Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #61
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Looks like y'all had a fun day in AK!

That's so sad about hearing the parents argue next door....especially since their kid was with them.

Sounds like a fun night around Boardwalk!
Despite the rain, we did have a good time!

And yes, very sad. I just felt horrible and we heard it almost every day of our trip.

We definitely had a good time at the Boarwalk! I'm really hoping to stay there next year so we can spend more time looking around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
AK really is a beautiful park! Glad you guys had a good time there!!

We have ALWAYS wanted to go to Jellyrolls, but always forget to!! Someday we definitely will, I've heard such good things about it!!
Definitely go! It was definitely one my favorite things on this trip! Just keep an eye on the time! The bar is open super late but the buses back to DTD stop running at some point (like 11 or midnight...I can't remember for sure). But the buses back to the resorts from Pleasure Island run until like 2am.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #62
M303871
Earning My Ears

Sounds like you all had a great time. As nice and relaxing as going with just me and the DW, trips with friends and family are always more entertaining, also more strange random things happen when there are more people.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #63
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M303871 View Post
Sounds like you all had a great time. As nice and relaxing as going with just me and the DW, trips with friends and family are always more entertaining, also more strange random things happen when there are more people.
I swear, Lumar and I were JUST talking about this not half an hour ago! We like going, just the two of us, but having others with us makes it a different experience! I wish I could a few people to go with us again next year!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've never done Big River Grille...I've read mixed reviews on it. What did you have to eat?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #65
Simba22
DIS Veteran

I had a cheeseburger and Lumar had the meatloaf. We all really enjoyed ourselves although it was pretty loud in there so if you prefer a quieter atmosphere it might not be a good choice.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #66
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Two Castles, The Wave, and MORE Rain!

We woke up on Thursday morning and got ready for our first day at MK! Lumar and I decided to eat breakfast at the bakery on Main Street, Mike and Tom claimed they "weren't hungry" and the other four ate in their room that morning.

We got on a bus at 9:40 and arrived at the MK to find....

THE ENTIRE ENTRANCE WAS PACKED WITH RED T-SHIRTS!!! Hundreds of them! We all looked at each and hung our heads in defeat. What can you do, you know? And we'd noticed already that they seemed to only half days at each park...they would get there early and leave around 2 or 3 in the afternoon for some reason so it wasn't totally horrible.

We watched to see which way the shirts went and when they headed to Adventureland, we headed to Tomorrowland!

We got FPs for Space, then went over to Liberty Square for a doom buggy tour of everyone's favorite haunted hang-out! No one except for Lumar and I had seen it since the refurb (and even the queue was new for us) and they were all so impressed by it! The staircase room was definitely everyone's favorite part!

After being tossed out of the attic and back into the 90 degree sun, I told everyone that I had to eat something before I passed out. Mike and Tom said they still weren't hungry and they were going to just wander. Our FP return time for Space was 11:40 so we told them to just meet us there.

We went to the bakery and of course, they stopped serving breakfast at like 10am. I remember I got a frozen mocha coffee but I can't remember for the life of me what I got to eat.

We decided we wanted to get FPs for BTMRR, since we still had some time before we could go back to Space. But of course, Mike and Tom had their park tickets with them. I was texting Mike telling them to head back to Frontierland but my text messages wouldn't go through! My phone kept saying I had full reception and I was on 3G but I had to stand in a certain spot in a certain position to get anything to work! It was really frustrating! So finally, we got a text back from Mike saying they were headed over there now. We'd already been waiting about 10 minutes and 10 minutes after that, they finally showed up. This is going to sound gross but they were sweating horribly! I was like what the heck did you do? Run here? I had assumed that they had stayed in the Adventureland area, since that was where we left them before we went to eat. Turns out, they had gone BACK to Tomorrowland and when they got my text they were in CoP! So yes, they RAN back to Frontierland to meet us and I felt horrible since I was the one who had told them to wait for us at Space!

So after we got our FPs for BTMRR, we made the trek back to Space. Everyone had a blast and commented that it was MUCH better than the old version!

So after all of that walking back and forth, some of the group (i.e. Mike and Tom) decided that they were now starving We stopped at Cosmic Rays where Rob and I downed two Iced Mocha Coffees each (we REALLY like those!), but most of us didn't eat since we'd eaten already.

After lunch, we went back to Tomorrowland for Buzz! Of course, Lumar beat me!

(Mike & Tom)

(Rob & Steph)

(Rob & Lumar)

I tried to use the app on my phone to check wait times for the other attractions, but the stupid thing wasn't working and I was getting really
annoyed!

Since we were close to Fantasyland, we decided to walk through and check out the wait times. Of course, I had to take a picture of Beast's Castle! It looks so pretty!!!

We went on Peter Pan's flight, Winnie the Pooh, and I forced everyone to go on IASW. They had fun. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Since we'd already done HM and the wait for it was now 35 minutes, we decided to head over to Adventureland for Pirates. Via turning around and walking BACK through Tomorrowland

We stopped for a PP pic as we left Tomorrowland!

(For those of you that have seen the 4th Pirates movie, I saw today that they've added mermaids to the attraction now and I'm SOOO excited! There is a short video of it floating around out there! Ahh! I can't wait to go back and see it in person!

(Rob)

After Pirates, Toni asked if we could go see The Country Bears. Lumar and I had never seen it, so we said what the heck.

I was so exhausted already (even after THREE mocha coffees!) that I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. Until Big Al came out. Then I could NOT STOP LAUGHING. HYSTERICAL LAUGHING. For no good reason! I have no idea what was so funny about it but I was crying I was laughing so hard. Then I got Mike started. Then Tom started. Then Rob. Lumar, Toni, Josh, and Steph were kind of bewildered but we just couldn't explain it!

After Country Bears (which I have ZERO desire to EVER do again...) we headed back to BTMRR and used our FPs. I wanted to do it again at night and have everyone be able to compare a day time ride to a night time one. I think it's SO much better at night!

We had dinner reservations for The Wave for 5:15pm so we headed out to the Monorail at 4:45pm.

We arrived at The Contemporary and checked in for dinner. There was almost NO ONE there so I was a bit nervous at first! 6 of us sat in, what we called "The Blue Room." It was a small waiting area with a big comfy couch and blue lighting. Pretty cool but impossible to take a good picture in! The other two? Well...

That's them in the white shirts, facing the camera on the other side of the bar. Magic Kingdom being a dry park is a challenge for some people, I guess!

We were seated at a large round table right near the entrance, which was good because we were close to the bathroom, and we didn't have to fight through chairs and tables to get back and forth.

As you can see...the restaurant is basically empty!

We ordered our food and drinks (another Magic Star Cocktail for me! SO GOOD!!) and although the food is on the pricey side, it was a fantastic meal! Our server was attentive, our food was fresh and cooked perfectly. If you're looking for a nice place to go and eat that doesn't require a change of clothes (I'm talking to you, California Grill!), you should definitely give The Wave a try!

As we were finishing up our meal, I could hear the chatter about whether or not to order dessert start up. As a surprise, I had ordered a custom cake to be delivered at this meal and I was really nervous that I'd have to spill the beans before the server brought it out! Luckily, she had perfect timing!

I took a bunch of pictures to try to get all the angles but of course, no one took a picture of a cross section that I'm aware of...

It was chocolate and vanilla layers with Bavarian Cream and German Chocolate filling.

I had everyone send me their favorite Disney character so that I could include them on the cake. I was aiming for a Fantasmic theme but only had a $100 budget for it and overall, we were thrilled with what we got. Everyone loved it, the cake itself was SO good and it was WAY more than we could all eat.

While we were eating, it had started to rain. We decided to call it a night and head back to OKW so we hopped on the Monorail back to MK, then got on a bus. THIS was the night that the neighbor yelled at us for being loud while we playing Cards Against Humanity!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #67
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I sometimes have random Disney phone reception problems too, I totally understand the "having to stand on one leg with your arm at a 68 degree angle to get a text message to FINALLY send" thing!!

We've never tried The Wave before, but it sounds really good! Your cake turned out great, how fun that it featured everyone's favorite characters!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #68
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

We love the Wave. It never seems too crowded (or too loud). It's one TS credit and the food is delicious! I think I just convinced myself to go there instead of Narcossee's on our trip.

The cake is so cute! Good job on that!

Just reading about you going with a group makes me stressed out. My Type A personality could not be the one responsible for planning the trip b/c I definitely would want to be the person going with the flow. You're doing such a great job! I went with my family but we had no idea what we were doing and had a blast! LOL!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #69
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut
I sometimes have random Disney phone reception problems too, I totally understand the "having to stand on one leg with your arm at a 68 degree angle to get a text message to FINALLY send" thing!!

We've never tried The Wave before, but it sounds really good! Your cake turned out great, how fun that it featured everyone's favorite characters!
OMG the cell service was terrible! Just too many people accessing the network I guess but ugh! How frustrating!

You should definitely try it! I'd love to read one on your food reviews about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter
We love the Wave. It never seems too crowded (or too loud). It's one TS credit and the food is delicious! I think I just convinced myself to go there instead of Narcossee's on our trip.

The cake is so cute! Good job on that!

Just reading about you going with a group makes me stressed out. My Type A personality could not be the one responsible for planning the trip b/c I definitely would want to be the person going with the flow. You're doing such a great job! I went with my family but we had no idea what we were doing and had a blast! LOL!
Haha! Nice! I've never been to Narcoosee's but for our first experience with The Wave we were quite happy! I'd definitely like to try it out for breakfast some time!

And thank you! I wished I could have gone bigger on the Fantasmic theme but it worked out. And honestly, we ended up tossing out half of it because we just could eat it all. I would have hated to spend $200+ on it and have thrown out as much as we did, you know?

Honestly, I was freaking out about going with a group but once we got there, it went much better than I thought it would. I think it helped that everyone was really open to doing whatever because it had been so long since they'd all been there they were really into the "let's do EVERYTHING" plan that I had! And it helped that I actually HAD a plan of where to go, what to do, and when. Being organized definitely helped!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #70
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Sounds like it was a nice day with a good ending at the dinner! That cake is really cute and sounds delicious!

UGH for rain! We were plagued with rain on our recent trip.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #71
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

great updates and pics.

we just got back and yes the mermaids are there. Blink and you will miss it. The Country Bears also opened again with new fur on the bears and a shorter version. 2 songs are gone.

I hate rude neighbors.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #72
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Ali. Sorry about all those red shirts.

You guys got a lot accomplished, even if you did criss cross the park a time or to.

We do Country Bears every couple of years...it's corny, but it's a nice place to relax and cool off. I do want to see the Christmas version in December.

My BFF was supposed to eat at The Wave last night but she said they recently changed the menu and nothing appealed to her and her husband. I wonder what the changes were since you were there?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #73
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw
Sounds like it was a nice day with a good ending at the dinner! That cake is really cute and sounds delicious!

UGH for rain! We were plagued with rain on our recent trip.
It actually turned out to be a GREAT day! We got a lot done and still found time to relax at the end of the day. I was worried about stressing everyone out by trying to do too much, but our schedule really ended up being pretty awesome!

The rain our AK day was worse. We only had one day to spend there and I was disappointed that we had to cut it a bit short but it was just absolutely down pouring. Of course, it cleared up after we'd already left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny
great updates and pics.

we just got back and yes the mermaids are there. Blink and you will miss it. The Country Bears also opened again with new fur on the bears and a shorter version. 2 songs are gone.

I hate rude neighbors.
Thanks, Scott! I saw the YouTube video of the mermaids and you're right... If you blink, you won't see it. At least I know to look for them! I'd never done Country Bears, never had any interest... At least now I can say I've done it! I wish they out some rehab effort into The Great Movie Ride! That poor thing desperately needs TLC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark
Great update, Ali. Sorry about all those red shirts.

You guys got a lot accomplished, even if you did criss cross the park a time or to.

We do Country Bears every couple of years...it's corny, but it's a nice place to relax and cool off. I do want to see the Christmas version in December.

My BFF was supposed to eat at The Wave last night but she said they recently changed the menu and nothing appealed to her and her husband. I wonder what the changes were since you were there?
I think probably if I'd done Country Bears the first time I went to Disney (or maybe if I'd seen the movie?) it might be different. My cousins have seen it multiple times since they were kids so it holds a special spot for them. I guess my equivalent is Figment. I never saw the original but this version has a special spot in my heart!

I'm not sure what changed at The Wave... To be honest it was so long ago now that I don't even remember what I ate! Probably chicken.... I know a few people got the seafood pasta dish and I know everyone really enjoyed their meals but it was on the expensive side... About $50/person.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #74
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Well, Hurricane Sandy is upon us! Good luck to everyone in New England getting battered right now! Stay safe!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #75
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
Well, Hurricane Sandy is upon us! Good luck to everyone in New England getting battered right now! Stay safe!
Be safe, my friend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: