Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #1471
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Last night Chef Eugene at the Poly really outdid himself and brought us out two plates of ribs. He is a fabulous asset to the CL staff.
That's sounds lovely!!!! Can't wait for our first CL stay there next month!!! What other CL teasers can you give me???

Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #1472
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Last night Chef Eugene at the Poly really outdid himself and brought us out two plates of ribs. He is a fabulous asset to the CL staff.
Two plates of ribs???? I have to make friends with Chef Eugene!!!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #1473
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
That's sounds lovely!!!! Can't wait for our first CL stay there next month!!! What other CL teasers can you give me???

Anything you want, just ask! Today my friend needed a razor and they brought him 2 and mini can of Barbasol shaving cream. They are so accommodating
Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Two plates of ribs???? I have to make friends with Chef Eugene!!!
He's a very sweet man. We've gotten to know him pretty well over the past few years. That's what's great about the CMs here. They remember you and you feel like family. Today Tom from the desk stopped us on our way out because he wouldn't be back before we checked out and wanted to say goodbye. Everyone here really is top notch.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #1474
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Anything you want, just ask! Today my friend needed a razor and they brought him 2 and mini can of Barbasol shaving cream. They are so accommodating

He's a very sweet man. We've gotten to know him pretty well over the past few years. That's what's great about the CMs here. They remember you and you feel like family. Today Tom from the desk stopped us on our way out because he wouldn't be back before we checked out and wanted to say goodbye. Everyone here really is top notch.
Quick question - I have read about asking for certain foods that might not be out but that the CMs would get for me. Can you tell me anything specific?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #1475
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Hey guys - we just checked into the YC CL. There have been questions about the bottled water situation in the lounges, so I just wanted to say that the CM checking us in told us to ask for any large bottles of Evian we want to take to our room and that they could also give us small plastic bottles of Dasani to take to the parks.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1476
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbat View Post
Hey guys - we just checked into the YC CL. There have been questions about the bottled water situation in the lounges, so I just wanted to say that the CM checking us in told us to ask for any large bottles of Evian we want to take to our room and that they could also give us small plastic bottles of Dasani to take to the parks.
Awesome! Thanks for update.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1477
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,

We are coming in October and staying for 5 days at BC CL. First time on property so super excited!

My question is how many of you have the DP while staying CL vs OOP. This whole time I have been thinking about the possibility of FD for my dates and now I am wondering if RO dsct would be a better option for us. (assuming they offer it)

We aren't big sit down eaters and know we will take advantage of the CL offerings. I have the Hoop de Doo, Prime Time Cafe (Lunch) and Tusker house (lunch) planned.

Thanks for your opionions!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #1478
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post
Hi everyone,

We are coming in October and staying for 5 days at BC CL. First time on property so super excited!

My question is how many of you have the DP while staying CL vs OOP. This whole time I have been thinking about the possibility of FD for my dates and now I am wondering if RO dsct would be a better option for us. (assuming they offer it)

We aren't big sit down eaters and know we will take advantage of the CL offerings. I have the Hoop de Doo, Prime Time Cafe (Lunch) and Tusker house (lunch) planned.

Staying at BC is a super choice! It's among my favorite resorts! The pool are is tons of fun.

The short answer is that you are better off with OOP over DDP. Further, at deluxe resorts the RO discount is almost always the better deal (over FD). Run the math for yourself. You might be an exception. Figuring WDW discounts is always a bit tricky, as there are going to be different answers depending on dates, room rates, who is in your family, personal eating habits, etc.

The other opinion I'll interject- is that if this is your first visit to WDW, you might want to skip CL - see below.

In the past, paying for DDP was a good way to get a food discount. Over the last few years, they've jacked up the price, and changed the details. Simply put, it's just not worth buying anymore. It's almost a sure fire way to lose money. DDP is also always a bit of a hassle.

If you are on CL, you get access to a mini-buffet 7am-10pm, but it's just snack foods and drinks. Most of the food is relatively plain. It's not nearly as exciting as the snack foods offered in the parks. You'll be turning down Mickey-shaped wild confections in favor of cheese cubes and whole Sunkist oranges.

A second downside of CL, is that you have to be at the lounge to get the food. WDW is HUGE! Going back to you resort just for cookies doesn't make sense. (Via WDW transport- it often takes an hour + to go one-way from the park back to your resort. ) Most guests are FAR better off buying cookies in the park, and utilizing Fast pass. Fast pass is a very important perk at WDW. I enjoy CL, but I am thoroughly a WDW veteran.

A few years ago, CL would not have been a good choice for us. We ate eggs for breakfast, and would have skipped the appetizers/desserts nearly every day. We dramatically changed how we toured when we started staying CL. I had let go of the idea of hitting every ride, and being on the go all day.

It may be a great fit for your family, I just mean to point out that it's far from a great fit for everyone. One thing to know about WDW- they are great about offering all kinds of services to fit the needs of all kinds of families. IF you want to cheap and low: groceries/packed lunches, basic style resorts- Disney has that. If you want super deluxe suites, full security detail, custom everything, personal guides five-star dining (think folks like Oprah) - Disney can provide that too! The challenge is how complicated it can be to choose the best option!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1479
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are staying CL and have the dining plan - though it was free dining. For us, we need at least 35% off of the room to make paying out of pocket for meals to be worth it. There are 5 of us, so the cost of food tends to be pretty high. We all have very individual tastes in food, so sharing entrees, etc., just doesn't happen for us. Add to that the fact that we do like character meals, and we do at least one sit down meal per day, the dining plan makes sense. Especially when we tend to favor the steaks and seafood on the menu rather than the chicken and pasta.

The food wasn't the main reason we picked CL, though. My husband likes the extra pampering, evening turndown service, and the special perks you get with the IPO. We will likely eat in the lounge for breakfast most days, but not likely for snacks or appetizers.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #1480
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbat View Post
awesome! hope it stays the same in 72 days!

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #1481
DisneyLover0610
Mouseketeer

Hello!

Staying CL for the very first time this October! Yacht Club, GV - I am beyond excited, and it will be a surprise to my husband!
I booked all of my ADR's before I upgraded to CL, so I don't need IPO. Is there anything else you can suggest I "use" them for?
Also, I've read that those working on CL cannot take tips so I'd like to bring them something from "home" - what are some ideas?
Thanks so much!
'83, '85, '92, '99, '03, '05, '06, '08 - Engagement Extravaganza, '10 - Honeymoon with Family & Friends, '11 - "Real" Honeymoon/Anniversary, '12 - Flower & Garden with Mom, '12 - Just Because, '13 - Surprise Day Trip for Husband's Bday, '13 - Our First CL Experience! Beach Club, '14 - Flower & Garden with Mom AND Dad!
October 2014 - We Can't Stay Away

Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #1482
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLover0610 View Post
Hello!

Staying CL for the very first time this October! Yacht Club, GV - I am beyond excited, and it will be a surprise to my husband!
I booked all of my ADR's before I upgraded to CL, so I don't need IPO. Is there anything else you can suggest I "use" them for?
Also, I've read that those working on CL cannot take tips so I'd like to bring them something from "home" - what are some ideas?
Thanks so much!
Well we switched to CL after our 180 day mark and I contacted them (info on first page) and they sent me an information packet by email to fill out about our family, travel times, ADR's, celebrations, etc.

I have read here about people bringing food gifts from their hometowns. I'm thinking of bringing some Tastykakes. I would love to bring them some soft pretzels or cheesesteaks but they won't travel very well.

Enjoy your planning.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-CL and BWI

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #1483
Anonomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone,

If you can get 35% or more off a CL room, I'd say pick that over FD. We've stayed CL three times without the dining plan and we haven't missed it. This past trip in particular, the weather was warm enough that none of us were all that hungry. We ate breakfast in the lounge, bought a CS lunch in the parks and hit the lounge in the evening for appetizers, with the plan of buying one or two CS entrees later on to split among the five of us. On two separate nights, we found that we didn't need to buy those planned dinners after all -- we were still plenty full from the lounge.

Of course, that meant that we would be at our resort at some time between 5-7 each night to take advantage of the lounge offerings. With three small kids (7, 4, 1.5) that wasn't an issue for us, but it might be for you. I'd say look at the way you use the parks, the hours you're typically back at the hotel and how hungry you usually are and make your decision from there.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #1484
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We stayed at BC CL our first time on property, too and we wouldn't have had it any other way. No regrets at all!!! We LOVED the resort and we LOVED CL. I personally like CL better than the dining plan. We really like to be on our own with meals and snack when we want to, sit down when we want to, etc. We don't like to be on that much of a schedule or feel like dining points are going to waste. And, we don't always want to order an entire meal.

When we stayed CL at the BC it was great because it's right by Epcot. So, if we wanted a light meal we could just walk to Epcot, in about 5 minutes, and grab something in one of the countries.

CL is not a meal replacement (except for breakfast) but I would still never do CL and DP. I feel like I'd always be eating. We're doing CL for our next trip, too, and paying for meals OOP. Hope this helps!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #1485
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post

Staying at BC is a super choice! It's among my favorite resorts! The pool are is tons of fun.

The short answer is that you are better off with OOP over DDP. Further, at deluxe resorts the RO discount is almost always the better deal (over FD). Run the math for yourself. You might be an exception. Figuring WDW discounts is always a bit tricky, as there are going to be different answers depending on dates, room rates, who is in your family, personal eating habits, etc.

The other opinion I'll interject- is that if this is your first visit to WDW, you might want to skip CL - see below.

In the past, paying for DDP was a good way to get a food discount. Over the last few years, they've jacked up the price, and changed the details. Simply put, it's just not worth buying anymore. It's almost a sure fire way to lose money. DDP is also always a bit of a hassle.

If you are on CL, you get access to a mini-buffet 7am-10pm, but it's just snack foods and drinks. Most of the food is relatively plain. It's not nearly as exciting as the snack foods offered in the parks. You'll be turning down Mickey-shaped wild confections in favor of cheese cubes and whole Sunkist oranges.

A second downside of CL, is that you have to be at the lounge to get the food. WDW is HUGE! Going back to you resort just for cookies doesn't make sense. (Via WDW transport- it often takes an hour + to go one-way from the park back to your resort. ) Most guests are FAR better off buying cookies in the park, and utilizing Fast pass. Fast pass is a very important perk at WDW. I enjoy CL, but I am thoroughly a WDW veteran.

A few years ago, CL would not have been a good choice for us. We ate eggs for breakfast, and would have skipped the appetizers/desserts nearly every day. We dramatically changed how we toured when we started staying CL. I had let go of the idea of hitting every ride, and being on the go all day.

It may be a great fit for your family, I just mean to point out that it's far from a great fit for everyone. One thing to know about WDW- they are great about offering all kinds of services to fit the needs of all kinds of families. IF you want to cheap and low: groceries/packed lunches, basic style resorts- Disney has that. If you want super deluxe suites, full security detail, custom everything, personal guides five-star dining (think folks like Oprah) - Disney can provide that too! The challenge is how complicated it can be to choose the best option!
Thanks so much for your response!!! This is our 2nd visit but we really want it to be kind of a resort relax stay as well. I think the benefits of CL will help with that too. I definitely see your point though about bring tied to the resort and missing out on park time. We have hoppers and my plans are to head out after breakfast and then have big lunch in park, come back rest and then head back out in the evening.

I think knowing how we eat and share and such we might come out way better paying OOP. Will have to look at menu prices.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: