Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

Why the Poly??

I need some help!! Our last 5 trip to Disney have been at Moderate resorts. Only once (our honeymoon) have we stayed deluxe. Every time we plan our trips, we price out the Poly and everytime we end up booking moderate. It's not that we can't afford the Poly, but we are conscience with our spending and keep talking ourselves out of spending the extra cash. So, it's time to plan our next vacation (September 2013) and we keep going back to the Poly but keep talking ourselves out of it because we know what a great time we can have at the moderate resorts. So, Poly Lovers, please convince us why the Poly is worth the extra money (transporation aside because that's an obvious one!). Thanks in advance!!

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR
nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
wood8176
Mouseketeer

Poly

I'll start with a few that I like. I'm sure others will add more reasons...
1. Love O'hana! (and the Kona Coffee)
2. Pools seem less crowded than at moderate resorts
3. I love the overall ambiance and decor.

wood8176 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
abner1776
DIS Veteran

I am not necessarily a Poly lover since I have never stayed at the Poly, but I have eaten there a number of times and walked through the entire resort on many an occasion. I cannot comment on the rooms, but since returning from Hawaii last year for 2 weeks, I can say that the Poly reminds me of those two great weeks in Kona on the big island and Hanalai Bay on Kauai.

The Poly is almost like an escape from (dare I say this) Disney World and from our everyday lives. WDW is great and I love our trips to get away from the Boston winters, but at times we even need time away from Mickey and Minnie and the Poly provides that...even though I have never stayed there. Someday we may stay at the Poly but as a DVC member, it will be not be until they build the Poly Villas.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki7680 View Post
I need some help!! Our last 5 trip to Disney have been at Moderate resorts. Only once (our honeymoon) have we stayed deluxe. Every time we plan our trips, we price out the Poly and everytime we end up booking moderate. It's not that we can't afford the Poly, but we are conscience with our spending and keep talking ourselves out of spending the extra cash. So, it's time to plan our next vacation (September 2013) and we keep going back to the Poly but keep talking ourselves out of it because we know what a great time we can have at the moderate resorts. So, Poly Lovers, please convince us why the Poly is worth the extra money (transporation aside because that's an obvious one!). Thanks in advance!!
I have not yet stayed at the Poly, however, for our last trip in July, we made the decision to stay deluxe for the first time. I was very hesitant because I did not know if spending the extra money would be "worth it". It wasn't a matter of affording it, just like you, being frugal.

Well, we ended up staying at the WL - and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Absolutely worth every penny...so much so that we are doing it again in April, though we really wanted to try somewhere new, we are drawn back to WL again.

We would have never known if we didn't suck it up and give it a try.

You can read other's responses and previous threads on why people will say its "worth it" or not, but really, the only way you'll really know is to try it yourself.

At worst, you'll still have an amazing vacation at Disney, maybe thinking deluxes aren't for you in the future, but at least you'll definitively know.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
brea
Mouseketeer

I've been to Disney three times in my life now. Twice to the Contemporary and once to the Poly. My wife on the other had has only been once at the Poly.

She has a clear leaning towards the Deluxe resorts for the transportation benefits but there are other reasons.

Transportation - We were coming back from AKL and had just missed our bus. No big deal. We hopped on the GF bus that was getting ready to leave and took the monorail back to our resort. We got into our room and back out. I saw one couple that stayed behind waiting for the next poly bus just walking into the resort while I was walking into the GCH for some nighttime shopping. They asked how we got back so quickly and I explained. Doesn't seem to be possible at the moderates.

1. She took a good look at the Contemporary and GF and has no desire to stay at either. She said the ambiance of the Poly just really gave her a feeling of "being on vacation" more so than any of the others.
2. She considers Kona Cafe to be her breakfast home away from home
3. Watching the fireworks from the beach was a lot of fun (DW looks forward to doing that with a pineapple drink in hand when we go back as she was pregnant)
4. Dinners at Ohana are amazing and you're already home!
5. Much much easier to get back to your resort with kids and/or tired feet

Not sure if that convinces you to spend the extra money or not but it's more than enough for us!
brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
nikki7680
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I have not yet stayed at the Poly, however, for our last trip in July, we made the decision to stay deluxe for the first time. I was very hesitant because I did not know if spending the extra money would be "worth it". It wasn't a matter of affording it, just like you, being frugal.

Well, we ended up staying at the WL - and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Absolutely worth every penny...so much so that we are doing it again in April, though we really wanted to try somewhere new, we are drawn back to WL again.

We would have never known if we didn't suck it up and give it a try.

You can read other's responses and previous threads on why people will say its "worth it" or not, but really, the only way you'll really know is to try it yourself.

At worst, you'll still have an amazing vacation at Disney, maybe thinking deluxes aren't for you in the future, but at least you'll definitively know.
We were also looking at WL. How long did it take via bus to get to all the parks?

Take Me To My Happy Place! September 2014 PTR
nikki7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were also looking at WL. How long did it take via bus to get to all the parks?
To MK --> Easy, peasy 5 minutes (but you also have the boat option too, which tends to be a little bit longer, but is nice and relaxing)

We were really no more than 10 minutes from any of the other parks...we did stop at Ft. Wilderness and GF on a couple of occassions, but it wasn't bad at all.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

The Poly is our favorite resort and we love everything about it:

1. beautiful tropical atmosphere
2. the beach for relaxing in a hammock watching the fireworks
3. the volcano pool with a distant view of the castle
4. large, spacious rooms (all with a daybed)
5. ability to walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail
6. relaxing to walk around at night under the lit tiki torches
7. Captain Cooks (great variety for quick CS meals/snacks)
8. Ohana
9. convenient for visiting, shopping, and/or dining at CR and GF

Good luck deciding, but I think you would really love the Poly (especially if you keep going back to it when planning a trip ). We've also stayed at the WL and while we love that resort as well, the Poly is our favorite .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Since you are considering WL, I thought I'd chime in and say we love it too. Bus transportation time is about 5 minutes more than the GF, since most park busses pick up at WL first, then drive over to GF, then on to the park. The total bus time for us in September was usually about 15-20 minutes.

Being located just across the lake from CR, WL has boat transportation options to MK (which takes about 15 minutes) or to CR (in about 5 minutes) where you can get on the monorail. It definitely isn't as quick as having the monorail in the lobby like Poly does, but it is only a short boat ride away, and you still have a bus option to Epcot at WL that you don't at the Poly.

Comparing WL to Poly, we preferred WL being a smaller resort that is entirely under one roof. Poly has multiple buildings that are more spread out, more like the Moderates. Another big difference is cost, because while both are considered Deluxe resorts, WL is less expensive. The rooms at WL are definitely smaller though.

Overall, it is all Disney so you really can't go wrong, but I would definitely consider WL if you are looking for another option. Either way though, the best way to see if a Deluxe resort is for you is to try it, but you are taking the risk that you'll be hooked.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Since you are considering WL, I thought I'd chime in and say we love it too. Bus transportation time is about 5 minutes more than the GF, since most park busses pick up at WL first, then drive over to GF, then on to the park. The total bus time for us in September was usually about 15-20 minutes.

Being located just across the lake from CR, WL has boat transportation options to MK (which takes about 15 minutes) or to CR (in about 5 minutes) where you can get on the monorail. It definitely isn't as quick as having the monorail in the lobby like Poly does, but it is only a short boat ride away, and you still have a bus option to Epcot at WL that you don't at the Poly.

Comparing WL to Poly, we preferred WL being a smaller resort that is entirely under one roof. Poly has multiple buildings that are more spread out, more like the Moderates. Another big difference is cost, because while both are considered Deluxe resorts, WL is less expensive. The rooms at WL are definitely smaller though.

Overall, it is all Disney so you really can't go wrong, but I would definitely consider WL if you are looking for another option. Either way though, the best way to see if a Deluxe resort is for you is to try it, but you are taking the risk that you'll be hooked.
I'll piggyback this and suggest going CL at WL.

PAST TRIPS:
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
jnota0005dakmc
Earning My Ears

I have spent time at Poly, Contemporary, WL, OKW among others... I would rank them in this order...

1. WL
2. Poly
3. Contemporary
4. OKW

I love the ambiance of the WL and am returning their in November... I have been to Poly once, for a week and have been back for the Spirit of Aloha twice... I am a fan of the resort, but lean toward WL because of the DVC... I do love the layout of this place, but it is a bit spread out (of course no where near like OKW is...) If you decide on Poly do yourself a favor an make reservations at either Whispering Canyon or Artist Point as both are awesome experiences...

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Check out my blog- The Tomorrowland Interplanetary Gazette
jnota0005dakmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
sndral
DIS Veteran

Why not ease up into the extra spending of deluxe by transitioning - I believe the least expensive deluxes are usually WL & AKL (some rooms,) next expensive are YC/BC/BWI, next up the ladder are CR then Poly and finally GF. Move up to a more 'reasonable' deluxe and see if the amenities have value for you.
BTW, if you really want to fall in love w/ the Poly, check out Tikiman's site - there's a wealth of info about everything Poly there.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
uagirl
Oh Toodles!

We just got back a week ago from a week at the Poly. I stayed at the Poly as a kid, but this was DHs first trip. We loved it so much our 2014 trip will be at the Poly. Here are our pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Convenience
  • Volcano/zero entry pool (great for those with small kids)
  • Ambiance, there really is nothing else like it
  • Wishes from the beach with the music piped in
  • Monorail to busy? Hop on a boat instead!

Cons:
  • Bus service shared with GF and Contemporary. We found buses were always 1/2 to 3/4 full by the time they made it to us
  • Captain Cooks always seemed packed, but that is probably the same everywhere
  • Resort is spread out. We previously stayed at WL and it didn't feel as big

Me-33 DH-33 Princess C-Bear-4 Princess C-Mouse - 4 months
uagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

The first time we stayed there was when my kids were 10, 7, and 5. There is something magical there. Watching the fireworks at night while your kids play on the beach in the sand is a moment I will cherish forever.

My kids do not want to stay anywhere else. What more can one ask for than to see the castle first thing every morning or every night before going to bed. I just love the Poly.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
maryj11
DIS Veteran

We use to be moderate people all the way until we stayed at the Poly. We have also stayed at WL and the Poly wins hands down
It is just such a relaxing tropical atmosphere, swimming at night while seeing the castle and fireworks along with the electrical water parade just cant be beat !
They have great restaurants. We loved Ohana's character breakfast and dinner. The transportation was the best I have had at any resort.
It just seemed more comfortable than any other Disney resort we had stayed at
What you should do at the end of your trip stay a few days at the Poly and try it out. That way you wont have to pay to much more and be able to see if you like it.

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: