Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Question about Harbour Lake lockouts

Hi - we have booked our stay at Harbour Lake, a 2 bedroom unit. I have a concern regarding the lockout setup and I'm debating requesting a dedicated 2 bdrm / non - lockout unit. DS3 is FASCINATED with locking and unlocking doors. I have a concern, since I've never stayed in a lockout, that either (a) he will lock himself in and us out or (b) he will get up in the middle of the night and let himself out directly if he has a door that opens to the outside.

Has anyone stayed in a lockout and can you explain to me what the door setup looks like?

I realize I could just make the request, but at the same time we are combining two reservations (one week plus a night) and I want to request a top floor. I was going to request top floor near the pools, but this would be a more important request and I don't want to be THAT person with a million requests, I'd rather have one or two that they will be more able to fulfill.

TIA!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
swilshire
DIS Veteran

We had a similar problem with our youngest, now 13yo. Our solution was to stack a couple of chairs against the door from our units. We considered the risk that he would be injured by the chairs to be less of a concern than the dangers of escaping the units. Since I'm a light sleeper and always slept with our bedroom door open, we assumed that any attempt to get out would wake me. Fortunately, it never happened.

I do remember my oldest trying to get out of a hotel room when she was little, but the stop prevented it (not sure what you call that thing you flip nearer the top of the door) and it woke us up.

I've never stayed in that resort, but typically a lockout has a foyer with a door inside going into each side of the unit. Since the outside door also locks, you could prop both doors open with something, but a dedicated unit would be better. You'd still want to take safety precautions.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reply - glad I'm not the only one I forgot about that break in stop thingie on the door - the little bugger isn't tall enough to reach that, so that will give me peace of mind (if Harbour Lake has those, which they probably do)

I guess I'll put in a request for a dedicated 2 bedroom.