Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

RSR at night?

I have seen some posts about the fun of riding RSR at night so I watched a video last night and have to admit that it really looks like a totally different ride after the sun sets. We are visiting in April and will be our first time to visit CL and I think we may try get a FP for night and maybe do a single rider earlier in the day.

For those who have written both times of the day, which is your favorite?

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Baxhappyplace
Mouseketeer

Night ride is the best! It is so beautiful with the lighting. To me it is just a completely different ride. Also if you have small children ask to have a front seat. My son is a tall 8 year old and he has a hard time seeing in the back. We were fortunate after our first ride that a cast member heard him say that he couldn't see anything right when we got off the ride, the cast member came over and handed us fast pass tickets so we could ride it again. She suggested to tell them that we wanted front row. We did just that and he had a great ride.

We don't even ride it anymore during the day. We just get our fast pass in the morning to ride it at night. This way it puts us at Carsland at dusk when all the lights get turned on, don't miss that!

Baxhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
seagodess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxhappyplace View Post
Night ride is the best! It is so beautiful with the lighting. To me it is just a completely different ride. Also if you have small children ask to have a front seat. My son is a tall 8 year old and he has a hard time seeing in the back. We were fortunate after our first ride that a cast member heard him say that he couldn't see anything right when we got off the ride, the cast member came over and handed us fast pass tickets so we could ride it again. She suggested to tell them that we wanted front row. We did just that and he had a great ride.
We don't even ride it anymore during the day. We just get our fast pass in the morning to ride it at night. This way it puts us at Carsland at dusk when all the lights get turned on, don't miss that!
Thanks for that info. I would not have thought of that.

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
gwidener350z
Earning My Ears

We love it at night! However it is great anytime,😉. One trick for the night time ride is to get in line early for a FP. When you get to the machines if the times being pulled are not late enough than just stand off to the side until your time window opens up.

Greg
Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

My preference is to ride it at night. It's so beautiful with the lighting in the dark. It's great during the day, but it's jaw dropping at night.

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2002, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Baxhappyplace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidener350z View Post
We love it at night! However it is great anytime,😉. One trick for the night time ride is to get in line early for a FP. When you get to the machines if the times being pulled are not late enough than just stand off to the side until your time window opens up.

Greg
Yep. Did this too. They don't mind at all.

Baxhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

night is the best by far but ride at both times! You won't be disappointed.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwidener350z View Post
We love it at night! However it is great anytime,��. One trick for the night time ride is to get in line early for a FP. When you get to the machines if the times being pulled are not late enough than just stand off to the side until your time window opens up.

Greg
The other trick is get a RSR FP first thing when the park opens. Then when your ride window opens up, go back and get another FP before going on the ride for the first fastpass. WE've found by that time it's usually a late enough return window that it is dark out for the second FP.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Utopiamama
Earning My Ears

When would be a good time to try to aim for night time riding? We will be at CA in 2 weeks.... aprox what time would you consider dusk to be? thanks in advance!
Utopiamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
KeKy4
Earning My Ears

We got to ride for the first time just as the sun was setting, it was perfect! I felt like I was on an indoor ride not the natural sky! I'd say evening is best!!
Oct 2014 - Fall Break!

KeKy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
Jairy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
night is the best by far but ride at both times! You won't be disappointed.
This was my family's vote too!
Jairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
sleepymouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopiamama View Post
When would be a good time to try to aim for night time riding? We will be at CA in 2 weeks.... aprox what time would you consider dusk to be? thanks in advance!
Check to see what time sunset occurs on the days you are visiting. That is considered dusk and approximately when the neon lights up.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
GrtWtNorth
DIS Veteran

I'm to eager to get a ride, any ride on RSR as soon as possible to be picky about the ride times. But the outside portions with the waterfall and the mountains look awesome in the evening. I managed to ride at night only because RSR had a breakdown during my ride window.

You may be able to use your FP during the evening if you noticed that RSR has had a breakdown earlier in the day. I'm not sure how closely staff are enforcing the ride return times when breakdowns occurred. (It's not likely to work if the ride has been up and running all day.)

On a related note, how is RSR behaving? On my past visits it seemed to break down at least once per day. Have they eliminated these nuisance issues?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: