Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #451
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Love the themes and photos...they are getting me so exited for our trip.
I am kind of sad thinking about the hidden gem that is Big Thunder Ranch, will not be that hidden this year in October.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Last edited by Girimama33; 09-08-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #452
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer

Thank-you Sherry for this thread......I love all the photos and ideas. I have booked the tour with my DD because of this! We also have looked at all the photos with our son....I did not know about the day of the dead celebration in Frontierland. He can get funny when it comes to death and dying. This has helped as we have explained the celebratory aspect of it and seeing the pictures helped us prepare him. I think he will be just fine....but it may have gone the other way if we had been surprised by it!

And OMG...the treats!!!!!!! We have already gone through the photos and everyone has picked their "must-haves"!

I can't wait to see what is coming during the daily countdown! We will be there next Sunday....so this has been so much fun and added to our excitement!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #453
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Love the themes and photos...they are getting me so exited for our trip.
I am kind of sad thinking about the hidden germ that is Big Thunder Ranch, will not be that hidden this year in October.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Girimama33 -

You know...I won't lie. I thought of the same thing...that the Round-Up/Ranch area (or whatever it is being called this year) will now be flooded with more people than before. I didn't want to say it earlier because I thought I might jinx it for everyone, but it did cross my mind. There was already a lot going on in that spot as it was - pumpkin carving, baby animals, the Scare-Dy-Crow Shack, the dining area, the stage, characters here and there, etc. I think that having the Villains back there will definitely bring more people in.

Also - and this is probably silly to even mention - conceptually, the Villains being over at the Round-Up/Ranch/Jamboree area seems odd to me. It doesn't make much sense in terms of themes and all of that. The Villains don't really fit with that kind of 'rustic Autumn harvest' vibe. They fit better in Fantasyland. But I suppose that when DLR realized they would have to move the Villains from the IASW spot, they had very few choices of where to put them where they would have enough space to pose for photos on a regular basis. So they decided that they'd have to go back in the Ranch area.

I don't know. We'll see how it works out and if the Villains seem to 'fit' in with all the other Ranch-y decor! They may totally stick out. Several years ago the Villains had their photo spot in DCA - in the Hollywood area. That wasn't ideal, but it makes a bit more sense to me than where they will be this year. But maybe it will work just fine. I'll reserve judgment until I see what happens in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddygirl View Post
Thank-you Sherry for this thread......I love all the photos and ideas. I have booked the tour with my DD because of this! We also have looked at all the photos with our son....I did not know about the day of the dead celebration in Frontierland. He can get funny when it comes to death and dying. This has helped as we have explained the celebratory aspect of it and seeing the pictures helped us prepare him. I think he will be just fine....but it may have gone the other way if we had been surprised by it!

And OMG...the treats!!!!!!! We have already gone through the photos and everyone has picked their "must-haves"!

I can't wait to see what is coming during the daily countdown! We will be there next Sunday....so this has been so much fun and added to our excitement!
Eddygirl -

You're very welcome - and thank you for joining us, and for the kind words! I'm so glad the themes have been successful and that you (and your family) have enjoyed all the photos - as well as gotten some good ideas.

We've had some amazing contributions from people to this thread so far. I am very grateful to everyone for participating - the Theme Week Countdown was a big hit in the Christmas Superthread last year (and seems to be off to a good start in the Christmas Superthread again this year), but I wasn't sure if it would work as well in the Halloween thread, for a few reasons. It has turned out better than I expected, which is great!

Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead is always a little creepy to look at - all those skeletons everywhere - but it is colorful, and it definitely about celebration.

The daily themes are basically the mini-themes that probably wouldn't yield enough 'material' for a full week, and yet, I have a hunch that at least Bret/mvf-m11c will have quite a few photos to share for a couple of the mini-themes.

The treats are quite delightful, during both Halloween Time and the holiday season. I don't know if there is anywhere in DCA that still makes it, but at the Boudin Bakery they used to sell bread that was baked in a pumpkin mold. There are fun demitasse desserts in Halloween mugs, pumpkin pie, pumpkin raisin muffins, cupcakes, fudge, etc., etc.

Again, thank you for joining us here - and stay tuned as the mini-themes come rolling out each day during the week until Friday.

Also, I would guess that starting Monday (9/10), we will begin to see pictures and hear info trickle out from the parks. Usually, the decorations start to go up several days before Halloween Time starts, so I think that the giant Mickey pumpkin will be up by Wednesday or Thursday of next week, and the pumpkins above the turnstiles will be up (probably) by Monday or Tuesday.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #454
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Corinna -

I'm looking forward to your photos! I wondered where you were during Treats & Treasures week!
For some reason I had taken no photos whatsoever of merchandise or treats.

Corinna
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #456
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Great photos! These may be a tad off theme but hey - I was late to the thread party

Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #457
iKristin

DIS Veteran

Disney Blog just announced there will be a Halloween Carnival this year at DL!!!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...isneyland-park

Old 09-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #458
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

TK -

Your adorable and fun pictures are off-theme for the general Mickey's Halloween Party Theme Week (unless they were taken at the MHP), but I will let you slide this time, as they fit in perfectly with my daily mini-theme for today. You're in luck!

Remember, too, that I'm doing a different daily mini-theme all week, and there will be a big Miscellaneous theme on Friday, September 14th! That's only 6 days away - anything that didn't make it into previous theme weeks, or any other Halloween Time-related photos you want to post, can go into that theme/day.

Kristin - I know, it's exciting, isn't it? Yesterday, I'm mikey posted a link to the Blog and an excerpt from it, and we were discussing the fact that the Villains have been ousted from their Fantasyland spot!

It sounds as though the Carnival is just the newer, fancier name given to the Ranch/Round-Up area because Disney had to add some things into it with the Villains being there and all. I am hoping that they don't cut back on all the amazing carved pumpkins by downsizing the area to make room for other things.

Corinna -

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful MHP photos. I can't believe you didn't have treats/treasures photos to share! I would have thought for sure that you'd have a few.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #459
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

With less than one week to go until September 14th rolls around, you know what that means....

It’s time for the Daily Countdown to Halloween Time!!!

...Only 6 Days Until
Halloween Time Begins at Disneyland Resort!!!!

Each day this week there will be a new Halloween Time mini-theme. Some of the daily themes will tie in to a theme from the prior day or from the following day, or even tie into the main theme for the week (which is Mickey’s Halloween Party until 9/14). If you don’t have any photos from the MHP, you may have photos for one of the mini-themes. You may have photos that apply to both the mini-themes and the weekly themes. It’s all good!

Everyone’s photos will fit into the themes one way or the other – whether it’s the overall weekly theme or the daily mini-themes, or both! Everything should blend together and (hopefully) transition nicely so that no one has to sit out of the photo-sharing fun for longer than a couple of days.

In the spotlight today….

HALLOWEEN TIME CHARACTERS!!!

During Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort, sometimes the characters in the parks will dress in costume and/or pose at designated photo spots just for the season. You can often find them around Town Square, in Fantasyland or at the Halloween Round-Up. For the actual Halloween Party, some of the characters will wear different outfits than the Halloween costumes they wore during the day.

Today I am posting only a few pictures (because I don’t seem to have many character photos from last year), but feel free to share any Halloween Time character photos you have!!!!!

Woody was hanging out at the Halloween Round-Up in 2009, but he didn’t look too Halloween-ish…and neither did the Halloween Round-Up, as you can see in the background!

The 2009 Villains photo spot at IASW (regular pictures, not PhotoPass)…

I used a border from Photobucket’s Disney Parks Effects (which are long gone) for the above photo, as it was not a PhotoPass picture…

In 2011, Mickey was a dancin’ fool to “Under the Sea” (notice the Halloween-accented trim on his outfit!)…

In 2011, Jack Skellington posed with a couple of happy travelers in New Orleans Square (whose faces I will keep hidden)…

Pumpkin Donald was a big hit with the folks in Town Square in 2011…

This is Mickey at the Halloween Party in 2011, right outside the Big Thunder Ranch/Halloween Round-Up area…

(with fellow DIS’ers smile4stamps & Belle Ella)

Stay tuned for another daily countdown mini-theme tomorrow …and then we finally wrap up our countdowns and themes on Friday, September 14th!!

I will be doing mini-daily themes every day from today (Saturday, September 8th) through Thursday, September 13th, and then the final weekly theme will be on Friday, September 14th – but please continue to post your Mickey’s Halloween Party pictures all week long if you have them (or any other mini-theme photos too)!!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #461
Chereya
DIS Veteran

What fun pictures dolphingirl! I love all of your different costumes!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #462
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Oh my goodness! Those are the cutest pictures, Corinna!

Actually, I have been loving all the character pictures that I've seen everyone contribute so far. They all came out really well - nice and colorful & bright. Everyone looks so happy and good! I absolutely adore TK's picture with Mickey above.

Corinna - Your Pumpkin Duffy picture reminds me that I should have stopped to get a photo with him last year, and I didn't. I made sure to stop in December and get a Santa Duffy photo, but I didn't stop for Pumpkin Duffy and I am not sure why! I even stopped at his Halloween photo spot, but just didn't get an actual picture with him in that cute pumpkin outfit. Oh well, there is always this year!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #463
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess

WDW's MNSSHP Character picture

We took other pictures, but Mickey wasn't dressed up and the others were with the princesses. We we went, this was the only day is rained. When it rains, the characters aren't very easy to find.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #464
I'm mikey
DIS Veteran

Old 09-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #465
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy_Mom View Post
WDW's MNSSHP Character picture

We took other pictures, but Mickey wasn't dressed up and the others were with the princesses. We we went, this was the only day is rained. When it rains, the characters aren't very easy to find.
Goofy_Mom -

Even if Mickey wasn't dressed up when you saw him, I'm glad to see that Pumpkin Donald stays consistent in his Halloween garb from WDW to DLR! We can't have him being a pumpkin at one resort, and then wearing a totally different costume at the other resort!

Rain does interfere with characters, that's for sure. Sometimes Chip & Dale will mosey over from Storytellers Cafe and come to the Grand Californian Hotel lobby at DLR to entertain the kids on rainy days...of course, that doesn't help much if it's raining in the parks. They all disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm mikey View Post

Mike -

Those are fantastic character pictures! The personalities of the characters really come across amazingly well.

Closed Thread

Tags
decorations, halloween, halloween party, halloween time, haunted mansion holiday, mhp, mickey's halloween party, october, september, treats

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: