Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
adykate
Mouseketeer

Best Forum for WDW Newbie

Can someone here direct me to the best forum to start getting info about visiting WDW? Just looking at the various forums made my head spin, and I don't even know where to start. We are considering doing the Wine and Dine races there in November but I need to gather some info first. Where do I start?? Thank you!

And yes, I know I am in the DL forum, but I wasn't sure where to even post a general question like this in the WDW section. I was hoping someone in here would be able to direct me to a place to start over on those boards. Please just delete or move if that is not okay.

Last edited by adykate; 01-20-2015 at 06:54 PM.
adykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

You are in the Disneyland section of the board. Here's the theme parks section on WDW.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
SFMommy
Mouseketeer

I am DLR vet trying to plan a first visit to WDW and yes, the boards there are overwhelming! My strategy has been to pick one thing at a time to tackle.

So first I went to the "disney resorts" board and started reading and asking about where to stay, different resorts, etc.

Then I went to the "theme parks attractions and strategies" to read about the different parks, attractions, fast passes, etc.

I haven't made it to the restaurants board yet, but that might be next.

Also, the best website I have found so far is EasyWDW dot com. It has a lot of information that is very concise and easy to understand all in one place. I am finding the WDW boards a little hard to navigate, but it is getting easier.

Good luck! They need a special board or thread for DLR vets having a nervous breakdown trying to decipher the WDW boards!

November 2014 - Paradise Pier Hotel
September 2012 - Fairfield Inn
November 2011 - Paradise Pier Hotel
May 2011 - Hojo's (1st trip with DD)
October 2004 - Hojo's (1st trip with DH)
1970's/1980's - a few family trips (always Hojo's, except one magical stay at the Disneyland Hotel)
SFMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Hofmanns4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMommy View Post
They need a special board or thread for DLR vets having a nervous breakdown trying to decipher the WDW boards!
Could not agree more! Never been to WDW partly because I am afraid to plan a trip!
DL PP 1 night 12/98 Went into labor
DL GC 5 nights 11/01
DL PP Concierge 5 nights 11/03
DL GC Concierge 5 nights 11/05
DL GC Concierge 7 Nights! 11/07
DLH 7 Nights 11/08
DL GC 7 Nights 12/11
DL GC 7 nights 10/13

Hofmanns4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
cmpeter
DIS Veteran

I used the Theme Park board previously mentioned and easywdw. That site is the bomb.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #6
adykate
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much! I will check out that site. And yes, a WDW trip seems so daunting after feeling like I know all the ins and outs for DLR! We are looking at going for the Wine and Dine Race weekend, and not taking our kids. I can't even imagine trying to plan everything if they were coming along too! They are very young and we have no one who could watch them during the race, or while we sleep the day after since the race and festivities are through half the night. I just need to start digging in head first!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
RubySue
Mouseketeer

Another good site is

http://yourfirstvisit.net/

I've been to WDW and used FP+ ** I've been to WDW and used the old FP ** I've been to WDW before FastPass existed ** and I've been to WDW before Animal Kingdom, the Studios, and EPCOT existed ** It's all good!
RubySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I went to the "disney resorts" board and started reading and asking about where to stay, different resorts, etc.

Then I went to the "theme parks attractions and strategies" to read about the different parks, attractions, fast passes, etc.

I haven't made it to the restaurants board yet, but that might be next.
Sound advice, that's exactly the approach I am using
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Laz
DIS Veteran

Best thing to remember about planning a WDW trip is that unlike DLR, you will not be able to see and do everything. Even if you spend a week, staying at a WDW resort, the place is too big. Make a list of must dos, and then work down from that.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They need a special board or thread for DLR vets having a nervous breakdown trying to decipher the WDW boards!
HydroGuy has two useful threads that can help a DLR vet going to WDW. Both are helpful to put things into context, so I would give them a look.

In terms of Forum boards, there are four the are the most helpful.
There are other boards, but these are the main ones that I've found to be helpful when planning a trip.

In terms of external website, there are a few that are mostly commonly used/mentioned.
  • wdwinfo - the parent site of the Disboards has lots of information, including hours, menus, reviews, etc.
  • Allears.net - lots of useful information, menus, and feature stories
  • easyWDW - good information and crowd calendars. It's worth noting that he has a slightly snarky writing style, so some folks find that off-putting, but the information is usually good.

Also, it's worth noting that while most of the acronyms used on the DLR board are also used on the WDW board, there are a lot of additional ones.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1660743
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
adykate
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much! All of the advice and links help me tremendously!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
ClaraOswald
DIS Veteran

easywdw.com for sure.

ClaraOswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
BayouQueen
Earning My Ears

I'm a DL regular and did plan a trip to WDW -- that was a blast and worked out really well.

What worked for me was to buy an up-to-date guide book at the bookstore (there are lots of good ones out there) and then after I had an idea of what I was looking for, I went online and started looked at the forums and info sites. It was much easier after I'd narrowed down the resorts, attractions and restaurants that I was interested in.

There is a lot of planning involved, but it's fun doing the planning -- and a blast once you're there. Have a great time!

BayouQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: