Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #91
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz View Post
Oh my GOODNESS! Those tea room pics looked so yummy to me, I just tried to make a reservation for when we are going to be there.. No luck
I am gonna keep trying!
If you're trying to get a reservation with the website, it might not work, because the site is glitchy for the Garden View Lounge. I had to call directly the dining line to get in.

Good luck!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #92
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I love the picture of you with your pinky sticking out! Very cute! I love the pictures and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that you mentioned that the site doesn't always work for Garden View because I had tried to book an ADR and it's never been available. I will call now! I've never been in the GF and would love to eat here!

I just had to edit this because I called today and was able to get an ADR for our trip in Feb!!! Thank you so much for the valuable tip that we should call. I'm so excited!!

Last edited by Tracerr00; 11-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #93
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
If you're trying to get a reservation with the website, it might not work, because the site is glitchy for the Garden View Lounge. I had to call directly the dining line to get in.

Good luck!
YAY! I called and got one for the exact day/time I wanted! Thanks for the tip!!

wdwloverz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #94
krhst25
Mouseketeer

Joining in a little late... Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant although we had excellent food AND service at California Grill. The Red velvet cupcake is my favorite too... I want to try the carrot cake cookie in December.

krhst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #95
jmm476
DIS Veteran

The tea service looks fantastic! Not really DH's cup of tea (pun intended), will have to wait for my next girls' trip to experience that. It seems like a lot of food and a lot of fun.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #96
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I love the picture of you with your pinky sticking out! Very cute! I love the pictures and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that you mentioned that the site doesn't always work for Garden View because I had tried to book an ADR and it's never been available. I will call now! I've never been in the GF and would love to eat here!

I just had to edit this because I called today and was able to get an ADR for our trip in Feb!!! Thank you so much for the valuable tip that we should call. I'm so excited!!
Yay! Congrats on getting the ADR! It was such a great experience! I hope you enjoy!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #97
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz View Post
YAY! I called and got one for the exact day/time I wanted! Thanks for the tip!!
You're welcome! Hope you enjoy!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #98
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhst25 View Post
Joining in a little late... Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant although we had excellent food AND service at California Grill. The Red velvet cupcake is my favorite too... I want to try the carrot cake cookie in December.
Thank you for joining! The carrot cake is a must-try snack. Soooo good!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #99
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
The tea service looks fantastic! Not really DH's cup of tea (pun intended), will have to wait for my next girls' trip to experience that. It seems like a lot of food and a lot of fun.
It is a lot off food! Hope you get to experience it soon! Although I must say there were many men at the GV Lounge when we went.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #100
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

After tea, we made our way to Magic Kingdom, because this was MNSSHP night! When I purchased these tickets, DH had one request - to eat at the place that had the taco salad, AKA Peco's Bill.

Now every time we talk about the taco salad, we have a good chuckle because of this: Real Men of Genius

"Is your taco salad healthy? Of course it is, it's a salad, isn't it!"

So anyway, around 8:30 at night, we made our way to Peco's Bill to eat 5 pounds of condiments in a fried shell.

Once the salad was filled up -

And of course, DH could not resist a refill...

With a full belly, DH was content and ready to move on to the rest of the night.

We also had some snacks during the party. First off, a frozen coke from the Lunching Pad - love these when I need an energy boost.

Some nuts from a cart near Space Mountain - these nuts were such a great discovery. They sell them all over the place in little paper cones. One cone of these lasts me two days and they are still good at room temp. You have a choice of almonds or pecans, both cinnamon-glazed. It's a great pick-me up snack, since it's protein-filled. However, the nuts are a little on the sweet side.

After dinner, we also had one of these... No introduction needed, I think...

And just as we were leaving at the end of the party - it was past midnight a little, DH decided that he had not had his share of chocolate that day so we stopped at the Bakery. He got a piece of chocolate cake which hit the spot, but all in all, was quite ordinary. However, it was not dried out, which was a good thing!

At this point, I was starting the feel the heavy food, so I only got some carrots and celery. They were good, crisp and fresh. I did not eat the dip, so I can't comment on that - it was ranch. I also had a cup of caffeine juice.

And that concludes our day!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #101
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We got to Epcot the following morning around 11 o'clock for a Food and Wine "brunch". We actually grazed all afternoon, between some touring, movies and rides.

First booth we hit: Ireland, where we got the Fisherman's pie and the Irish coffee on ice.

Lobster and seafood fisherman's pie

This is overkill for me. We had it last year and I found it too rich and greasy. Same thing this year. It's good, but cream sauce, with rich mashed potatoes and melted cheese on top makes it simply to heavy for my taste. DH loves it, though, and we got many pieces of seafood. It is also a big portion.

Bunratty Potcheen Chilled Irish Coffee

Again, a pick mainly for DH. Boy this was strong! I was still in wake-up mode and this gave me a jolt! DH commented that it had more "Irish" than "coffee" in this and that made me laugh! We would get this again, but maybe not so early in the morning!

Then we stopped at the Canada booth for the anticipated filet.

"Le Cellier" wild mushroom beef filet mignon with truffle butter sauce

Definitely overcooked...

This was not a hit. The meat was tough and chewy and overcooked for my liking. I find that filet lacks in taste past the medium-rare cooking stage. My personal pick is rare, I know that it's not everyone's taste, but serving a filet medium well to well done is, for me, a sacrilege. Also note the lack of sauce. A couple of drops and it was tasteless. The mushrooms were comparable to those I make at home, so again, we were not blown away.

Next stop: Greece

Griddled Greek cheese with pistachios and honey

Very nice but a massive portion, much bigger than last year. It was hot and freshly made, a good thing because it tends to congeal quickly. Just the right amount of pistachios to add crunch and nice honey to contrast with the saltiness of the cheese. In my opinion, the most interesting dish of this booth.

At the Desserts and Champagne booth, we got the trio.

Yogurt panna cotta with orange cake, raspberries and pomegrenate, Lemon custard verrine with blueberry compote, dark chocolate mousse with chili and salted caramel

Last year, we were underwhelmed with the trio of desserts offered, so we wondered if it would be better this year. I must say we were happily surprised! All three were delicious. The chocolate mousse was DH's favourite, you could feel some heat from the chili and the caramel was nice and salty. The panna cotta had a nice not-too firm texture with a tart yogurt taste. The sauce and the cake added some fruity sweetness. The lemon custard was awesomely tart and fresh and paired so well with the blueberry. I just did not care for the crunchy bits on top since they were on the softer side, having absorbed humidity. This was a great value, too!

Hawai'i was next and I chose the tuna.

Tuna poke with seaweed salad and lotus root chip

Very good but not outstanding. The seaweed salad was your run of the mill wakame salad, the lotus chip did not add flavor, but the tuna was fresh, chilled and buttery. The chunks were quite big, too.

We hit Caribbean for a drink.

Bacardi Torched Cherry frozen cherry limeade

I love anything cherry and this did not disappoint. Great drink, more on the mellow side, not too sweet and awesome to drink in the hot sun to cool down.

We made our way to Argentina...

Grilled beef skewer with chimichurri sauce and boniato purée

The beef was surprisingly very tender, more than the Canadian filet. It was not overcooked, the sauce added a nice "herby" taste. The boniato purée was a little loose in texture, but still good, with a mellow taste. We enjoyed this dish a lot and would get it again.

We wanted to try the lamb at the Australia booth.

Grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies

Overcooked... again.

No pink whatsoever in the meat... so disappointing. There seems to be inconsistencies at this booth since I read reports of lamb underdone, too. Flavor-wise, we did not detect any real mint flavor, which was weird, the pesto was tasteless. The potato crunchies did not do it for me, they were of the salt and vinegar type and seemed a little stale. I preferred the potato salad last year. Also, the chop was really tiny. There were literally 2 small bites of meat on it and it was a little fatty.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #102
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We then headed to Scandinavia.

Xanté Sunshine

This was really nice with a pear taste that was out of the ordinary. It was stronger than I had expected.

Taste of Scandinavia - Cured Salmon, Herring and Shrimp Salad

This was one of our favorite dishes last year and again, it did not disappoint. The salmon was so good, I love that it is cured and not smoked, so no overpowering smoky flavor. The herring is buttery in texture, with a delicate taste. The shrimp salad is good, but a little heavy on mayo. It goes well on the cracker. The dill mustard is awesome with the fish. Everything was fresh and cold.

We stopped at the China booth.

Mongolian beef in a steamed bun

This was interesting in a very good way. The bun had a denser texture than the steamed buns we are used to eat, but was still good, hot and fresh. The shredded beef did not have a lot of flavor on it's own, but paired with the spicy sauce, it was really good. And those fried noodles added a great crunch factor to the dish. There were also some grilled onions on the bun.

South Korea was next.

Jinro Chamisul Soju Fruit Slushy

The cup was overflowing. Soju is a sweet potato alcool, but there was no distinct "boozy" taste to this drink. It was very weak and tasted a little like a tropical fruit slushy. Not very good, all in all. Would not get this again.

Lettuce wrap with roast pork and kimchi slaw

Very good this year again, but it is impossible to eat as a wrap as it leaks everywhere. We ate the filling with a fork. It's basically pulled pork, spicy slaw and a drizzle of a mayo-like sauce, but everything goes really well together and there is a nice spiciness.

We were off to the Brewer's Collection.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit

I'm not a beer fan, but this was right up my alley. A great citrus taste, cool, refreshing without being too "beery". I think the cup disappeared in less than 5 minutes.

While I was enjoying my beer, DH went to the cheese booth.

Artisan Cheese Selection

My favorite was the bleu, DH preferred the goat brie. We never met a cheese that we did not like, and we found that these were good, but somewhat on the tamer side, even the bleu. The cheddar was also good with the honey. The crouton was meh - it went in the trash.

Germany's turn...

Roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll

This is kinda funny looking after all the alcohol we had consumed... The sausage was good especially with the dark mustard, the roll was a little stale, so that was disappointing.

Two stops left for the afternoon...

Hops and Barley - Pumpkin mousse with Ocean Spray Craisins brand dried cranberries and orange sauce

Loved this, the flavors are perfect together, but the portion is tiny. It is not too sweet and nicely spiced. It tastes like autumn.

Fife and Drum - Red Stag Frozen Lemonade

I swear, this is one of the stronger drinks available at the Festival. Be warned. It is however awesome, a nice frozen lemonade with a distinct cherry taste. Great drink.

We made our way out while sipping on the lemonade, at this time it was diner time for most and the crowds were picking up. I was a little tipsy, DH was near a food coma and we were ready for a rest at the hotel.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #103
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Great brunch/lunch around the world!

I'm sorry your Filet from Canada was not good. Ours was delicious! I really wanted the lamb chop but we never made it there :-( Also my Torched Cherry drink from Caribbean was so tart and had no alcohol in it that I could tell. That was a disappointment as I love Torched Cherry Bacardi.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #104
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Great F&W Post! i am so jealous you got to try the grapefruit beer! It was sold out when I was there.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: