Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #766
dhorner233
Disneyophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleygirl View Post
THANK YOU for that podcast. I love the information gathering I can do because of it!

One of the biggest things I got out of it was that it was recommended that we see the fireworks. Got it on the top of the list now. We also just watched Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time last night (thank GOODNESS DD age 5 didn't get scared) so we now are more familiar with the characters.

My question is where are the fireworks held? I'm guessing over Sleeping Beauty's castle? If so, is there a good place to watch them? Did I hear there was a parade or cavalcade before the fireworks?

I have a hard time believing that the kids will be able to pull off late nights all three nights we are there....we are doing WOC on Thursday night (again, thank goodness that is only a 8:00pm show and not later) then the party Friday and then we can go back to the hotel when we need on Saturday. It is a 2 hour time difference for us.

Thanks for all the great tips! I'll be listening to the next one too before we leave!
I am listening to the pod cast and they were just talking about how it's important that you be able to see the left side of the castle, so don't go to far toward Tomorrowland. They suggested behind the Partners statue. And then to move onto Main St. by the Kodak store for the Cavalcade.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #767
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

rwhistler92 -

The thing is that Disney seems to be making a concerted effort to limit the availability/accessibility of certain characters during the daytime this year. In the past, the Villains were out and about for photos in the daytime, and various characters were wearing Halloween costumes on Main Street.

This year it appears that only certain costume-clad characters can be found at the "Carnival," while you can only "conjure up" one Villain at a time in the tent that's there. The actual party is where there will be all kinds of interesting photo spots around the park - not just at the Carnival. For example, in the podcast the Storm Troopers were mentioned. They won't be out in the daytime. They would only be at the party. Jack Sparrow is a party regular.

Most of the photo spots at the party are PhotoPass as well.

Corinna -

I've seen a few shows on TV that feature the Christmas markets in Germany, Switzerland and...where was the other one? Was it France? I can't recall. I know there were 3 different European countries featured in the Christmas market specials I saw. When I was watching the specials I thought, "Oooooh! I love those! Why don't we have any Christmas markets in Los Angeles?" I would be all over that!

In Washington state there is a town called Leavenworth that turns into a whole Christmas village in the month or two leading up to Christmas - they do it up BIG, from what I've seen on TV. They really make Christmas time - the whole season - an event that the entire town participates in, and every home/shop/restaurant gets in on the act. It is a true celebration. I would love love love to go there and see it in person. As much as I love Los Angeles, I would love to live in Leavenworth just for the entire holiday season and then come back to L.A.!

You know, I've suspected for a long time that Disneyland would eventually do a Christmas party. Something has obviously been holding them back from it, because it would be so easy for them to just do it like they do the Halloween party. I think that they wanted to wait until the DCA makeover was complete - this could be to offer alternate holiday options for people who choose not to attend a party in Disneyland, OR it could be because they may start off by having a party in DCA first, before moving it over to DL. (And this would be a great way to debut an all-holiday World of Color or the rumored holiday Toy Story Midway Mania overlay.)

The existing holiday parade and holiday fireworks (which have been around for years) may not be enough to convince the longtime holiday visitors to pay for separate tickets (though the new visitors would probably do it) if they have already seen those events many times. So...it would make sense to throw something 'new' into the party mix to entice everyone to buy tickets - including the longtime holiday guests. And that 'new' thing may end up being the Candlelight Processional, if the 20-night run of the CP scores big this coming holiday season.

mrsw94 -

I think you should listen to it before!

Susiesark -

It seems like a lot of folks are looking for tickets for the sold out nights. Unfortunately, there are no buying/selling forums on this board, and the tickets are technically not supposed to be for resale anyway (unless they are handled through an authorized-by-Disney seller). So if you find tickets it will have to be on your own, away from the DIS.

volleygirl -

I'm glad you had a chance to listen to the podcast. If I recall, Mary Jo got into specifics about where to stand for the fireworks in the podcast to be sure to see everything, like the crystall ball, etc. (though I don't recall what her exact recommendation was).

Yes, there is a cavalcade that happens twice per party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorner233 View Post
I am listening to the pod cast and they were just talking about how it's important that you be able to see the left side of the castle, so don't go to far toward Tomorrowland. They suggested behind the Partners statue. And then to move onto Main St. by the Kodak store for the Cavalcade.
Thanks for that info, Denise! As you can see above, I was just referring to Mary Jo's tips on where to stand for the parade, but I couldn't recall what she was saying (as MJ was talking I was thinking up the next tips and info that I was going to give in the podcast!).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #768
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Corinna -

I've seen a few shows on TV that feature the Christmas markets in Germany, Switzerland and...where was the other one? Was it France? I can't recall. I know there were 3 different European countries featured in the Christmas market specials I saw. When I was watching the specials I thought, "Oooooh! I love those! Why don't we have any Christmas markets in Los Angeles?" I would be all over that!

In Washington state there is a town called Leavenworth that turns into a whole Christmas village in the month or two leading up to Christmas - they do it up BIG, from what I've seen on TV. They really make Christmas time - the whole season - an event that the entire town participates in, and every home/shop/restaurant gets in on the act. It is a true celebration. I would love love love to go there and see it in person. As much as I love Los Angeles, I would love to live in Leavenworth just for the entire holiday season and then come back to L.A.!

You know, I've suspected for a long time that Disneyland would eventually do a Christmas party. Something has obviously been holding them back from it, because it would be so easy for them to just do it like they do the Halloween party. I think that they wanted to wait until the DCA makeover was complete - this could be to offer alternate holiday options for people who choose not to attend a party in Disneyland, OR it could be because they may start off by having a party in DCA first, before moving it over to DL. (And this would be a great way to debut an all-holiday World of Color or the rumored holiday Toy Story Midway Mania overlay.)

The existing holiday parade and holiday fireworks (which have been around for years) may not be enough to convince the longtime holiday visitors to pay for extra tickets (though the new visitors would probably do it) if they have already seen those events many times. So...it would make sense to throw something 'new' into the party mix to entice everyone to buy tickets - including the longtime holiday guests. And that 'new' thing may end up being the Candlelight Processional, if the 20-night run of the CP scores big this coming holiday season.
I am not sure what the third country may be. I have never really looked beyond Germany as I had so many Christmas markets to choose from. They are actually starting to branch out into the UK. We have a European Christmas Market in our home town now that grows bigger year by year and a lot of the bigger cities in the UK also have Christmas markets.

I have to say I love the sound of a special Holiday version of World of Color and a holiday overlay for Toy Story Midway Mania. I still think I would prefer the party at Disneyland.

Corinna
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #769
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Another note - still no fastpass for HM! (But the line isn't long.)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #770
laura&fam
we must never, never doubt what no one is sure about

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
Another note - still no fastpass for HM! (But the line isn't long.)
I thought they always had a FP for HM, even without it being popular with the overlay. When did that change or am I remembering wrong? It's been far too long since I've been to DL.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #771
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura&fam

I thought they always had a FP for HM, even without it being popular with the overlay. When did that change or am I remembering wrong? It's been far too long since I've been to DL.
They have a FP, but the machine is rarely turned on. I've seen it in use last Halloween, butility it wasn't on this morning.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #772
mrsw94
DIS Veteran

I am SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
Decided to stop by Goodwill with the kiddos. TOTAL score!! Cute Alice in Wonderland costume for DD10 for the Halloween Party, plus and Eskimo costume for her to wear to school (5th graders don't wear Disney costumes), Astronaut costume for DS4 No helmet, but truthfully, he wouldn't wear it anyway. And a cool hippie skirt so DH and I will be hippies!! $5.49 each!!!! Soooooo within my budget!!! Still have to finish up DH & mine, but I'm so happy to have our plans in place!!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #773
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDarkstar View Post
any one going tonight that can post a map?? lol and tell us where the bad guys are lol have fun i cant wait
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/im...loween-map.htm
This is the map of Disneyland's Mickey's Trick or Treat Party.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #774
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/im...loween-map.htm
This is the map of Disneyland's Mickey's Trick or Treat Party.
That's last year's map.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #775
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
That's last year's map.
Sorry Hopefully, someone will get a current one to post tonight.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #776
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

Just got back to the room from MHP.

The villains are mainly around the square, 4 at a time. Got quite a few pics though the lines can get big and the villains change fast. The changing is quite cool with a horse drawn carriage and great music.

The parade was blazingly fast!!! I couldn't get many shots as the people/characters were moving so much and so fast. The fireworks were awesome! The rocking version of Ghost Come Out to Socialize was wicked. Got to find a copy of it.

Here are a couple teaser shots -

More to come.

Jim

Trips: DL - 4, WDW - 4, DCL - 3, Next - TBD DCL
Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #777
Disneyland 1951
Mouseketeer

Halloween Parade Video

LINK: http://youtu.be/1EPArpnzoGc

Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 09-29-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #778
TheZue
DIS Veteran

Just got back to our room...saw tons of characters. The highlight was catching Agent P when Phineas and Ferb went on break we got a massive amount if candy. Filled 2 of the large Disney shopping bags. We waited on mainstreet and tomorrow land until the end and headed straight to frontier land which worked out really well. The park started clearing out after the fireworks. We didn't watch them because my youngest has been scared of everything slightly scary on this trip lol. The rivers of America looked awesome...they had fog rolling across it with some really neat lighting on the island.

World didn't end, I'm going back!

Past Disneyland visits: 1983, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012
How the heck do I not have a tag yet???
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #779
dhorner233
Disneyophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Candyman View Post
Just got back to the room from MHP.

The villains are mainly around the square, 4 at a time. Got quite a few pics though the lines can get big and the villains change fast. The changing is quite cool with a horse drawn carriage and great music.

The parade was blazingly fast!!! I couldn't get many shots as the people/characters were moving so much and so fast. The fireworks were awesome! The rocking version of Ghost Come Out to Socialize was wicked. Got to find a copy of it.

Here are a couple teaser shots -

More to come.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
Halloween Parade Video

LINK: http://youtu.be/1EPArpnzoGc

Thank you so much for the pictures and video! Now, please a MAP from this year!! I want to have my evening planned before I hit the ground! Love the kilt and the DW's dress!! I'd like to see more pictures of guests in their costumes to make sure I won't feel too silly being Dopey!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #780
Kilala
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the wonderful pics.

Tags
decorations, halloween, halloween party, halloween time, haunted mansion holiday, mhp, mickey's halloween party, october, september, treats

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: