Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Best way to get Santa Monica Pier without a car

As the title reads, we want to go to Santa Monica Pier from Anaheim, early February, we won't have a car - want to keep my sanity in tact - so we need to catch either a bus or train, will be a Sunday, is everything open there on a Sunday??...is this doable??

Last edited by minneylovesmicky; 12-05-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: spelling
minneylovesmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
SMD
DIS Veteran

In short, it is really only doable if you rent a car. But I'll give you some options to illustrate why you should rent a car that might be helpful.

Google Maps has a public transportation search where you can put in your starting and ending points and set a day and time to get options. Anaheim to SM is over 40 miles if you go directly. Trains and buses are not direct. You won't want to take a train. For starters, you'd have to get to the train station, and all trains will end up at Union Station downtown, which is 30 miles from Anaheim and another 20 miles from SM. However, taking the bus will also likely route you downtown. But buses run more frequently and will average a faster trip. You're looking at the difference between a 3 hour ride and a 3 1/2 hour ride, each way. So to take the bus will be a minimum of 6 hours travel time.

Taking a taxi from LAX to Anaheim is at least $100, more in traffic. SM is even further from Anaheim than LAX, so it will cost over $200, probably closer to $250. You could try something like using an airport transfer to get to LAX and then take a taxi, but that is still going to run $80-$90 roundtrip between LAX and SM. You're probably not saving much money by using the airport transfer, and to drive directly would probably take an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, taking a shuttle to LAX and hailing a cab will add time.

There is a network of hop on, hop off buses operated by Starline. I think it's about $50 per person for 24 hours. It's probably only worth it if you also want to take other tours. Logistically, you'd have to catch it at one of the LAX area hotels or downtown. To transfer to SM I believe you'll have to ride the loop to the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, which is pretty out of the way if you're trying to get to SM. I think Starline also does pick ups at Anaheim hotels, so you could ask them if they have a tour that includes SM Pier.

You could also try Uber or Lyft. You could probably do one there and one back and get $5-$25 off each way if they're offering a promo code for first time riders. I'm not really sure how easy it would be to find someone to take that fare.

Are you flying in and out of LAX? Another option would be to add a day in the LA area immediately after your arrival day or before your departure day. If you do it before departing you could stay at an LAX hotel with a free airport shuttle. Logistically you'll have more options if you start in the LA area as opposed to Anaheim.

Last edited by SMD; 12-05-2014 at 05:04 AM.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
sheetz
DIS Veteran

I think the best way is probably to take a train from Anaheim to LA Union Station and then transfer to Santa Monica Bus 10, which will take you the rest of the way.

Between Anaheim and LA you have a choice of either the Amtrak (long distance) or Metrolink (commuter) trains. Metrolink is cheaper ($10 weekend pass or $8.75 one way) but the schedule is very limited. Amtrak has lots more trains but tickets are $15 each way.

Metrolink/Amtrak Schedule (Orange County)
http://metrolinktrains.com/pdfs/Time..._timetable.pdf

On Sundays mornings Amtrak trains depart from Anaheim station at 8:08am, 9:05am, 10:34am, and 11:24am. One additional Metrolink train departs at 9:21am.
In the afternoon trains depart from LA Union Station at 3:00pm, 4:10pm, 5:10pm, 7:30pm, and 10:10pm. Additional Metrolink trains depart at 2:00pm and 4:40pm.

Santa Monica Bus 10 Schedule
http://bigbluebus.com/Routes-and-Sch.../Rapid-10.aspx

Buses run about every 30 min for most of the day. Cost is $2 each way. The last bus from Santa Monica departs at 7:12pm and arrives at LA Union Station at 8:20pm.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Ryan120420
Mouseketeer

Option 1:

Take LA Metro 460 Bus From Disneyland To 7th Street Metro Center Station in Downtown LA.

Take LA Metro Redline or Purple Line Subway to Union Station from 7th Street Metro Center Station.

Then Take LA Metro Bus 733 or 33 from Union Station to Santa Monica Pier.

estimated cost: $5.25 per person, each way.

Option 2.

Get to either Anaheim or Fullerton Amtrak/Metrolink stations

Take Metrolink Orange County or 91 (Fullerton only) lines to LA Union Station.

tip: if you go this route, since you are traveling on a Weekend, you will be able to purchase a Metrolink Weekend Day Pass at $10. This pass is valid all day on all Metrolink trains an most connecting bus, subway, and light rail lines in the LA and Orange County area, including the 733 and 33.

estimated cost: $10.00 per person

Option 3.

Take Amtrak train to LA Union Station.

estimated cost: $30.00 per person round trip

Links:

LA Metro:

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

Metrolnk:

http://metrolinktrains.com/

Amtrak:

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Last edited by Ryan120420; 12-05-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Ryan120420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys, so much info and help, hiring a car is not an option, driving on the wrong side of the road and car, isn't some thing I want to experience on this holiday of a life time, it would stress me out so much.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
SMD
DIS Veteran

The Metro 33 stops in Venice, only the 733 goes to SM (except the first and last trip of the day, which won't help you.) Plus the 733 is a little faster with less stops. The Big Blue Bus Rapid 10 looks faster, but does it run frequently on Sundays? Either way, timing is a big factor for such a long trip. I only took BBB school when I happened to live near a stop, but if I recall, their schedule changes a lot on weekends.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
starjazz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneylovesmicky View Post
driving on the wrong side of the road and car, isn't some thing I want to experience on this holiday of a life time, it would stress me out so much.
You mean, driving on the RIGHT side of the road, yes?
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
You mean, driving on the RIGHT side of the road, yes?
doing my head in right there...lol

thanks everyone for your help, maybe Santa Monica won't be an option, i will investigate it more and see what we can work out. thanks again
Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
Option 1:

Take LA Metro 460 Bus From Disneyland To 7th Street Metro Center Station in Downtown LA.

Take LA Metro Redline or Purple Line Subway to Union Station from 7th Street Metro Center Station.

estimated cost: $5.25 per person, each way.

Option 2.

Take Metrolink Orange County or 91 (Fullerton only) lines to LA Union Station.

tip: if you go this route, since you are traveling on a Weekend, you will be able to purchase a Metrolink Weekend Day Pass at $10. This pass is valid all day on all Metrolink trains an most connecting bus, subway, and light rail lines in the LA and Orange County area, including the 733 and 33.

estimated cost: $10.00 per person

Option 3.

Take Amtrak train to LA Union Station.

estimated cost: $30.00 per person round trip

Links:

LA Metro:

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

Metrolnk:

http://metrolinktrains.com/

Amtrak:

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Great info, but I don't think the *cost* of public transportation is really the issue in this particular case. Rather, it's the *time* involved. I wouldn't venture to calculate the time that it would take to do any of these routes, but even without calculating it out...I can tell you that it's simply not worth it. Public transportation in Los Angeles is not efficient. And when you first have to get to LA from Orange County, it becomes an even longer journey.

If money is no object and you really don't want to rent a car, you can look into hiring a driver/limo for the day. But again, I don't think the SM Pier is worth that.

Really, the only reasonable option is to rent a car.
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
LiveAndLetLive
Earning My Ears

Grayline tours offer hop and off bus tours of the L.A. area and I'm sure there's a place you can get on near DL and off at Santa Monica Pier.

I can't post a link because I don't have 10 posts yet but google Gray Line Tours Anaheim. You can also take Supershuttle from the airport to hotel.
LiveAndLetLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLetLive View Post
Grayline tours offer hop and off bus tours of the L.A. area and I'm sure there's a place you can get on near DL and off at Santa Monica Pier.

I can't post a link because I don't have 10 posts yet but google Gray Line Tours Anaheim. You can also take Supershuttle from the airport to hotel.
Thanks I will look it up. Think it will still be out of reach though...Think we have Karmel shuttle for out hotel/airport transfers

Last edited by minneylovesmicky; 12-05-2014 at 11:12 PM.
minneylovesmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #12
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
Great info, but I don't think the *cost* of public transportation is really the issue in this particular case. Rather, it's the *time* involved. I wouldn't venture to calculate the time that it would take to do any of these routes, but even without calculating it out...I can tell you that it's simply not worth it. Public transportation in Los Angeles is not efficient. And when you first have to get to LA from Orange County, it becomes an even longer journey.

If money is no object and you really don't want to rent a car, you can look into hiring a driver/limo for the day. But again, I don't think the SM Pier is worth that.

Really, the only reasonable option is to rent a car.

You are correct, the cost isn't the issue, it is the time factor, I don't want to be sitting in a bus or train for hours and hours, only to be at my destination for 1-2 hours, then have hours to get back home.

I just thought the pier and beach would be nice, only ever heard about it in the Savage Garden song - Santa Monica, will just have to stick to the beaches closer to Anaheim
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #13
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Santa Monica isn't too far from LAX, so you can also catch a DL shuttle to the airport, and then from the airport take Santa Monica Bus 3 to the pier. If there are enough of you in your group it would make sense to hire a limo, either to drop you off at LAX or direct to Santa Monica.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

If cost is no issue, you may try to Uber the trip. I can imagine it would be pretty pricey, though.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #15
minneylovesmicky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
Santa Monica isn't too far from LAX, so you can also catch a DL shuttle to the airport, and then from the airport take Santa Monica Bus 3 to the pier. If there are enough of you in your group it would make sense to hire a limo, either to drop you off at LAX or direct to Santa Monica.

There is only the two of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
If cost is no issue, you may try to Uber the trip. I can imagine it would be pretty pricey, though.
Nope cost isn't an issue, i have factored in the need to use Public Transport alot in my budget in order to get about, as the thought of driving has me terrified.

I don't even like driving in Sydney traffic here in Australia and it looks like a country drive compared to your multi lane roads. So i decided to do you all a favour and NOT be in charge of a car...lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: