Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #1021
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Holy cow - that's a lot of stuff going on right there! Hope everyone gets better soon, and that the camping trip goes well.

Have fun training for the Princess. (Since I applied for the runDisney spot, if you have questions about training, I am more than happy to answer them!)
I don't have a question- but a comment. I'd look for a Dad to join the Run Disney mom this year. Just a hunch- maybe they add 2 positions, and one goes to a Dad? I could be WAY off but I heard that Lori was getting a TON of questions so thinking RunDisney might be up for expansion this go around! Good Luck!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1022
hezzie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Remember I complained my parents were at WDW without me last week? Guess where they are going tomorrow for 2 nights?!? Back to WDW for f&w! Must be nice to be retired lol!

So, lets pass the time. Tell about your most memorable experience with a CM!
I'll start with the most memorable experience with a CM: It was out first trip to WDW with the kids (DS3 and DD5). We had breakfast at Cinderella's castle the day before and we were in EPCOT in France to get a picture with the Beast. We had met Belle the previous day at the castle and wanted to see if we could get the both of them together. We were in the little room just off the walkway waiting for them to arrive. When Belle and the Beast came down the stairs, my DS took a few steps back behind me as Beast was a bit overwhelming. My DD went right up and was ready to pose, but my DS was not about to get any closer.

Belle comes over, squats down eye level with him and tells him she remember's meeting him yesterday at Cinderella's Castle and that it would be great if he would come get his picture taken with her friend. She stands up, he grabs her hand and the two of them walk over to pose for the picture!

I was in awe that she not only remembered us, but where it was she met us. To this day Belle is my favorite princess because of what that CM did that morning.

Trip History

2014: August -SSR / 2014: April - BWV, DCL Fantasy (7nights), BLT / 2013: April - BLT, DCL Fantasy (7 nights), BWV / 2012: April - BWV, DCL Magic (5 Nights) / 2011: Oct - BWV, MNSSHP, FWF / 2011: Apr - BWV, DREAM B2B, BLT / 2010: Apr - Vero, DCL (4 Night), BWV / 2009: Sep - DCL (7 Night - 15 yr Anniversary Cruise) / 2009: Apr - BWV, DCL (3 Nights), SSR / 2008: Nov - BWV (5 Nights) / 2008: Apr - BCV, DCL (4 Nights) and BWV / 2007: Oct - Vero Beach / 2007: Apr - BWV, DCL (3 Nights) and BCV / 2006: Nov - BWV / 2006: Apr - DCL (4 Night) and BWV / 2005: Sep - BWV / 2005: Apr - BWV, DCL (3 Night) and BCV / 2004: Dec - BWV / 2004: May - OKW (10 yr "early" Anniversary) / 2003: Sep- BCV / 2002: Oct - BCV (Kids first trip, ages 3 and 5) / 1996: May - Grand Floridian / 1994: Aug - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
hezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #1023
khiguchi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Remember I complained my parents were at WDW without me last week? Guess where they are going tomorrow for 2 nights?!? Back to WDW for f&w! Must be nice to be retired lol!

So, lets pass the time. Tell about your most memorable experience with a CM!
I am SO sad! I just typed up a story I wanted to share with y'all about a special moment I had as a CM with a special guest - I somehow deleted it and it's nowhere to be found! Bummer! I will have to type it again sometime because it's a story I love to tell (maybe I can tell it in person with y'all one day)

Anyway, shorter story for this evening: As a member of the 2008 Magic Kingdom Dream Squad, I was lucky enough to be the CM to tell a guest that was exiting Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin that she had won a night in Cinderella Castle! It was truly an amazing moment - the woman was a young mother and had been aboard the ride with her husband and adorable toddler twin boys! When we revealed her prize, she burst into tears and her boys said, "Hooray, mommy gets to be a princess." I almost died!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I don't have a question- but a comment. I'd look for a Dad to join the Run Disney mom this year. Just a hunch- maybe they add 2 positions, and one goes to a Dad? I could be WAY off but I heard that Lori was getting a TON of questions so thinking RunDisney might be up for expansion this go around! Good Luck!
I agree! I think Lori needs a hand with the growing popularity of runDisney events.

Gearing up for 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, BQ Attempt #3 at Space Coast Marathon, the Inaugural WDW 10K and my third go at runDisney Mom!

SHIAWASE LIFE : MY BLOG ABOUT RUNNING, DISNEY & LIVING A HAPPY LIFE! / Follow me on twitter at @krissymmurphy

2013 DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON AND DUMBO DARE TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN - 2013 TINKER BELL HALF MARATHON TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN & PARADISE PIER - 2013 WDW MARATHON TRIP: BAY LAKE TOWER & BEACH CLUB VILLAS -PRINCESS 1/2 TRIP: BOARDWALK VILLAS 2012 - AULANI 2011 - DL HALF TRIP: THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2011 - WDW 1/2 TRIP: SARATOGA SPRINGS 2011 - THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2010 - CORONADO SPRINGS 2010 - DISNEY MAGIC 2009 - GRAND FLORIDIAN 2009 - DISNEY WONDER 2009 (FEB & MAR) - DAKL 2009 - POR 2008 - DISNEY WONDER 2008 - WDW GUEST RELATIONS & TOURS 2007-2010 - DISNEY WONDER 2007 - WDWCP 2006-2007 - POP CENTURY 2005 -
khiguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #1024
dizneygirl1991
DisneyLady1991

I am thinking we'll hear over the weekend. Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

First Trip 1991 WDW * 1992 WDW * 1996 WDW * 1999 WDW * 2000 DL * 2002 WDW * 2008 WDW * 2009 WDW * 2010 DCL * 2010 WDW * 2010 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2012 WDW * 2012 WDW * future 2013 DLR!!

Proud DVC Member BLT since 2010
Disney Resorts: BLT, BWV, BWI, WL, AKV, Poly, GF, CONT, POR
Disney Cruises: Magic

(me) (DH) (DS10) (DD7) (DD7)
dizneygirl1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #1025
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Obviously, I would love for that to be the case. But, I am doubtful that a second addition will be a guy. My reasoning (though admittedly cynical) is that, if you look at the run Disney FB page, most of the pics are of women. And the ToT race the other day was apparently about 65% women, unless the numbers got updated. run Disney seems to be content with women being the primary runner for all of their races - I've actually had a couple of runners ask me if men can run Disney races - not the Princess or the Tink, but the marathon weekend ones!

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #1026
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Obviously, I would love for that to be the case. But, I am doubtful that a second addition will be a guy. My reasoning (though admittedly cynical) is that, if you look at the run Disney FB page, most of the pics are of women. And the ToT race the other day was apparently about 65% women, unless the numbers got updated. run Disney seems to be content with women being the primary runner for all of their races - I've actually had a couple of runners ask me if men can run Disney races - not the Princess or the Tink, but the marathon weekend ones!
On the other hand, having a dad panelist could give the men confidence in knowing that runDisney events are not gender biased. It might even increase the number of participants which equals more $ in Mickey's pocket. Fingers are crossed for you!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW Pop Century Birthday Surprise (July), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
uccats97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #1027
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccats97 View Post
On the other hand, having a dad panelist could give the men confidence in knowing that runDisney events are not gender biased. It might even increase the number of participants which equals more $ in Mickey's pocket. Fingers are crossed for you!
Nah, they can simply sell more of the run Disney-themed purses. (I swear, for some of the prices, those things had better be made out of platinum or something!)

run Disney really just needs to come up with some marketing plan for the men - probably involving alcohol and bacon.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #1028
Laurali
Mouseketeer

Laura's twitter is quiet again. They must be working hard!

Laurali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #1029
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have not been contributing much to the conversation! It's a bit of a crazy time here at work with certain events happening. I also interviewed last week for a position at one of the top 3 companies for whom I want to work, and the anxiety over waiting to hear back from them has topped my wondering about the Mom's Panel!
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

[B]August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #1030
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiguchi View Post
Anyway, shorter story for this evening: As a member of the 2008 Magic Kingdom Dream Squad, I was lucky enough to be the CM to tell a guest that was exiting Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin that she had won a night in Cinderella Castle! It was truly an amazing moment - the woman was a young mother and had been aboard the ride with her husband and adorable toddler twin boys! When we revealed her prize, she burst into tears and her boys said, "Hooray, mommy gets to be a princess." I almost died!!
I would have burst into tears with her for sure! I was tearing up reading your story...can't wait to hear your other story!

Quote:
run Disney really just needs to come up with some marketing plan for the men - probably involving alcohol and bacon.
...or make some murses that smell like bacon and have drink reservoirs?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
I also interviewed last week for a position at one of the top 3 companies for whom I want to work, and the anxiety over waiting to hear back from them has topped my wondering about the Mom's Panel!
I hope you get some news on the work front so that you can enjoy the Mom's anticipation, too. Good Luck!!!

I've been real busy as well. This past weekend was the annual Grape & Wine Festival final weekend in our area, so we were busy with parade watching and food and wine tastings and house parties. Very fun and we always get to see people we haven't seen since the prior year or from many years prior...nice to catch up 'cause life gets so busy that without these types of events we might never see some of our old friends!

I'm still betting on Saturday for Mom's Panel news. I haven't had time to be anxious at all, so I'm glad for that.
DCL Fantasy-Oct'14 First-time cruisers!
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #1031
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

One of my favourite CM interactions was at Innoventions West in Slapstick Studios. My sister and I had travelled together for my milestone birthday and it was her actual birthday that day. My birthday button had 'Pod' on it (my childhood nickname) and my sister's had 'Jeb-Jeb' on hers (for Jill-E-Bean). We were picked to play this hysterical game where you have to diaper cabbage patch dolls on a conveyor belt, but prior to playing the CM gives out team names. The CM wishes me 'Happy Birthday' and then asks if that day was my actual birthday and I had to say 'no', because it wasn't but I did say it was my sister's actual birthday. He then makes a really big deal about our button names and asked were these our actual names...we say 'No' and he then asks us 'what else are you hiding about yourselves???' This guy was so funny and by that point everyone was laughing pretty hard at the antics. Well, we almost bust our guts laughing and the audience roared when he named us 'Team Liarface'! This guy was so funny, and we still laugh about that interaction and the chaos that ensued playing that game. We had such a great trip that we've decided that we are returning for her next milestone birthday for more of this: !
DCL Fantasy-Oct'14 First-time cruisers!
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #1032
khiguchi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
I would have burst into tears with her for sure! I was tearing up reading your story...can't wait to hear your other story!
Thanks, girl! I didn't feel like going out to lunch in the rain today so I took a moment and wrote out this Magical Moment on a Word doc to save Hope y'all enjoy

It was just another ‘day in the life’ of working a greeter shift – as the CM assigned to the far reaches of Fantasyland that afternoon, I was headed onto the old ‘express walkway’ the connected Mickey’s Toontown Fair with Tomorrowland when I came upon a family that looked a little turned around.

I walked up to them – mom, dad and an adorable 8 or 9 year old daughter - and asked if they needed help. They looked relieved at my offer of assistance and let me know that they were trying to find the way out of the park. I let them know that I’d be happy to assist them!

As we started our walk, I noticed that the little girl was wearing a lanyard adorned with many carefully chosen pins, so I struck up a little conversation with her. She seemed kind of shy, so I was sure to stick with simple questions that could be answered in yes or no head nods. We were walking a little ahead of her parents and she seemed pretty peppy to be the “leader.”

Before long, we reached the end of the path and the parents remarked that they knew where they were then. We were right near the Space Mountain Arcade are when I noticed the little girl intently staring at my hip lanyard so I asked her if she’d like to take a look at the pins up close.

She nodded, took a step closer, held my lanyard in her hand and looked up, then asked, slowly, “Would you like to trade with me?”
“Of course,” I smiled, “which one would you like to trade?”

We made the exchange and she confidently exclaimed, “THANK YOU!” before skipping off, causing her dad to jog up to catch up with her. I stopped to ask her mom if they needed anything else when I realized she was covering her mouth and shaking her head back and forth.

“Is everything alright?” I asked, concerned.

Her mom stopped, breathed in and said, “Oh yes, it definitely is….you see…our daughter has never spoken to anyone in public before and her doctors were worried that she never would….we just…thaink you. Thank you so much. You don’t know what this means to her – and to us.”

My jaw almost hit the floor. I felt like I was in a movie, a scripted scene…something unreal…but then I realized that I kind of was – in the best way possible.

At Disney, dreams really do come true. Sometimes they don’t seem as big as the castle, or as loud as the fireworks, but those were the moments that made everything matter.

P.S.
I had no idea what to say after the little girl’s mom spoke to me. But I am sure she understood why

Gearing up for 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, BQ Attempt #3 at Space Coast Marathon, the Inaugural WDW 10K and my third go at runDisney Mom!

SHIAWASE LIFE : MY BLOG ABOUT RUNNING, DISNEY & LIVING A HAPPY LIFE! / Follow me on twitter at @krissymmurphy

2013 DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON AND DUMBO DARE TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN - 2013 TINKER BELL HALF MARATHON TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN & PARADISE PIER - 2013 WDW MARATHON TRIP: BAY LAKE TOWER & BEACH CLUB VILLAS -PRINCESS 1/2 TRIP: BOARDWALK VILLAS 2012 - AULANI 2011 - DL HALF TRIP: THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2011 - WDW 1/2 TRIP: SARATOGA SPRINGS 2011 - THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2010 - CORONADO SPRINGS 2010 - DISNEY MAGIC 2009 - GRAND FLORIDIAN 2009 - DISNEY WONDER 2009 (FEB & MAR) - DAKL 2009 - POR 2008 - DISNEY WONDER 2008 - WDW GUEST RELATIONS & TOURS 2007-2010 - DISNEY WONDER 2007 - WDWCP 2006-2007 - POP CENTURY 2005 -

Last edited by khiguchi; 10-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
khiguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #1033
DopeyinCO
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks, girl! I didn't feel like going out to lunch in the rain today so I took a moment and wrote out this Magical Moment on a Word doc to save Hope y'all enjoy

It was just another ‘day in the life’ of working a greeter shift – as the CM assigned to the far reaches of Fantasyland that afternoon, I was headed onto the old ‘express walkway’ the connected Mickey’s Toontown Fair with Tomorrowland when I came upon a family that looked a little turned around.

I walked up to them – mom, dad and an adorable 8 or 9 year old daughter - and asked if they needed help. They looked relieved at my offer of assistance and let me know that they were trying to find the way out of the park. I let them know that I’d be happy to assist them!

As we started our walk, I noticed that the little girl was wearing a lanyard adorned with many carefully chosen pins, so I struck up a little conversation with her. She seemed kind of shy, so I was sure to stick with simple questions that could be answered in yes or no head nods. We were walking a little ahead of her parents and she seemed pretty peppy to be the “leader.”

Before long, we reached the end of the path and the parents remarked that they knew where they were then. We were right near the Space Mountain Arcade are when I noticed the little girl intently staring at my hip lanyard so I asked her if she’d like to take a look at the pins up close.

She nodded, took a step closer, held my lanyard in her hand and looked up, then asked, slowly, “Would you like to trade with me?”

We made the exchange and she confidently exclaimed, “THANK YOU!” before skipping off, causing her dad to jog up to catch up with her. I stopped to ask her mom if they needed anything else when I realized she was covering her mouth and shaking her head back and forth.

Her mom stopped, breathed in and said, “Oh yes, it definitely is….you see…our daughter has never spoken to anyone in public before and her doctors were worried that she never would….we just…thaink you. Thank you so much. You don’t know what this means to her – and to us.”

My jaw almost hit the floor. I felt like I was in a movie, a scripted scene…something unreal…but then I realized that I kind of was – in the best way possible.

At Disney, dreams really do come true. Sometimes they don’t seem as big as the castle, or as loud as the fireworks, but those were the moments that made everything matter.

P.S.
I had no idea what to say after the little girl’s mom spoke to me. But I am sure she understood why
That is a wonderful experience. I have a son who is autistic, so in a way I understand the mom's reply to you. Any time, you see a child with a social disability coming out of their own world to interact with someone else means the world to that parent. It is almost like seeing them break down the walls in their own brains, overcoming theses issues that keep them to themselves. Giving us a chance to see the persons they really are. You gave that mom that moment. A great story to share, thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #1034
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:

P.S.
That is a beautiful story. I am literally choked up right now.
6/1986 - Off-Site; 11/1997 - Polynesian; 12/2001 - All Star Sports; 12/2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 12/2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 7/2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 12/2014 - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1035
dizneygirl1991
DisneyLady1991

khiguchi's story is very touching. Thanks for sharing your magical moment!

First Trip 1991 WDW * 1992 WDW * 1996 WDW * 1999 WDW * 2000 DL * 2002 WDW * 2008 WDW * 2009 WDW * 2010 DCL * 2010 WDW * 2010 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2011 WDW * 2012 WDW * 2012 WDW * future 2013 DLR!!

Proud DVC Member BLT since 2010
Disney Resorts: BLT, BWV, BWI, WL, AKV, Poly, GF, CONT, POR
Disney Cruises: Magic

(me) (DH) (DS10) (DD7) (DD7)
dizneygirl1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: