Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #1141
seadd67
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTGGR View Post
Just booked 2 nights at the Grand CA (thank you DVC) for October. My little sister missed out this last year so I am taking her this year for her 1st time. Nice excuse, huh? Who is with me? Or have I missed Sherry E already starting a new thread?
Later,
Sue
Fantastic, you will have a great time planning. We did the second weekend (late Sept) party 2012. We had a great time, its just me and my DS and he did not want to dress up, i dress up as a Baseball player. Its the only place i know that you can dress up and not be at a club.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #1142
kimberwee
Mouseketeer

Question

We are thinking about going the last weekend in September this year (DD has a school break) so I hope that we can catch a party. Does anyone know if the first party of the season is insanely crowded?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #1143
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwee View Post
We are thinking about going the last weekend in September this year (DD has a school break) so I hope that we can catch a party. Does anyone know if the first party of the season is insanely crowded?
Hi there!

I think it's a safe bet that the first party of the season will be really crowded. First of all, the parties always begin on Fridays and Friday nights would likely be busy anyway. Then you have the novelty of the 'first party of the season,' which always attracts a lot of people who are eager to see if there are any new decorations, new treat stations, etc.

And, in addition to those reasons, the 2012 parties seemed to be extremely busy and popular on most of the nights, by most accounts. Many of us were shocked at the fact that all of the nights had sold out, which hadn't been the case in previous years. Even the early weekday parties were selling out. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that Disney limited access to the Villains in the daytime hours when they set up that 'Conjure Up a Villain' situation at the Halloween Carnival. They made it so that you could only meet one Villain at a time in the tent, but during the actual parties you could meet a bunch of them in different locations around the park.

I'm not sure how the Villains will be handled this Halloween season, but if the access to them is limited once again you can bet that the parties will be extra busy because people will buy tickets so they can meet a lot of Villains.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 01-15-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added in some words for clarification
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #1144
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwee View Post
I think it depends on your perspectives and expectations. I've gone to the first party the last two years and found that they were busy (i.e., rides were not walk-on), but not insanely crowded. I was able to find a place for the Cavalcade and fireworks without feeling like I had to be there an hour ahead of time. My family doesn't go for the rides or character meet and greets, so we manage to see both Cavalcades, the fireworks, and do some trick-or-treating. I think if you have the opportunity to go, it is fun (as long as you go with the understanding that there will be crowds and lines).
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #1145
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Hi! We are thinking of trying one of the parties this year for the first time. We have tow boys (3 & 5) and we are all going to dress like Tron! LOL. Anyway, does anyone know when they will release the party dates? Thank you!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #1146
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post
Hi! We are thinking of trying one of the parties this year for the first time. We have tow boys (3 & 5) and we are all going to dress like Tron! LOL. Anyway, does anyone know when they will release the party dates? Thank you!
crystal1313 -

Hello and welcome!

The dates for the party will most likely pop up somewhere on the Annual Pass section of the Disneyland website between late May and mid-June. But Disney has a habit of switching things up just when we think we have their patterns nailed down, though! If I recall correctly, I think that the party dates showed up on the website a little bit later in 2012 than they had in the previous couple of years.

If there is going to be any kind of 'new' highlight or element added to the parties' activities, it is possible that the Disney Parks Blog could do a story even sooner than May/June - like, say, for example, if a whole new Halloween parade was being added in or something, they'd want to start getting the word out about it to lure visitors into planning Halloween Time trips.

Otherwise, the dates generally show up on the AP site first because AP holders (along with Disney Visa card holders and Disney Vacation Club members) can purchase the tickets ahead of when they go on sale to the general public. So I would say that we should know the dates by June, if not before, and the advance tickets should go on sale shortly thereafter.

I am guessing that the party will begin on Friday, September 27th and end on Thursday, October 31. It will be held on every Friday during that time frame, and will likely take place on most Tuesdays as well (with the exception of a possible Monday or Wednesday replacing one or two of the Tuesdays).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #1147
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Just chiming in, because I am really really tempted to do a quickie trip this year (which means less than 6 days in the parks)... DD gets a 3 day weekend October 11-13th... so I am considering pulling her from school early enough on the 10th to catch a flight down (or the whole day, who knows)--that is a Thursday. Then we could hit the parks a bit, and have Friday (and the Friday party) and Saturday in the parks (yes, I know it will be very busy), and Sunday morning... and then we can fly home in the afternoon to get ready for school on Monday.

I did the math... we could do a 4 day hopper, PPH with a view... and it would run: $1862 plus party tix ~$120 for the two of us right? $1982... plus food etc $100 for the full days and $50 for the two short days...
$2182, plus plane fare which I can usually get for $400 or less for the two of us... $2582... wow... yeah, it kills me how much I love to stay onsite!!

Oh boy... what is crazy, is this is barely cheaper than the 6 days we did for 3 of us in December... amazing how a couple extra days and an extra person isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things...

Will be watching the thread and continuing to scheme!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #1148
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

There is a slight chance that I will get a little bonus trip to Disneyland right at the beginning of the Halloween season. Our original plan had been to head for WDW during the Halloween season and combine this with a cruise out of Galveston. However, they are offering great deals on the May Panama Canal cruise and DH has said that if they offer the same kind of deals for the September cruise, I can book it. This would mean that we would have a full day at Disneyland on September 13th.

Corinna
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #1149
Vala
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely back on board this year as well. Coming in October 15, staying until the 29th or 30th. Hotel is already booked. Can't wait - it's been way too long!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #1150
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

SM and Haunted Mansion in their "Halloween" theming are open during that day and not just for the parties right?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #1151
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbatchelor5 View Post
SM and Haunted Mansion in their "Halloween" theming are open during that day and not just for the parties right?
Correct. Once the overlays are done, they are open that way at all times.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #1152
wanderinaussie
Earning My Ears

Question

Hi all,

Im a bit of a neewbie here but i have a few questions, i've trawled through all of the previous halloween posts but cant find what i'm looking for or the info is a couple of years out of date (or i've been too distracted by all of the amazing photos on here that i may have missed it )

My 11yo cousin and i are making the trek to the states from Australia in late Oct and he really wants to go trick or treating, but being from Aust. we have never done this before and i'm not too keen on walking around random streets when i'm not 100% sure what the etiquette is. So i had the (maybe crazy) idea of doing the MHP on halloween night. I know i read that it gets sold out but don't they have a smaller capacity during the parties? Does anyone know what the maximum is? This is my 4th trip to DL but the 11yo 1st so i don't really mind if we don't make it on all the rides but we would like to do the ones that a 11yo will find most interesting Also do they still issue fastpasses during the party?

What i was aming to do is by a single park ticket for the day before halloween that we will use for CA then we will buy a ticket to MHP for halloween day and spend it in DL starting from 3pm (or whatever time they say we are allowed to enter this year). So that we have the morning free to relax and prepare for the long night. Is this crazy??? Also does any one know if World of Colour still runs at this time? I know the have the halloween theme fireworks but is that just in DL?

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry if these questions have been answered but i missed it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #1153
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinaussie View Post
My 11yo cousin and i are making the trek to the states from Australia in late Oct and he really wants to go trick or treating, but being from Aust. we have never done this before and i'm not too keen on walking around random streets when i'm not 100% sure what the etiquette is. So i had the (maybe crazy) idea of doing the MHP on halloween night. I know i read that it gets sold out but don't they have a smaller capacity during the parties? Does anyone know what the maximum is? This is my 4th trip to DL but the 11yo 1st so i don't really mind if we don't make it on all the rides but we would like to do the ones that a 11yo will find most interesting Also do they still issue fastpasses during the party?
I'm an American and I'm not sure I'd take a child trick-or-treating, even in my own neighborhood. It seems like most neighborhoods where I am (Arizona) it's just not something most people do much anymore. (Though Arizona is a big state and I'm sure there are many neighborhoods where people trick-or-treat. I just don't know of any.)

I definitely would not take a child in a neighborhood to trick-or-treat in another state!

But doing the Halloween Party on Halloween night (and yes, trick-or-treating there) is a great idea! We (4 adults) went Halloween night last year. Plan for crowds--expectations will have a lot to do with how much you enjoy the trip--but we didn't find them to be too bad. (I was expecting crowds to be absolutely terrible, which is probably why they felt OK to me.) Stay away from Main Street around party start time, and unless you want to see the atmosphere (like the pianist at the Golden Horseshoe) don't get in a trick-or-treat line if it looks too long. They'll be less crowded as the party wears on.

They did NOT issue Fastpasses during the party last year. But you are free to get them for the 3 hours before the party (party was from 6-11 PM; you could get in at 3 PM with your party ticket). We were able to get TWO sets of Fastpasses for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy before the party started! Halloween is a weekday so the park probably won't be too bad from 3-6 PM. Don't waste it.

During our trip, we were able to nearly fill our bags with candy, meet a villain, see the Halloween Cavalcade (short parade), get our pictures taken a couple times, eat a sit-down meal at Cafe Orleans, see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies and the Halloween Round-Up (before the party started), and ride quite a few rides, in our 8 hours. Definitely set your priorities because lines may be longer than expected. If you want a view of fireworks from the castle, you probably need to set aside a chunk of time for that, too--it will take a while just to get to the viewing area. (We'd already seen them in 2010 so they weren't a priority for us.)

Quote:
What i was aming to do is by a single park ticket for the day before halloween that we will use for CA then we will buy a ticket to MHP for halloween day and spend it in DL starting from 3pm (or whatever time they say we are allowed to enter this year). So that we have the morning free to relax and prepare for the long night. Is this crazy??? Also does any one know if World of Colour still runs at this time? I know the have the halloween theme fireworks but is that just in DL?
I wish I'd spent more time in DCA my last trip (2-day hoppers and the party). In fact, I'm planning to remedy that by taking a 1-day trip to DCA in March. So for YOU, a single park ticket to DCA the day before Halloween is probably a great idea!

I don't know your cousin to know if he'll prefer DCA (arguably the two most intense thrill rides at DLR; Cars Land) or wish he had more time in DL. Last year, there was World of Color in DCA (NOT Halloween at all) and a movie preview for Frankenweenie (which won't be there this year of course), as well as an exhibit of figures used in the making of the stop-motion film. And Duffy dresses in a pumpkin shirt. I don't know of any other Halloween offerings at DCA, but who knows? Maybe next year will be different.

If you can go the day AFTER Halloween instead of the day BEFORE Halloween, you could upgrade to a park hopper later if you decided you needed more DL time. But it sounds like you'd be tired after closing down the parks on Halloween, and I don't blame you. (In 2012 I believe the hours were 10 AM until 8 PM, so if that holds up, you could probably squeeze in your 8 hours of sleep if you were lucky, though.)

Have a great trip!

Last edited by Eeee-va; 01-19-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #1154
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Hi all,

Im a bit of a neewbie here but i have a few questions, i've trawled through all of the previous halloween posts but cant find what i'm looking for or the info is a couple of years out of date (or i've been too distracted by all of the amazing photos on here that i may have missed it )

Thanks for any help you can give and sorry if these questions have been answered but i missed it.
Hi, there and welcome, wanderinaussie!

Eeee-va gave you some great information. I will throw in some additional thoughts.

Don't worry about asking questions that may or may not have already been asked/answered. It happens all the time on discussion boards like these, on all sorts of subjects. We try to put as much info out there as possible, but people will inevitably miss things or simply not have time to read everything so it's expected that a lot of the same questions will come up. This specific thread was started just last year when we hit the page limit on the previous Halloween Superthread, and the information for Mickey's Halloween Party (in the dedicated MHP post on Page 1) is from last year's party. When we get official information about this year's party I will replace it.

Yes, the Halloween Screams fireworks are only at Disneyland and there are no special Halloween nighttime shows of any kind at DCA (at least, there have not been any thus far). As Eeee-va explained, there was not much in the way of Halloween-ish decor or highlights in California Adventure last year (although, in the past, DCA has had some fun things like "Candy Corn Acres," which appears to be gone forever).

What I heard last year - and this is not confirmed and not official - was that Disney/Team Disney Anaheim wanted to keep Cars Land and Buena Vista Street "as is" for as long as possible to let people fully get to experience those two new areas in their original states (since they both only opened up in June 2012, and Halloween Time starts in September), and then unveil the big Christmas holiday decorations packages (which were absolutely wonderful!).

But, supposedly, this year we may begin to see a bit more of Halloween popping up in DCA in the Fall. I don't know if this just means decorations only, or if it means some sort of special Halloween 'event' or overlay (like the long-rumored Toy Story Midway Mania overlay, for which Mr. Potato Head apparently recorded Halloween and Christmas dialogue years ago).

Disney never treats Halloween with as much love - and pageantry - as it does the holiday season, but I know they could figure out something fun and creative to do with Cars Land for Halloween if they wanted to! And they could use a vintage Halloween theme on Buena Vista Street!

The parties sell out - last year they seemed to sell out faster and/or more of the nights sold out than we expected - and I don't think we are entirely certain of how many tickets are sold, though there has been speculation. I think that, last year, more tickets were sold than in previous years - that's my guess - and all of the parties still sold out (all 11 nights). I think the very last party to sell out was one of the Tuesday parties, towards the end of October.

So the parties may or may not seem really crowded to you (everyone has a different perception of what "crowded" is to them, and different expectations), but they won't seem empty either. There will be a lot of people at the parties and many of them will be congregated in certain congested areas, especially if Disney limits access to the Villains in the daytime again, as they did last year, and makes them more available at the parties! Some folks said that the character meet & greet lines last year were too long.

Anyway, again, welcome aboard and stay tuned as we discuss any breaking Halloween Time-related news as it trickles out through the course of the coming months!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #1155
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
Just chiming in, because I am really really tempted to do a quickie trip this year (which means less than 6 days in the parks)... DD gets a 3 day weekend October 11-13th... so I am considering pulling her from school early enough on the 10th to catch a flight down (or the whole day, who knows)--that is a Thursday. Then we could hit the parks a bit, and have Friday (and the Friday party) and Saturday in the parks (yes, I know it will be very busy), and Sunday morning... and then we can fly home in the afternoon to get ready for school on Monday.

I did the math... we could do a 4 day hopper, PPH with a view... and it would run: $1862 plus party tix ~$120 for the two of us right? $1982... plus food etc $100 for the full days and $50 for the two short days...
$2182, plus plane fare which I can usually get for $400 or less for the two of us... $2582... wow... yeah, it kills me how much I love to stay onsite!!

Oh boy... what is crazy, is this is barely cheaper than the 6 days we did for 3 of us in December... amazing how a couple extra days and an extra person isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things...

Will be watching the thread and continuing to scheme!
Mommy2PrincessAbby -

Scheme away!

I'm glad you joined in! By the way, did you ever finish your December TR? I know you started it - and I put a link to it in the TR section of the brand new ("Under Construction") Christmas Superthread - but I wasn't sure if it had been completed. Off the top of my head I was trying to remember as many holiday TR's as I could to add the links to that section, but I know I left out a lot. I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap again and try to remember whose holiday Trip Reports I left out.

And I totally know what you mean about staying onsite. It's an expensive and impractical (and not always feasible) preference, but I think that once a family/group/person stays onsite for several trips in a row it is hard to not stay onsite for subsequent trips! For me, it totally enhances and adds to my experience to stay onsite. I can't always swing it - and if I can't, then I will just go home at the end of the night. But it really makes my trip more complete to stay at one of the Disney hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
There is a slight chance that I will get a little bonus trip to Disneyland right at the beginning of the Halloween season. Our original plan had been to head for WDW during the Halloween season and combine this with a cruise out of Galveston. However, they are offering great deals on the May Panama Canal cruise and DH has said that if they offer the same kind of deals for the September cruise, I can book it. This would mean that we would have a full day at Disneyland on September 13th.

Corinna
Hello, Corinna - and Happy New Year to you (is is too late to be saying Happy New Year?)!

I'm glad to hear that you may be getting in a short Halloween visit in September. I hope it works out. I remember you had previously told me that you didn't think a Halloween trip would be in the works for a while, and the expected Disneyland Christmas trip is not happening until 2014, correct?

September 13th will be an interesting day. Isn't that day a part of the Limited Time Magic highlights, with a special Villains theme or something? So I wonder if Disney will let the Villains loose on 9/13 but then keep the access to them limited once again throughout the rest of the season, except for at the parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vala View Post
I'm definitely back on board this year as well. Coming in October 15, staying until the 29th or 30th. Hotel is already booked. Can't wait - it's been way too long!
Hello, Vala!

That's right - you were not able to do a Halloween trip last year, were you? I can't recall the details, but didn't you have to skip it in 2012? Plans fell through or something?

Anyway, knowing what a big Halloween Time fan you are I'm glad that you have a new trip in the works!

Last edited by Sherry E; 01-19-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Tags
decorations, halloween, halloween party, halloween time, haunted mansion holiday, mhp, mickey's halloween party, october, september, treats

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: