Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
pjpoppins
Mouseketeer

FWC Sleigh Rides

FWC Sleigh Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious as to some info and/or experiences about this. I saw some info on another post but didn't want to "hijack". We are going Dec. 10-16 for our first "holiday" trip to WDW and not sure if we'll ever have a chance to go again around this time. It sounds as if the ride (I know its really a wagon) travels around some of the campsites. We've seen these campsite displays on TV and it looks really cool. We (myself, DW, and DD6) want to see as much holiday magic as we can since we can do the "regular" stuff another time. With that said, I'm not interested in renting a cart and driving around for hours. Is there a set route or will the guide take you around to what he/she feels is some of the best displays?
Also, we are eating at WCC at 5:25p and would probably go that night (I know not the same resort but probably closest we'll be...staying at POP). Do you think an 8p reservation would alot enough time? Thanks everyone!

pjpoppins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoppins
FWC Sleigh Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just curious as to some info and/or experiences about this. I saw some info on another post but didn't want to "hijack". We are going Dec. 10-16 for our first "holiday" trip to WDW and not sure if we'll ever have a chance to go again around this time. It sounds as if the ride (I know its really a wagon) travels around some of the campsites. We've seen these campsite displays on TV and it looks really cool. We (myself, DW, and DD6) want to see as much holiday magic as we can since we can do the "regular" stuff another time. With that said, I'm not interested in renting a cart and driving around for hours. Is there a set route or will the guide take you around to what he/she feels is some of the best displays?
Also, we are eating at WCC at 5:25p and would probably go that night (I know not the same resort but probably closest we'll be...staying at POP). Do you think an 8p reservation would alot enough time? Thanks everyone!
We did this last year, probably my favorite 'extra' thing we've ever done!!! I do believe they have a route they follow but can't honestly say for sure. We saw a LOT of decorated sites in our 30 min ride. I think 8pm would work well.

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

We did this last year as well, and loved it. Our driver had a little basket of peppermint candy canes she gave out to us. She also had an ipod or something playing Christmas music, and two nice warm blankets to put on our laps (even tho it was too hot for them-lol). We saw some amazing Christmas displays! The CM told us that many of them come for the whole month, some longer. We saw many campers out and about, waving to us, and wishing us "Merry Christmas". It was great, and something I think we'd like to do again on any repeat Christmas trips.

We also did the Halloween one! That one was even funner. My boys were scared, but loved it. I've read somewhere recently that they aren't offering the Halloween carriage ride this year. Not sure if that's true, or if the same will be done for the Christmas one.

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know when they open booking for this? I'm thinking of surprising my husband and 3 teens with this.

~NM
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran

If I am remembering correctly it was right around the same time I bookd our ADRs, or just after.

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
cwt580
DIS Veteran

ive heard they arent gonna do it this yr....something about stables being closed for construction there...go figure..

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580
ive heard they arent gonna do it this yr....something about stables being closed for construction there...go figure..
They are doing them this year. Someone posted a couple of days ago that they were now open for booking. The Halloween ones were the ones cancelled this year.

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
pjpoppins
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone I just booked last night for 8 pm so yes they are available. I think 8 should give us time from our 5:35 WCC meal. I figure if we leave by 7 that should give us enough time to check in for 7:45. What do you think?

pjpoppins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Seaislegirl
Earning My Ears

Holiday Sleigh Rides at Thanksgiving?

I called this summer for info on the holiday carriage rides through Fort Wilderness for our trip, Nov. 23 - Nov. 28 (Thanksgiving weekend). It took three calls before a CM found info and told me that there are NO carriage rides through FW for the month of Nov. I was kinda surprised by that - I understand the Halloween ride would be over and understand that they start the holiday-decorated carriage ride in December but does anyone have information about just regular carriage rides for November? If they are not offered, are guest of other WDW resorts (not FW) allowed to rent golf carts to tour the campsites and see them decorated? I have to believe many people will have started decorating on Thanskgiving weekend!!! We know about the wagon ride but I heard that a. it doesn't tour as much of the campsites as the carriage ride and b. it is loaded on a first-come, first-served basis and with 8 of us we don't want to take a chance we can't all get on. Any info on the options for seeing the campsites decorated on Thanksgiving weekend (November 23-27) would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Seaislegirl; 10-20-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: new info
Seaislegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
scdak
DIS Veteran

I did the ride in Dec 2010, not impressed with the driver to say the least, I thought there would be some communication with us but I was wrong. She said about 3 sentences the whole trip. I was hoping to have some info about Ft Wilderness, about the displays etc but the trip was in total silence. No christmas music as others have written about, short answers when we asked questions etc. I was with 2 other adults, its not like it was a couples thing and we wanted a quiet, romantic ride. We saw the interactions between other drivers and guests which was far superior to our experience. It was our first time to take the sleigh ride and I can't really say that I would want to do it again, once was enough, there are many other things that I would want to experience first before I would repeat this, great once just to see the lights and displays, the campers there really outdo themselves and that was the main reason we chose to do the sleigh ride.
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
carstinsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaislegirl View Post
I called this summer for info on the holiday carriage rides through Fort Wilderness for our trip, Nov. 23 - Nov. 28 (Thanksgiving weekend). It took three calls before a CM found info and told me that there are NO carriage rides through FW for the month of Nov. I was kinda surprised by that - I understand the Halloween ride would be over and understand that they start the holiday-decorated carriage ride in December but does anyone have information about just regular carriage rides for November? If they are not offered, are guest of other WDW resorts (not FW) allowed to rent golf carts to tour the campsites and see them decorated? I have to believe many people will have started decorating on Thanskgiving weekend!!! We know about the wagon ride but I heard that a. it doesn't tour as much of the campsites as the carriage ride and b. it is loaded on a first-come, first-served basis and with 8 of us we don't want to take a chance we can't all get on. Any info on the options for seeing the campsites decorated on Thanksgiving weekend (November 23-27) would be greatly appreciated!!!
The sleigh rides start November 30 and you need reservations to guarantee a spot, they run every 30 minutes from 5 til 10. Sorry you'll miss it. Not sure what they have before then.
2012- CSR,2011- AKL-2009 GCV first trip to DL, 2009 -SSR - first trip home, 2006 - Christmas at AS Movies, 2004 - First Stay at Pop, 2003 - AS Sports(dd first trip), 1999 - Day Trip,1998 - Off Property (ds first trip), 1995 - Off Property,1994 - Off Property, 1992 - Honeymoon,Contp.&DCL - land and sea
carstinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstinsmom
The sleigh rides start November 30 and you need reservations to guarantee a spot, they run every 30 minutes from 5 til 10. Sorry you'll miss it. Not sure what they have before then.
Great to know... Does anyone know when they run until? Thanks!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

what's the cost?
summerrluvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
kjasmin
Earning Chief Wannahucalugi's Ears

Do not see any info on the disney site... Maybe I am blind... Do we just call and are these tours around just the campsite or all over Disney grounds? Sorry for sounding redundant here.

Last edited by kjasmin; 10-21-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
kjasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Debbart
Hooked!

The special horse drawn holiday sleigh ride is $60. Book by calling 407 WDW-PLAY

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: