DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Sheilaniccum
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2

DVC perks!

Hello everyone, I have a question or maybe a comment to see what other DVC members think. We recently made a trip to WDW and used our DVC for the first time. We were handed our Perks pamphlet with our discounts, which I thought could have been better. Later in the trip, our 8th day out of 10, we learned that there was such a thing called "The Tables of Wonderland", which gave us 20% off at most of the restaurants. Unlike being a DVC did not give you a discount at most restaurants. This would have saved us alot more money if we would have known about this little perk before our 8th day, since this year we did not purchase a dining package. We did indeed save money but the Tables of Wonderland would have saved us alot more. It would be nice if when you check into the resort and you are a DVC member that they would tell you these things. At least we think that. What do you think? Is there more little secrets that we dont know that we should? We are making another trip down next year. Any suggestions would be nice. It also seemed like if you were an Annual Pass holder that you got more discounts then what you do if you are a DVC member. For what we pay to be apart of this great organization it would be nice if we would get better discounts then an Annual pass holder.
__________________
Sheila
Sheilaniccum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran
 
Kidanifan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,720

The TIW card is listed on the homepage of the DVC member website. The member website is probably the best resource for learning about the various perks available to DVC members.

We love the TIW, although we also have an AP, so we get it for $75, instead of the DVC rate of $100. The AP is a great DVC member perk if you are able to get two trips within the same 12 month period.

I agree, it would be nice if the front desk would discuss the TIW at the time of check-in, but I would think most would need to spend some time reviewing the benefits of TIW before buying it on the spot. Since it costs $100, one would need to spend a minimum of $500 just to recoup the cost of the card. I suspect there are a number of DVC members who may not hit that, so it would be a time consuming sell for the front desk, considering that the majority of members probably would not buy it. It already seems like it takes too long to check-in.
__________________
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Yacht Club Feb '15, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaniccum View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question or maybe a comment to see what other DVC members think. We recently made a trip to WDW and used our DVC for the first time. We were handed our Perks pamphlet with our discounts, which I thought could have been better. Later in the trip, our 8th day out of 10, we learned that there was such a thing called "The Tables of Wonderland", which gave us 20% off at most of the restaurants. Unlike being a DVC did not give you a discount at most restaurants. This would have saved us alot more money if we would have known about this little perk before our 8th day, since this year we did not purchase a dining package. We did indeed save money but the Tables of Wonderland would have saved us alot more. It would be nice if when you check into the resort and you are a DVC member that they would tell you these things. At least we think that. What do you think? Is there more little secrets that we dont know that we should? We are making another trip down next year. Any suggestions would be nice. It also seemed like if you were an Annual Pass holder that you got more discounts then what you do if you are a DVC member. For what we pay to be apart of this great organization it would be nice if we would get better discounts then an Annual pass holder.
Hello and Welcome!!

You need to spend more time here. You'll learn all sorts of good things.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,596

I don't think they sell TiW cards at the resort, so there doesn't seem to be much point in them taking the time to plug it with guests.

DVC members weren't even permitted to buy it until this year or late last year, only FL residents or AP holders. I'm sure many at the resort check-ins know nothing about it.

I agree - if you want to know what the current perks are, check the member website, then you can follow up by looking in the book you get a check-in (since perks do change).

As for DVC vs. AP - it is what it is. For DVC members that have been around a while, you will see that many of us are very happy with the current perks because for the most part, they are better than they have been in the past with only 1 notable exception (we lost free valet parking a few years ago). We just received an additional discount on APs - now we receive $150 off the price of an AP, which is huge for those of us with APs.

As a new member, I think you should give up your ideas that we should be treated better than anyone else - AP holders, infrequent guests, etc. - you will just end up disappointed. Enjoy the perks for what they are - a limited time bonus that could change by your next trip.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaniccum View Post
... Later in the trip, our 8th day out of 10, we learned that there was such a thing called "The Tables of Wonderland", which gave us 20% off at most of the restaurants. Unlike being a DVC did not give you a discount at most restaurants. ....
Where did you find out about TIW? Was it in Portable Perks? Or did you hear about it somewhere else?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
zavandor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: An Italian in London
Posts: 947

TIW is a relatively new perk for members, maybe it's not yet in the Perks pamphlet because they have to finish the old run before printing new one with the new perk
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
ct_chris
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 79

Under Member Peaks page at DVCmember.com there is a pdf entitled

Special Member Privileges at the Walt Disney World® Resort
July–December 2012
(pdf)
http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc/...WDW-062512.pdf

TIW is listed on the top of page 3.
__________________
Me DW DD (7) DD (5)

First Family Trip, February 2011! BC (DW Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 Chip and Dale Marathon Relay, Polynesian
August 2012 AKV/BCV DVC
2013 5K (DD), Half Marathon (DW) and Marathon(DD), BCV DVC
ct_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaniccum View Post
For what we pay to be apart of this great organization it would be nice if we would get better discounts then an Annual pass holder.
As a consumer that's an easy impression to walk away with. Problem is Disney views it a little differently.

To Disney, they are offering 50 years worth of deep discounts on accommodations in return for that up-front payment. In the long run, you could save 60-70% vs someone who is not a DVC member. With those sorts of savings, Disney doesn't really feel DVC members are owed anything additional.

If you want to compare to Passholder discounts, it helps to realize that Annual Passes are sold by the same division which runs the theme parks. Its very easy for them to grant discounts on dining and merchandise since that's their own turf.

DVC is a separate division. It may seem natural to view Disney as one big organization with a single mind but in reality it's many different divisions looking out for their own turf. DVC actually has to negotiate (and beg, and plead) with Parks & Resorts management in order to obtain discounts. Unfortunately they cannot unilaterally decide to offer additional perks.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,209

DVC offers a big discount on annual passes, I think the cheaper TIW is an incentive to buy one.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Antonius215
Earning My Ears
 
Antonius215's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 17

My DW and I got the TIW card last year and we loooove it. As Florida residents we do get to Disney a few times a year, but it paid for itself on our first trip. My only regret is not knowing about it sooner!
Antonius215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,000

deleted
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavandor View Post
TIW is a relatively new perk for members, maybe it's not yet in the Perks pamphlet because they have to finish the old run before printing new one with the new perk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_chris View Post
Under Member Peaks page at DVCmember.com there is a pdf entitled

Special Member Privileges at the Walt Disney World® Resort
July–December 2012
(pdf)
http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc/...WDW-062512.pdf

TIW is listed on the top of page 3.
Uh, that's why I asked the OP where she found out about TIW. Whether she found it in Portable Perks which every member gets when they check in and should read when they check in. Or some other way.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
k3chantal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I don't think they sell TiW cards at the resort, so there doesn't seem to be much point in them taking the time to plug it with guests.

DVC members weren't even permitted to buy it until this year or late last year, only FL residents or AP holders. I'm sure many at the resort check-ins know nothing about it.

I agree - if you want to know what the current perks are, check the member website, then you can follow up by looking in the book you get a check-in (since perks do change).

As for DVC vs. AP - it is what it is. For DVC members that have been around a while, you will see that many of us are very happy with the current perks because for the most part, they are better than they have been in the past with only 1 notable exception (we lost free valet parking a few years ago). We just received an additional discount on APs - now we receive $150 off the price of an AP, which is huge for those of us with APs.

As a new member, I think you should give up your ideas that we should be treated better than anyone else - AP holders, infrequent guests, etc. - you will just end up disappointed. Enjoy the perks for what they are - a limited time bonus that could change by your next trip.
Vicki: When I read the OP I don't read a plea to be treated better than anyone else. She would just like to be communicated better with by DVC and for this part of Disney to hold themselves to the high standards of customer service Walt would want them to give. This is fair. Just because we have all committed to giving Disney our money for the next 50 years does not mean that customer service should be less. Part of the allure of membership is the "Welcome Home" and feeling like you are participating in something special. Because of the cost of this timeshare, it is something not everyone can afford. Disney should court us. You never know when more points will be purchased.
I found out about the TiW card from these boards and yes, I do go to DVC.com but it didn't 'click' that this would be something I would like to purchase until I read it on this website. Perhaps, if when you checked in, the CM said, "Don't forget to look over your perks,there are new ways to save some money' as they quickly lifted the pamphlet up and then back into the folder that would direct not so savvy owners to take a longer look.

I have been to WDW many times; this last trip there we took a detour and went to Universal for the first time and spent one night on their property. I must say I was MUCH more impressed with the staff at the Royal Pacific than at Kidani where I had just spent six nights. The Royal Pacific staff were amazing and practically tripped over themselves to make sure we were happy and knowledgable about their hotels and parks. I left that experience feeling like Disney has strong competition.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer
 
DizzyStitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
I have been to WDW many times; this last trip there we took a detour and went to Universal for the first time and spent one night on their property. I must say I was MUCH more impressed with the staff at the Royal Pacific than at Kidani where I had just spent six nights. The Royal Pacific staff were amazing and practically tripped over themselves to make sure we were happy and knowledgable about their hotels and parks. I left that experience feeling like Disney has strong competition.
I was just at Royal Pacific this past June and I agree they do so much for you. I just wish I liked the parks better. My kids were so tickled when a girl came around offering chilled towels. We had no idea what to think since we have never experienced this kind of stuff.
__________________
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaniccum View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question or maybe a comment to see what other DVC members think. We recently made a trip to WDW and used our DVC for the first time. We were handed our Perks pamphlet with our discounts, which I thought could have been better. Later in the trip, our 8th day out of 10, we learned that there was such a thing called "The Tables of Wonderland", which gave us 20% off at most of the restaurants. Unlike being a DVC did not give you a discount at most restaurants. This would have saved us alot more money if we would have known about this little perk before our 8th day, since this year we did not purchase a dining package. We did indeed save money but the Tables of Wonderland would have saved us alot more. It would be nice if when you check into the resort and you are a DVC member that they would tell you these things. At least we think that. What do you think? Is there more little secrets that we dont know that we should? We are making another trip down next year. Any suggestions would be nice. It also seemed like if you were an Annual Pass holder that you got more discounts then what you do if you are a DVC member. For what we pay to be apart of this great organization it would be nice if we would get better discounts then an Annual pass holder.
On one hand, all we bought was a timeshare and I think the membership has essentially proven they can't be satisfied so DVC and Disney don't try all that hard to do so in some areas. OTOH, I've posted several times over the past couple of years that we do non DVC trips and timeshares as well and I almost always find the effort and service to be much better everyone compared to DVC. We've been at 3 Marriott's 1 Bluegreen and 1 DVC resort thus far this year and find that comparatively we were treated better and more responsiveness at all compared to DVC. NOT that DVC was bad, just that in comparison, the others were even better.

I've come to the conclusion that it's related to 2 areas. One, that the others care about their ratings both compared to other club resorts and in II (RCI). The other is that the other companies rely on members for sales and DVC does not or assumes those that will buy will buy anyway. The other companies actively invite current members to tour again and try to get them to buy additional holdings.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: