTWL and if it folds, I hope it becomes another signature all can use!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Lol...I was wondering when somebody was going to make the analogy.

You are correct...nobody has paid "a premium" for their points.
We all pay "the premium"...as in the going rate at the time we bought.

The reality is that few things are guaranteed in the DVC contract...but few people read it.

So while I paid much less for Saratoga when I bought it than contemporary...I paid the full price at the time and it was the only property for sale at the time...if I wanted DVC - that was it.

So even though I bought "ghetto" points as compared to "premium" points...I still can stay at CR or anywhere else just the same...just my rooms cost alot less.

On second thought -HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

no seriously...I think that often people don't understand what they buy...like the Rubix cube or the laserdisc player

And the storm along bay analogy is off the field.

Stormalong bay opened in 1991...in 1991 "beach club villas" was an overgrown thicket where anoles partied all night to the ORIGINAL illuminations.
Villas didn't open till '01...and the original sale price was $68 a point (they were really "un" premium)
So Stormalong had nothing to Do with the contract...the chicken can't guarantee
The egg.
Bad analogy.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
DizneyPilot
Earning My Ears

Let me put this another way. If you own at Beach Club, would you mind if DVC opened up storm along to all DVC members?
DizneyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyPilot
Let me put this another way. If you own at Beach Club, would you mind if DVC opened up storm along to all DVC members?
No...because the pool hopping policy is in place.

DVC promotes all it's sites as "unique, magical wondrous lands of wishful wonderful dreams"

So if they're telling that each site offers its own benefits...but pool hopping doesn't detract from that...then I've always though it should be universal.

But the "home resort" thing is really not very important either...we're all basically in one big pool...and the 7/11 month window things comes into play so little that it's really not worth bringing up...

My opinion, of course.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
No...because the pool hopping policy is in place.

DVC promotes all it's sites as "unique, magical wondrous lands of wishful wonderful dreams"

So if they're telling that each site offers its own benefits...but pool hopping doesn't detract from that...then I've always though it should be universal.

But the "home resort" thing is really not very important either...we're all basically in one big pool...and the 7/11 month window things comes into play so little that it's really not worth bringing up...

My opinion, of course.
100% agree. My family owns at old key west and saratoga. We havent stayed at either in over 3 years. Basically all our home resorts do is exist so we ca stay elsewhere (although I have a soft spot for okw and wouldn't really say its just a placeholder for me so to speak)
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10 View Post
Basically all our home resorts do is exist so we ca stay elsewhere (although I have a soft spot for okw and wouldn't really say its just a placeholder for me so to speak)
And that is about 90% of the draw of DVC and probably what - just as a guess - 75% of all the contract holders do. (110% at vero beach ).

If it weren't for the open schedule/multiple location concept...DVC would be ridiculously overpriced and i would bet sales would have been "soft" in comparison to what they have been.

It just kinda rubs me when the whole "home resort" thing is inferred as being like the Carolina Dunes timeshare in Calabash, NC circa 1988...
...that's not what we bought...and we need to demand "better" resorts (my HOME of Saratoga being the poster child) than just mass produced junk to rake in merchandise sales from lemmings that continue to show...demand shifting form the worse to the better is the only way to ensure that.

So back to the original point - the top of the world lounge was not designed or built to watch a fireworks show by people who flood the elevators for 20 minutes a night.

Why would they build and operate a location with overhead to give people a vantage point of a show that they COULD be spending tickets on and buying food and merch in the park while they're there?
The place is meant to use the fireworks view as a draw to get you to stick around and suck down $120 bucks worth of high profit drinks.

That's econ 101...and as with the california grill (which is very good but is always a little overrated and unnecessarily crowded BECAUSE of the fireworks and its effect on perception) it can work.

So if they don't open it up and its red ink on the balance sheet...its not gonna last.
Then nobody gets to watch...and nobody gets to drink (sounds like a voyeur movie)

Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Goofy4Pooh
Earning My Ears

FYI ~ Access to BLT Lounge has been extended till Dec 29th!

1981 Honeymoon at WDW
1991 First trip back with DH, DS (9), DD (3)
1992 ~ 2010 60+ trips to WDW
Have stayed at Disney Village Resort (which became The Disney Institute and is now Saratoga Springs Resort) The Contemporary, Dixie Landings (which is now Port Orleans Riverside), Caribbean Beach, All Star Music, Movies & Sports, Pop Century, and The Wilderness Lodge
May 2010 became DVC Member (Home base is DGC) and have stayed at SSR, VWL, AKV, and OKW. Sept 2011~ 30th Anniv at DGC Disneyland!
Goofy4Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy4Pooh
FYI ~ Access to BLT Lounge has been extended till Dec 29th!
And I'm sure will be reinstated on Jan. 2...
You know - due to "overwhelming guest demand"

Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
MrSanderz27
Mouseketeer

Still learning about DVC

Hello all..

I'm still in the process of learning about DVC and planning for what I would like to purchase in the near future (if all goes as planned ), so I apologize if my question is obvious to DVC owners.

If your "home base" resort is BLT but you use your points to stay at a different resort, can you still access TOWL at BLT or do you need to be staying at BLT to access TOWL.

Thanks everyone!
MrSanderz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
4stroke
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanderz27
If your "home base" resort is BLT but you use your points to stay at a different resort, can you still access TOWL at BLT or do you need to be staying at BLT to access TOWL.
Hi MrSanderz!

With the new policy, yes you can visit the TOTWL as long as you are staying on points at a DVC Resort at WDW. you'll need to show your DVC Member Card and your room key to go up. This may change in the new year, as the other posters have alluded to.

In my opinion, it's a good change: if the lounge stays busy, it stays open. If not, we all lose out.

Good luck on your DVC purchase.....you'll never look back!

Cheers,
4S

Apr/08: Offsite ~ Apr/09: Offsite ~ Apr/10: CR ~ Oct/10: Disney Paris Offsite ~ Apr/11: CR ~ Oct/11: CSR & POFQ (Purchased DVC )
~ Jan/12: BLT & VWL ~ May/12: BLT & VWL ~ Oct/12: BLT & POR ~ Jan/13: SSR ~ May/13: VWL ~ Jan/14: BLT
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: